The Chateau Diaries #4 Jarvis in Jeopardy

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Christmas cake is doomed without brown sugar. Chateau de Lalande is doomed without brown sugar. Why, all of France is doomed without brown sugar. How can such a gastronomic country not have any brown sugar within its borders? Surely there is brown sugar elsewhere in the EU that could somehow be transported to Lalande (and the wider countryside) without too much fuss? Can an American superfan please send some trans-Atlantic brown sugar pronto in time to save the Christmas cake (and France). Thank you.
It's ok, don't panic, Prince Billy is on his way. The cakes of France will be saved! Sacrebleu!
1605885934034.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
SJ is a performer at heart. She wanted to have an opera career and want to be a hostess to extravagant parties. I think in the earlier vlogs, we see her being more natural, but now that the vlogs/Patreon have taken off, she feels the need to put on a show all the time. I do think that is how she is naturally, but it's just gotten more extreme now that she has this platform.

Reactions: 12
She said she never wanted an opera career and nowadays never chooses to listen to opera or any other music. She was pushed into training as a singer by Isabelle.

I agree the chateau is her Wendy House and also that she is best suited to more adult, educated, and cultured company. The current crop of volunteers are often fun but come across as pretty boring for conversation unless we are missing something.

I also think that covid and lockdowns have been the main spoilers this year. She had some interesting plans in the pipeline, and I think might have gone down a different path than frequent vlogs and cadeaux vlogs had she been both busier at home and away on history research visits.

Reactions: 15
Just watched last nights vlog with my morning cuppa.
How many aprons😲?! Steph could insulate the roof with them. I hope all the ‘gems’ from the peacock brooch remained in place otherwise someone will get a Lalalande surprise on Christmas Day when they bite into their Christmas cake.
Sadly yet more expensive crockery.....although Steph always has to justify why she bought it to all and sundry so there is an element of shame in the wasteful spending.

@frenchessence Yes I noticed the reappropriation of MPs bedroom! We should be thankful she didn’t say Ps new room🤭
I really think she was dropping hints for the Gift Grab. Why not tell them exactly what you want? 😆

Think she means this type of sugar which doesn't seem to be available in France
View attachment 317579
Cane Sugar vs Beet Sugar
Back up the delivery truck because we will soon see as much brown sugar arriving much like the pink gravel was dumped off. Oh along with the worlds most expansive replacement pencils!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
You know when people marry someone for particular traits eg.being sociable, carefree etc and then spend all their time either trying to change them or get fed up with them specifically because of those traits? Is something like this what’s happening with some people and our Stephanie? I’m as cynical as the best of us but I don’t see her as particularly different to how she’s always been. She’s always been slightly flighty, enthusiastic and at times disorganised but she has also managed to oversee the chateau’s transformation from a building site to what it is now. I still believe she’s genuine and honest (not that anyone on here particularly thinks otherwise) and she still brings me a lot of pleasure. Still love you al! 😘
Also people tend to be extra critical with people they love most 😍😊

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I really think she was dropping hints for the Gift Grab. Why not tell them exactly what you want? 😆

Back up the delivery truck because we will soon see as much brown sugar arriving much like the pink gravel was dumped off. Oh along with the worlds most expansive replacement pencils!
Your right, there will be lorry loads of Spode fleur de lys heading its way to la lande . Stephanie can purchase whatever she wants , but to choose to film it is quite cynical, cue lots of fake surprise and delight on cadeaux at the chateau ?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Was there a hint in SJs cake recipe........she mentioned there were no nuts so it was ok for Nic to eat(✔) but no mention of all the citrus in the mixed fruit mix so either P won’t be around at Christmas or she’s not bothered about catering to his allergy(✔)
Snap 💯✅✅✅✅✅

Methinks she might have a new video coming with MP .... June’s latest tragedy

Why would PP think 🤔
He could eat Christmas 🎄 cake

Je suits desolation.... it was his allergy non ??

