The Chateau Diaries #202 The Fleuries next Christmas grift candle may smell of greed, sweat & regret

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We didn't even put up a tree this year. :cry: My kids' dad gave us a 7' pre-lit LED tree a few years ago and we've always put it up on Dec. 1st but this year we just...didn't. We don't have any little kids living here anymore so my daughter figured, why bother. We went crazy with the presents but nowhere to put them. I guess we'll just hand them out right out of the shopping bag...I did wrap them!!!...LOL...sorry I'm just not in the Christmassy mood.
One of the most memorable Christmases for me was when I was 12 years old. My grandmother had a massive heart attack about 2 weeks before Christmas. She lived about 6 hours away, so my mom immediately dropped everything and rushed to be with her (and my grandfather) at the hospital. About one week later, when school let out for Christmas break, my dad, sister, and I joined her. We spent Christmas away from home unexpectedly that year. No Christmas tree, no presents, no big Christmas dinner. But, we were together. After a month in the hospital, my grandmother recovered and went home. So, don’t worry about the Christmas tree or all the other “trappings” around the holidays. Just enjoy spending time with the people you love and care about. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 40
It all makes so much sense now. Shorty didn't like Alex..he was pouting and mad which we saw in a few videos. Remember when he left the table. Jared latched.onto Pavilion to stay out of the way.Alex was.probably crying that he had to leave hense the dark glasses. And Stuart had to come to cook for everyone because heaven knows no.one else there will cook the plot thickens wonder how much we will see this weekend ???

Reactions: 24
I'm still finding the dismissal of Alexander a mystery. He claims he was told there's no room at the castle for him. That's hard to believe as there are so many rooms and most of the guests coming are couples that will be sharing a space. Stuart, I still don't understand why anyone would name their daughter that, is there to cook for the hoard, probably being paid. Is the refugee staying? No gardening to do now. Will she be the scullery maid? I guess Alexander just didn't fit in. He is kind of a joy killer and do nothing when he's not making curtains. Like others have pointed out, Phyllis didn't like him. Jared was a big contributor so he was welcomed and had a husband and home to go home to. I can understand why the Pethericks wanted to get rid of Alexander. He's kind of dead weight that needs to be fed. What a strange life, shuffling from chateau to chateau. Where does his money come from? Trust fund? Will he show up at another chateau on YT? Who would have ever thought there would be a group of drifting chateau groupies! Actually, it's probably been going on since chateaus have been in existence. Maybe he can go help Selmar with the ballroom. 🤣 🕺

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
I'm still finding the dismissal of Alexander a mystery. He claims he was told there's no room at the castle for him. That's hard to believe as there are so many rooms and most of the guests coming are couples that will be sharing a space. Stuart, I still don't understand why anyone would name their daughter that, is there to cook for the hoard, probably being paid. Is the refugee staying? No gardening to do now. Will she be the scullery maid? I guess Alexander just didn't fit in. He is kind of a joy killer and do nothing when he's not making curtains. What a strange life, shuffling from chateau to chateau. Where does his money come from? Trust fund? Will he show up at another chateau on YT? Who would have ever thought there would be a group of drifting chateau groupies! Actually, it's probably been going on since chateaus have been in existence. Maybe he can go help Selmar with the ballroom. 🤣 🕺
WHO WOULD HAVE EVER THOUGHT THERE WOULD BE A GROUP OF DRIFTING CHATEAU GROUPIES
Nicely stated. We should make a list.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
As for the Christmas decor throughout the house. I don't like flashing lights because it triggers migraines. However, their Christmas decor around the big tree looked like Santa's house in the north pole, reading his letters.
[/QUOTE]
I was in Finland and I visited Santa's house. Santa's house is beautiful and modestly decorated.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 16
One of the most memorable Christmases for me was when I was 12 years old. My grandmother had a massive heart attack about 2 weeks before Christmas. She lived about 6 hours away, so my mom immediately dropped everything and rushed to be with her (and my grandfather) at the hospital. About one week later, when school let out for Christmas break, my dad, sister, and I joined her. We spent Christmas away from home unexpectedly that year. No Christmas tree, no presents, no big Christmas dinner. But, we were together. After a month in the hospital, my grandmother recovered and went home. So, don’t worry about the Christmas tree or all the other “trappings” around the holidays. Just enjoy spending time with the people you love and care about. ❤
Thank you Ky for this beautiful family story! While I don't have a tree this year, I did decorate for the holidays. I try to use as much natural greenery as possible. I prefer a more subtle decor, mostly fresh greens punctuated with sparkly white and silver, it goes well with the cool color palette of my furniture and interior space. While I like the more traditional colors of red and green, it's just too jarring with what I have. I think the important thing is to do what makes you feel happy. I have been a bit of a scrooge in Christmas past and always wished I had done more to make the season bright. Next year I will have a tree and it will be live, a Noble fir! Saving up for it now. I used my cash rewards from my credit card this year to buy decorations. It's less painful and guilt free! 🤣 🎄

