The Chateau Diaries #300 Stephanie Jarvis is trapped in her own living hell

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I did a search of this forum. Clara stated in 2021 that the Dump didn’t have a license to serve alcohol.Another Tattler had posted that they thought an alcohol license would run over 10,000 euros.

Clara stated :
She did not attend any hygiene courses and has no alcohol license. The thing is that her HNW is so tucked away, there's hardly any inspection unless complaints are filed.”

Opening a table d'hotes in France
Table d'hotes is for the owners of chambre d'hotes also wanting to provide diner to their guests. Once again there are some regulations to comply with. For instance the owner of the table d'hotes must only offer one menu, preferably composed of local products produits du terroir. This means that you cannot offer two starters, two main meals and three desserts.

Meals should be taken at the family table with the owner.
If you plan to serve alcohol, you will have to apply for a drinks licence with your Mairie called licence petite restauration and take a compulsory training called stage permis d'exploitation costing about 250. Finally diner cannot be served to the passing trade or you will have to comply with restaurant regulations.
And just a quick search gives this loud and clear.
The MairE will also have been informed about the accident/ death at her chateau.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Helloooo everyone. Have I missed anything?
I just came to say to Amanda, you made me buy Kewpie Mayonnaise and Rob I stocked up on French butter. Paysan Breton is my fav . 😂
No viewing recaps. Everything is just so boring. I’ve been watching a lot of the fallout form Lady C’s book and still enjoying Shawna. Sip! 🍷

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
And just a quick search gives this loud and clear.
The MairE will also have been informed about the accident/ death at her chateau.
That must explain Marie’s cleaning of the kitchen behind the stove, the nasty cabinets, and tossing the filthy curtains, Perhaps they are concerned of scrutiny of the B and B once the accident investigation reveals how slipshod or lackadaisical the Dump has been in complying with applicable rules, codes, and regulations.

At least we know why Fanny “ races” back to the Dump for Saturday dinners. It is a requirement to keep her specific B and B status as it pertains to the table d'hotes and provides content for one full cd video a week.
---
carolinedecastro4171
26 minutes ago
Marie looks exhausted. What a wonderful lady she is.

aldaluisacorsini7561
18 minutes ago
Poor Italian ravioli...

user-ii8vw3vi8f
1 hour ago
Good luck for the season, wondering if you would consider moving the lounge chair from the kitchen window and continue the bench there

jomeyer13
4 hours ago (edited)
strange timing at lalande// you do like creating excitement drama/spring yeah

@christinamose8253
9 hours ago
Not sure you have owls. Pleas3 watch little man. I almost lost my little guy to an owl

Last edited:
Reactions: 26
Regarding Fanny's outrageous room and dinner rates, and shockingly subpar accommodation, I would like to offer a comparison to Chateau Mareuil.

They are also British, on Chateau DIY and are only about 80kms from lielande although I'm not aware there has ever been any interaction between them (no surprise). The Chateau is genuinely historic and beautifully presented, has a pool (!) and they have amazing reviews on tripadvisor and booking.com etc. The hosts are lovely and the wife, Belinda, does all the food. She has credentials, not sure exactly what, and produces amazingly well put together generous menus using local and seasonal produce and the dinner rate for 4 courses with wine - and cheese - is 39 euros!! See below for a table setting that hasn't been Jackson Pollocked by a twit.

The accommodation rates are cheaper too and the rooms look beautifully done with no headache inducing clutter or clashing patterns to be seen.

I know where I would stay!!

ETA - no evidence of foil required to hold the candles straight either 😂😂. How do they do it?

