The Chateau Diaries #305 2 containers full of junk and off to the brocante to buy more. Weeee!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Even as a guest.
Yeah, the public space pajamas at Tobacco John's brought into focus for me how contemptuous and jealous and avaricious a guest she is. I remember how creepy it was she elicited from the antique dealer's wife, herself a textiles expert, how jazzy it was she possessed Elton John's very own incredibly expensive, bespoke, and rejected, dining room curtains. They both deffo got a little O off it.
She's like a worm in the cheese at other peoples' houses.
Pheeph's practice of wearing other peoples' clothes and going through Isabelle's things, his wearing the flayed skins of others, is the manifest of this guest behavior. It's appalling.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 26
My God, @MRShavershamsdress you have just described to a t my husbands behaviour from about 5 to 10 years ago. I suggested he go and see someone but he adamantly refused. I was also going through a shitload of bad health at the time having had a thyroidectomy due to cancer and, frankly, didn't know which way was up! Somehow we came through it and he rode out his storm of whatever it was and I, after 2 disasters of medical professionals found a wonderful endocrinolgue and got my meds sorted out.

Another bizarre change to his behaviour happened just recently. His mother died. And he has become a lighter more ready to shrug tit off person! It occurred to me earlier this week, this change in his demeanour, and you guys are the only people I've mentioned it to because I guess it's a tricky, thorny subject. He was not close to his mother. She was a narcissist. And having moved here over 20 years ago hasn't seen much of her. But since her death it is as if an invisible weight has been lifted.
My (our) narc recently died. I had cut off contact completely, as universally and ubiquitously recommended by all mental health professionals. Others, enmeshed in generations of family tit, not so much. Long terrible story. But so he finally died and that loud vampire offstage black hole sucking noise has disappeared. Others all much lighter and I was wondering why. Thanks for the tip.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Aww now you've made me recall my mum and some of her best "peasant" type foods. One of my favorites was her slow cooked stuffed lambs heart. It was a real treat because locals in Belfast wouldn't buy them so the butcher practically gave them to her and that meant a whole each 😋. I also used to love the pigs feet Dad would bring home wrapped in newspaper, even the grisly crunchy bits - maybe I'm weird lol. I don't get either of those now but i do buy ham hocks especially for soups and stews etc. Hmmm now you have me wondering if I could recreate my mum's slow cooked hearts 🤔
Delicious, Stuffed lamb heart sounds fab, it curiously makes delicious stew. My mother made a stew of beef heart in her ancient pressure cooker. Keep us posted, hard to find the weird meats.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Billsters transformation of the kitchen is remarkable equaled only with the transformation of Yannis into a machine.
Compare this video with the holidays, plates and furniture of The Chateau Diaries at CHMN. Lalande should have been transformed with all the money Fanny has rolling in monthly.
Well Done all who worked on the Convent Kitchen

• Heart
Reactions: 33
So much soulful cooking and thinking going on here.
@T Rex and other farmers’ market denizens, do you think Marie’s addiction to the supermarket is a symptom of her ill-informed notion of what’s Klassy? She thinks shopping at the supermarket is Klassy, whereas shopping among the honest farming peasants is way too close to one’s own origins? And that one can always be sure the sous vide duck from the supermarket is Klassier than the fermiere wife pate and fresh farm cheese? Or Romain Moreau’s tomato concasse, make from his own tomatoes in his own kitchen in Crozon sur Vauvre?
Also, one might fear the farmers’ market because one doesn’t know what they’re selling, one doesn’t speak French, one might Make The UnKlassy Choice.
I’m going to keep observing her desire to transform delinquent ingredients into That Which They Are Not, a smear of pureed broccoli under a block of potato terrine with egg white extruded from a pastry bag on top. I think I see the point of the broccoli puree schmear — to add a layer of flavor to a composed and unified dish. But I am actually doubtful and don’t know any eater who thinks an unavoidable layer of, say, broccoli flavor on a pork and scallop dish is an addition to the experience. I think a lawyer or a scholar of fascist rhetoric would call it spurious.
I can’t think of any circumstance under which I’d choose to eat pureed broccoli. The textures, including the peeled stalk, which I learned from my Sicilian MIL, are so very much part of the pleasure of eating it. Soup, maybe. Trying to get picky little children to eat it, soup for sure.
The lengths to which one would go for the really sexy ingredient, whether strawberries of the moment, or Spanish lessons with your Turmeric Man (you go, T Rex). It takes some knowledge of the world to get a thrill from the $20 veg haul and the restaurant supply meat haul. I have a supermercado near me where Mexican ingredients and vibe — canned JuMex guava nectar, I love it — are available. One thing they have the wypipo store doesn’t have is weird meat, which I love and cherish, from feet to kidneys and heart, as well as a pound of ham scraps from the deli, real ham for soup and beans. Ditto bacon scraps. There are people I love who wouldn’t be caught dead there, among them rednecks fearful of chile. Not going there. Even they are converting and now sometimes have carne adobada for breakfast.
Maybe we can have world peace after all.
So here's my absolutely killer very best Mexican cooking tip of all time, I think it's Diana Kennedy.
Squeeze a fresh orange over your tomato salsa.
And this. Chamoy is your friend.
I think the reasons for MarIE's supermarché sweepstake are many-fold...

