The BBC

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We should always be allowed to choose what we pay for, I wouldn't be paying for netflix if I didn't watch it, so that should have been the same with the license, if I wanted to watch none bbc stuff on sky then I shouldn't have to pay the BBC anything but it never worked like that cause of the greed of the BBC

What gets me is my mate in America can watch BBC content completly free of charge but yet anyone in Britain would be fined for that

I can honestly see it going before it hits 2027, does any of the younger generation even watch BBC? Most of my cousins kids have grown up with streaming sites, even my neice I'll sit her down to YouTube, I'd much rather her watch little alphabet songs an number songs on that than let her watch the abomination that is peppa pig

• Heart
Reactions: 4
The BBC isn't ONE Channel. It is:
9 National TV channels
6 Regional TV Channels
12 Local TV Channels
13 International TV Channels
11 National radio stations
Approx 40 regional radio stations
Plus the online provision
My response is should it really be doing so much? It's good value for what it does (I'm guessing the revenue-generating commercial arm must be well run?).

I'm for state broadcasting - covering what the commercial sector won't and have high quality output. But it seems to try to compete in many instances and so much of their journalism seems at the same (low) level as the commercial sector.

• Heart
Apart from high levels of Jewish people who don’t trust the BBC anymore after they ran that story about the Jewish people on the bus and refused to apologise or change their story - even when it was found to be false. That was in the last few weeks.
But the BBC also pays some of its top ‘talent’ a disgusting amount of money to do the bare minimum, has culture of gender pay gaps, sexism, it helped cover up Saville, had a history of executive payoffs. The comparison to the NHS is apt though because that is also an origination that has become a money pit.
If it doesn’t go I think it needs to be restructured.
I agree with the points you made; there’s still a lot it can do better for sure.

My response is should it really be doing so much? It's good value for what it does (I'm guessing the revenue-generating commercial arm must be well run?).

I'm for state broadcasting - covering what the commercial sector won't and have high quality output. But it seems to try to compete in many instances and so much of their journalism seems at the same (low) level as the commercial sector.
i think this too. I like some of the stuff on BBC4 but it can easily find a home on BBC2. I’m sure they’re already thinking this themselves and it’ll all be part of the ongoing negotiations with government.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Is there much need for a BBC Parliament channel? Who is watching it enough for it to be a separate channel? And BBC 2 and 1 are so similar now surely they could merge those and keep BBC 4 or merge BBC 4 with BBC 2 as it’s only on 9 hours a day?

Reactions: 3
From 10 years ago in 2012, but surely there could be big cuts to online and local radio?

BBC one and two are around half of their budget, yet there's never anything on that I'd want to watch. Maybe they could make less content after merging channels? It's full of mediocre stuff.

When digital came in it seems like they decided that they must expand to fill it.

BBC-spending-graphic-009.jpg

Reactions: 5
We should always be allowed to choose what we pay for, I wouldn't be paying for netflix if I didn't watch it, so that should have been the same with the license, if I wanted to watch none bbc stuff on sky then I shouldn't have to pay the BBC anything but it never worked like that cause of the greed of the BBC

What gets me is my mate in America can watch BBC content completly free of charge but yet anyone in Britain would be fined for that

I can honestly see it going before it hits 2027, does any of the younger generation even watch BBC? Most of my cousins kids have grown up with streaming sites, even my neice I'll sit her down to YouTube, I'd much rather her watch little alphabet songs an number songs on that than let her watch the abomination that is peppa pig
What is wrong with Peppa Pig? Your prime minister seems to love it? 🐷

You might not agree with its news output, or question whether it’s truly impartial, or you might not watch or listen to any of its output but that’s your choice. You don’t have to pay the licence fee.
But if you want to watch all the other channels or get virgin or sky TV you have to have a licence fee because your TV is picking up the BBC. Whether you watch it or not you have to pay. I would happily turn it off and save the 12 quid if I could. But I want live TV. I only watch cbbies and EastEnders on it. It's not worth 12 to me.

I don't wanna nit pick but, Peppa pig is on channel 5, Netflix and prime. BBC pre school programs are actually pretty good and mostly quite educational.

I bleeping hate bing though, bing can't get eaten by a fox.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1
Fantastic news!

As a 32 year old, the BBC produces nothing that interests me. Think the last good thing they showed was Gavin and Stacy and that was 15 years ago!

It's a sickening hierachy that pays the likes of Zoe ball and Gary Lineker 1 million+! No one is worth that money!

