The Chateau Diaries #4 Jarvis in Jeopardy

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was making a supportive point as your first post, that I quoted, came across as you having an intolerant attitude to PP's food allergies and then you explained your experience (therefore empirical)
And yes we are also nightshade free too. I have coeliac disease and a dairy allergy and of course I also cater for other peoples dietary needs / allergies / intolerances / dislikes. No nuts on the dinner table either or citrus.
Do you eat Nomato sauce as a substitute ? I make my own from beetroot and carrots then use that as a base for all the tomato based dishes I miss. Ketchup, pizzas, sweet and sour sauce for instance.
All good. Yeah I am the beetroot queen around here😊
Just Brilliant ! think this poem can be turned into a book. And a movie..... 📖 🎥
OMG, unbelievable good! I need to know if you this for a living?

Reactions: 3
I noticed someone in comments is asking for a breakdown of where the ad revenue is going in the renovations...not been deleted yet and it would be interesting to know where the pennies made from that is used. (I used to watch them but stopped as soon as gift-gate started and patreon skyrocketed). Funnily they also seemed to sarcastically comment on the new porcelain straight after enquiring about fund usage....👀
My understanding, and I am quite prepared to be corrected on this, is as follows: SJ has handed over the running of the B&B and workshops to Nati, who is a paid employee, paid from the profit for these, or in the event of loss, costs are covered by SJ. B&B expenses will continue to at least cover the expenses of the volunteers and SJ herself with accommodation costs, food, car expenses etc. For personal income, SJ is and will use the ad revenue from all channels with the exception of the gift one. As well as her personal expenses, depending on income, she may be able to fund elements of the chateau works which do not meet the regulations of the not for profit Patreon account, e;g; the swimming pool. (although some of that might be able to be written off on B&B losses as guests will be able to use it), Expenses from you tube ad revenue that are for accommodation whilst filming, meals whilst filming, entrance fees, even clothes and items brought for demonstration, equipment for filming and editing should all be tax deductible from the monies before SJ receives a net amount. To me, all this is perfectly acceptable. SJ is providing content to subscribers in return for being paid. She therefore will not need, nor want to use Patreon funds for personal expenses. Obviously. if she has other income streams from inheritance, private investments, or subsidy from family, that is none of our business.

Reactions: 18
I thought the same @Calvignac. I didn't see aggression or bitterness in @sandro37 post. She took the words right out of my head.

There was nothing aggressive or bitter about the original post. Actually we are very tame here, go over to guru gossip and that's something else. LOL!! I would never give anything valuable of mine to Lalande, I really hope she shuts down the gift giving vlogs, but she seems to be a hoarder so I doubt it anytime soon. I wonder if Michael's sudden popularity with this channel rubbed her the wrong way? I'm certain he brought a lot of views to her vlogs. I just took a look at his gofund me page and it's well over the limit by now and people are still donating.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
My understanding, and I am quite prepared to be corrected on this, is as follows: SJ has handed over the running of the B&B and workshops to Nati, who is a paid employee, paid from the profit for these, or in the event of loss, costs are covered by SJ. B&B expenses will continue to at least cover the expenses of the volunteers and SJ herself with accommodation costs, food, car expenses etc. For personal income, SJ is and will use the ad revenue from all channels with the exception of the gift one. As well as her personal expenses, depending on income, she may be able to fund elements of the chateau works which do not meet the regulations of the not for profit Patreon account, e;g; the swimming pool. (although some of that might be able to be written off on B&B losses as guests will be able to use it), Expenses from you tube ad revenue that are for accommodation whilst filming, meals whilst filming, entrance fees, even clothes and items brought for demonstration, equipment for filming and editing should all be tax deductible from the monies before SJ receives a net amount. To me, all this is perfectly acceptable. SJ is providing content to subscribers in return for being paid. She therefore will not need, nor want to use Patreon funds for personal expenses. Obviously. if she has other income streams from inheritance, private investments, or subsidy from family, that is none of our business.
I understood that Nati and Dan the gardener were both paid with Patreon funds ?
PS there's no BnB business at all at the moment

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I understood that Nati and Dan the gardener were both paid with Patreon funds ?
PS there's no BnB business at all at the moment
I would not disagree. I am absolutely sure you are correct about Dan and so the same may be true for Nati, but I do not know. I know there was some concern about Nati being secure in her position and SJ confirmed that it was because she would make it so. Yes, there is no B&B - it is always seasonal but she will still have much to do, I am sure. People have queries and want to book all year round, volunteers need to be corresponded with etc.

