Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pekey

VIP Member
We expected an increase in traffic but strangely this hasn't happened, it's dramatically decreased. Perhaps because people were forced to take alternate routes during the last 2 1/2 years while work was completed and have decided to continue travelling on those alternate routes.
I am hoping this will continue and the traffic does not come back for you !!
One house is sold, then it gets pulled down and bloody hell ..... one or three townhouses come up !!!
I am not happy about all these huge towers and I heard that Box Hill Hospital will have to be increased for all the people coming in ..... I can sadly see that pretty park over the road from the hospital being used for this! :devilish:

• Sad
Reactions: 14

Bleu Lala

Chatty Member
Evil Under the Sun is worth the watch if only to see Smith and Rigg try to outdo each other chewing the scenery!😝
AND the amazing costumes and hats!!!! We watched this a couple of months ago and it was fabulous, other than the overly complicated resolution.

• Heart

graciemckitten

VIP Member
Will Dan show up at the Dump for the 2024 Patron extravaganza? He showed up last year at the Dump on August 8th and/or 9th, 2023.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Fromthenorth

Working as a medieval herber, can you, if you have a moment, talk a little about what flowers really are edible?
This woman presses them before use, which sounds promising.
I have Walter Eynard's La Cucina Valdese, and a massive Italian-English dictionary -- Waldensians great hillbillies, isolated for religious reasons, foraging Italian alps of everything. And Eynard developed a restaurant cuisine around this herbal (and medicinal) knowledge. I got turned on to this trying to catch a glimpse of the gorgeous weeds around Martijn Doolaard's cowsheds -- and there are interesting lists of the local herbs (edible, medicinal, veterinary) foraged by the Waldensians, and their common Italian names. Oh what a nerd am I!
A bunch of Waldensians immigrated to North Carolina mountains, very proud of heritage, published cookbook, rather different from Eynard's, still interesting if you're into diaspora cooking (I guess NC would be the Waldensians' third diaspora -- medieval France, Italian Alps, NC). Lime Jello Punch, yas ma'am! Also blackberry wine recipes.
You might like this :

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Beachgirl

VIP Member
Waitrose is my online trolley of choice! I did a massive price comparison spreadsheet to prove to a friend that it’s not wildly expensive to shop there (or it doesn’t have to be wildly expensive, if one doesn’t get led astray by extravagant treats!).

Both Sainsbury’s and Tesco do similar frozen Med style veg - I haven’t tried the Tesco version but have had it from Sainbugs. (I think both S and T include aubergine in their frozen Med veg.)

Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs are brilliant, and I use them lots - much more “forgiving” (it’s virtually impossible to overcook them!) than boneless/skinless which can dry out.

The frozen diced Med veg is a good stand-by to chuck into pasta towards the end of its cooking time. When the pasta is fully cooked, drain, add some seasoning, lots of Parmesan or any grated cheese on top and, VIOLA, you’ve got supper in about 10 minutes with absolutely zero effort. Which, some days, ticks all my boxes.
I’ve not had a proper shop from Waitrose since I scrapped my car. I use Sainsbury’s for online shopping because I just go into my previous orders and click on those. I think I will do an online Waitrose order this weekend.
my pasta go to is pesto, I always keep a jar in the fridge and I agree with using the bone in skin on chicken thighs as well.
I have 3 Waitrose within 4 miles of where I live so hopefully I will get a Sunday slot with one of them.

• Heart

billybudd

VIP Member
Cute cottage with gluten free bakery business at the end. Why don't you produce tray bakes like this at CHMN resident chef FRK ?
I respect her attempt at the pithiviers but why does everything have to be burned?

• Haha

Kickintheass

VIP Member
OT question. Crit'Air stickers. I need to understand what having one (depending on colour) means. I know these are only in certain towns but more joining over the coming years. Are they no go places, or restricted zones, can I be fined? My campervan is 2023 Diesel.

• Sad

Fromthenorth

Sorry about that. It's not super interesting. Dana has a cooking thing on 28th, I think, on YouTube. No doubt how to make falafel 101 different ways (and they still turn out the same, inedible). Just to say, Dana is still lurking around the periphery but giving Despicable fanny and the Maastricht Mincer (©️ @JackSpratt ), Thrush a wide berth. For now.
Thank you @C'est moi ♥ How to do falafels again, it's like they eat nothing but falafel in her home country :oops: Maybe someone should mail her a book of Ottolenghi :sneaky:

• Haha
  • Heart

Thebirdandthefrog

Chatty Member
For me Ustinov is Poirot. As @MRShavershamsdress dress says not perfect to Christies characterisation but with so much. And supporting casts to die for. Suchet is a brilliant 2nd, IMHO. Branagh is not fit to lace eithers' shoes, a very poor Poirot. I imagine a bit of a vanity project for him. I'm not sure I've seen him in anything I've really enjoyed.
Agree. I think Poirot was some kind of vanity project for Branagh, just like the English version of the classic Swedish series Wallander… but his Wallander is soooooooo annoying, depressing and over dramatic. I watched loads of Wallander, the original series, with Rolf Lassgård and read the first book and he is nothing like Branaugh’s Wallander,

the latest Swedish version of Wallander is a lot more like the original one. Quite good.

Last edited:

Beachgirl

VIP Member
Stephanie has told mountains of lies and it is confusing trying to track them.See if these 2 link helps. It explains some of the issues with the chapel stars.

Oh yes of course. Had totally forgotten that one. Thank you for the reminder.

• Heart

C'est moi

VIP Member
My mum used to watch Midsomer Murders and I mocked her and it relentlessly. It's always a small village, there is always a big manor house but noone knows who lives there and noone seems to know anything about any of the murders going right on under their noses. So unrealistic...... but amusing. Especially if you come from a small village and you know that EVERYONE knows EVERYONE'S business, especially if they live in the big manor house and anyone new stands out like a sore thumb.
I think you've just described Despicable fanny, the shithole and the misfit cast and crew.
---
My daughter does this to me now with westerns. I was watching one of the CLASSICS and she said "Oh come ON mom. The dude did a full pirouette before he fell down and DIED. Ballerina or Cowboy, make it make sense." Children ruin everything.
---

And I LOVE the old detective in Midsommer murders. Never liked the one who replaced him.
What! Is it no longer John Nettles? I used to enjoy a younger him in Bergerac. Then he went a bit wobbly, hitting the soup or something. Turned up jowley in Midsomer Murders.

• Haha
Reactions: 12