Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Just Grift Wood

VIP Member
Look at what Stephanie claims is offered at the Dump:
Chateau de la Lande
Property highlights
You can look forward to free continental breakfast, a terrace, and a garden at Chateau de la Lande. Be sure to enjoy a meal at Table d'Hôtes, the on-site family restaurant. Free in-room WiFi is available to all guests, along with a library and laundry facilities.
You'll also enjoy the following perks during your stay:
  • Free self parking
  • Meeting rooms, luggage storage, and smoke-free premises
Room features
All guestrooms are individually furnished, and include amenities such as free WiFi.
Other amenities include:
  • Bathrooms with showers
  • Portable fans, limited housekeeping, and desks
Languages
English, French, Spanish

Look at what Stephanie claims is offered at the Dump:
Chateau de la Lande
Property highlights
You can look forward to free continental breakfast, a terrace, and a garden at Chateau de la Lande. Be sure to enjoy a meal at Table d'Hôtes, the on-site family restaurant. Free in-room WiFi is available to all guests, along with a library and laundry facilities.
You'll also enjoy the following perks during your stay:
  • Free self parking
  • Meeting rooms, luggage storage, and smoke-free premises
Room features
All guestrooms are individually furnished, and include amenities such as free WiFi.
Other amenities include:
  • Bathrooms with showers
  • Portable fans, limited housekeeping, and desks
Languages
English, French, Spanish

View attachment 2989657
I am pissing myself laughing, talk about scraping the barrel for amenities limited housekeeping and desks ha ha ha ha.

Last nights meal was left over veg soup and pork belly. Pork belly is so cheap and the soup would have been liquidised left overs. The pudding a cream and pancake it is such a joke. Tripadvisor guest pics really show how unkempt the courtyard was. Fanny probably used to do a max of 8 weeks in the summer now she is trapped and it is not a relaxing place to live. Hangers on no where quiet to sit and relax and just piled high with shite

• Heart
Reactions: 14

M&MsMom

VIP Member
Letters to Garden Lovers is one of my favourites, if not favourite. Edna had a delightfully chatty style of writing and her tips for gardeners are just as relevant for today's gardeners. Her books are expensive, new or secondhand. My vintage op shop purchase was a lucky score at $5. I have a small collection of vintage gardening books which began when a friend passed on his late mother's to me. My 'best' op shop find was a Margery Fysh book, an English gardener I had long admired but never thought I would be able to find . . . happy days.

Beth Chatto authored my first 'serious' gardening book, The Green Tapestry.

I'm in the middle of a Winter deep clean but not today . . . it's too cold even for me . . . expected top temperature is 11 degrees which is normally do-able wearing lots of layers but there will be gusting 40k southerly winds. And @Pekey, looking at our cctv, Melbourne doesn't look any better.
I loved Beth Chatto and have a good many of her books! She was a regular fixture in several garden magazines in the 80's and 90's (Fine Gardening, Gardens Illustrated), when magazines were "a thing". I really connected with her writing and teaching, more than anyone else of that time period.

All this talk about garden books.....I'm going to have to go to my bookshelf and reread some of the books I have. I use them mostly as reference, but I have a good many that are like the 'Letters to Garden Lovers' that would be fun to read again.

• Heart
So let me get this straight... someone was filming their actual shit? And making vlogs from it? What were they doing, going into private corners or the woods and squatting down and taking a dump? My goodness! The things people think are vlog worthy.
Nothing quite that Grand Guignol. If I’m remembering right her plumbing backed up and flooded the place with raw sewage. From comments on here I gather it was rather gross and in your face.

• Sick
  • Wow

M&MsMom

VIP Member
@M&MsMom I looked through my tubs of books and could only find two.

Edna Walling And Her Gardens by Peter Watts. One chapter is devoted toBickleigh Vale Village referenced by @Pekey - a group of cottages built and landscaped in the main by Edna, with some help. I've given a link which may give you some insight as to how it looks.

I also have The Edna Walling Book of Australian Garden Design, edited by Margaret Barrett - a lucky op shop find. This book has a detailed list of plants favoured by EW.

I've got another three tubs to go through in one of the storage rooms. We literally just camp in this house and will list any I find. I'm pretty sure I have her biography and a book which is a collection of articles she used to write for Home Beautiful magazine here, both of which are enjoyable reads.

Not only was EW an Australian gardening pioneer with her own much sought after distinctive gardening style but a lesbian. She usually got about in jodhpurs and a jacket, very Beatrix Havergal, the woman who established the School of Horticulture for Ladies at Waterperry. Miss Trunchbull from Roald Dahl's Matilda was based on Beatrix.

I have books in Melbourne which detail and illustrate her designs and garden layout, however, I won't be back for another week and a half.
Thank you! Please, please don't put yourself out here going through all those tubs! I found a biography about her on Amazon, which I've ordered this morning called 'The Unusual Life of Edna Walling'. I suspected that the word 'unusual' was code for something to do with her sexual orientation!

I saw the book on eBay with her collection of writings in Home Beautiful magazine called 'Letters to Garden Lovers'...that's up my alley and the sort of thing I really enjoy. I'm going to get my husband to order for me. I also see your op shop find on eBay and I'd like that, too, but it's a little too pricey for me, although it's supposedly in mint condition and is here in the US. Also saw the book you posted here, the Bickleigh Vale one - that looks good, too! There are several vintage books by her on eBay and I'm going to have fun deciding which to get, but I'll have two to get me started!

But now....I have my own gardening to do. I have two more days of low to non-humidity days with temps in the 70's before it gets hot and humid here again on Thursday. It's overcast here today, which is perfect to work in, as I'm mostly on the side of my house that gets the hot sun. It's a large 20 foot by 6 foot bed, on a slope, so not so easy to work in and that poor side of my house always gets the short shrift, so I have a lot of weeding to do there. Out of nowhere, my husband has offered to help me, so I think even he realizes it's a lofty goal!

• Heart
Reactions: 13

graciemckitten

VIP Member
I need to add some additional information to my speculation that Stephanie may have gotten a codeine prescription from the doctor that she saw in South Africa. It may not have been necessary. She would not have needed a prescription from a physician to obtain codeine based pain medication in South Africa

In South Africa, there are many over-the-counter pain medication’s that contain codeine and that are available without a prescription. I am not saying that she is misusing the medication, only that it is available in South Africa without a prescription in certain over the counter medications. The availability of codeine over the counter has been a contributing factor to cause an epidemic of codeine related addiction in South Africa, especially among the youth. Many new measures are being considered now to restrict access to codeine in over the counter drugs and/or to track purchases of any over the counter drugs containing codeine,

In the article linked below:
In recent times, misuse of codeine medicines has been highlighted as a potential problem in South Africa.2,3 Misuse of codeine is defined as using medication obtained with or without a medical prescription outside of accepted medical guidance. This may include dosage regimes that are higher or used for longer periods than medically advised, for the purpose of intoxication, including recreational use, or where the risks outweigh the benefits.4Dependence is classified as a psychiatric disorder under the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria.5

One of the principal factors considered to contribute to problematic codeine use is its availability without a medical prescription.6 In South Africa, codeine combination products containing codeine combined with paracetamol, ibuprofen or aspirin are sold without a medical prescription under the supervision of a pharmacist at unit doses of up to 20 mg of active ingredient. Codeine linctus is also sold over-the-counter (OTC) and contains up to 10 mg of codeine phosphate per 5 mL.”

• Wow
Reactions: 13