LOTL is slippery than we give her credit for ✅💝😝😝😝🤕

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I thought Nati was heading home. Am in SF and we are too inundated with our own Covid coverage and now curfews so no idea if they even leave the ShatO at this point. Other than Ryan of course!
At the moment no one can fly from the UK unless it is for business, maybe its the same for France :unsure:

Reactions: 3
@Calvignac and @Mand I think you are being very unfair to comment on the brown sugar issue. There is probably NO brown sugar in the small Brit food section of her local supermarket.😏

By the way, I’ve just noticed in my previous rambling I spelt heirloom wrong- it was auto correct, not me 🤓
To be fair .... if your of a certain age ... cough
The Rolling Stones ... brown sugar .....
Is in this modern times .... snow ❄

Think it was tounge in cheek no brown sugar here 😝😝😝😝

Reactions: 1
To be fair .... if your of a certain age ... cough
The Rolling Stones ... brown sugar .....
Is in this modern times .... snow ❄
You've got me there @MojoDublin :unsure: I don't get it, please explain ..
Drugs reference ?? cause brown sugar sure is an offensive song in other ways but so was Mick Jagger to Marsha Hunt

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
@C'est la vie @frenchessence Yes I noticed the reappropriation of MPs bedroom! We should be thankful she didn’t say Ps new room🤭

I'm actually more worried that it means pp has moved into sj's room! I wonder if they'll reveal that they are hooking up in a vlog - i reckon public opinion of both sj and pp would plummet after that. He is over 20 years younger than her and sickeningly sycophantic. Hopefully, the whole thing will be extremely short-lived. A lockdown romance borne out of necessity, soon forgotten when new excitement comes back to the chateau.

i think mp has taken to sleeping in the more luxe b and b rooms. last time he was there, i remember the mention of the smell of his perfume when they were in one of the plusher rooms. take from that what you will. either sj distancing herself from him, physically and emotionally, or mp decides he is too good for the undecorated rooms and has more expensive tastes now...

Reactions: 4
Talking about French food, isn't it funny that she exports chefs from UK to cook for her workshops? If I'd participate in a workshop held in a chateau, I'd expect French cuisine. Otherwise it's completely understandable to cook British comfort food to feel like home: shepherds pies, apple crumble and such. Only thing French in their dinner table is the cheese platter, the mother of all French cuisine cliches. The volunteers aren't getting a very French experience, French language and food is missing, the most important part IMO.

I sometimes wonder why SJ is even in France. She would've surely bought an English country house if she'd have afforded one?
@C'est la vie @frenchessence
i think mp has taken to sleeping in the more luxe b and b rooms. last time he was there, i remember the mention of the smell of his perfume when they were in one of the plusher rooms. take from that what you will. either sj distancing herself from him, physically and emotionally, or mp decides he is too good for the undecorated rooms and has more expensive tastes now...
Their relationship is changing into more collegial one. They'll see each other less and less, they're so busy. Of course you'll accommodate your friend to a better room if possible :)

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I went to booking.com because I’m bored with lockdown and during the winter only Michael Potts’ apartment and that Renaissance apartment are for rent (can’t recall the proper name but Selmer toiled in the toilet and PP helped put odd Renaissance Faire Henry the 8th looking furniture in it). Potts’ is rarely available so he or Hanni must be coming back. So no need to pay Nati all winter if only dealing with one apartment to potentially manage (bearing in mind if the lockdown is lifted). Let’s hope someone can stay. No way in hell would I stay one second in the ShatO by my lonesome. I always am in awe that SJ has!
I believe SJ has delegated pretty much everything to Nati. Including reading Tattle, so please Nati when you find time, create more playlists (brocantes, cooking, house tour, gardening highlights...) for us 😀 there's so many videos it's difficult to find certain subjects.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Nati is moving her desk "to the bedroom directly above Nics bedroom" (min. 4:44) !
No I think Nati is definitely going into Nics old bedroom. There was a ‘comma’ after directly above. The chateau is only two floors, then the attic.
Snap ! my thought exactly ... I mentioned that this morning ... wondering what MP would think about this - & saying there hadn’t been any mention of him - or a reference to the earlier blogs where SJ said it would now be MP’s bedroom when he stayed there.

I think this may be the new ‘appalling art’ debate ... is it ‘directly above, Nic’s bedroom’ or is it ‘directly above Nic’s bedroom ‘ ???
I think the former ‘directly above, Nic’s bedroom ! ‘ ..... ie Nati is moving INTO Nic’s bedroom - not above it 😁 that would surely be in the attic ?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I think this may be the new ‘appalling art’ debate ... is it ‘directly above, Nic’s bedroom’ or is it ‘directly above Nic’s bedroom ‘ ???
I think the former ‘directly above, Nic’s bedroom ! ‘ ..... ie Nati is moving INTO Nic’s bedroom - not above it 😁 that would surely be in the attic ?
There's no room above Nic's bedroom? It's already under the eaves?

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.