The Chateau Diaries #31 Who'll crawl out of the woodwork next?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought I wouldn't comment on the issue anymore but here we go.

The English so-called th sound (or dental fricative) is extremely rarely found in other languages and is often very difficult phoneme for non-native speakers to produce. There are millions of non-native English speakers who never learn how to produce it and have to replace it with alternatives. Call that a speech disorder if you will.

There are also English native dialects that do not use the th sound. For example, traditionally east Londoners replace the voiced and voiceless dental fricative with v and f sounds respectively. Would you tell a Londoner that they are making a mistake by not pronouncing the th in the same way as you do? You don't need to like it but having an accent is encouraged these days.

Now when it comes to FRK's choice of subject matter and the way she presents herself... yeah, I'm ready to feed her to the wolves.

Even I would call that a mistake. :LOL:
I am aware how difficult it is to pronounce different sounds in different languages, yes. They’re difficult, but not impossible (tongue between the teeth!) and often require practise. I would never criticize someone for trying to make a sound and replacing it with an alternative. Marie doesn’t do that, but even if she did, I wouldn’t say she had a speech disorder. (A speech deficit is a neutral pedagogical term with its own meaning.) I enjoy dialects and accents. It’s difficult for me to roll my ‘r’ s when I speak French, but I try! I like to be understood in the language in which I’m speaking or writing; it’s worth the effort.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12

The English so-called th sound (or dental fricative) is extremely rarely found in other languages and is often very difficult phoneme for non-native speakers to produce. There are millions of non-native English speakers who never learn how to produce it and have to replace it with alternatives. Call that a speech disorder if you will.

There are also English native dialects that do not use the th sound. For example, traditionally east Londoners replace the voiced and voiceless dental fricative with v and f sounds respectively. Would you tell a Londoner that they are making a mistake by not pronouncing the th in the same way as you do? You don't need to like it but having an accent is encouraged these days.

Now when it comes to FRK's choice of subject matter and the way she presents herself... yeah, I'm ready to feed her to the wolves.

Maybe if she could look up some alternating words for 'healthy' and circumvent it altogether. I was annoyed by the incessant use of the word in general. She has a perfect opportunity to say it in her native language and elaborate on the meaning of hell tea.

Reactions: 12
Funnily enough, Mrs G bought the kindle edition of D&A book for 99p. In it they both go into detail about struggles they had and one such struggle were the tiles. These were in the entrance hall (see first episodes of Escape to the Chateau) whilst the whole process was not shown in the prog, he describes how they had to angle grind the cement/muck off the back of them.
Other thing of note: Bat guano and Bird droppings and flies were all tackled and made hygienic, prior to fully moving in and problems which arose once moving in were also tackled. Heating, plumbing Skeptic (sorry couldn't resist) tanks. One telling note was that whilst they learned from mistakes made, they also had the forethought to put in things in advance of future jobs, so work wouldn't have to be redone and mess up progress.
Also noted was the fixing of the balustrade and steps at the front of the Chateau as this was crumbling and if having guests, then they did not want to kill or maim anyone.
I wonder if Steph and her co owners have read the book? Lots of handy tips there about project management oh and I expect she could have asked Dick if needs be. 99p bargain on kindle would have saved us and her a massive headache!
Steph also has the advantage of speaking French fluently, this was one of my criticisms of D&A, however, they at least do now speak a modicum of French and have also begun to build up a reliable supply of people to help at the Chateau. Also noted is the fact that they admit to using help when needed and they budget for it. No patrons in the early days to fund this...a business plan and work!
Doesn't Angel have an actual degree in business management? And accounting?

