The BBC

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Looks like they're going to need to cut a fair bit, if as reported they've been cutting for a fair long time there must not be much low hanging fruit left.

I did cancel my license years ago (they could have saved a fair bit not sending the dozens of threatening we're coming for you letters) because I didn't use the service and it quality has gone downhill. Programmes like panorama used to be excellent; now it's so watered down, littered with silly shots like slow motion and sliced up in that common way to show half of something then leave the viewer hanging so they keep on watching. Dire.

If you've seen any of the documentaries that feature tattle and are a regular here it's absolutely laughable that they claim to be independent, impartial and honest as their foundation. Absolutely biased to please those in media circles.

Trust is the foundation of the BBC. We’re independent, impartial and honest

I like the idea of a state funded broadcaster but the current state of the BBC makes it unfit for purpose imo.

Id ditch BBC four, return some of the more interesting things to BBC two. Also ditch BBC news and let the commercial sector do such an expensive operation. Lots of the online stuff cannibalises the commercial sector and is unnecessary.

The last good thing I've watched from the BBC was the bodyguard, but that was available on Netflix.

The BBC for so long has been able to go in and quash any competition. I forget who but there's and lbc presenter that used to work on BBC local radio and their boss said "if at least one person is listening then that's good" 😳

Anyway I'll end my messy ramblings 😆

---
'The days of state-run TV are over': Nadine Dorries clobbers the BBC with £2billion funding cut as she freezes the licence fee for two years, with a row over 'Left-wing bias' threatening to spill out into all-out war with the Corporation

• Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries freezes annual £159 fee for the next two years
  • Anticipated inflation rises mean BBC will need to find savings of circa £2billion
  • Tories continue to accuse state broadcaster of showing 'left-wing bias' in row
  • Ms Dorries' allies have warned the Corporation the 'days of state run TV are over' with plans for the licence fee to be replaced by a new funding model
The BBC was last night on the brink of a war with the Government after Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries hit the Corporation with a two-year licence fee freeze – as her allies warned that ‘the days of state-run television are over’.

Tense negotiations between the Government and the BBC over the cost of the annual fee until the end of 2027 have concluded, with Ms Dorries deciding to hold the licence at £159 for the next two years.

Officials calculate that – due to inflation currently running at 5.1 per cent – the Corporation will have to find savings of more than £2 billion over the next six years.

However, Ms Dorries is also considering pegging future fee increases below inflation between 2024 and the end of the current Royal Charter on December 31, 2027 – meaning the savings the BBC must make could end up being even higher.

At that point, if the Conservatives are still in power, the licence fee is likely to be replaced by a new funding model which reflects the growing domination of subscription services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime.

The move comes after a series of rows with Ministers over the Corporation’s alleged Left-wing bias.

Reactions: 2
I don't understand the licence fee. I thought everyone with a TV or radio had to pay for it. But more and more people are saying they dont pay it.

I do actually watch the BBC but if I could opt out I would. Id rather it just had ads and was free.

They should drop the licence fee, have a basic impartial news channel that's paid for through tax. The rest can just become a normal channel that's paid for through ads.

It should have been closed down after the whole Jimmy savile thing, they're a corrupt organisation.

Reactions: 1
I thought everyone with a TV or radio had to pay for it
It's nothing to do with the radio, but anyone that watches live or near live TV or uses the iPlayer needs one. If you just watch Netflix and TV isn't tuned then no need.

There's some grey areas as does watching live sport on Amazon prime video count as live TV?

Other countries have made it so anyone with an internet connection needs to pay it, Germany I believe.

Reactions: 2
I finally cancelled the license last year. I hardly ever watched anything on the BBC apart from Eurovision.

The straw that broke the camel’s back was the Martin Bashir fiasco and the millions that will have to be paid out in damages. Well not from me it won’t.

Bullshit, good for people who can’t afford it but my god she doesn’t know what she’s doing at all! How will the make the money? The licence fee is the point!

I'd rather pay a licence fee than put up with repetitive adverts like with ITV. Jennifer Saunders once said that she prefers writing for the BBC as she can do more with the sketches and really articulate them as you get the full hour. Where as with ITV , they have to cut it up for adverts.

Reactions: 8
I think it’s outdated. It’s so rare that we watch normal tv in our house. We usually watch Netflix or catch up services and it’s so rare that it’s the bbc but you have to pay the tv licence! It’s a ridiculous amount of money to pay for one channel that you barley even watch!

Reactions: 13
Scheduled programming? 😂 😂 god no.
Rip off merchants. Haven't watched telly in years it's shite. can't wait til the beeb are bankrupt 👋👋👋

Reactions: 7
the expenses gravy train is disgraceful. No consideration for cost of travel, taxi’s, do’s, off site meeting, catering etc.

the expenses gravy train is disgraceful. No consideration for cost of travel, taxi’s, do’s, off site meeting, catering etc.
That's the thing, they keep saying they need more money, but the pay the staf £££££ they travel all over the shop unecessary they make loads of dramas that are pretty tit and the amount they pay people for strictly.