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Handwritten thank you notes are de rigueur no matter how you received the gift. It shows deliberate intention and effort. Texting, calling or emailing, in my book, are not acceptable, they are the lazy way out. Writing a note means that you either need to buy or make a card, think about what you are going to say, maybe even write a draft, use your best handwriting, get a stamp and mail or deliver it. Receiving a thank you card is a very nice gesture. Once a colleague of mine, who should have known better, bought us all donuts and put them in the staff room as a group thank you for putting on her bridal shower and buying gifts. I was not impressed. Others in her age group started doing the same thing explaining that it was so much easier than writing individual thank you notes! And these were teachers who were always going on and on about their students bad manners. I don't even like donuts. 🍩
I think it depends on the generation and culture you were raised in. My parents and grandparents expected thank you notes, hand written on personal stationary. Nothing preprinted was acceptable. To this day it’s just an automatic reaction to receiving a gift of any kind. Also to accept or refuse an invitation. The only time I ever had difficulty was writing the notes after my mother’s funeral. I was so badly broken by that it took months. So much so it became a bit of a scandal in our small town. I was recently stunned to learn other than teaching students to sign their names, cursive handwriting is no longer taught in most American schools! Polite manners have been eroding for years but it seems to be reaching a tipping point. Not long I ago I was lectured by an older woman for whom I had held open a door. She seemed to think I was impugning her ability to do so for herself. I open car doors for women. I give up my seat on the streetcar and regularly use the sentence, “No ma’am, ladies first”. I’m sure many see it as old fashioned or strange. It’s simply the way I was brought up. Thank you notes is just part of that behavior.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
I'm still finding the dismissal of Alexander a mystery. He claims he was told there's no room at the castle for him. That's hard to believe as there are so many rooms and most of the guests coming are couples that will be sharing a space. Stuart, I still don't understand why anyone would name their daughter that, is there to cook for the hoard, probably being paid. Is the refugee staying? No gardening to do now. Will she be the scullery maid? I guess Alexander just didn't fit in. He is kind of a joy killer and do nothing when he's not making curtains. Like others have pointed out, Phyllis didn't like him. Jared was a big contributor so he was welcomed and had a husband and home to go home to. I can understand why the Pethericks wanted to get rid of Alexander. He's kind of dead weight that needs to be fed. What a strange life, shuffling from chateau to chateau. Where does his money come from? Trust fund? Will he show up at another chateau on YT? Who would have ever thought there would be a group of drifting chateau groupies! Actually, it's probably been going on since chateaus have been in existence. Maybe he can go help Selmar with the ballroom. 🤣 🕺
I wonder whether Billy will mention Alexander in his vlog tonight, updating everyone? I hope so. :cool:

• Wow
Reactions: 14
It all makes so much sense now. Shorty didn't like Alex..he was pouting and mad which we saw in a few videos. Remember when he left the table. Jared latched.onto Pavilion to stay out of the way.Alex was.probably crying that he had to leave hense the dark glasses. And Stuart had to come to cook for everyone because heaven knows no.one else there will cook the plot thickens wonder how much we will see this weekend ???
And Snorts and his dad are involved with the Shitto shenanigans so Snorts can have a temper tantrum and F4F must pacify him and do what he desires, e.g., send Alex on his way.