Reactions: 3
I would not disagree. I am absolutely sure you are correct about Dan and so the same may be true for Nati, but I do not know. I know there was some concern about Nati being secure in her position and SJ confirmed that it was because she would make it so. Yes, there is no B&B - it is always seasonal but she will still have much to do, I am sure. People have queries and want to book all year round, volunteers need to be corresponded with etc.
My point was that there hasn't been any BnB business at all this year (since the first lockdown in March). And no workshops either.
BnB money couldn't have covered all these expenses in any way.
Curious to know if Stephanie gives any details about this to her Patreons ?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Something happened between SJ n MP.It happened between her picking him up from Basimer,whatever and his mom collecting him.
I think something was found out.Its why I found here.Alot of denial but I've watched the slow removal of MP from the picture with interest.
I never felt Isobel liked him.
Spot on. I have been questioning exactly this point for a while now ... just no references to him at all - not even a casual mention of his name for weeks now. It particularly threw up a red flag for me when SJ said she’d be ‘doing the advent calendar with Phillipe’ ... no ‘sorry you won’t be seeing Michael this time’ attached to that throwaway remark .... and then again no mention of him in connection with the bedroom that she assigned to him (for new decorating project) when SJ mention Nati moving in there - albeit temporarily. It’s as if Stephanie is going to gently (or otherwise) airbrush Michael Petherick from her inner circle. Also no reference ever again to their Chateau Excursion channel .... i know there’s lockdown but it seems to have died a death.
I also feel a slight frost emanating from Isobel towards Michael ... it’s barely discernible but it’s there ...

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Spot on. I have been questioning exactly this point for a while now ... just no references to him at all - not even a casual mention of his name for weeks now. It particularly threw up a red flag for me when SJ said she’d be ‘doing the advent calendar with Phillipe’ ... no ‘sorry you won’t be seeing Michael this time’ attached to that throwaway remark .... and then again no mention of him in connection with the bedroom that she assigned to him (for new decorating project) when SJ mention Nati moving in there - albeit temporarily. It’s as if Stephanie is going to gently (or otherwise) airbrush Michael Petherick from her inner circle. Also no reference ever again to their Chateau Excursion channel .... i know there’s lockdown but it seems to have died a death.
I also feel a slight frost emanating from Isobel towards Michael ... it’s barely discernible but it’s there ...
A slight frost from Isabelle towards Michael ? I would call it North Pole 😂
It's obvious. She can hardly hide it.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
My point was that there hasn't been any BnB business at all this year (since the first lockdown in March). And no workshops either.
My understanding is - and this is not gospel - just what I have gathered: There has been some guests etc this year. It is just that the season was extremely short - but the season in France is always short. I am sure there will have been some losses this year - these losses are always written off against future income. Any shortfalls are met from the co-owners in proportion to their ownership - the subsidy comes from their assets and incomes. I think they have always tried to make the chateau as self financing as possible but income may fall a little short and this will be made up by the co-owners. They will be willing to do this, because it probably is not that much in relation to their incomes, losses are tax deductible, they get to stay there whenever they want, and, most importantly, the value of the chateau (even without renovation) will have increased massively from the £590,000 they paid for it fifteen years ago. Now, all work will be done via Patreon, it makes their original and any subsequent investment, very worthwhile indeed.

Reactions: 8
Steph has not told anything detailed how the salaries for Selmar, Dan or Nati are paid. She just explained that Selmar's and Dan's salaries can be paid through the non-profit and Nati's salary has to be funded otherwise. We don't know if this non-profit has been established. Steph can use Patreon money as she wishes after she's paid ~50% taxes. If she decides to pay the taxes and not channel the money to the non-profit, Patreon money will become her personal income.

Even she says all Patreon money will go to restoration, there's a loop hole, she's collecting funds for both restoration AND vlogging. Basically Patreon money can be used for Nati's salary, because it frees her to vlog full time. There's no obligation to specify in detail how the money is spent, we'll just have to take her word for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I just LOOOVE Kat !!

