The Chateau Diaries #11 Shat o shenanigans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I initially was drawn to and life at the Lalande. I liked the idea of daily life, the renovations, sewing, cooking and initially the mix of characters. I never warmed to MPK however and as we were introduced the Trotters, my dislike of the whole bunch of them intensified. Sadly, I think SJ became a victim of her own success and the series has become a parody of the earlier videos.
That is not to say that as we hear more about life behind the scenes, that it is clear that all was not as it appeared. I couldn't ever understand the fervour of the superfans and it is apparent that there are some very desperate, middle aged ladies out there who are seeking to live their days vicariously through SJ, Te Trotters and their various hanger on.
The pleasure. that I initially had is disappearing though - and I find Nicky Storey (Positano Diaries) and other vloggers (not necessarily chateau owners) more satisfyiing. I am enjoying watching a hardworking young couple converting two shipping containers into a family home and another couple building a log cabin in the mountains of Utah. I've started to feel that the Tattlers are more interesting than the vlogs.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Concerning the heating freezing in this tit oo. (see #47 #57 #58)
Lalande is not a historical building, no protection on it = no restrictions using techniques or materials
Floors should have been isolated and are probably not. In the "China pantry" she speeks of membrane to keep moisture out, thats not a proper isolation for cold. Foam glass would do this, we used in our house (18th century and protected!)----> we don't need to wear our winter coats inside the house 😜.
In the grand salon she has floor heating and carpets but that is not compatible (only very thin carpets would).
She should have double glazing.
I believe they just don't mind the cold and are probably used already from the nursing home. I know people with working heating and they don't heat the house to save money but rather wear another layer. It is just not a priority. Anyway, it helps melting fat and maybe that's why they are so slim😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I like evidence not supposition and wonder if anyone has or can do an analyse of Patrons to see what portion are the type you are worried about. I suspect this will be too difficult to do so speculation will continue. I will reiterate that from my observation of the gift opening majority come from families or moreover from individuals or businesses who want the publicity for their enterprise.
As I am not a Superfan I don't watch the premiers or follow the comments on there or in any of the FB sites.
Nothing stopping you doing it I guess.

I initially was drawn to and life at the Lalande. I liked the idea of daily life, the renovations, sewing, cooking and initially the mix of characters. I never warmed to MPK however and as we were introduced the Trotters, my dislike of the whole bunch of them intensified. Sadly, I think SJ became a victim of her own success and the series has become a parody of the earlier videos.
That is not to say that as we hear more about life behind the scenes, that it is clear that all was not as it appeared. I couldn't ever understand the fervour of the superfans and it is apparent that there are some very desperate, middle aged ladies out there who are seeking to live their days vicariously through SJ, Te Trotters and their various hanger on.
The pleasure. that I initially had is disappearing though - and I find Nicky Storey (Positano Diaries) and other vloggers (not necessarily chateau owners) more satisfyiing. I am enjoying watching a hardworking young couple converting two shipping containers into a family home and another couple building a log cabin in the mountains of Utah. I've started to feel that the Tattlers are more interesting than the vlogs.
Paaaaarfectly put. I also needed a bit of escapism, but I started to lose it when the feeding frenzy of gift opening started. I thought it was sick in a time when people were having hard times because of a pandemic & they were living a fantasy life to most people anyway. I love Nicki Positano & have also watched the Chateau De Montmagner couple who are not remotely slick, but blimey they work hard. I agree that this forum is much more interesting that anything SJ can produce!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
You can book 10 days of a river cruise in Vietnam for 2000 if you book in advance. All inklusive in a decent hotel. That's not that lavish. And SJ is an experienced traveller. She seems to rather stay 2 nights in a better hotel than a week in a cheap one. Lavish would be if she is 5 weeks in a lux hotel.
Fair enough but where do the funds come to pay for any of this? And granted the couple of vacations that were filmed were all pre-
patreon money. And don’t forget she wasn’t paying her bills back in France (the stained glass that sat for 5-6 years with an unpaid tab of 2k€).