• Angry
  • Sad
@Lochness Monster wanted to do some research regarding their care home wealth if my memory is right.........
Yes it was me!
I had responses from a local historian..who said that the newspapers at the time of the Jarvis gang running the home and selling it were not digitalised.
I have tracked down some obituary details of some who died . I could get copies of their wills to see if the6leftbmoneynto the Jarvis gang but…. The reports about subsequent care at the home described it not in a particularly good light with bedrooms shared and cold meals etc.
I am quite sure Mummy was a mean nurse . So much for Fanny saying her parents thought if the elderly patients with Alzheimer’s were in beautiful surroundings it would help them.
They are a family who have convinced themselves they are deserving and fabulous.
Why did Daddybhave so much time to paint those weird paintings.Did the elderly have to look at them?

In any case so much to research but really we all know a con when we see one.
As for Amoury who is recorded as a resident of the uk and not in work according to the Gov records….? Just why?
He is now resi in France and definitely being employed.
And the Aunt and Uncle set up their property development company for their own property. This is not that unusual in the Uk as a way to tax dodge all the building costs.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I think it depends on the generation and culture you were raised in. My parents and grandparents expected thank you notes, hand written on personal stationary. Nothing preprinted was acceptable. To this day it’s just an automatic reaction to receiving a gift of any kind. Also to accept or refuse an invitation. The only time I ever had difficulty was writing the notes after my mother’s funeral. I was so badly broken by that it took months. So much so it became a bit of a scandal in our small town. I was recently stunned to learn other than teaching students to sign their names, cursive handwriting is no longer taught in most American schools! Polite manners have been eroding for years but it seems to be reaching a tipping point. Not long I ago I was lectured by an older woman for whom I had held open a door. She seemed to think I was impugning her ability to do so for herself. I open car doors for women. I give up my seat on the streetcar and regularly use the sentence, “No ma’am, ladies first”. I’m sure many see it as old fashioned or strange. It’s simply the way I was brought up. Thank you notes is just part of that behavior.
Yes, you are right. I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to manners. I also know from being a teacher that most people can't write worth a damn. They don't even know what constitutes a sentence, let alone put together a decent paragraph. Spelling is out the window when writing by long hand as opposed to using Word with spell check. And of course, handwriting itself has become a lost art. Cursive, for the most part, isn't taught anymore. It was my secret code because my students couldn't read it! ✍🏼 🕵🏼

• Heart
I don't watch it, but that kid is going to get diabetes if they don't do something now....
A lot of people agree with you, but we are then accused of fat shaming, it's just a shame because he seems a lovely lad. Health is everything so hopefully he will take control of his own diet soon.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Fanny to a T!

Machiavellianism is a personality trait that denotes cunningness, the ability to be manipulative, and a drive to use whatever means necessary to gain power. Machiavellianism is one of the traits that forms the Dark Triad, along with narcissism and psychopathy.

Attachments

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
Have just watched the latest Advent vlog and F4F was very keen to convey that Amaury is capable of fixing the chateau. So she's going to do it on the cheap, while still appealing for additional money from the public. What will she do with this extra money, on top of the oodles that she already receives? The greed is so beyond blatant now. She's obviously got a very thick skin.

• Angry
Reactions: 23
Random Thoughts:
Aunty's tree is definitely gaudy, but still a giant step up from the $2,000 Tartan origami Philip concoction.
The peach hue in Mr. & Mrs. Candle's dining room is odd. Maybe the color will look better with a few more coats of paint...but I highly doubt it.

