The Chateau Diaries #3 Escape to La La Land

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ha ha. And his nostrils flared just a little when Dana introduced him as her "little assistant".
She also mentioned the fact that he's half her age;) I'm wondering if that was a slight dig at LOTL having a much younger 'toy boy':unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 4
The cheese farmer can drive of course. Try to be a farmer with no car in the middle of rural Berry 😅 BTW he's married (or with a partner). Once again, Stephanie's flirting with any men around (except the Ians mind you 😂) is becoming really embarrassing... for her.
Dana is bored in her rural life. And I don't blame her. She doesn't seem to work. She lives with her French husband Arnaud nearby.
Stephanie's french is not that great. She's not fluent and her accent is quite strong. That's the reason why the cheese guy made a joke about her english the first time we saw him in a video. It's strange because her mother supposedly spoke to her in french (to be verified...) and she spent all her holidays alone in France with her grandmother from the age of 3.
In comparison, Ryan's french prononciation is as perfect as a native but... I don't think he understands everything in french despite the fact he spent years in French schools ! Cf. The fiasco of his translation of Bonne Maman. I'm still laughing 😂
I don't feel she is flirting, it is just her way. She is a happy enthusiastic person and laughing a lot.
Even if one parent speaks in another language with you on daily basis it is normal to have an accent and not be that fluent in a second language. I can imagine it was like in my family that mummy was also not speaking always French but a funny mixture of half and half. Anyway she was working alot. I was once watching kids for a foreign neighbour in the afternoon basically because she wanted the kids to learn better German by immersion.
In the end I realised they didn't really benefit because all they heard from me was " Mum talk" like "no, I said no","Stop It", "do your homework", "do it now", "take care", "watch out" and things like that. (those sentences they might speak now without accent😂) Real conversations they rather heard on tv.

Two Monday morning random "Donegals", brought to you courtesy of a nocturnal brainstorm:

Stephanie has much less bounce in her mien
Since discovering the lake is not in her lien
Bound by EU directives
And water detectives
No torrents will flow, nothing, rien.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Brenda breaks down on a distant boreen *
Clutching her largest Spode soup tureen
Forget about craic
Now she's taking the flack
For a photoshopped pastoral scene

* a small, usually very bumpy country track in Ireland

~~~~~~~~~~

Also:

Brenda has really shot herself in the foot with that pathetic attempt to profiteer from Lalande and out-toile the rather beautiful design done by the Californian artist. Thank you, tho, to the INSPIRED artists on here for the wonderful examples of jo(u)yous creativity!

The latest Trotter Family Bodging It featuring the seemingly endless beam business was a triumph of how not to do things, from start to finish. It will be miraculous if that cottage remains upright long enough for the dismembered Aga to be put back together again. I still await mention of cost and then ensuing chaos of plumbing and electrics. Snorts of laughter on reading the comments, as one or two seemed to think the video was worthy of an Emmy.

I loathe goats cheese but, nonetheless, enjoyed yesterday's Cheese Man in the Lalande kitchen video. The end results looked delicious, even if I can't bear the main component. This is the sort of content that is trademark Stephanie: interesting, informative, engaging. (I absolutely love Camembert with honey drizzled on top plus garlic and some rosemary, shoved into the oven til runny then eaten with loads of crusty bread to dip into the gooey yumminess)
All the donegals really are a hit. We should find a way to monetize them😊

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Oh dear Brenda. Being a paying guest does not provide a shield from scrutiny when you choose to appear on a public platform such as Shat-O-Tube. ‘Tis the way of the world these days I’m afraid. I guess at least on the Fairy Irishmother’s page comments shall be duly moderated.

171726C9-D1B7-4693-A456-89E37419AF8E.jpeg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Breaking news : Philip's french is perfect ! A native. I was even surprised he could understand so easily what the goat farmer told him as he speaks very fast and in a very casual french. Philip answered in the same french and fast too. We don't know everything about this young man !