Reactions: 6
I am aware how difficult it is to pronounce different sounds in different languages, yes. I would never criticize someone for trying to make a sound and replacing it with an alternative. Marie doesn’t do that, but even if she did, I wouldn’t say she had a speech disorder. (A speech deficit is a pedagogical term with its own meaning.) I enjoy dialects and accents. It’s difficult for me to roll my ‘r’ s when I speak French, but I try! I like to be understood in the language in which I’m speaking or writing; it’s worth the effort.
I haven't really analysed what FRK says and if she truly can't produce a dental fricative. In her "teet" video it looks like she struggles with the sound. That could be a phonological disorder.
Maybe if she could look up some alternating words for 'healthy' and circumvent it altogether. I was annoyed by the incessant use of the word in general. She has a perfect opportunity to say it in her native language and elaborate on the meaning of hell tea.
Yeah, well, when speaking a foreign language, we often don't have a vast active vocabulary at our disposal. But being annoyed by repetition is a valid feeling.

I also feel like I'm so done with this subject even though I've been instigating it 😅

Reactions: 7
I actually don't know anything about fine 18th century French panelling from the Ile de Louis, but I suspect it travels wrapped, at a minimum, in standard furniture moving quilted padding and is stored not leaning against itself but with interleaved protection? I suspect it is also to be stored horizontally to avoid warping. The knowledgeable DIYers I know who religiously upcycle even dumpster dived 1870s beadboard store it horizontally and flat.
The carved trim seems vulnerable to falling off. No better way to achieve this than to store decorated panels stacked on top of one another, vertically.
If I were a big donor I would insist much better storage methods for the panelling be instituted, yesterday.
Also insurance. Given that it came to the chateau unwrapped and unprotected in an unmarked white van, I suspect insurance is not in play here.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Funnily enough, Mrs G bought the kindle edition of D&A book for 99p. In it they both go into detail about struggles they had and one such struggle were the tiles. These were in the entrance hall (see first episodes of Escape to the Chateau) whilst the whole process was not shown in the prog, he describes how they had to angle grind the cement/muck off the back of them.
Other thing of note: Bat guano and Bird droppings and flies were all tackled and made hygienic, prior to fully moving in and problems which arose once moving in were also tackled. Heating, plumbing Skeptic (sorry couldn't resist) tanks. One telling note was that whilst they learned from mistakes made, they also had the forethought to put in things in advance of future jobs, so work wouldn't have to be redone and mess up progress.
Also noted was the fixing of the balustrade and steps at the front of the Chateau as this was crumbling and if having guests, then they did not want to kill or maim anyone.
I wonder if Steph and her co owners have read the book? Lots of handy tips there about project management oh and I expect she could have asked Dick if needs be. 99p bargain on kindle would have saved us and her a massive headache!
Steph also has the advantage of speaking French fluently, this was one of my criticisms of D&A, however, they at least do now speak a modicum of French and have also begun to build up a reliable supply of people to help at the Chateau. Also noted is the fact that they admit to using help when needed and they budget for it. No patrons in the early days to fund this...a business plan and work!
Thank you @Gibson you've convinced me to buy the book.

Interesting to hear about the tile, so soaking them overnight isn't going to help? :D What's the prediction then? Selmar to angle grind the cement? Matt's employee?

Even with all their experience (Dick an engineer, Angel an accountant), I'm sure they encounter many problems at the chateau, but I liked that they cleaned the place first, eww the horror that is the Lalande's attic! But seriously, how difficult is it to have a plan and stick with it! But no, Lalande is a the party place for Peter Pans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21

Interesting to hear about the tile, so soaking them overnight isn't going to help? :D What's the prediction then? Selmar to angle grind the cement? Matt's employee?

Even with all their experience (Dick an engineer, Angel an accountant), I'm sure they encounter many problems at the chateau, but I liked that they cleaned the place first.
This guy -- who, by the way, passed away renovating this house -- is the Everest summiteer of DIY reno. And his most grueling tale was cleaning 19th century encaustic tiles. He did soak them. In bleach. And then toothbrushes/sand belts/nips every single effing tile. He's a legend among US home reno bloggers for this encounter, which he called the Oberon Saloon Tile Saga.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
This guy -- who, by the way, passed away renovating this house -- is the Everest summiteer of DIY reno. And his most grueling tale was cleaning 19th century encaustic tiles. He did soak them. In bleach. And then toothbrushes/sand belts/nips every single effing tile. He's a legend among US home reno bloggers for this encounter, which he called the Oberon Saloon Tile Saga.
Couldn't get any of the pictures to open.