Love the discussion on holiday gifts. With my unexpected surgery and lengthy recovery, it looked like Christmas would be put on the back burner. But my daughter has offered to cook dinner (she's a better cook than I am). Furthermore, everyone has been so supportive; I believe everyone deserves a treat. So, I booked an oceanfront home in the Bahamas for February as a "family gift." My people are ecstatic! A new tradition is born.

I find it hard to believe that Potty, Nick, and mostly mad dog Isabelle would allow anyone else's nose in the financials.

My bespoke Jules tile has temporarily been changed to a picture of my hometown (Pictured is Chicago on St. Patty's Day. They dye the river green for the occasion). No matter how old I am, I still miss home desperately around the holidays.
Please, St Patrick's Day, no odd abbreviations. (I'm Irish in Ireland)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
so many people staying there...all using electric heaters and blankets...the clock tickens... ;) i am not a cruel person...but one would hope the fuzebox melts... so they can all spend Christmas without electricity...:rolleyes: and hot water...that will be a fun affair Au Chateau....no doubt they still have some grifted candles left...

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Is this the same guy the Pethericks dumped off at the shitoo?
If so, Tattle is calling you....come to us Alexander and receive a warm embrace🫂 from the 15 or so menapausal trolling hags😉
Whilst it is shocking that he's been turfed out, he is a grown man and should take control of his own life. Not be passed around like a Granny who someone has to accommodate.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I don’t really see my nieces a lot during the year due to their academic and teaching schedules, so for birthday and Christmas presents, I always get them some type of kitchen item or home type item, etc. I got my 2 nieces ( who are 26 and 28 years old) this guide to slice hasselback styled potatoes. So they can have fancy potatoes. I also got both of them a 4 pack of large potatoes that were wrapped in cellophane. Alas, unforunately between the 3 days I purchased the potatoes and they opened the gift sack with the potatoes, a couple of the potatoes had started sprouting. Is that not reminiscent of a F4F 1st world problem?

What I have read about this style of potato presentation (multiple slices and fanned out potato) was that it was developed in the 1950s in Sweden. But then I have seen other info saying that it did not originate in Sweden

Since we have such a diverse world wide audience here,I would like to ask if any Tattlers have prepared or eaten Hasselback styled potatoes in their home country. I had never seen potatoes styled in this manner, but then again, I am from Tennessee, so please forgive me for lack of worldliness (which I know is shocking since the F4F infamous Marie Antoinette descendent tree dopplelganger, the Tulip Poplar, is one of the official state trees). In Tennessee potatoes are usually either baked, fried, mashed, or smashed into oblivion before serving.

81R7Dr81vEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 17
It seems that there is not room for Alexander at the CHMN for the holidays.

Alexander, you should have cooked the very first day! Didn't you learn anything from tattle?

I don’t really see my nieces a lot during the year due to their academic and teaching schedules, so for birthday and Christmas presents, I always get them some type of kitchen item or home type item, etc. I got my 2 nieces ( who are 26 and 28 years old) this guide to slice hasselback styled potatoes. So they can have fancy potatoes. I also got both of them a 4 pack of large potatoes that were wrapped in cellophane. Alas, unforunately between the 3 days I purchased the potatoes and they opened the gift sack with the potatoes, a couple of the potatoes had started sprouting. Is that not reminiscent of a F4F 1st world problem?

What I have read about this style of potato presentation (multiple slices and fanned out potato) was that it was developed in the 1950s in Sweden. But then I have seen other info saying that it did not originate in Sweden

Since we have such a diverse world wide audience here,I would like to ask if any Tattlers have prepared or eaten Hasselback styled potatoes in their home country. I had never seen potatoes styled in this manner, but then again, I am from Tennessee, so please forgive me for lack of worldliness (which I know is shocking since the F4F infamous Marie Antoinette descendent tree dopplelganger, the Tulip Poplar, is one of the official state trees). In Tennessee potatoes are usually either baked, fried, mashed, or smashed into oblivion before serving.

View attachment 1818437
Yes, I know those very well. Two countries have them regularly as a dish: tic tocia and instagramia, not sure about pinterestia though

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.