• Haha
Reactions: 5
My view would be that she got overwhelmed by it all in the past and it was easier to ignore things and do something else. Not the most ideal way to behave but we don't always do the right thing. I can recognise this as to a much lesser extent it is what I did with my hoarder husband . A catalyst is needed to get things going. In her case it was firstly ETTCDIY and then the pandemic. In our case it was covid and the thought of someone having to clear out our house if we were no longer here
She's not overwhelmed with anything. She's lazy af, hence the "volunteers". It took her 15 years to organize a laundry room, and she had Tomaz do it? Instead of going on this silly trips to the charity shop all of the time, she should concentrate on the major issues. She's got the money, she's 45 going on ten.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
You can book 10 days of a river cruise in Vietnam for 2000 if you book in advance. All inklusive in a decent hotel. That's not that lavish. And SJ is an experienced traveller. She seems to rather stay 2 nights in a better hotel than a week in a cheap one. Lavish would be if she is 5 weeks in a lux hotel.
Not sure most people would think it was OK for someone who's never done a proper job to take a free holiday from a family member who looking at his financials is not that well off & lives in a very modest place. Seriously, a 45 year old bums off a 60 year old guy. Even if it was a caravan holiday in Butlins it isn't right in my mind.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
PrincessandthePea Post 3563159
It's not for free here in Oz. We only have ETTC original series and that's being repeated ad nauseum. There are on our cable tv (Foxtel here) and that costs $$. Mine is $100 Aus a month (about 75 US$ 80 Eu and 50 UK Pound) One of the free to air channels has just started showing ETTC but again the earliest ones. We see none of the shows mentioned on this Forum and I've only found other stuff by stumbling around and finding links, so very time consuming and the comments don't make sense to me until I've seen the shows first. I've not seen a lot of the earlier CD so I don't know who a lot of the early people are and I can't stomach going back and having to listen to her anymore. I actually don't mind Michael Petherick (what one would call a "sweet kind boy" prior to 1965) and it would be nice to see him make a go of it with a nice guy as a partner but he needs to get out of the clutches of SJ and other influences in his life and grow some cahunes (?spelling)
FrannyBee 3565395
PS Just saw a promo on TV ETTC DIY starts in a couple of weeks, but that's not a repeat it's first time been on. That's probably why repeats of ETTC have been flogged the last couple of months.

Reactions: 6
On

One would consider with your number of degrees you state that you currently hold, you would easily be capable of doing the research for yourself, rather than attempting to gain investment from amateurs.
Mmn ... That comment was delivered with a rather a nasty tone . I’m sure @sandro37 will reply if she hadn’t already.

She's not overwhelmed with anything. She's lazy af, hence the "volunteers". It took her 15 years to organize a laundry room, and she had Tomaz do it? Instead of going on this silly trips to the charity shop all of the time, she should concentrate on the major issues. She's got the money, she's 45 going on ten.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. 👏👏

Couldn’t have said it better myself. 👏👏

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Who was the guy you spoke of who was on the news?
Purple Patchouli Post 3566235
I said at the beginning. I was on a committee - I was the only female with about 8 men and one was a misogynous obnoxious pig. The villian in Madame Butterfly was Lt. Pinkerton and so was the man on the Committee called Pinkerton. When you listen to the Opera and Butterfly sings his name (before he marries her and whilst she's in the throws of love) she pronounces his name with the syllables separated as Pin - ker -ton with a lilting accent. He was rat, never intended to marry her (it was a sham) left her pregnant, then comes back (he was a sailor) with his American wife and when he sees he has a son takes the son and leaves Butterfly alone to commit suicide by hari kiri with only her loyal maid to mourn her. So I used the committee man's name against him 'cos everyone knew once I pronounced it like Butterfly did, that I was calling him a lousy rat, 'cos all his dirty dealings were on the front page of our newspaper.

Hanni doesn’t seem to be in a good mood today...
Meouw

• Haha
Reactions: 5
One would consider with your number of degrees you state that you currently hold, you would easily be capable of doing the research for yourself, rather than attempting to gain investment from amateurs.
For someone who has been on this forum for five days, you have consistently displayed a singular lack of social awareness and the ability to read the tone in which you are perceived by your audience. I suspect this is an area of life you find challenging. Now who does that remind me of? :unsure:

