The Chateau Diaries #176 The Chronicles of Lieland: The Lyin', The Betch and The Crossdresser's Wardrobe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Now that we've seen the real reveal and not the unfinished channel 4 reveal, I like the room better. Amaury definitely has some woodworking skills! I'm glad she's going to address the doors and fireplace. I think a trompe l'oeil treatment is the best way to go.
It doesn't matter to me. The end result looks like tit. Sorry Ann Marie, you working for the wrong person. Even if you have good craftsmanship if the design is off it is gonna be all off

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Now that we've seen the real reveal and not the unfinished channel 4 reveal, I like the room better. Amaury definitely has some woodworking skills! I'm glad she's going to address the doors and fireplace. I think a trompe l'oeil treatment is the best way to go.
I agree once those doors and fireplace are sorted it will be the best room in the shittoo by far.
But it couldn’t have been done without wonder boy the smug Squirrel who did all the hard work in getting that room together. He not only worked out all the measurements for AnneMarie, he was also the only one there who knew how panelling is arranged along each wall, but his piece de resistance was cutting out and sticking a daffodil onto the already hung wallpaper. He is a genius so it’s no wonder Fanny spends all that money on things he wants, she cannot afford to lose such talent.

I honestly wouldn't slag her off too much based on this room. The panelling and the wallpaper seem appropriate for the place. This might be one of the few appropriate things she has ever done to that crumbling heap of stones.

I understand the renaissance green even though the contemporary application to the chimney breast is probably not to everyone's taste. I wouldn't want to live in the room but I don't think it's awful.

I'm sure she'll make it awful by piling up tat as per usual. In any case, the top of that panelling will be caked in dust in couple of weeks for sure.
Agree.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Here you go ya filthy animals

Thank you for posting this!
I think it looks much better than the still pictures! I was clearly wrong about the fireplace - it's painted! The only area that had any texture was on the right hand corner. I still find that spatially it's still all out of whack....and the fact that she's going to gold leaf the paneling and have a gold leaf, tromp l'oeil painted on the doors is a bit much. I should not have been as harsh in my earlier criticism, as it appears to be historically correct. I'm impressed that she did that!

She likes it and that's all that matters, I guess!

I honestly wouldn't slag her off too much based on this room. The panelling and the wallpaper seem appropriate for the place. This might be one of the few appropriate things she has ever done to that crumbling heap of stones.

I understand the renaissance green even though the contemporary application to the chimney breast is probably not to everyone's taste. I wouldn't want to live in the room but I don't think it's awful.

I'm sure she'll make it awful by piling up tat as per usual. In any case, the top of that panelling will be caked in dust in couple of weeks for sure.
I agree, now that I've seen it live and not just in still pictures. I think it's a difficult room, with that big fireplace in the corner and she probably did the best she could with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19
Photo one -
Case in point re: fire screen is in proportion to the size of the fireplace. However, as much as I love this room, the monks chair belongs in a hallway or entrance hall, not in this room. The overall colouring is very impressive. It's a room one walks into expecting to find weighty tomes on heraldry, the rules of chivalry, priceless Ptolemy maps carelessly scattered about, and the resident professional candle dribbler hard at work.

Photo two: The only things missing are the pack of Irish wolfhounds lounging on the rug in front of the fire place, oh and a rug.
Not so sure about rugs.
Edited to add, what are you calling a monk's chair? First, some of that furniture, was built out of the beams of Reims Cathedral, bombed in WWI. If the monk's chair is part of that suite, I can understand his wanting to keep it together.
Wondering why one would exile a chair to an entrance hall, where no one will sit in it?

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 6.47.53 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 9

Welcome back! You’ve been missed!

Reactions: 30
Here you go ya filthy animals

Thank you for this OhIDontKnow. It's much appreciated. ❤

Well... in this great reveal we have learnt that Philip's "incredibly hard work" consisted of -
Wallpapering bits of the room.
Standing about whilst holding a painting.
Cutting out a wallpaper daffodil.
Making a wallpaper petal.
Vacuuming a sofa and a floor.
Masterly opening a hidden door.
Painting a 20 cm square of green paint on the chimney brest,
(and managing to spill the aforementioned paint on the floor).

Gosh he's a talent, isnt he! I'm in awe, I tell you! Complete awe!

So who's the real talent here? OhIDontKnow!

• Haha
Reactions: 33
FFS I skipped so much of the video that I didn't hear about the gold leafing. She should learn when to stop! I know, she'll never understand the meaning of less is more.

Stephanie Jarvis thinks she's a maximalist but she's just a hoarder.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
I'm so behind on all the Marquis Suite tit (I hate that she uses my name!)

But just want to share, I got these samples through work. The wallpaper Stefanny used comes in two versions, a very very expensive grasscloth, and a less expensive paper version (she chose paper of course). Grasscloth looks woven and textural like a tapestry, reflects light like silver and gold threads would have, it is incredible in person! The paper is beautiful, shows every thread detail but not nearly as magical. (See left vs. right bottom pic). It's only available to people with "trade" accounts so I'm curious who's she used to be able to purchase it.