Reactions: 2

Oh this discussion is giving me nightmarish flashbacks! Back to an advanced English class filled with teachers vying for their masters & me an undergrad.

Reactions: 4

Even with all their experience (Dick an engineer, Angel an accountant), I'm sure they encounter many problems at the chateau, but I liked that they cleaned the place first, eww the horror that is the Lalande's attic! But seriously, how difficult is it to have a plan and stick with it! But no, Lalande is a the party place for Peter Pans.
Yes on the horrific state of the attic. I have never understood how that was left in its present condition as in the video that she did about it saying that she liked that it was still in its original state? And then I think about the bats in the cellar under one of the ground level rooms. I think I would have them moved as I would not want to live in the same place…who knows if that could be affecting their health. 😶

Reactions: 8
TROTTER ALERT!
He couldn't keep the promise of uploading a new vlog, so instead he rewarded his hard efforts with a visit to Macera TallerBar and Peaky Blinders.
Thank you Lord for letting me be too poor to support his Patreon and just admire his radiance - for Michael is the sun... ;) - for free.

HAHAHA he's on Season 4 Episode 4! Clearly he has a lot of time on his hands, his continual excuses to not produce content is hilarious. But I guess why would he when gangster grannies continue to fund his lifestyle for free?

• Heart
Reactions: 26
TROTTER ALERT!
He couldn't keep the promise of uploading a new vlog, so instead he rewarded his hard efforts with a visit to Macera TallerBar and Peaky Blinders.
Thank you Lord for letting me be too poor to support his Patreon and just admire his radiance - for Michael is the sun... ;) - for free.
Michael Meth-erick is a lazy fucker, living off Granny Gangsta's money. But, as we've all said, this will come to an end if he doesn't get his arse back to Ma and co ASAP. How many weeks has he been in Madrid for now? I'm sure even the Granny Gangsta's must realise he's well-rested now. Wonder how all the 'rest' (ie blow and boys) is helping his creativity? That children's book he's talked about writing (during Marie's tit show of a Goddess workshop vlog) is coming along?

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I also went against recommendations and asked Google to define “teabagging”. My husband who was watching sports said what did she say? Learning a lot on here!🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 19
From (Not) Doing it Ourselves YT channel. Meth-erick is BUSTED!

Daisy de Claremont

5 hours ago
So if I understand correctly: people are sending you money for a supposed renovation of a small cottage that does not even belong to you. Then with the money in your pocket you fly to Madrid for a very long vacation. Just a vlog in so many weeks?! You do not answer any questions your fans ask you. And you still have subscribers?!?! Your family must be spending a lot of time brushing off negative comments, right?

Hide reply
c7yelPqwH3DM3IivAgHxWQ0M=s48-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj.jpg

ManOnEarth
35 minutes ago
I was curious like you as well and did some snooping on his Instagram stories updates. He's enjoying himself at a bar named Macera Tallerbar and spending his time watching peaky blinders episodes.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
HAHAHA he's on Season 4 Episode 4! Clearly he has a lot of time on his hands, his continual excuses to not produce content is hilarious. But I guess why would he when gangster grannies continue to fund his lifestyle for free?
Michael Meth-erick is a lazy fucker, living off Granny Gangsta's money. But, as we've all said, this will come to an end if he doesn't get his arse back to Ma and co ASAP. How many weeks has he been in Madrid for now? I'm sure even the Granny Gangsta's must realise he's well-rested now. Wonder how all the 'rest' (ie blow and boys) is helping his creativity? That children's book he's talked about writing (during Marie's tit show of a Goddess workshop vlog) is coming along?
Meh. I would feel sorry for his patreons. But they choose support him, despite him not producing anything and clinging on to that hope to see the Gardener's Cottage renovated.

Reactions: 22
TROTTER ALERT!
It's tequila, baby! Is that a salty rim and is he sucking a lime? Maybe it's salt on the plate or maybe it's mephedrone? We need answers, Sherrie!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.