The Chateau Diaries #105 The grift that keeps on giving

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Blimey, Curtis says he's a filmmaker but that is one mess of an edit with atrocious sound quality.
I can't make him out at all.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
What I did not understand from the sewing workshop proposition, was it byo sewing machine? fabric?,supplies?
That's a good question. If you were coming from the states or Canada to attend, unless your machine was dual-voltage, you would need a transformer in order for your machine to run. Even still, I would not lug my Bernina on a plane with me. I don't think they've fully fleshed out their ideas yet. If all of the machines were 220/240 VAC, no problem. If you're running transformers, you're wiring better be good or else you'll be blowing fuses.

Reactions: 10
If by some miracle you've never been utterly disgusted by BJJ before... here is your chance!

Anyone know what the bit at 14:50 is about?
Steve says healthier than last year, and Fanny is says a little bit she's feeling lighter because she was expecting it?

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
The only fabric with naturally occurring slubs that I would consider for a cocktail dress is dupioni silk. Perhaps if the linen was a blend, like with viscose/rayon for a better drape, but on it's own it is too utilitarian a fabric imo for evening attire.
Dupioni silk is nice, I like how it is matte, has texture with a slight sheen. I wonder if a tight thicker weave linen/silk would have worked. Hard to find in the middle of nowhere and fabric really needs to be shopped in person rather than online.

I remember my first year in UNI where we were supposed to work in pairs and make a 2pc outfit with 100% cotton or linen. Another team used a silk that looked like loose weave linen (or Silk linen blend) to make a Chanel inspired jacket and they were boasting about it. I'm surprised that they did not get caught or called out.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
What I did not understand from the sewing workshop proposition, was it byo sewing machine? fabric?,supplies?
She has had a bad habit of talking about her plan without actually having a plan. She is enthusiastic but doesn't or didn't have a plan NOR does she have real sewing skills to SELL to others 🤦‍♀️. You need a whole setup to do any sort of workshop like that . She has a similar planning style as SJ, shout it out and it will happen.

There is a ETTC DIY woman that puts on ( or used to ) sewing workshops. I completely forget which chateau or her name, but I remember the room being bright and airy. She at least looked like she had sewing experience.

Reactions: 9
What happened to Shrek and Sara towards the end of the film? They were standing around awkwardly in the kitchen, all dressed up, whilst the cooking was going on, but they didn't seem to be at the meal table.

Reactions: 4
what a weird vlog from curtis morningwood....the akwardness of them all...toward eachother..and that ragu..i didnt see him seasoning that stuff..The apron...yes thats a slapp in the face if your receive that as a gift...from 2 gay people who would clearly want to put their hands in Snort his pants...yuk...too obvious...i recognise that sort..Manor and maker...well they for sure didnt feel welcome..Snort just stood there..he clearly needed a drink..and didnt lift one finger..it just felt to me like a bunch of people who are at a very boring reception..and try to make something of it..clearly it didnt work..i suspect that happens a lott at that dinnertable..

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Back when she and Shrek were touting the history bound costume sewing workshop at a chateau in an unspecified location, one of the more startling features (aside from no fixed address and €2300 price tag) was that the sewists isolated in the countryside, alone with Steve in his Hugh Hefner bathrobe and trembling Sarah, would have no instructor. They tried to bill it as liberating to teach yourself and your fellow morons. Now to know she doesn't know the bottom of a sewing pattern from the top (DUDE PANTS HAVE LEGS <---------get a clue!) is the cherry on the sundae of the old grift. And actually suggests cognitive distortion of a clinical nature. Holy crap.
Enthusiastic and clueless. Seems to be a trend with people associated with Lalande .

Are Pethericks doing bed and breakfast in their chateau or some events? I didn't notice they are using the property for business
Something like that. Billy said in his vlog that they would use the chateau for rental and they would move into the guesthouse. They don't do weddings anymore .

