The Chateau Diaries #18 Porky mitts and porky pies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So when does he work to afford the travel? And Gerry is very social and I’m pretty sure he has a social life in the UK.
Well, there may be some cultural differences here. When I worked in the US, it was standard 60-70 hours per week with two weeks' holiday. Yeah, as a European, not for me. In the UK, standard 40-50 hours per week, four plus weeks' holiday. The Netherlands standard 32- 36 hours per week and a lot of holidays! France is similar. Gerry could earn quite a lot working Sundays and Evenings, so that would enable him to have free time. He is also not far off retirement age, so I wouldn't judge him too harshly.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I was a bit irked by BJJ stapling the fabric on the frames to hold the matresses... How do you wash it? How do you avoid dirt or bedbugs?
They don't, it disgustes me when they take upholstered furniture from the brocante. I don't want to know what they've already taken to her tit-o 🐜🦗🕷🦟🦠.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
@lolander has already prepared a voting post!

Well done Lolander! 😉(y)

I think @Laurent might be gone to ground, there was some specualtion about his true identity! 😂 🤫
Thanks again Iolander. There is a pattern emerging of new people coming along and wanting things done differently but they soon disappear as soon as they are asked to go ahead and actually do it.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
The garden and landscaping the grounds are way to much work for one person
I always thought that the surroundings of the château had been maintained relatively well even before she hired Dan. It definitely looks different if you don't do anything.

Reactions: 3
Being not a true gardener she will mess up with the seeds anyway. It is quite some work to make seeds grow. She will need to go every day to the greenhouse and look after them. She was not even able to water them properly. Even Phil asked if the seeds she was supposed to put 10cm deep in soil don't need soil beneath them? 🙈
And then when it comes to planting them in the garden....? I just don't see her doing it.
One day she will say that seeds just didn't grow. And order some grown plants from UK. Which she will then accidentally sent to London.

You have to be real passionate about gardening, otherwise it's not even worth the money. She spent so much on compost and will end with nothing. Instead she could buy flowers right away.
I didnt get the point..Dahlias from seed?? it takes ages to get some flowers..buy bulbs..And sweet peas you can best plant where you want them, a bit later in spring.. Also it is strange she didnt speak with Dan before she went to the shop..Being all those unions already planted..I dont think there is much talk with her workers about who is doing what..

Reactions: 14
Thanks again Iolander. There is a pattern emerging of people wanting things done differently but they soon disappear as soon as they are asked to go ahead and actually do it.
TBF @lolander has already prepared a voting post, so perhaps he feels it would be inappropriate to do another one?

We can add to Lolander's post if we have other suggestions but I see no reason not to stick with the one she has prepared. If we have too many voting posts it will become confusing. Laurent also said he does not have enough privileges to create a thread, so it looks like we are back to normal.

I'm sure he didn't mean any harm, he wrote a post explaining himself. He was very keen on having a French thread title, I think the application for charity status may have been the straw for him, and many other tattlers. I think that particular demonstration of SSB's avarice has rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
They don't, it disgustes me when they take upholstered furniture from the brocante.
I have always said that on the off chance I ever had a Chateau I would definitely have a fumigation shed. Everything would have to spend time in there before seeing the inside of the property.

Reactions: 15
Well, there may be some cultural differences here. When I worked in the US, it was standard 60-70 hours per week with two weeks' holiday. Yeah, as a European, not for me. In the UK, standard 40-50 hours per week, four plus weeks' holiday. The Netherlands standard 32- 36 hours per week and a lot of holidays! France is similar. Gerry could earn quite a lot working Sundays and Evenings, so that would enable him to have free time. He is also not far off retirement age, so I wouldn't judge him too harshly.
Yes, and he also doesnt have children i guess? and being ill i think he is doing a good job enjoying himself a bit..Not everybody lives to the age of 80..

I truly wish Tattle would STOP helping the con artist refine her scam
What do you mean? Do you think that I am one of the Lalanders? I would not be offended it you think so.
As English language is not my mother language (I am French) and being new on this site, I have been a bit shy till now for writing a comment.

I have always said that on the off chance I ever had a Chateau I would definitely have a fumigation shed. Everything would have to spend time in there before seeing the inside of the property.
For sure, all that woodworm.. and i guess it all smells like a grannyfarm :p I for sure look at furniture in chateaux in a different light..they all buy their furniture there..Not to imagine you have to sleep in a bed there..which you cannot even clean properly..

• Sick
Reactions: 7
What do you mean? Do you think that I am one of the Lalanders? I would not be offended it you think so.
As English language is not my mother language (I am French) and being new on this site, I have been a bit shy till now for writing a comment.
Not accusing you of anything

Reactions: 1
They don't, it disgustes me when they take upholstered furniture from the brocante. I don't want to know what they've already taken to her tit-o 🐜🦗🕷🦟🦠.
Or what you may bring back home...when you have stayed there..bedbugs can go easily in your luggage..and then to see at home, how you get rid of them again..The more i think about it.. the more it disgusts me..And everything is upholstered...you cannot clean a bed like that..

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Just a minute... I think we're looking at something here that's on an unprecedented scale... I mean, can you get an entire shato into a fumigation shed? Because the whole place needs doing and if you did do that the place would be empty afterwards... 🤣 And what's the legal situation regarding pest control? Or wouldn't it matter if you killed off aliens from Planet Scrounge?

• Haha
  • Wow
As English language is not my mother language (I am French) and being new on this site, I have been a bit shy till now for writing a comment
I think it refers to the thread title you liked rather than your comment.

Not accusing you of anything
I am not offended anyway as this site has obviously visitors from Lalande.
It is entertaining to read all your comments. I went back to my previous message and noticed a few mistakes. My level of English is certainly and unfortunately far from being the best.
I enjoyed Dick and Angel's shows. That brought me to watch Lalande's vlogs. I so disagree with people buying properties and making others to pay for the renovations and much more. This led me to Tattle.

Thanks again Iolander. There is a pattern emerging of new people coming along and wanting things done differently but they soon disappear as soon as they are asked to go ahead and actually do it.
What I thought was funny with the thread we are now on is I wondered if people who are not from the UK understood what porky pies meant? And if not that it is from Cockney rhyming slang which allegedly came from those who wanted to speak in code to each other so the police wouldn't understand what they were talking about or another explanation is that it was a form of patter between street salesmen. So in this instance Porky Pies = lies.

Reactions: 8
TBF @lolander
I'm sure he didn't mean any harm, he wrote a post explaining himself. He was very keen on having a French thread title, I think the application for charity status may have been the straw for him, and many other tattlers. I think that particular demonstration of SSB's avarice has rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way!
And considering all that money then gets spent on joinery by a UK firm...
All that joinery, really? After the structural / damp issues are tackled, now was the time to show how good a thrifter you are ! Can China not be stored in cupboards, of which there are PLENTY to choose from, even nice ones, in charity shops? Wouldn’t even have to make the joiners work extra hard for the China pantry to look like it’s been there 100 years. I get it, cupboards are not as bespoke, but does it warrant the price difference? It’s not as if the China will be exposed in one of the reception rooms.
And it’s been said before, but going with UK tradesmen again, after getting French ‘association’ status to save on taxes, not even spending the money locally? There are so many things that are morally wrong with this. I forgot, joiner has to be English because vlog content. My apologies, France is but a movie set.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.