View attachment 2882479
I've seen the state of Belinda and Lee's kitchen (complete with dog). I will pass on eating there!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
highlyopinionated
16 hours ago
For goodness sake, listen to Marie and do away with the fabric spice "rack". It's not suitable for a working kitchen, repurpose it for something else. It's so unhygienic nevermind impractical
---
fast800journeylifebeyond5
1 day ago
Sorry to give my opinion on it but the flowers in the Wedgwood vase look mmmmmm terrible
---
@paris0551
1 day ago
Any body else noticed that Philip wanted a dog , and really doesn’t bother much with rat dog. Marie on the other hand …
---
pamelamyatt6665
1 day ago (edited)
Nooooo. Marie is right...the spice container is hideous. Sorry Stephanie
---
@margotgraciet5422
1 day ago
Plavina comes back ?
---
@colinrollo4005
1 day ago
Sorry but I'm not a lover of wall light lampshades
---
@carolinegooder7091
1 day ago
Day sofa in the Kitchen is Isabelle's.
emoji_u2764.png
Isabelle is 80 plus years old.
---
yolzzworld
1 day ago
Marie isn’t a professionally trained chef
---
@thuanydanielli5457
1 day ago
could you pleaaase paint the cupboards doors in the kitchen it bugs me in every video anyaway
---
@TheMollycat
1 day ago
Sounds iike those curtains are rotten
---
@mariac4602
1 day ago
I love you Stephanie, but let Marie to choose how to set up her kitchen. Don't be 'mummy'.
---
@mining4goldmeister420
1 day ago
You can tell when Marie wants to say how she really feels about something - what she really would like to have, or not have, in the kitchen or elsewhere but keeps her thoughts to herself. Self control!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
I was struggling to find the words to discuss, @billybudd you articulated excellently.

€75 a head for 3 courses with wine is absolutely scandalous. And that's before one starts unpicking what they were actually served.

The entrée - granted asparagus is very expensive at the moment. And coming to the end of the season. I have seen producers charging between €10 and €15 a kilo locally. But that was not asparagus from producers. That was farmed asparagus from Spain bought in the supermarket. And why bother with the bed of rocket?

The plat - the duck was overcooked, probably on the chewy side. Just as well it was in small morsels. Anyone with falsies would have struggled. Again, supermarket sous vide purchased duck. Not from a butcher or local producer. I didn't mind the accompaniment of the ravioli but, what was in the ravioli?

Desert - the meringue nest was maybe a good call. But the dolop of syrup on top was hurried and panicked. Some fresh, sharp red berries (or were they under the dolop of syrup) to counteract the sweetness of the meringue.

The wine - NO! Just no. Box wine on tap in cheap glass carafe, they are not decanters. I would want, no expect, to see the label. I would want to know what my food is being paired with. I would like to know that, at €75 head, local producers are being supported.

I will give MarIE 6,5 for effort, realising that her hands are tied. And that this was her 1st guest dinner following her cookery course so the pressure, self imposed and from the hag-witch, would have been enormous. She certainly needs to sort out her hair and wear her chefs scrubs.

€75 a head for 3 courses, as provided, is outrageous. There is no aperitif, drink or nibbles. There is no appetizer or mise en bouche. There is no cheese. There is no coffee with Petit fours. The portion size I could accept IF there were the other courses I have suggested.

For €75 locally I could get a regional tasting menu of 5 or 6 courses with wine and coffee in a Michelin starred restaurant. And in a far more pleasing setting and without a screeching lunatic with man hands and her sidekick pouf.
I am horrified by what Fanny puts out and what she charges for it. Most Chambre d'hote charge about 40-45 euro for 4 courses with an abundant cheese board with local cheese and most owners would form a relationship with a local vin yard and have local wine which they can buy in cubitinair to save money and decant but the wine would be excellent. Many Chambre d'hote do limitless wine within reason, I get the impression Fanny rations wine. Most would also do a complimentary aperitif maybe local sparkling wine with creme de cassis.Again most would also highlight French regional cooking and produce. Fanny is so pretentious she never helps clear the table or serve wine and making the cook come through is also pretentious, why not have MarIE come and join the diners with a drink and have her sit down and join in for a bit. I think if MarIE wore chefs whites it would be another affectation , she is not a Chef and Chambre d'hote is about home cooked food. They seem to just buy what is on offer at the local Super U. A minimum I would expect is 4 course with the cheese being central to the over all enjoyment. They allow half a duck breast if that per person

Not watched this latest one but I will this evening and no doubt I will cringe. Fanny's role as hostess should be to keep glasses topped up, get the conversation going between guests but what she does as with everything is make it about her. I did notice the screen shot that she only gives croissant, again most hosts would do croissant, pain aux raisin, pain au chocolate, bread. Stephanie is tight with others but oh so greedy for herself. Nothing worse than a mean host. If she hadn't been on Chateau DIY I believe she wouldn't have a B n B business now, there is so much competition and people who do it a lot better than her. For goodness sake she is only open 3 days a week. Fanny loathes the season and the guests she is not a people person, she just enjoys the adulation but only when she feels like it. Were Amaury and Natti waiting table?

