The Chateau Diaries #4 Jarvis in Jeopardy

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry to say that champagne is very expensive in France too. Most French people don't drink champagne. At least, not the champagne they drink at Lalande.
French people are interested in foreigners living with them. Ask Dan the gardener and his wife.
They welcome and help them if these foreigners want to be part of their local community.
That doesn't seem the case of Lalande despite Isabelle being French.

Whatever. I give up.
She does have an association LOI 1901 now. (Non profit non taxable). Unless she wants to get everything for free (materials, working hours etc).
Not sure Stephanie is good in understanding French system, lake, taxes, internet and so on. Must be exhausting to work for her.
Stephanie, for all her charm, would be an absolute nightmare to work for as she doesn't- or won't - absorb or pay attention to the big, important details. She is intelligent but is also really quite dim. An odd amalgamation of sophisticated yet unworldly, educated yet naive, fascInating yet exasperating.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Stephanie, for all her charm, would be an absolute nightmare to work for as she doesn't- or won't - absorb or pay attention to the big, important details. She is intelligent but is also really quite dim. An odd amalgamation of sophisticated yet unworldly, educated yet naive, fascInating yet exasperating.
Absolutely spot on !

• Heart
Reactions: 9
@Seeingitasitis If the chateau diary video content was improving I would fully appreciate the monetisation but sadly (and yes Covid is partly to blame!) it’s not. There are too many videos with content spread so thinly you can see through it. More is not always better.
She has always had extravagant tastes, it comes with her territory, and the superfans/gifts just bump it up. That is why they send what they send otherwise it would be Tetley tea and Asti coming in box loads. It is excessive to a point as it is a lifestyle I certainly can’t imagine but then maybe that’s why I like watching, just not paying for. 🤷

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
All good. Yeah I am the beetroot queen around here😊
OMG, unbelievable good! I need to know if you this for a living?
Why, a humble hedgehog thank you 😌. I like mucking about with words to counter a science focus in my life ( although acknowledge that good science needs good words now more than ever!). Anyway, this poem was mangled for a TV ad and I thought ‘that lends itself to our hapless SJ and friends’.

Money follows success. I don't see anything wrong with it. She works for her money and TBH she's not making that much (after taxes.) She's not in her way becoming a millionaire any time soon.
I agree with you except for the last bit. She already is a paper millionaire, I am sure. So much of her vlogging will be tax deductible as there will be so much she can claim for - every hotel room, car costs, clothing, restaurant meal, public transport and entrance fee. But why not? The Strawbridges are now millionaires a few times over - even with lockdown hitting their business. I have no doubt that SJ is capable of the same success, if not more so.

I've always felt weird about supporting SJ given how well off she is already. All the Patreon revenue and gifting are just subsidizing her lifestyle and she has expensive tastes. A part of me wishes she is more self-aware of her own privilege. She has been extremely lucky and even through her "hardships" she can always count on her parents or her friends to bail her out. But the charm of Lalande is how much it exists outside of the normal turbulences of life.

She works extremely hard on her vlogs so props to her for her YouTube success. I think she deserves every cent she earns through ads. The Patreon and gifting I feel more ambivalent towards.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I wonder why she hasn't made a patreon interview with Marie yet? Even not with Micheal? She made one where Michael is interviewing her with the same questions she usually asks. So there was a opportunity to do it. Also Michael Potts/Ruth or Nick/Marie have to be done.
Now when the Patreon money has started to flow and Nic&MPotts are profiting indirectly from it, it's time for their interviews. Nic doesn't have to be part of the vlog, but he needs to take off that stupid paper bag for once and let Steph interview him for patreons.

Reactions: 8
If you don't use this superpower for work, I think you've missed a vocation in life. Superb! Awesome! Get illustrating @ChocLili we want to see it in a book or animation :love:
So because Tattle doesn’t allow one word replies (use the reactions they say) this paragraph is purely to fool the algorithm.

Thank-you

Reactions: 7
I would agree to disagree. Life is more complicated than 2 apartments or1 house. But that's not the point of this forum.

She has only 2 ex boyfriends around her still stuck to her despite their own family being there too.
Ah and a supposed boyfriend somewhere in America too busy to be gazing at the sun to bother coming to Lalande (even before lockdown).
Oliver... Ok but he rarely visits or only for a few days or somewhere else on holidays monitored by his wife.
David... He has disappeared even before lockdown.
Ruthie (MPotts current gfriend) seems to barely tolerate being filmed. Oliver’s wife who is stunning only seemed to be jealous that SJ had fancier accommodations. Nic’s wife Marie does not seem to spend any one on one time with SJ either. It is very odd that a 45 year old woman does not have any female friends her age and from her same background ie: Oxford. And who wouldn’t want to come party in a Château in France for the weekend? God knows her Uni crowd has means and most of them have had careers too. For friends SJ basically has sycophants ie volunteers.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I've always felt weird about supporting SJ given how well off she is already. All the Patreon revenue and gifting are just subsidizing her lifestyle and she has expensive tastes. A part of me wishes she is more self-aware of her own privilege. She has been extremely lucky and even through her "hardships" she can always count on her parents or her friends to bail her out. But the charm of Lalande is how much it exists outside of the normal turbulences of life.