Occasionally listen to radio one, but getting fed up with their super woke news beat and depressing songs 😳

Reactions: 5
I don't wanna nit pick but, Peppa pig is on channel 5, Netflix and prime. BBC pre school programs are actually pretty good and mostly quite educational.

I bleeping hate bing though, bing can't get eaten by a fox.
Whatever channel its on that shite it banned in the house either way 😂

I've honestly found so much for her on YouTube, there's fun cartoons that sing the alphabet an catchy songs to learn numbers, even some cool videos that teach time, animals an such, she's only 1 so it's all colourful cartoons to her but hopefully soon she picks up on it

They lost me when they scrapped BBC3 and started ruining BBC4. When you look at the BBC3 content on iplayer now it has gone very niche. BBC4 is just endless repeats these days. They used to have a really good Friday music night which is long gone now.

I'm not against the BBC's existence, I'm simply against people being harassed (yes, I will use that word because that's what the letters are phrased to do) in order to pay for their talent like Zoe Ball & Gary Lineker to earn millions and for all of the money wasted on middle management. I was particularly annoyed in Ball's case where she lost around a million listeners and got a huge salary increase. You can't justify that. Nor can you justify making someone pay the BBC to watch ITV. By the same logic, why don't we have to pay Tesco a shopping fee if we prefer going to Sainsbury's?

It's not the end of the BBC, they just need to find another way to fund it. I only watch the BBC for a quarter of the year anyway for Strictly and TBH, I wouldn't mind if it had adverts, the show can drag on a bit without any break.

The BBC can fund itself with adverts. Too many celebrities on high wages, too many channels and radio stations, too many pointless daytime shows and not enough relevant content.

I hardly watch the BBC anymore, I gave up on Radio 4 when they got Brexit obsessed. I watch Netflix, Disney plus and Amazon prime than the BBC, ITV or any terrestrial stations

Scathing but true. The way he was treated with Radio 2 was horrible as well and he seems much happier on Greatest Hits Radio. They are losing so much talent with Dan Walker leaving in two weeks time for Channel 5 and others already gone like Andrew Marr who has his new radio programme. I suppose on the plus side BBC can lower their wage bill on talent by bringing in fresh new faces on much smaller salaries.

Scathing but true. The way he was treated with Radio 2 was horrible as well and he seems much happier on Greatest Hits Radio. They are losing so much talent with Dan Walker leaving in two weeks time for Channel 5 and others already gone like Andrew Marr who has his new radio programme. I suppose on the plus side BBC can lower their wage bill on talent by bringing in fresh new faces on much smaller salaries.
Talent and Dan Walker shouldn’t be in the same sentence 😉

I don’t know if this is a cause or related but didn’t BBC move a lot of it’s production, including the news, up to Manchester? Could it be that those who were based in London previously didn’t want to move?

I don’t really like ITV, it’s full of trash shows and detective stuff. However even I can find something to watch on there and nothing for me on the BBC. What on earth are the beeb going to do when Attenborough retires, as he is the main draw for their big wildlife shows.

Agree hugely @WritersBlock. The BBC is not perfect, but pretty amazing...

The BBC isn't ONE Channel. It is:
9 National TV channels
6 Regional TV Channels
12 Local TV Channels
13 International TV Channels
11 National radio stations
Approx 40 regional radio stations
Plus the online provision

The BBC have nurtured and launched a supreme amount of talent in music, comedy, writing, journalism, acting, plus behind-the-scenes roles. The international reputation of the BBC is a massive credit to us as a nation. But one most of us do not realise, as we do not see or experience it. To attack the BBC in this fashion will only hurt the population of this country.

This current government do not like the way the BBC report current political events. And the only way they can stop it is to get rid of it.

It is a disgrace.
this goes to show the BBC has become too big and bloated.

it needs to cater to the core audience who pay for the fee, slim down on those pointless channels

I don’t really like ITV, it’s full of trash shows and detective stuff. However even I can find something to watch on there and nothing for me on the BBC. What on earth are the beeb going to do when Attenborough retires, as he is the main draw for their big wildlife shows.

it needs to cater to the core audience who pay for the fee, slim down on those pointless channels
I’m a fan of Attenbourgh but were all his older wildlife shows depressing?

Who decides which service is pointless? What someone likes someone else might not. The license fee is about appealing to as many different people as possible. They will be fine when Attenborough retires. He only narrates the script he's given to read. All the real stars of his shows that we don't get to see like the camera people who risk themselves to go deep under water or up close to dangerous animals will still be working for BBC.

Reactions: 2