The BBC should be about finding new talent and giving new shows a chance. Anything or anyone popular can then go on to another channel.
So they launch a new TV show with low budget and up and coming actors or presenters on a low wage. If people like it, they well the format on to another channel. Might help someone other than the kids of other TV people getting on the TV.

Reactions: 3
Disagree strongly with proposals to scrap it altogether but do believe the BBC can look at the cessation of programmes/channels and streamline their internal processes including structures.

generally people are missing the point of the BBC. It is trusted worldwide, has high levels of trust among the British public (second only to the NHS) and provides hours of news, entertainment, drama, documentaries, information across web, television and radio. OK, so we might not agree with certain elements but everyone pays the same price no matter how rich or poor and has access to the same services.

Without the BBC, you would not know so much about our planet or the world at large. We would not see creativity in the same way. Things like Doctor Who, Peaky Blinders, Eastenders, The Office, Absolutely Fabulous, Spooks, Line of Duty, Blue Planet, Frozen Planet, Life on Earth, Countryfile, The Royle Family, Only Fools and Horses, Top of the Pops, Blackadder, Alan Partridge, I May Destroy You, Talking Heads, Radios 1, 2, 3, 4 (etcetera), and BBC World Service.

Nor would we have the acres of forums on here as a result of the programmes they produce.

You might not agree with its news output, or question whether it’s truly impartial, or you might not watch or listen to any of its output but that’s your choice. You don’t have to pay the licence fee.

But bear in mind other delivery models could mean another tax on working adults. A subscription service model like Netflix is not the only option. So be careful what you wish for.

But give me the BBC over the Tory-supporting Murdoch/Rothermere/Barclay media empires any day.

Reactions: 5
It's honestly outdated, I've never paid the thing, I get my TV from streaming sites, with a vpn it's amazing what I can get at just a click of a button, can get anything from all over the world, I wouldn't watch the trash the BBC pumped out if I was paid to, nothing but fixed reality shows that people waste money to vote on which counts to nothing to soaps that have 4 writers that write the same thing over an over again to god awful quiz shows with annoying hosts an forced laughs at "jokes"

when I was a kid we would fight over what channel to watch an what channel to record cause Saturday nights were so good, now it's a fight over what streaming site we want cause there's so much on there

If the license does go then maybe it will show the BBC just how many people especially the younger generation have given up, they money they pay some of these people is disgusting, if they would put that money into shows then maybe we would have some quality back but they would rather give out rubbish an overpay these clowns, if it weren't for needing a license for sky or cable they would have went bust years ago, cause right now those two are the only things that saved them, if you no longer need a license for sky an cable then I can see the BBC lasting no more than 5 years an that's being generous

It was the salaries they pay people like Zoe Ball and Claudia winkleman that made me cancel my licence.
Much too generous with other people's money so i removed myself.

Reactions: 6
Agree hugely @WritersBlock. The BBC is not perfect, but pretty amazing...

The BBC isn't ONE Channel. It is:
9 National TV channels
6 Regional TV Channels
12 Local TV Channels
13 International TV Channels
11 National radio stations
Approx 40 regional radio stations
Plus the online provision

The BBC have nurtured and launched a supreme amount of talent in music, comedy, writing, journalism, acting, plus behind-the-scenes roles. The international reputation of the BBC is a massive credit to us as a nation. But one most of us do not realise, as we do not see or experience it. To attack the BBC in this fashion will only hurt the population of this country.

This current government do not like the way the BBC report current political events. And the only way they can stop it is to get rid of it.

It is a disgrace.

Reactions: 7
It is trusted worldwide
Apart from high levels of Jewish people who don’t trust the BBC anymore after they ran that story about the Jewish people on the bus and refused to apologise or change their story - even when it was found to be false. That was in the last few weeks.
But the BBC also pays some of its top ‘talent’ a disgusting amount of money to do the bare minimum, has culture of gender pay gaps, sexism, it helped cover up Saville, had a history of executive payoffs. The comparison to the NHS is apt though because that is also an origination that has become a money pit.
If it doesn’t go I think it needs to be restructured.

Reactions: 12
Good riddance.

There is zero reason nowadays that anyone should have to pay the BBC money to watch ITV, or should have to pay the BBC money to watch Channel 4 and so on.

Reactions: 6
When I did media studies at college I remember the teacher basically saying how good it is to have a tv license and you get so much out of it that at the time i was sold on it. But then when I moved out to go to London it just felt like an unnecessary expense because I had bills out of my ears and Netflix- i didn’t even own a tv, just an iPad and a gaming monitor. Even now where I’m more comfortably living I don’t see the worth in it because everything I went to watch is on streaming sites.

Being as I bought a TV again recently after years without, I like the idea of no license in the near future.

Reactions: 3