Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Peaches_xox

VIP Member
I think it’s outdated. It’s so rare that we watch normal tv in our house. We usually watch Netflix or catch up services and it’s so rare that it’s the bbc but you have to pay the tv licence! It’s a ridiculous amount of money to pay for one channel that you barley even watch!

Reactions: 13

thegirlscout

VIP Member
It is trusted worldwide
Apart from high levels of Jewish people who don’t trust the BBC anymore after they ran that story about the Jewish people on the bus and refused to apologise or change their story - even when it was found to be false. That was in the last few weeks.
But the BBC also pays some of its top ‘talent’ a disgusting amount of money to do the bare minimum, has culture of gender pay gaps, sexism, it helped cover up Saville, had a history of executive payoffs. The comparison to the NHS is apt though because that is also an origination that has become a money pit.
If it doesn’t go I think it needs to be restructured.

Reactions: 12

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
I'd rather pay a licence fee than put up with repetitive adverts like with ITV. Jennifer Saunders once said that she prefers writing for the BBC as she can do more with the sketches and really articulate them as you get the full hour. Where as with ITV , they have to cut it up for adverts.

Reactions: 8
Agree hugely @WritersBlock. The BBC is not perfect, but pretty amazing...

The BBC isn't ONE Channel. It is:
9 National TV channels
6 Regional TV Channels
12 Local TV Channels
13 International TV Channels
11 National radio stations
Approx 40 regional radio stations
Plus the online provision

The BBC have nurtured and launched a supreme amount of talent in music, comedy, writing, journalism, acting, plus behind-the-scenes roles. The international reputation of the BBC is a massive credit to us as a nation. But one most of us do not realise, as we do not see or experience it. To attack the BBC in this fashion will only hurt the population of this country.

This current government do not like the way the BBC report current political events. And the only way they can stop it is to get rid of it.

It is a disgrace.

Reactions: 7

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
Scheduled programming? 😂 😂 god no.
Rip off merchants. Haven't watched telly in years it's shite. can't wait til the beeb are bankrupt 👋👋👋

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
The BBC is run at the top by a bunch of Tories, they have totally given up on the concept of independence and impartiality.

So while the Tories are trying to run the BBC into the ground financially and operationally, they are still willing at the same time to force the BBC into become deeply partisan and become a government propaganda machine at the same time.

And all the right wing people who tout free speech, will also all be the people telling Gary Lineker to shut up and say how he shouldn't have political opinions etc. Because all of a sudden someone is saying something the right wing folk don't like, they suddenly don't want freedom of speech. They just want freedom of speech for their own hate.and rhetoric.

The BBC does have guidelines for its presenters, I accept, but a football broadcaster having a political opinion isn't a problem. A BBC news reporter is who should be independent. Nobody believe the opinion of Gary Lineker is the opinion of the BBC.

Tory honchos forcing the BBC into a place it doesn't want to be right now. All because the BBC is trying to preserve its very existence.

• Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
In the last 24 hours
Fiona Bruce saying Stanley Johnson hitting his wife was a one off on question time.
Gary stepping back from motd
Attenborough documentary allegedly (according to the guardian) iplayer only to not offend people on the right.

Add to that all the mess of BBC radio 😬, what a state that organisation is.

GladiatorReady

VIP Member
Good riddance.

There is zero reason nowadays that anyone should have to pay the BBC money to watch ITV, or should have to pay the BBC money to watch Channel 4 and so on.

Reactions: 6

Jane Tee

VIP Member
It was the salaries they pay people like Zoe Ball and Claudia winkleman that made me cancel my licence.
Much too generous with other people's money so i removed myself.

Reactions: 6

Snippysnips

VIP Member
It's honestly outdated, I've never paid the thing, I get my TV from streaming sites, with a vpn it's amazing what I can get at just a click of a button, can get anything from all over the world, I wouldn't watch the trash the BBC pumped out if I was paid to, nothing but fixed reality shows that people waste money to vote on which counts to nothing to soaps that have 4 writers that write the same thing over an over again to god awful quiz shows with annoying hosts an forced laughs at "jokes"

when I was a kid we would fight over what channel to watch an what channel to record cause Saturday nights were so good, now it's a fight over what streaming site we want cause there's so much on there

If the license does go then maybe it will show the BBC just how many people especially the younger generation have given up, they money they pay some of these people is disgusting, if they would put that money into shows then maybe we would have some quality back but they would rather give out rubbish an overpay these clowns, if it weren't for needing a license for sky or cable they would have went bust years ago, cause right now those two are the only things that saved them, if you no longer need a license for sky an cable then I can see the BBC lasting no more than 5 years an that's being generous

Reactions: 5

Yel

Chatty Member
From 10 years ago in 2012, but surely there could be big cuts to online and local radio?