Yesterday with the kitchen cocktails, Kat comes in in her working clothes. SJ asks her if she didn't get the robe memo? Apperantly not.. Kat disappears for a while and comes back with Mandy, in robes you would think, but NO; both in their matching PJ's !

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Steph has not told anything detailed how the salaries for Selmar, Dan or Nati are paid. She just explained that Selmar's and Dan's salaries can be paid through the non-profit and Nati's salary has to be funded otherwise. We don't know if this non-profit has been established. Steph can use Patreon money as she wishes after she's paid ~50% taxes. If she decides to pay the taxes and not channel the money to the non-profit, Patreon money will become her personal income.
You are right. However, she has clearly stated that she is setting up a non profit for Patreon money. I would have thought that the Patreon money will be easily swallowed up as non profit as there is so much to do for the renovation. I suppose, if she wanted to use Patreon money for things that cannot be channelled through non profit, she could split the fund and pay tax on the element she wanted to use differently e.g. swimming pool. But I think she would discuss this and get the agreement of patrons as she will not want to lose their support and the funding. At the start, people gave willingly, even realising that tax would be deducted. Later announcements that it was non profit reassured investors that money was not being used to fund a lavish lifestyle whilst the chateau went unrepaired. I pay my Patreon contribution purely for content, and do not care what she does with it.

Reactions: 6
She does actually give quite a bit of informations. Dan is paid by patreon because garden is considerd restoring of the château. I remember there was a bit of B&B though. She gives also a summary every now and then. Soon there should be another one. Also she wants to make an end of the year breakdown. But I think that's totally up to her. She promised to do it but she doesn't need to. I am not sure if the earnings up till now can be non profit or only those in future once she has registered the château?

I just LOOOVE Kat !!

Yesterday with the kitchen cocktails, Kat comes in in her working clothes. SJ asks her if she didn't get the robe memo? Apperantly not.. Kat disappears for a while and comes back with Mandy, in robes you would think, but NO; both in their matching PJ's !
They probably don't have any robes.

Reactions: 5
Something happened between SJ n MP.It happened between her picking him up from Basimer,whatever and his mom collecting him.
I think something was found out.Its why I found here.Alot of denial but I've watched the slow removal of MP from the picture with interest.
I never felt Isobel liked him.
Maybe he was the one that was found flat out after sneaking into the alcohol storage room. (*Don't know where I got that from, must have been on here surely. I have the memory of it being directed towards Tomaz.)
He may also have some hoofing issues. I wouldn't be surprised given the party scene he was involved with when he in Manchester for 10 yrs. Just because he parties doesn't mean he definitely does, just saying I wouldn't be surprised. Face of an angel and all that ..

• Haha
Reactions: 7
She does actually give quite a bit of informations. Dan is paid by patreon because garden is considerd restoring of the château. I remember there was a bit of B&B though. She gives also a summary every now and then. Soon there should be another one. Also she wants to make an end of the year breakdown. But I think that's totally up to her. She promised to do it but she doesn't need to. I am not sure if the earnings up till now can be non profit or only those in future once she has registered the château?

I dont see Cat as a robe kind of girl-she seems happier in a pair of jogging bottoms and T-shirt although I’m sure One Hundred Stars will be on it straight away.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10

And I am sure some eagle eyed chateau fans will soon correct that or One Hundred Stars will send them. And why not? Cat certainly contributes to, and enhances the Vlog content no end.

I dont see Cat as a robe kind of girl-she seems happier in a pair of jogging bottoms and T-shirt although I’m sure One Hundred Stars will be on it straight away.
Agree. I think both girls would look well in them.

Reactions: 5
A slight frost from Isabelle towards Michael ? I would call it North Pole 😂
It's obvious. She can hardly hide it.
Actually I don't think she likes anybody. Selmar, Ian 1+2 and Dan are ok as long they do some work she benefits from. But I feel she won't miss Marie, Philip, Tomaz or even Nati. Marie does work but then it is only cooking to feed the volunteers. Putting some flowers in a vase she can do herself once a week. Nati is polite and all, but only because SJ considers her very organized and hard working because she does the boring desk job it does not mean she is superwoman. Opening the parcels and answering some emails is not overwhelming work and she can do it all dressed up. If French emails or business correspondence come in she still can't answer them. Or answer the phone. It would be more reasonable to hire a French person from the village. But then that's not their thing😊

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.