1. She has a limited budget. That's fairly evident.
2. She probably lacks the time to source her ingredients from different suppliers locally (also see 1. above).
3. She speaks little or no French at all so shopping in the supermarket is easy. No personal contact necessary.
4. Markets open early in France and close up around midday. If MarIE is serving and clearing breakfast AND dog walking AND being at the gruesome twosomes beck and call she has no chance of getting there.
5. She lacks confidence to shop "outside the box" (also see 3. above).
6. Despicable fanny may have entrusted her with the shithole debit card, and with a spend limit, the hence making supermarket shopping easy. Local producers and markets stall holders still like their payment in éspeces - filthy lucre, hard cash.
7. Her menus are safe, no having to source exotic ingredients (also see 5 above).
8. She uses cookery books and recipe cards, probably in English, and shops safe where she knows she can get all the ingredients. She doesn't have the nouce or experience to swap out ingredients and swap up flavours. And neither will she ever.

If she is not going to use local producers I do not understand why she doesn't use the boucherie counter, the poissonerie counter, the charcuterie counter in her local supermarket. These counters in every supermarket I have ever visited in France have experienced and knowledgeable staff. They have served apprenticeships in their metier and are more than willing to share their knowledge. She doesn't have to know the name or the pronunciation she can just point and hold up fingers for how many or how much. She can guide the cut of the knife. She will get to know them and they will get to know her. Also, post covid, many supermarkets buy fruit and vegetables from local producers. Covid taught them that the supply chain, produce coming from further away, is not guaranteed. The small holder can also sell on his surplus. Win-win.

It is absolutely tragic how they operate every aspect of the b&b but the food offered is the worst.
---
IT'S . A . VLOG!!
(not a blog)

That is all
Actually, I think it's more of a flog...

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
I would tell him that it embarrasses you and makes you SAD when he goes for you in front of the staff !
I would also ask him if the business is in trouble and he is under stress of not telling you . Even if you know the business is fine I would still say it so he knows you are thinking about things and it may give him a shock that you are feeling unsettled .
Men usually see NOTHING and you have to TELL them......... but make sure you have this talk at home when he is fed and relaxed.

Hell mrsp....... I am getting savvy and sly like Fanny and her Mother 🦇 !

Sounds like your hubby is stressed and he is making YOU stressed too!
Like Jules says - if you can swing it (its hard when you have your own business I know ) ... but a holiday may be a good thing and you can talk too.
Big kiss 💋 and a hug .
Yep..something is going on with hubby. The only way to find out is to ask him outright. You are both his marriage and work partner so you will be the one he lashes out at possibly because he knows he can get away with it. Would he talk to a member of staff in the same manner? Personally I don't do pussy footing.. if someone has a problem then I will do my utmost to help and understand but I won't be a verbal punchbag for them to take their frustrations out on. Let him know how you feel...good luck 💜

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Delicious, Stuffed lamb heart sounds fab, it curiously makes delicious stew. My mother made a stew of beef heart in her ancient pressure cooker. Keep us posted, hard to find the weird meats.
Not in France. Weird and wonderful always available, if you know where to look. I do draw the line a tripe.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Reading some of the recent comments here I am beginning to think I am spoilt, and so wish I could share my riches with you all. I am currently staying within easy distance of two superb independent butcher's shops. There used to be just one, but the bosses fell out and they each have their own shop now in neighbouring villages in Scotland. They source all their meat, fruit and vegetables from local farmers. They have very few items on display in their small shops. When you ask for something they bring the carcass, or part of the carcass, out from the meat stores at the back and prepare your order on their huge butcher's block right in front of you. There is no part of the animal that you cannot buy. I saw mention here of breast of lamb (lamb flank), any kind of offal, and especially lamb hearts - all are available. They will cut it, bone it, roll it, flatten it - whatever you want, however you want it. They will also tell you the name and address of the farmer that raised the animal or grew the fruit and veg.

Before I moved here I had become increasingly frustrated about the amount of natural fat that was being removed from meat before it was sold in the supermarkets. I know it is the trend, but I don't like it, I think it affects the flavour, and I don't believe that it is bad for me in moderation. My butchers know my preference and will always leave some fat or rind on if I ask for it. I eat meat often, together with a lot of fish (we also have a fresh fish shop nearby and a man who comes directly from the coast with the catch of the day in his specially refrigerated van!) The prices are, of course, higher than the town supermarkets, but the benefits are, I believe, well worth it.