She works extremely hard on her vlogs so props to her for her YouTube success. I think she deserves every cent she earns through ads. The Patreon and gifting I feel more ambivalent towards.
Yes! I wholeheartedly agree. I cannot understand why people willingly give an already wealthy person money to fund their private vanity project. There are so many more deserving causes.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Ruthie (MPotts current gfriend) seems to barely tolerate being filmed. Oliver’s wife who is stunning only seemed to be jealous that SJ had fancier accommodations. Nic’s wife Marie does not seem to spend any one on one time with SJ either. It is very odd that a 45 year old woman does not have any female friends her age and from her same background ie: Oxford. And who wouldn’t want to come party in a Château in France for the weekend? God knows her Uni crowd has means and most of them have had careers too. For friends SJ basically has sycophants ie volunteers.
My friend made a similar point about Stephanie’s lack of female friends. It’s very strange that someone who is so bubbly doesn’t have any female friends. The volunteers don’t count. It’s very strange and maybe offers a little insight into what she’s like when the cameras aren’t rolling.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Yes! I wholeheartedly agree. I cannot understand why people willingly give an already wealthy person money to fund their private vanity project. There are so many more deserving causes.
I think most patreons only give a small amount in return for content - which is my motivation. It isn't really the poor giving to the rich as I really enjoy the patreon vids. What I give to charity is for altruistic reasons. I am sure there are very wealthy patreons who give because they can afford to fund SJ and really like her. Others may enjoy seeing the chateau renovated. And sadly, there are some, mentioning no names, who appear to have become patreons entirely for their own personal financial gain which is sad - but there will always be "hangers on"

My friend made a similar point about Stephanie’s lack of female friends. It’s very strange that someone who is so bubbly doesn’t have any female friends. The volunteers don’t count. It’s very strange and maybe offers a little insight into what she’s like when the cameras aren’t rolling.
Just because Stephanie does not seem to have female friends, it does not mean she does not have any. However, she seems to prefer male friends and many women do. I prefer female friends, My sister prefers male ones. Let's look at what she does have - loyal, long standing close male friends. A mother who does an enormous amount for her. Volunteers who seem to adore her. I actually think she has done very well. Some people do not have any friends, let alone a best friend. And if she is short of a loyal female friend, which I very much doubt, I will step in as I am sure would many others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
Maybe her girlfriends don't like to be filmed and Steph edits them out?

I stand corrected :)
I don't like medical diagnosis (peter pan syndrome, covert narcissism) thrown at people we don't know.
u don't know or don't want to know?
people tell you everything even in few words, you don't need to know their whole life to connect it, if you know what to connect,
at the end of the day the name of the diagnosis is nothing it is far more complex than just some label, but if you want to know more this is the direction for your own research

also you dont have to like something for it to reflect the reality, it is just what it is, it doesn't give it good/bad connotation either, it is just to enlighten the ones who cannot point the finger on what they see

and then once you know it is up to you to decide if you take the whole package or you skip it altogether

Last edited:
More and more on this thread, you can see who is a Patreon and who is not a Patreon.
It could be used by students in sociology / psychology for their case study 😂
Fascinating.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
More and more on this thread, you can see who is a Patreon and who is not a Patreon.
It could be used by students in sociology / psychology for their case study 😂
Fascinating.
I love to observe people, the lalaland is like a tiny microcosms and it comes with its own fan-club which one can observe as a part of the study (eg. what effect does lalaland have on the perception of an average patreon, what reaction does the objective critique evokes ...)

Last edited:
  • Heart

Here's a link to an old video with Stephanie singing.
If one of you detectives could find some operas with her - that would be great!

I agree with you except for the last bit. She already is a paper millionaire, I am sure. So much of her vlogging will be tax deductible as there will be so much she can claim for - every hotel room, car costs, clothing, restaurant meal, public transport and entrance fee. But why not? The Strawbridges are now millionaires a few times over - even with lockdown hitting their business. I have no doubt that SJ is capable of the same success, if not more so.
That is if she didn't forget to collect the bills and receipts, 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Well, as you can see from my first post earlier I am new here and not quite got the hang of it yet - I was trying to say well done to @ChocLili for the poem but the first bit of my reply disappeared.
Anyway, hello everyone and thanks so much to one and all for helping me escape from the clutches of the sugary sweetness of Lalande superfans. My wellies were being sucked off trying to wade through all that treacle on the SJ vlog comments and facebook page offerings. My own fault, I know, for falling under the spell of SJ and filling pointless hours with reading it all. I still love her youtube vlogs and admire so much about her, but have been increasingly uneasy about so much about the whole setup. I began to think I was a Very Bad Person, because all I could see were adoring comments. I now know (thanks to you all) that negative comments were deleted, but I am not very wise to the ways of social media etc. - and I thought I was the one out of step and shame on me for daring to think anything other than good things. I'm all for positive reinforcement, unconditional love and support, but come on, nothing is that good all the time! So, it's great to find a place where I can feel more at home and can feel human again.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.