Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Just watched a video of château de Haroue It’s a ninth generation owned Chateau And it was so beautifully clean even the attic and the basement. I can’t help, but wonder if Fanny sees these videos and laments the state of her farmhouse. She really goes to other peoples château and has to be embarrassed greatly embarrassed that her 40 room farmhouse barely has enough usable rooms restored and clean spaces for her own use let anlone B&B guest. and speaking of 40 rooms. Does she count bathrooms as rooms? Does anyone know? As for the chapel, The lovely lovely chapel at the Château I just viewed is still in use. And unlike fanny, they do not seem like a family to have boudoir shots in their chapel.
I watched that recently. What a lovely young woman and so proud of her chateau.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Imperious Me

VIP Member
Hello my divine much missed friends!

Can someone please point me in the right direction of Fanny's vlog where she has her so called engagement party in South Africa? I came across something today relevant to this, but need to see the vlog again before I can comment. Anyone know where it is? I can't find her vlog anywhere. I think I may have caught her out in quite the whopper of a lie!

(Apart from the obvious lie that she's in love with the table setter, that is).

Thanks! Take care! ❤

• Heart

Pekey

VIP Member
The whole project is almost over . . . thank goodness.

@Pekey we still have the original station! And I agree it is a beautiful piece of heritage listed history. Being a non driver I was there every day to take a train to work or go shopping in Maling Road, Camberwell or into the CBD, and so it is a bit special to me. Residents made a huge fuss (they're good at doing that) and so it was taken down piece by piece, stored, then reassembled on top of the tunnel. It is part of an outdoor 'plaza' at the end of Hamilton Street which is the strip shopping centre street. It's been revegetated and is a nice place to take your take away coffee and sit in the sun.

And as for the shop bombings . . . we have one of those targeted Free Choice tobacconist/newsagents in Castlemaine!
I am so glad they saved the station and I must try to get out there and have a look !
Glad to read that the project is nearly over there!
---
OK, I'm hooked! I have to find some gardening books about her. Can either you or @Gertrude Maud give me your best option on a book about her gardening style?

(this is how I was taught to plant my bulbs, so I think I would like this lady!)
M&M there are a number of her books and books about her on Australian ebay !
I am not sure where you live so postage could be $$ but I think well worth it.

Last edited:
  • Heart

JackSpratt

VIP Member
Sorry, quick derail...

A question for Brits living in the EU.

I heard through a somewhat convoluted source that we have been given back our voting rights. Allegedly permanently. Can anyone shine any light on this, please?

I shall do an indepth investigate in the morning but I have evidently missed something in all the crap I get from the UK government. I dare say we've missed the boat for the July 4th general election.

TIA x
---

Ah, oui. Hier 😪
I've not heard anything

• Heart

T Rex

VIP Member
I'm all for a casual wedding, especially after you've been together for 20 years, but their garden cocktail reception did strike me as declasse & bargain basement. It seems that Shrek & Sara did most of the preparations on their own, including her sewing their costumes up to the last minute - so no wonder they looked knackered. No time to even get her hair done or for Shrek to go the barber.

To each their own, but I would have had more flowers on display all over the place and even down the staircase.

With only about 40 people I would have preferred a sit-down lunch in the garden with a long table or 4 round tables. Heck, Snorty could have been thoughtful and set the tables for them. It's what a good friend with a generous heart would do. Snorty could have brought some of his damn porcelain, table clothes & vases and put it all to good use (Of course that would have meant Snorty & Fanny showing up a day early, putting the dog down and thinking of others).

If they preferred to keep it as a cocktail party I would have hired a bartender plus some some wait staff to walk around to refill glasses, offer trays of food and collect empty plates.

Also, where were those two chef's that the Shrek's hired for their last workshop. I would have brought those girls from Paris for the weekend to cater the event. It would also provide time to spend with your guests & family who are visiting.
View attachment 2992230View attachment 2992236View attachment 2992237View attachment 2992241
You reminded me @Lady Avonlea - WHERE was Stuart?

Gertrude Maud

VIP Member
I loved that little old Station!!!
So they did remove it but ....... did they put it somewhere? Its History!!!
I know your shopping centre ..... like Maling Road - its so sweet and lets face it ..... little strip shopping places are so rare now!
I am glad you stood up for your Fish Shop guy and as for the poor bakery guy with a punch in the face ....... Gertie I think there are SO many "stand over men" in our society now with all the bombing of shops etc.
Victoria is going to hell in a handbasket! :devilish:
Mont Albert is a beautiful suburb but I can see why you go up to Castlemaine ( which is pretty too) just to get away from the dust , noise and crappy workers !! 👷‍♂️
The whole project is almost over . . . thank goodness.