I am so sick of them blaming architects for lack of work no architect takes 2 years to plan a beam Isabelle stop underestimating the intelligence of viewers. Architects are on it because that is how they earn a living.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
@carolinegooder7091
1 day ago
Sabine, Andie, on her way to her new house, Wendy and Amaury's parents have all been around. Plus Nic and family for Easter. As the heating is still mostly wood stoves and propane bottles, volunteers may have not been around much this winter.
---
user-ph9um6zh5p
2 days ago
What I do not like about Marie that she is cooking with her hair loose

• Haha
Reactions: 25
I think they buy in bulk cheaply After Eight mints as Snorts likes them. They are awful.
I see the hall wallpaper is coming off the wall. Also the lights they moved from the Fuk tat room just so they could use the Fortuny lampshades from Vienna will have proved to throw even less light than those carriage type lamps Snorts had Amaury remove. Then they have had to put huge light bulbs in to create better light levels and not the candle shaped bulbs. Those shades will scorch and likely catch fire. Ignorant stupid lazy idiots.
Nothing is PAT tested and Amaury is not a qualified electrician

• Angry
  • Heart
There are some people in life that, no matter what they try, they will always look scruffy and unkempt. FRK is one of those people.

I think that even in the best @billybudd chef's outfit she would not look the part. I don't think she should come out of the kitchen to speak to the guests, she looked stressed and grubby. A nicely presented menu on the table, or passed around with pre-dinner drinks would be enough.

Another problem that I can see is that if she wants to wear chef's whites they would need to be kept spotlessly cleaned and ironed in order to look good in front of guests. I cannot imagine anyone at the dump being capable of doing that throughout the B&B season. They would really need to send them to a professional laundry which, no doubt, SJ would not be happy to spend extra money on.

#keepFRKinthekitchenshelookslikeabaglady :LOL:
Quite honestly, I don’t see why Marie should dress up in a costume, portraying something she isn’t! She’s the cook in a private house that provides B&B accommodation. Guests have the option to have an evening meal en famille.

She is categorically and emphatically not a chef. Lalande is not a restaurant. The level of aggrandisement attached to that wretched place and its residents might be funny were it not so ridiculous.

Sure, Marie should look clean, neat and tidy but kitting herself out in chef’s whites is - I’m doing a Brenda now, “in my humble opinion” - nothing more than fatuous window dressing.

One of the stipulations attached to offering a table d’hote meal at a B&B establishment in a private house is that there is no written menu and no choice. Guests get what the host/s and household would be eating. If it goes beyond that, it’s getting into bistro/restaurant and/or auberge/small hotel territory, with the all the attendant requirements and regulations.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 34
user-ph9um6zh5p
2 days ago
What I do not like about Marie that she is cooking with her hair loose
Clean hair put up attractively, a crisply laundered and IRONED shirt/top/outfit and altogether a more professional outfit when meeting the guests!
Goodness me, this slightly dishevelled and overly casual style does not instill confidence in the cuisine! :rolleyes:
Marie, are you listening? 🥰

Oh , just saw this has been discussed already. Ah, well. I am not reading fast enough! :LOL: :love:

• Heart
  • Angry
Too kind.
For you all, I'd get a little bit funkier and Frenchier. Throw in some nettle pesto, yannow? Some sesame. And the good vino.
The other day somebody was asking for French onion soup, which is the mother of all stone soups. Here's a brand new reworked recipe of the classic, with cooked down white wine and sherry to deglaze the long caramelization of the onions. YummO
It was me @billybudd, thank you. I'll have to give this a try.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I'm not so good on timey-wimey™, but did you all get that Marie had to clean up breakfast the day she cooks dinner for the guests? Was it guest breakfast or the resident swine breakfast? I guess they eat together under table d'hote regs?
---

I'm with her on the cheese. Murricans are skeered of skanky French cheese. I would offer it though.
Not in Fanny’s tight budget.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Isabelle no architect takes two years to approve a structural beam come on-people have done renovations themselves we know the drill. Stop lying

@butzee
4 hours ago
So what happened to the salons panelling? Is the salon ever going to be completed?