It's such a shame that I am not a particularly good cook, but I do enjoy my food cooked from fresh and with knowledge of its provenance. I love to read the recipes on tattle and I imagine you all with your beautifully laid tables and perfectly cooked exciting and exotic meals, as I eat off a tray on my knees whilst watching Bourbon Street live webcam on my laptop :ROFLMAO:. It's only temporary, and I will be moving back to civilization again soon, but I will certainly miss the lovely fresh food here in this little corner of Scotland.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
Reading some of the recent comments here I am beginning to think I am spoilt, and so wish I could share my riches with you all. I am currently staying within easy distance of two superb independent butcher's shops. There used to be just one, but the bosses fell out and they each have their own shop now in neighbouring villages in Scotland. They source all their meat, fruit and vegetables from local farmers. They have very few items on display in their small shops. When you ask for something they bring the carcass, or part of the carcass, out from the meat stores at the back and prepare your order on their huge butcher's block right in front of you. There is no part of the animal that you cannot buy. I saw mention here of breast of lamb (lamb flank), any kind of offal, and especially lamb hearts - all are available. They will cut it, bone it, roll it, flatten it - whatever you want, however you want it. They will also tell you the name and address of the farmer that raised the animal or grew the fruit and veg.

Before I moved here I had become increasingly frustrated about the amount of natural fat that was being removed from meat before it was sold in the supermarkets. I know it is the trend, but I don't like it, I think it affects the flavour, and I don't believe that it is bad for me in moderation. My butchers know my preference and will always leave some fat or rind on if I ask for it. I eat meat often, together with a lot of fish (we also have a fresh fish shop nearby and a man who comes directly from the coast with the catch of the day in his specially refrigerated van!) The prices are, of course, higher than the town supermarkets, but the benefits are, I believe, well worth it.

It's such a shame that I am not a particularly good cook, but I do enjoy my food cooked from fresh and with knowledge of its provenance. I love to read the recipes on tattle and I imagine you all with your beautifully laid tables and perfectly cooked exciting and exotic meals, as I eat off a tray on my knees whilst watching Bourbon Street live webcam on my laptop :ROFLMAO:. It's only temporary, and I will be moving back to civilization again soon, but I will certainly miss the lovely fresh food here in this little corner of Scotland.
After I quit smoking, I went on a massive diet. I found myself craving fat. I was consulting with a nutritionist and went to her and said, so is craving fat just moral depravity or an actual nutrition deficit?
She said, it's where all the flavinoids in the meat are. You're craving flavor.
My bad.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Don't think we'll ever get to see her buying food at the local market.
Certainly not for their guests.
But let's remember the feasts before the B&B season started... we all knew that the money they wasted would be saved by the guests. As predicted, Marie is already struggling with the small budget. Two radishes per guest, divided between starter and main course.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
Derail: attention 15 hags, smart creative intuitive & multi cultural people who I find intellectually stimulating. I’ve found myself in a conundrum. And I know so many of you have many health and family issues, that I do pray for. But i need advice as many of you are in long time marriages and partnerships. I’m embarrassed to talk to my people. I’ve been married for 34 years and have been working with my husband 6 days a week for 25 years, lately he has become so disgruntled, dismissive and angry. Going as fas as embarrassing me in front of the staff. I try walking away and he hates it. Besides medicating myself to numbness I’ve no idea how to handle it!! Please advise!!!
If the husband doesn't get his tit together then maybe it's time to bring in 15 or so of menopausal hags to deal with the situation. I guarantee within 30 mins he'll be beggingg for forgiveness😉

In all seriousness, you don't deserve to be disrespected EVER! And with that said, I hope things work out the way you want, whatever way that may be!❤

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Not in France. Weird and wonderful always available, if you know where to look. I do draw the line a tripe.
Lucky I live in the menudo latitudes and can get my fix of the divine substance.
Best I've made is Jane Grigson's Tripe de Gourin aux pruneaux (braised with lots of shallot, butter, thyme, carrots and prunes) and Paul Bertolli's Chez Panisse Cooking tripe in Italian tomato sauce. Also delish, Philadelphia pepper pot soup.
Cutting it nicely into small triangles really helps.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 18
Before I moved here I had become increasingly frustrated about the amount of natural fat that was being removed from meat before it was sold in the supermarkets. I know it is the trend, but I don't like it, I think it affects the flavour, and I don't believe that it is bad for me in moderation. My butchers know my preference and will always leave some fat or rind on if I ask for it.
Completely agree, I keep telling hubster not to buy the low fat minced beef for burgers, it's pointless. Absolutely no flavour and dry as heck. So much so I have to add some finely chopped mushrooms to add moisture back. I'd rather get a good piece of rib eye or something and mince it ourselves.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.