Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

youtubewatcher303

What do you guys think about Russell Brand turning all life coach? 😂
Cringey or likeable? His new videos seem pretty thought provoking. Of course he's still a little odd, that's just him. I'm glad he got past his addiction issues and is married with a kid etc.

So I wouldn't say this is the best advice I've ever received but I watched this the other day and the way he worded it helped a lot! To paraphrase: "don't be so low in your opinion of yourself that if someone treats you negatively, you think "I'm an a**hole!" Instead, think "this person lives in their own universe looking at reality through the lense of their consciousness". He also said think of it as "the outside world is none of my business, it's not my job to make this person as I would have them be, it's not my job to commodify the world and its populous into stuff I happen to like." Hm! I already knew that if someone mistreats you, it's more to do with their internal struggle than anything you've done, but the way he words it is so thought provoking.

From another video of his: "the way to deal with peoples opinions of you is to let go of trying to control them otherwise you'll morph yourself into some horrible hybrid of what you think other people think you should be and you will lose your connection to the truth of who you are". Already knew this as well, thought it was really well said.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1

Horatio

VIP Member
"No." Is a complete sentence. You don't actually have to justify your decisions to anyone.
I like this. It’s something I could definitely improve on. If I even feel the slightest unsure about a situation the waffle just comes out - usually met with blank expressions too! Haha.
I think (in general) over apologising is something women do far more too.

Orange Creme

VIP Member
Can I control this? To any situation that leaves me stressed out. Nob pulled out in front of me, can I control it? No. Flip him the bird and carry on with my day. Kids being bullied. Can I control it? To an extent, stay composed and factual.
Has worked to say I used to be 0-100 and very emotional!
This is good because I'm like that (0-100) at a particular time of the month. It's like a red mist descends upon me and my parents used to joke that I'm a diva but it wasnt funny for me.

Homesweethomesweethome

I have just read up on pmdd from seeing this post and honestly feel like that could be me. My moods are horrendous in the weeks leading up to my time of the month. They were nowhere near this bad before my second child.
firstly I hope you’re ok, it would be really useful for you to track your moods and your cycles with an app like clue, get a few months worth and if you feel further help is needed ask your gp for a referral to gynaecology. If I can help drop me a dm x

Horatio

VIP Member
Say yes to your kids rather than no. As in kid says "can I watch TV/Youtube? etc" rather than saying "no you've got homework to do", say "yes you can as soon as you've done your homework". Obviously doesn't work in every situation but it does work most of the time.
That’s interesting, I like it. Reminds me of another piece of parenting advice I heard, to not give your kids empty praise to avoid them growing up spoiled or entitled but still making them feel loved and supported. So if they get an A on a test don’t say “you’re so clever” say “see how clever you are to have studied hard for that.” It makes sense.

Homesweethomesweethome

This is good because I'm like that (0-100) at a particular time of the month. It's like a red mist descends upon me and my parents used to joke that I'm a diva but it wasnt funny for me.
have you heard of pmdd @ebayseller ? I had a hysterectomy this year as my temper/ mood swings after my last child were horrific. Diagnosed with pmdd a year after she was born. If you find it hard to deal with there are some fantastic support groups.

wishing you all the best xx

VanillaIce

That if you’re feeling worried to decide if there is anything you can do and if not to let go of the worry and think of something positive.

PoleStar

Chatty Member
When I was in my early 20s I'd always agonise over ever having a negative thought about a situation or another person, believing I must be the only one who felt that way - until an old colleague pointed out that "chances are if you're thinking it then others will be too". This advice really boosted my confidence in my own beliefs and helped me stop doubting my judgement so much.

The other best piece of advice I received was from my dad who told me to always remember that there's such thing as a free lunch.

Horatio

VIP Member
Got told that multiple times after my son died. Hate it so much. And “he’s in a better place now.”

Fuckkk that shit.
Ah man that makes me angry to even hear people could say that meaningless crap after a thing that awful. I know my words aren't much better but I'm really sorry to hear you experienced something so tragic - we may be strangers on the Internet but it's always going to be sad to hear things like that so I hope you know it's as genuine as I can be in the circumstances. But I really think telling you it happened for a reason is out of order. I would be so angry if someone told me that about people close to me who have died young. The audacity of it.

Tilly

VIP Member
🤔 never been given any advice,the advice I’d give to people that know me would be if I’ve done it or doing it you do the opposite the your life will be great 🙄🙄

Homesweethomesweethome

Can I control this? To any situation that leaves me stressed out. Nob pulled out in front of me, can I control it? No. Flip him the bird and carry on with my day. Kids being bullied. Can I control it? To an extent, stay composed and factual.
Has worked to say I used to be 0-100 and very emotional!

Karlywert

George Clooney/Three Kings of all things heard it once and it is so true.
The way it works is, you do the thing you're scared shitless of, and you get the courage AFTER you do it, not before you do it.:love:
And as someone above said, if something is worth doing it is worth doing right.
Quality over quantity (it's a work thing):)