BBC one and two are around half of their budget, yet there's never anything on that I'd want to watch. Maybe they could make less content after merging channels? It's full of mediocre stuff.

When digital came in it seems like they decided that they must expand to fill it.

BBC-spending-graphic-009.jpg

WritersBlock

Disagree strongly with proposals to scrap it altogether but do believe the BBC can look at the cessation of programmes/channels and streamline their internal processes including structures.

generally people are missing the point of the BBC. It is trusted worldwide, has high levels of trust among the British public (second only to the NHS) and provides hours of news, entertainment, drama, documentaries, information across web, television and radio. OK, so we might not agree with certain elements but everyone pays the same price no matter how rich or poor and has access to the same services.

Without the BBC, you would not know so much about our planet or the world at large. We would not see creativity in the same way. Things like Doctor Who, Peaky Blinders, Eastenders, The Office, Absolutely Fabulous, Spooks, Line of Duty, Blue Planet, Frozen Planet, Life on Earth, Countryfile, The Royle Family, Only Fools and Horses, Top of the Pops, Blackadder, Alan Partridge, I May Destroy You, Talking Heads, Radios 1, 2, 3, 4 (etcetera), and BBC World Service.

Nor would we have the acres of forums on here as a result of the programmes they produce.

You might not agree with its news output, or question whether it’s truly impartial, or you might not watch or listen to any of its output but that’s your choice. You don’t have to pay the licence fee.

But bear in mind other delivery models could mean another tax on working adults. A subscription service model like Netflix is not the only option. So be careful what you wish for.

But give me the BBC over the Tory-supporting Murdoch/Rothermere/Barclay media empires any day.

LittleMissOnions

VIP Member
Just had to laugh, the trailer for comic relief has just come on ‘recently somethings have gone missing at the BBC’….like your football commentary team 😂

• Haha

Sunflower91

VIP Member
When I did media studies at college I remember the teacher basically saying how good it is to have a tv license and you get so much out of it that at the time i was sold on it. But then when I moved out to go to London it just felt like an unnecessary expense because I had bills out of my ears and Netflix- i didn’t even own a tv, just an iPad and a gaming monitor. Even now where I’m more comfortably living I don’t see the worth in it because everything I went to watch is on streaming sites.

NeverEnough

VIP Member
In my opinion the reason impartiality is such a red line for the BBC is because of it’s funding model. Let’s face it the licence fee is a tax. Call it what you want but it is backed up by an enforcement apparatus and if you refuse to pay a criminal prosecution is a potential outcome. It certainly sounds like a tax. I know of no such dire consequences for for cancelling a Sky Subscription. And when you are funded by a tax it is essential that all views arevcovered fairly. And at any given time, or any given election, it will show roughly 30-40% Tory 30-40% Labour. There are people who support the legislation. The problem in my view is not that Lineker opposed the legislation, that it his right, but more the language he chose to do it in. To compare it to Nazi Germany is clearly ridiculous. No one has any idea how this legislation will turn out, and all indications are there will be a change of government at the next election. If Labour want to repeal it they can. The question is will they want to?

It’s not like Lineker’s views aren’t well known. He is a man of complex contradiction. The mental gymnastics he and Alex Scott carried out to justify their presence in Qatar despite their LGBTQ allyship were truly impressive. And he is a committed environmentalist who drew a (very large) pay check from Nagoya Grampus 8 towards the end of his playing career. A club owned entirely by Toyota, one of the worlds largest manufacturers of environmentally destructive fossil fuel burning cars. Also apparently a white man who was racially abused during his playing days. What was perhaps more surprising was Shearer, who if he is now a champion of the oppressed you would think would have been more vocal about the current Saudi regime who run his beloved Newcastle United, instead of mumbling something about “not knowing enough” and appearing in the directors box during their recently Wembley sojourn. But as I say, complex.

My company had a stated social media policy if I was to violate it I would expect to face disciplinary action. Surely that must also apply In this case?

NowIsGood

Chatty Member
Fantastic news!

As a 32 year old, the BBC produces nothing that interests me. Think the last good thing they showed was Gavin and Stacy and that was 15 years ago!

It's a sickening hierachy that pays the likes of Zoe ball and Gary Lineker 1 million+! No one is worth that money!

Occasionally listen to radio one, but getting fed up with their super woke news beat and depressing songs 😳