• Heart
Reactions: 8
She DID do a mockup ( it's in the video from 3:07 onward ) in white or pale blue fabric, lighter weight than actual muslin fabric before she attempted to cut out and sew the "linen" fabric.
The video from the costume department where the pattern came from, said that one of the dresses ( the blue one ) they showed made was from Faille fabric, so perhaps the red original one was as well.
Perhaps she's not a confident seamstress as the muslin/mock up is meant for making adjustments where necessary. The neckline and arms on her finished dress need altering. It's certainly not a bad try for a novice sewer, but fitting is part of why you make your own clothes.

Dupioni silk is nice, I like how it is matte, has texture with a slight sheen. I wonder if a tight thicker weave linen/silk would have worked. Hard to find in the middle of nowhere and fabric really needs to be shopped in person rather than online.

I remember my first year in UNI where we were supposed to work in pairs and make a 2pc outfit with 100% cotton or linen. Another team used a silk that looked like loose weave linen (or Silk linen blend) to make a Chanel inspired jacket and they were boasting about it. I'm surprised that they did not get caught or called out.
I haven't bought fabric in person since 1998 in Amsterdam...it was a hemp twill. ;) I'm a fabric hoarder from way back, but if I need anything, I shop online--generally for vintage fabrics or undyed fabric that I color/paint/dye/print myself. Usually fabric houses online will send you samples for a nominal fee if you have any doubt about the hand, weight or drape.

The team that used what sounds like a silk linen blend should have been called out, especially since they were boasting about it. What jerks!

Reactions: 9
Hi, I'm a longtime lurker, but didn't post yet. One day I will tell you why I was so fed up with SJ that I came here.
But for now I just wanted to show you this You Tube video that came up in my recommendations on YT from an ex-patreon ranting about SJ. It's inbetween the other ranting. She had just gotten a Thank You card by SJ though she had cancelled her patreon membership months ago.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 56
Perhaps she's not a confident seamstress as the muslin/mock up is meant for making adjustments where necessary. The neckline and arms on her finished dress need altering. It's certainly not a bad try for a novice sewer, but fitting is part of why you make your own clothes.

I haven't bought fabric in person since 1998 in Amsterdam...it was a hemp twill. ;) I'm a fabric hoarder from way back, but if I need anything, I shop online--generally for vintage fabrics or undyed fabric that I color myself. Usually fabric houses online will send you samples for a nominal fee if you have any doubt about the hand, weight or drape.

The team that used what sounds like a silk linen blend should have been called out, especially since they were boasting about it. What jerks!
She definitely needs to fix her "finished" dress, and the pattern was beyond her skill level and she kinda understood this but not enough realize that it , she is in the stages of being so excited she made something and wants to wear it, oblivious that it's not up to snuff.
She could do with lessons to learn more and understand what/when/where/why of construction and a proper Judy in her size or one padded up to her measurements.

Do you not miss buying fabric ( especially as a fabric hoarder , lol I know that well 😁 ) in person, seeing it all, touching it all, feeling the texture and weight and hand of it from a bolt? Maybe I am much too impatient to wait for fabric samples to arrive , I just love fabric and notions shopping , but also have not gone in ages. The best stores used to be in downtown Toronto and I have not gone in years.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thanks for the rant video, @Elba2008. Pretty weird! Thought it was Brenda's long lost English sister to begin with.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Hi, I'm a longtime lurker, but didn't post yet. One day I will tell you why I was so fed up with SJ that I came here.
But for now I just wanted to show you this You Tube video that came up in my recommendations on YT from an ex-patreon ranting about SJ. It's inbetween the other ranting. She had just gotten a Thank You card by SJ though she had cancelled her patreon membership months ago.

Thank you for sharing this @Elba2008. I agree that isn't Stephanie's signature. It looks like I would imagine BJJs handwriting. Congrats on your first Tattle post.

Edit: I glanced through some of the comments and there are lots of defenders and some hurling accusations at her for using Stephanie's name to garner success for her channel.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
What happened to Shrek and Sara towards the end of the film? They were standing around awkwardly in the kitchen, all dressed up, whilst the cooking was going on, but they didn't seem to be at the meal table.
When it was being made Phillpo said it was for the next day. Those type of dishes taste better the next day. Steve and Sarah were only there for a party not even sure if they stayed the night. By the time the Ragu was served the next night they had already gone home.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.