@Pekey we still have the original station! And I agree it is a beautiful piece of heritage listed history. Being a non driver I was there every day to take a train to work or go shopping in Maling Road, Camberwell or into the CBD, and so it is a bit special to me. Residents made a huge fuss (they're good at doing that) and so it was taken down piece by piece, stored, then reassembled on top of the tunnel. It is part of an outdoor 'plaza' at the end of Hamilton Street which is the strip shopping centre street. It's been revegetated and is a nice place to take your take away coffee and sit in the sun.

And as for the shop bombings . . . we have one of those targeted Free Choice tobacconist/newsagents in Castlemaine!

• Heart
  • Wow

billybudd

VIP Member
Suggested title for Marie's cookery book, not that she'll ever manage to write one!
"How to prepare a meal for five Euros but make a profit of seventy". Back cover blurb: This book, by trained chef and professional florist, Marie Wiik, tells us how to cook economical meals while making a vast profit. Marie gained this useful experience preparing meals for B & B guests whilst working at Chateau de Lalande.The book contains photographs of Marie's dishes by Formula One photographer and bread maker, Michael Potts. After resigning from her post at the chateau, Marie described the conditions she worked in as stressful and unhygienic. The owner of the chateau filmed her every move and the hard-working chef was forced to work surrounded by mice; peacocks; an incontinent dog, and the constantly screeching owner. Despite these conditions, Marie succeeded in producing many interesting and economical.meals. Marie is now hoping to become a chef on a commercial yacht.
One of my earliest memories is of peering down into the cockpit of the ketch my parents were sailing around the Virgin Islands. My mother was cooking under conditions, shall we say. She is pumping the Primus stove. And then cooking sweep little meeps, as I called them. Sassidges.

• Heart
  • Haha

M&MsMom

VIP Member
Have you any of Rosemary Verey’s garden/garden design books? She created a fabulous garden at Barnsley House, her home in Gloucestershire. It has been preserved despite no longer being a private house (the property was sold and became a pretty swanky small hotel - changed hands and is being reopened any time now after a revamp). Rosemary Verey knew the-then Prince of Wales well (their shared love of gardening) and she advised him about the gardens at Highgrove when he moved there. Her books - there are quite a few - are wonderful.

Penelope Hobhouse’s garden design books are also much-loved.

Another book suggestion for you: “Kiftsgate Court. Gardens - Three Generations of Women Gardeners”. Really interesting history of how the gardens have evolved from grandmother to her daughter and, now, her granddaughter.
Thank you for the book recommendation! That would be an interesting read to see three generations of gardening, I'll look for it. And yes, I have a number of Rosemary Verey's garden books, too!

As an aside, I watched Nicholas Fairford's vlog when he stayed at Barnsley House!

• Heart
Reactions: 14

graciemckitten

VIP Member
Off topic: Koran Englishman just posted a new navy seals episode, over 400,000 views in less than 4 hours. I love when they take the former students with them to Korea. The boy’s former headmaster evidently has known Josh since they were age 20 or earlier. I wonder if he went to university with Josh and Ollie. The headmaster is the same age as Josh and Ollie all 35 years old. He really worked hard to get fit to undergo training with his former students at the Korean navy military camp Josh passed the Korean navy seal admittance requirements on several tasks today. I think he’s been training extra hard for the past few months for this trip.

As I read through the comments from the Korean community, past few videos, I do understand that they something to some of the regulations and conduct required of the British students. They still did great and a few of them to have matured in the past week. The headmaster had a good sense of humor And seems very supportive of his former students. He could be much more relaxed, since he is no longer formally in authority position with them but is very supportive. Who knows what they’re like off camera, but it was so refreshing to see a group of people who were very supportive of each other, in very stressful circumstances.

Fanny would kill for those numbers. Send Snorts to Korea and film him in military training. Darn it …. Didn’t Stephanie already visit Korea with Jerry a few years back?

---
She went once and she's cured now 😉
Did she get the codeine pills from the private doctor that she saw in South Africa for her gamey hip?

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart

Le Baiseur

VIP Member
Today's M&M vlog is mostly the ceremony with the Mairie. It was nice, and they were surrounded by family and true friends. Sara and her mother hugging at the conclusion was really sweet.
They're good people, only fault is their association with Fanny. I wish them well.
But I'll still have a go at them when I see the opportunity. 🤪
Had to fix a typo above... and add:

Back rolls.
1718312553356.png

• Haha