Perhaps this is the reason Philip became SJ's shopping assistant, I.e. his ability to speak/understand colloquial or idiomatic French. Although you would think that Stephanie has now lived in France long enough to be - at the very least - competent at casual, slangy language rather than the more formal French I imagine her maternal grandmother would have used as the norm and that Stephanie grew up speaking.

Edited because, on reflection, what I said above is - in part - absolute nonsense bearing in mind Stephanie needing her mama or Hanni on hand for Important Meetings with Important People!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
Breaking news : Philip's french is perfect ! A native. I was even surprised he could understand so easily what the goat farmer told him as he speaks very fast and in a very casual french. Philip answered in the same french and fast too. We don't know everything about this young man !
Who'd have thought! Hanni also speaks perfect French. Steph has an accent and you can hear English word order in her speech. Surprising that she hasn't immersed more in French culture and language after 15 years. The goat cheese man was a bit overwhelmed in the beginning, but relaxed towards the end (his hands started talking French 😀) there were a lot of people staring at him behind the camera😅

Last edited:
I do not speak any language other than English so the language subtleties described here are fascinating to me. Even I can sense that SJ is not entirely comfortable conversing in French.

Reactions: 10
Who'd have thought! Hanni also speaks perfect French. Steph has an accent and you can hear English word order in her speech. Surprising that she hasn't immersed more in French culture and language after 15 years. The goat cheese man was a bit overwhelmed in the beginning, but relaxed towards the end (his hands started talking French 😀) there were a lot of people staring at him behind the camera😅
Also, re: ‘unctuous’ — it actually means greasy whereas the French ‘onctueux’, which she probably meant, refers to a creamy consistency...

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I don't get why Brenda is a so called spokesperson for Lalande. I'm pretty sure Hanni can speak for herself. And why is the facebook page a closed page? If Brenda isn't an investor in the chateau then she can get bent.

I haven't spoken much French since doing O level donkeys years ago, but I find I can understand Stephanie perfectly. She speaks it just like we did in school i.e with English phrasing and accent! The only thing my ear picks up is the more authentic way of pronouncing the 'eau' sound at the end of words.

@Calvignac I'm surprised you thought Philip's french was any good. He clearly has an ear for accents as his english accent is fine but I thought his french sounded pretty shabby.

I agree with many of the comments about Stephanie's french. She has lived in france for the last FIFTEEN years, why on earth isn't it better? Sorry, we know why. Because her only connection to the local area seems to be Dana.

Have we worked out why Cat's french is so good yet?

EDIT: On another note, is anybody here a member of the ETTC DIY All Comments Welcome Facebook page? I am not but would be interested to hear what goes on behind closed doors. As far as I'm aware, it is another platform like this for people to be critical of the show.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
On a side note:whoever mentioned foxes afloat with their narrowboat silver fox, thanks so much. I became addicted since episode one. Never ever heard of a narrow boat before. Isn't Otis just lovely?
That was me and another contributor here. I find Foxes Afloat a complete antidote to Chateau life ! If you don’t know about English canals and narrowboat living you will enjoy the discovery.
Glad you like it.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
So I just joined Brenda's little facebook page, LOL! She seems very keen to turn off a lot of the comments on that page. I think Stephanie needs to step in and put a stop to it.

It was nice to see LOTL in front of the camera for a change and Nati did a great job filming her. Steph's French isn't rubbish, we're just wondering why it isn't any better.
@Calvignac
I've heard her say only "C'est tout?" (=that's all?) to the mail man delivering parcels, I'll hold my judgement 😂

So I just joined Brenda's little facebook page, LOL! She seems very keen to turn off a lot of the comments on that page. I think Stephanie needs to step in and put a stop to it.
There's nothing she can do. Brenda can have her fan page.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
That was me and another contributor here. I find Foxes Afloat a complete antidote to Chateau life ! If you don’t know about English canals and narrowboat living you will enjoy the discovery.
Glad you like it.
I love it. Who would guess that so many things can happen while travelling at slow speed. Each episode is fun. Thanks again

Reactions: 1
OMG.
