The Chateau Diaries #208 Dan who is not the man akka "Manless Dan"

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I find I am more comfortable erring on the side of formality in both how I dress, and how I greet people I may no know very well. It's easier to go down than up!
I totally agree. This double kissing and hugging people that you have only just met is still rather alien to me and, on most occasions, makes me feel rather uncomfortable. Just why would you do that? Fine for friends and family but not complete strangers no matter what their culture.
Do you think it is a generational "thing" or just, current day social media pressure? :unsure:
From what I see on TV/in the media, some people do it even if when they don't actually like the other person. Again, :unsure:

Reactions: 11
BREAKING NEWS: Kween Kathy is retiring her flog! Fed up with the negativity effecting her life. Can’t says that I blame her. Even the most well intentioned, thick skinned person can succumb to the effects of negativity if hit on a daily basis! Bonne chance and Godspeed Kathy.

• Wow
Reactions: 28
@Summerbaby AND, the Strawbridges are now selling their chateau too!

I don’t think that their chateau is on the market i believe it is another one that was on the Chateau DIY programme that Dick narrated. Just misleading reporting.
Sorry @Imperious Me just seen your reply too.
If that isn't the case, then I wonder which chateau it is then? Must be one that was originally featured on CDIY, otherwise absolutely no relevance to the Strawbridges who were featured in the news articles. Yet again, just fake news maybe! ;)

Reactions: 3
Wasn’t that entertaining your sons future in-laws. How did you all get on and have they set a wedding date yet.
“Thank you for asking…” It ended up just fine. I’ve met the mother before, she’s very nice. It was a little stressful to me because of the renovations that were making their way inside and a few more people than usual. I already had linen napkins, I bought 2 matching linen tablecloths and some water hyacinth chargers. Used my husbands grandmother’s China, had my middle son that used to be a bus boy at a fancy Italian restaurant set the table properly, I used sea grape leaves with peoples names on it as place cards and of course my controversial pineapple centerpiece with mercury glass votives & unscented tea lights scattered around.

After dinner, I know it’s not her style and she does not want to use it, so no pressure from me, my son’s fiancé tried on my old wedding dress just for fun.

They don’t have a definite date set, but they’re looking at April or May 2024.
23CD9025-BCE4-421F-A260-2C38486E920C.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 40
BREAKING NEWS: Kween Kathy is retiring her flog! Fed up with the negativity effecting her life. Can’t says that I blame her. Even the most well intentioned, thick skinned person can succumb to the effects of negativity if hit on a daily basis! Bonne chance and Godspeed Kathy.
I never watched her vlogs, but from what I've read here I don't understand why she ever started a YT channel to begin with. IMO, a YT channel is like a business. You need to have a product or service, marketing plan, and a well thought out way to deliver it whether it's for profit or not. Otherwise, just do IG, Tik Tok or FB with images and short reels. Watching and listening to someone blab on about nothing, or worse, complaining is depressing and boring. 🥱

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I have always thought that Kathy would make a really good friend in reality.
BUT, her vlogs always had a bit of "Debbie Downer" element to them. I have stated that opinion in the past here too, with no malice intended either.
Plus, she was never backwards in coming forward with her own opinions either, although, when challenged or, offered a different viewpoint, she was always on the attack. :unsure: Well, that is my personal experience. But, each to their own!
YT is not a forum for everybody, for obvious reasons.
I totally agree. Bonne chance Kathy.

Reactions: 15
If that isn't the case, then I wonder which chateau it is then? Must be one that was originally featured on CDIY, otherwise absolutely no relevance to the Strawbridges who were featured in the news articles. Yet again, just fake news maybe! ;)
Think this was covered in an earlier thread it is the couple who did the ghastly Queen Victoria suite xx

Reactions: 12
Think this was covered in an earlier thread it is the couple who did the ghastly Queen Victoria suite xx
Sorry, these threads move forward so quickly these days!
OK, thanks for enlightening me.
So, the couple who had building/engineering background and created the tea room, correct?
Any idea why as I thought they were doing rather well. BUT, regardless, wouldn't blame them at the end of the day. As, who the hell in their right mind would buy a chateau in France that no French national would ever buy? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 8
I never watched her vlogs, but from what I've read here I don't understand why she ever started a YT channel to begin with. IMO, a YT channel is like a business. You need to have a product or service, marketing plan, and a well thought out way to deliver it whether it's for profit or not. Otherwise, just do IG, Tik Tok or FB with images and short reels. Watching and listening to someone blab on about nothing, or worse, complaining is depressing and boring. 🥱
It probably started as a slice of life video diary. I watched occasionally and I was a subscriber. I did admire her for donating any income generated to charity. Even more so for producing receipts of doing so.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Originally Kathy started her vlogs just for fun…sort of a video diary. She never expected anything out of it…it was really just for her. Then, she made a vlog where she commented about the thank you card she received from LaLaLande, months after she’d become a patron (I’d have to go back and look…she might have actually received the card after she’d already unsubscribed from SJ’s Patreon…just goes to show how late they were). Anyway, the comment wasn’t earth shattering, or particularly negative, but it got picked up here on Tattle (maybe some other places?) and that vlog took off…it got a ton of views. She was really surprised. She actually took a lot of flack from SJ’s deluded fans…the flying monkeys attacked. At first, she really didn’t have anything too negative to say about SJ, but that changed (as it does with most of us who see SJ’s antics). I appreciated her honest, tell-it-like-she-sees-it approach.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
“Thank you for asking…” It ended up just fine. I’ve met the mother before, she’s very nice. It was a little stressful to me because of the renovations that were making their way inside and a few more people than usual. I already had linen napkins, I bought 2 matching linen tablecloths and some water hyacinth chargers. Used my husbands grandmother’s China, had my middle son that used to be a bus boy at a fancy Italian restaurant set the table properly, I used sea grape leaves with peoples names on it as place cards and of course my controversial pineapple centerpiece with mercury glass votives & unscented tea lights scattered around.

After dinner, I know it’s not her style and she does not want to use it, so no pressure from me, my son’s fiancé tried on my old wedding dress just for fun.

They don’t have a definite date set, but they’re looking at April or May 2024.
View attachment 1892140
Happy to hear it went well and no disasters 😉. What a beautiful ring. That date will be here in no time.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Oh, she finally took her own advice and fucked off?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
She likes dishing it, but can't take the heat when anyone disagrees with her.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I originally thought that it was about Kathy giving tips/hints about people moving to France from the UK, e.g. ex-pats and the up/down-side of that experience. Perhaps that content ran its course and then she felt she needed to spread her wings into other areas for content. IDK!

Oh, she finally took her own advice and fucked off?
You are just so naughty! Fair play to you. Absolutely love your honesty because, from personal experience, I know that if I had said that, a ton of bricks would have come down on me! ;) ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
It's the one with the butch looking chef wife, (not being rude honest), and I think her hubby is Scottish... they had a cafe in the chateau..

Reactions: 6
It's the one with the butch looking chef wife, (not being rude honest), and I think her hubby is Scottish... they had a cafe in the chateau..
I remember watching that vlog. They put so much work into the tea room. Once again, many of these chateau people are winging it without having the knowledge or skill to pull it off. You really need to have a detailed cost analysis business plan before jumping in. From what I saw, there was no way they were ever going to make a profit. No customer base, hoping people would just drive by and see the sign, putting out an awful lot of homemade food so basically paying themselves nothing, nice idea but not sustainable.

Reactions: 15
Here we go:

Ok, that is the chateau that I was directed to by another member. I wonder why, as I thought they were doing ok?

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.