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
For someone who has been on this forum for five days, you have consistently displayed a singular lack of social awareness and the ability to read the tone in which you are perceived by your audience. I suspect this is an area of life you find challenging. Now who does that remind me of? :unsure:
Someone with adult ADHD?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Very well put. I wish I could have this.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
S
Jeeves Post 356686
Me too - I didn't mind TCD at first although I never liked SJ or Mummeee right from the start - both so fake and I recognised SJ as a toxic manipulator with the "I'm beautiful, adore me, lay everything at my feet, type". I went back and looked at DIO today and one episode was MP going to lalaland for a couple of days. At first no one but SJ and him. He was cooking a lasagne from scratch and she was doing some work on a laptop and sitting quietly and talking whilst he cooked. Without all the accumulated goings on we now know, it was a nice pleasant episode of DIO (albeit 99% about lalaland and SJ). Then he wanted some herbs so they went out to garden. SJ spots Mummee clearing some branches with Dan and up goes SJ's squealing, the false concern for Mummeee (a few spots of rain), the drama queen, Then the postal delivery man arrives and she's out in the yard putting on her act (probably to get him to carry the parcels inside) Next it's all SJ with unpacking "gifts" Lots and lots of them and this was a while back before CATC grabfest was filmed. Then MP starts on about loving Spode and how he is hoping to save up to buy some and how he loves Spode and it's so expensive and he loves Spode. Lunch served. SJ MP Mummeee and Selmar (Selmar never got one word - just sat there) SJ did one baguette as garlic bread (looked like a stale one she had lying around) Mummeee starts chopping in to the Lasagne and serving it as if she made it. No green salad or anything else with it - no offer to Dan to come in and eat (he was just outside with Mummeee) - it was all for the cameras. But the last bit turned me off - MP back at his place with lots of Spode sent to him as "gifts" About 20 plates, jug, tureen with lid and he's putting it away safely whilst he starts twittering on about needing a teapot. Sorry but it was classic Traveller behaviour - don't call me rascist, 'cos you only have to look at the shows made about them. Always on the make with an eye out for any opportunity - another show the 2 part Aga Saga he showed a lot of knowledge about how Agas work, repair and maintenance etc. I reckon that's what he did in UK as a job/business. But the blatant "hints" made me gag. What's next - I love Rolex, I love cashmere sweaters, I love sports cars - he needs a rich sugar daddeeee.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Often comorbid with ADHD
ETA I know what ASD is
I wasn't suggesting that you don't which is why I didn't tag you in particular. As this is a general post rather than directed specifically to you, I was merely clarifying that I suggested the high functioning end of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
S
Jeeves Post 356686
Me too - I didn't mind TCD at first although I never liked SJ or Mummeee right from the start - both so fake and I recognised SJ as a toxic manipulator with the "I'm beautiful, adore me, lay everything at my feet, type". I went back and looked at DIO today and one episode was MP going to lalaland for a couple of days. At first no one but SJ and him. He was cooking a lasagne from scratch and she was doing some work on a laptop and sitting quietly and talking whilst he cooked. Without all the accumulated goings on we now know, it was a nice pleasant episode of DIO (albeit 99% about lalaland and SJ). Then he wanted some herbs so they went out to garden. SJ spots Mummee clearing some branches with Dan and up goes SJ's squealing, the false concern for Mummeee (a few spots of rain), the drama queen, Then the postal delivery man arrives and she's out in the yard putting on her act (probably to get him to carry the parcels inside) Next it's all SJ with unpacking "gifts" Lots and lots of them and this was a while back before CATC grabfest was filmed. Then MP starts on about loving Spode and how he is hoping to save up to buy some and how he loves Spode and it's so expensive and he loves Spode. Lunch served. SJ MP Mummeee and Selmar (Selmar never got one word - just sat there) SJ did one baguette as garlic bread (looked like a stale one she had lying around) Mummeee starts chopping in to the Lasagne and serving it as if she made it. No green salad or anything else with it - no offer to Dan to come in and eat (he was just outside with Mummeee) - it was all for the cameras. But the last bit turned me off - MP back at his place with lots of Spode sent to him as "gifts" About 20 plates, jug, tureen with lid and he's putting it away safely whilst he starts twittering on about needing a teapot. Sorry but it was classic Traveller behaviour - don't call me rascist, 'cos you only have to look at the shows made about them. Always on the make with an eye out for any opportunity - another show the 2 part Aga Saga he showed a lot of knowledge about how Agas work, repair and maintenance etc. I reckon that's what he did in UK as a job/business. But the blatant "hints" made me gag. What's next - I love Rolex, I love cashmere sweaters, I love sports cars - he needs a rich sugar daddeeee.
So what is SJ's excuse for shamelessly 'hinting' for presents? She's not a traveller is she?

I like evidence not supposition and wonder if anyone has or can do an analyse of Patrons to see what portion are the type you are worried about. I suspect this will be too difficult to do so speculation will continue. I will reiterate that from my observation of the gift opening majority come from families or moreover from individuals or businesses who want the publicity for their enterprise.
As I am not a Superfan I don't watch the premiers or follow the comments on there or in any of the FB sites.
I agree. I don't think you are a Superfan at all. Which room is yours at the chateau?

I believe they just don't mind the cold and are probably used already from the nursing home. I know people with working heating and they don't heat the house to save money but rather wear another layer. It is just not a priority. Anyway, it helps melting fat and maybe that's why they are so slim😂
Not sure what sort of nursing home would keep old people cold?

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I wasn't suggesting that you don't which is why I didn't to you, just a general quote to indicate the post I was addressing. As this is a general post rather than directed to you, I was merely clarifying that I suggested the high functioning end of the spectrum.
OK, sorry! Was being oversensitive... I have spent ten threads trying to hold back on this subject and I shouldn’t have buckled. None of this is black and white, in fact it’s really complex even for those who have it. Thank you for the Anna Netrebko tip by the way. She is incredible :)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I agree on a certain level that she is providing entertainment & there are always idiots who think they actually know a person on screen from watching a 20 min vlog once a week. But there are also lonely, vulnerable, poor people who being manipulated by a cleverly crafted backstory. They are empathetic to the fake persona & that is where it starts to go wrong IMO. People who may not be able to afford much are subscribing to her thinking they are helping her out. That they are being part of a little bit of history by helping to preserve the chateau. It is at the very least manipulation & at worst a nasty marketing model. This is bad enough, but her behaviour to those who she knows in real life is as manipulative as that which she uses to get her superfans on board. And that to me, is unforgivable.
Could not have said it better!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Actually, if this is not to extreme to say, I find there a similarities between G. and D. (especially when you saw that pic, where D. is painting the sign).... If you know whereI am heading 🙄🙄
Haven't seen that pic...give us a clue where to find it!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.