2 replies

View attachment 2881253
@isabellejarvis7805
2 hours ago
We hope so when the OK is given by architect

View attachment 2881254
@butzee
2 hours ago
Ahhhh? Didn’t know that? Thanks View attachment 2881255

View attachment 2881256
@digitalportraitist
1 hour ago
What happened to the paneling and why don’t you have heat yet? When will the lake be done?

I don't know how a bnb business can legally facilitate live in guests when some of the bedroom walls are not attached to the floors above, the ground floor room is held up with akrows to stabilise the structure, the terrace which Natti was trying to keep Peacock poop free but is crumbling away is a seating area for guests. Would any sane person book a holiday knowing that the building was unsafe? Maries meals are starting to resemble MariAs.. Maybe the instruction from Upstairs to downstairs is keep the diners guessing.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 28
Regarding Fanny's outrageous room and dinner rates, and shockingly subpar accommodation, I would like to offer a comparison to Chateau Mareuil.

They are also British, on Chateau DIY and are only about 80kms from lielande although I'm not aware there has ever been any interaction between them (no surprise). The Chateau is genuinely historic and beautifully presented, has a pool (!) and they have amazing reviews on tripadvisor and booking.com etc. The hosts are lovely and the wife, Belinda, does all the food. She has credentials, not sure exactly what, and produces amazingly well put together generous menus using local and seasonal produce and the dinner rate for 4 courses with wine - and cheese - is 39 euros!! See below for a table setting that hasn't been Jackson Pollocked by a twit.

The accommodation rates are cheaper too and the rooms look beautifully done with no headache inducing clutter or clashing patterns to be seen.

I know where I would stay!!

ETA - no evidence of foil required to hold the candles straight either 😂😂. How do they do it?

View attachment 2882479

2hrs 45min from me ish. They have a YT channel but have not posted anything in a year, busy running a successful business, unlike Fanny who does nothing to improve hers.

• Heart
No she wasn't very gracious about the measuring cups . . . and I don't blame her. They were bits of novelty crap. Marie has been trying to introduce order and cleanliness into the kitchen and is then expected to ooh and aah about that bright pink garbage.
She didn't have to get excited about them but a simple 'Thank you' would have sufficed.

• Heart
  • Sad
With all the legal violations of taxes & health & safety, in France the biggest travesty must be serving boxed wine!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
There is a French ravioli. It hails from the Savoie and also from the Alsace region. It's a small ravioli. Normally filled with the cheeses of each region. Personally I find the pâte a little chewy.

Theses are the speciality of Savoie
View attachment 2882737
And here are the Alsace
View attachment 2882739
---

No. Please don't. I will permanently be in deficit!
---

Maybe the light change and lampshades is a ploy for a "dimmer" room. No direct light to actually see what you're eating!
---

Clara wasn't far off the mark for the price of the licence... The price can change from town to town and in large towns the price is higher. Top price, as quoted here, can be up to €50,000.

- Le prix de base d'une licence 4 oscille entre 7.500€ et 8.000€ en France. A noter cependant que le tarif pour acheter une licence 4 varie d'une ville à l'autre et peut facilement grimper jusqu'à 50.000€ pour les grandes villes où la demande est forte.27 janv. 2023 -

Our little village has a bar which has struggled over the years, had some real scallywags running it and lost it's licence. One of the previous gerants took his licence with him (they are transferable) when he suddenly upped sticks and left taking all the bar fittings with him which he did not own. The village wanted/needed to keep the bar running. It's a very popular and pretty village so having a bar was of benefit. The Mairie stepped in and, jumping through hoops, acquired the licence. They may even have bought the building that the bar is in such was their investment in keeping it running. But I do remember when they published the annual accounts the cost was quite breathtaking.
Yes Peter (It’s a wonderful life) made a very similar comment in their last vlog. A peppercorn rent he called it to keep the local bay open. Seems to be a common problem across France.

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.