I watched the Pethericks latest video.... Pa P. digging a trench with his digger between the main chateau and the cottage they're renovating for themselves (if I understood correctly).
The trench is for water pipes and electrical cables.
Some comments are very concerned by what he did (with his sons and their friend Sean supervision and approval).
As these comments said, the trench is not deep enough ! It's not safe.
Not safe for the electrical cables as someone in later years can dig a hole for gardening, trees, or anything else.
Not safe for the water pipes as winters in France are not winters in UK (even in Mayenne) and can be very cold with ice and sometimes snow. Water pipes can easily freeze if they're not deep enough under the surface.
Their trench doesn't fit the French standards for electrical main cables and for water pipes.
So dangerous !!

• Wow
I haven't spoken much French since doing O level donkeys years ago, but I find I can understand Stephanie perfectly. She speaks it just like we did in school i.e with English phrasing and accent! The only thing my ear picks up is the more authentic way of pronouncing the 'eau' sound at the end of words.
Yes, I am finally able to understand a word because usually when natives speak French I only understand : blabla toutsuite, blabla encore, blabla maitnant, blabla toujour. To me it feels like Canadian French which is also clearer to me. But her English is quite clear I always thought this is because of her singing background.

Reactions: 1
I don't feel she is flirting, it is just her way. She is a happy enthusiastic person and laughing a lot.
Even if one parent speaks in another language with you on daily basis it is normal to have an accent and not be that fluent in a second language. I can imagine it was like in my family that mummy was also not speaking always French but a funny mixture of half and half. Anyway she was working alot. I was once watching kids for a foreign neighbour in the afternoon basically because she wanted the kids to learn better German by immersion.
In the end I realised they didn't really benefit because all they heard from me was " Mum talk" like "no, I said no","Stop It", "do your homework", "do it now", "take care", "watch out" and things like that. (those sentences they might speak now without accent😂) Real conversations they rather heard on tv.

All the donegals really are a hit. We should find a way to monetize them😊
As I already explained, it depends on the child I suppose. Mine is bilingual from birth with no accent at all and very fluent in his two languages 😊

Reactions: 6
Dana also mentioned Arno also wasn’t her husband and that they recently broke up!
Has she become "cheese lady" now? If so, lucky Dana! :love:
EDIT:
Oops, finished reading posts and Dana herself, mentions cheeseman has a gf.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
OMG.
I watched the Pethericks latest video.... Pa P. digging a trench with his digger between the main chateau and the cottage they're renovating for themselves (if I understood correctly).
The trench is for water pipes and electrical cables.
Some comments are very concerned by what he did (with his sons and their friend Sean supervision and approval).
As these comments said, the trench is not deep enough ! It's not safe.
Not safe for the electrical cables as someone in later years can dig a hole for gardening, trees, or anything else.
Not safe for the water pipes as winters in France are not winters in UK (even in Mayenne) and can be very cold with ice and sometimes snow. Water pipes can easily freeze if they're not deep enough under the surface.
Their trench doesn't fit the French standards for electrical main cables and for water pipes.
So dangerous !!
I can barely watch the cottage renovation videos as it all seems so dangerous. They were standing on a wobbly scaffolding platform while messing around with the beam, of course very little protective gear was being worn. Is it a macho thing to not protect themselves when doing this work?!

@Calvignac do you think they will need to get the work in the cottage signed of by some kind of building regulations body when it's close to completion?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
@Calvignac I'm surprised you thought Philip's french was any good. He clearly has an ear for accents as his english accent is fine but I thought his french sounded pretty shabby.

I agree with many of the comments about Stephanie's french. She has lived in france for the last FIFTEEN years, why on earth isn't it better? Sorry, we know why. Because her only connection to the local area seems to be Dana.

EDIT: On another note, is anybody here a member of the ETTC DIY All Comments Welcome Facebook page? I am not but would be interested to hear what goes on behind closed doors. As far as I'm aware, it is another platform like this for people to be critical of the show.
Philip's french is excellent. Dana and Philip speak casually in French together.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.