It's definitely not everyone's style, but when done right could be really amazing and I love this wallpaper.

But from what I've seen from your pics, SJ totally wasted the opportunity and privilege to buy the wallpaper. It looks horrible - fireplace is OFFENSIVE, Armoire's millwork is too big bad scale, ceiling is horribly bright, ugly doors. Can't wait to watch these videos and see what a mess she made with expensive wallpaper this time!

IMG_0855.jpg
IMG_0856.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 43

She does talk about refacing the fireplace, and doing trompe l'oeil panelling on the doors in the future. I may be coming around to the point of it's not my taste, but it's not bad. I think @M&MsMom is on point about the scale though. I think the wallpaper scale gives a vertiginous kind of funhouse effect, too close in too small a room. The wallpaper, the panelling, the coving altogether in that small space is just too much. I think you could have one. I'd chose the panelling. Without the planned gold traceries.

Reactions: 24

But just want to share, I got these samples through work. The wallpaper Stefanny used comes in two versions, a very very expensive grasscloth, and a less expensive paper version (she chose paper of course). Grasscloth looks woven and textural like a tapestry, reflects light like silver and gold threads would have, it is incredible in person! The paper is beautiful, shows every thread detail but not nearly as magical. (See left vs. right bottom pic). It's only available to people with "trade" accounts so I'm curious who's she used to be able to purchase it.

It's definitely not everyone's style, but when done right could be really amazing and I love this wallpaper.

But from what I've seen from your pics, SJ totally wasted the opportunity and privilege to buy the wallpaper. It looks horrible - fireplace is OFFENSIVE, Armoire's millwork is too big bad scale, ceiling is horribly bright, ugly doors. Can't wait to watch these videos and see what a mess she made with expensive wallpaper this time!

View attachment 1549849View attachment 1549850
The grass cloth version looks beautiful.

• Heart
Reactions: 24

View attachment 1549849View attachment 1549850
Thank you for weighing in with an expert opinion. I'm glad you like the wallpaper and am relieved to know there's a more cloth-like version.
Its texturelessness was my complaint about the wallpaper. Like if you're going for tapestry, the texture and implied softness and warmth and -- permeability? -- is the key.
I actually think grasscloth would look gorgeous in there. Grasscloth and two or three nice Mark Rothkos.
How would you do it up? Would you keep panelling, wallpaper and coving?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
While the wainscotting was executed well from a carpentry POV, the scale is way off and way too clunky for that room. He should have known better and said so to the princess. When I first saw the still shots for the room, the woodwork stood out to me immediately. An opportunity lost but hardly unexpected.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Paneling is fairly done but absolutely stained/preserved incorrectly yuck 🤢 wallpaper beyond hideous 👈

Look at the state of the pianos side 😳
Did you notice the sheet music on the piano? Mozart and oh dear wtaf... cringe cringe - Momma Mia.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
I can’t disclose the Tassie National dish cos I can’t offend any Tassies here 🤣
The Tasmanian State dish... it's those deep fried battered Mars Bars you can buy from the chippy van parked at Constitution Dock in Hobart, isnt it! 🤣

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
Years ago I restored my early1800's farmhouse with period antiques which included some primitive portraits of people. They used to scare to crap out of my kids. In retrospect, I should have hung landscapes instead of traumatizing them as they still talk about those portraits.:unsure::ROFLMAO:
My stepmom has some vintage photos of her relatives that creep me out. They are in oval frames with curved glass and the scale is about life size… I feel like they are watching me. She’s moved them to a guest room that I don’t sleep in. 👻

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Years ago I restored my early1800's farmhouse with period antiques which included some primitive portraits of people. They used to scare to crap out of my kids. In retrospect, I should have hung landscapes instead of traumatizing them as they still talk about those portraits.:unsure::ROFLMAO:
When I was a young child, we had family portraits on the hall wall. I could see them from my bed and they had to be taken down as they gave me nightmares. I thought the eyes were watching me.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
She does talk about refacing the fireplace, and doing trompe l'oeil panelling on the doors in the future. I may be coming around to the point of it's not my taste, but it's not bad. I think @M&MsMom is on point about the scale though. I think the wallpaper scale gives a vertiginous kind of funhouse effect, too close in too small a room. The wallpaper, the panelling, the coving altogether in that small space is just too much. I think you could have one. I'd chose the panelling. Without the planned gold traceries.
Trompe l’oeil painting hmmm…where have we seen that before at the shitoo?!? Oh right, the other gay faux boyfriend, Michael Petherick. Perhaps she’s trying to provide the gay lodger with an opportunity to show he’s just as talented as her previous handbag holder? After all, Tattle has been comparing them lately as have her more contentious commenters and PhiPhi is not making the better showing.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.