The Archie Battersbee case

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She’s posted more pictures of him and people are saying how well and healthy he looks.

The child looks… dead.

My heart actually breaks when I see him - how deluded are his army to look at him and think he looks good?!
The first comment is someone saying how much is hair has grown and he won't recognise himself when he wakes up. As if he's asleep :oops:

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Some very strange people in that Facebook group... odd to see he has a circle mark on his head today, explained as "cupping" (the alternative nonsense medicine) - presumably an attempt to "wake him up". It's easy to understand how a parent would feel in that situation, but it's very sad to see how this is being dragged out.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
At the end of the day, in their mind, they’re trying to save the life of their 12 year old child. Archie is not suffering, he no longer has the capacity to suffer. There is no evidence that his continued treatment is actually preventing anyone else getting treatment.
I think there is very good evidence? She has said in interviews that children like Archie need six months “before they even start to do anything”. Setting aside how preposterous and unfounded this is, she seems to expect him to be maintained in a paediatric ICU bed for 6 months. He has already been there for nearly 3. We have a resource poor health system where children requiring ICU beds sometimes have to be transferred long distances to get one. I don’t know the cost per day but 6 months in an ICU bed with NO prospect of recovery or survival is a completely selfish waste of scarce resources which could be better used to potentially save another persons child.
Also, even though Archie isn’t suffering anymore doesn’t mean that his body can be treated however she feels. If she decided she wanted him flaying and hoisting on a flag pole would that be ok, because he wouldn’t know about it? A society is measured in part by the way we treat our dead and dying.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 50
Those beds are probably like gold dust too. I know when some people have had operations they have had to wait until an icu bed was available before it was able to go ahead.

Reactions: 16
Also, even though Archie isn’t suffering anymore doesn’t mean that his body can be treated however she feels. If she decided she wanted him flaying and hoisting on a flag pole would that be ok, because he wouldn’t know about it? A society is measured in part by the way we treat our dead and dying.
I really really agree with you here. The fact that he isn’t suffering doesn’t give her the red light to treat his body any way she chooses. His body should be treated with respect and dignity, you wouldn’t treat an animal like this let alone your child.
So many people seem to forget that we don’t own our children or have rights to do as we please with them, children are separate beings and have their own rights. I believe the judge in the hearing this week said something like this being about Archie and his family have taken that as support for them instead of realising that what is agreed as being best for Archie probably isn’t going to be the same as what they want to happen.

I am largely ignoring the rumours about the family, I said in a previous post that with all the different stories going around it is hard to know fact from fiction. Instead I’m going by their behaviour which isn’t exactly covering them in glory.

It is terrible the things they have accused the hospital of. Do I think all hospitals and doctors are perfect? No. But they are making huge and damaging accusations based on seemingly no evidence. They allowed untrue posts in the group regarding the NHS at the same time as removing any comments based in fact.

Reactions: 29
Six minute video from mum today. There's a big handwritten sign stuck on the wall.

Archie's Care Plan
DO resuscitate
NO end of life treatment!

Screenshot_20220703-180624_Facebook.jpg

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 21
Imagine how the staff feel having to read that every day. She's got something very seriously wrong with her, that one.

Reactions: 16
I really really agree with you here. The fact that he isn’t suffering doesn’t give her the red light to treat his body any way she chooses. His body should be treated with respect and dignity, you wouldn’t treat an animal like this let alone your child.
So many people seem to forget that we don’t own our children or have rights to do as we please with them, children are separate beings and have their own rights. I believe the judge in the hearing this week said something like this being about Archie and his family have taken that as support for them instead of realising that what is agreed as being best for Archie probably isn’t going to be the same as what they want to happen.

I am largely ignoring the rumours about the family, I said in a previous post that with all the different stories going around it is hard to know fact from fiction. Instead I’m going by their behaviour which isn’t exactly covering them in glory.

It is terrible the things they have accused the hospital of. Do I think all hospitals and doctors are perfect? No. But they are making huge and damaging accusations based on seemingly no evidence. They allowed untrue posts in the group regarding the NHS at the same time as removing any comments based in fact.
especially as the judge said from the evidence she’d seen, both the nursing and consultant care has been exemplary

Reactions: 15
It looks like it also says "Please speak to Archie when working with him", "introduce yourselves to the family." The nurses don't need to be told how to do their jobs 🤦🏻‍♀️ I guarantee lots of people would like to put a list of criteria next to their loved one's hospital bed but it just doesn't work that way.

Reactions: 32
I think she's trying to drum up as much money as she can before he passes, if she thought he had any chance of recovery she wouldn't be putting out those undignified pics and footage on SM , even claiming they're suctioning his airways with a tube full of excrement , she'll drift off into the sunset with thousands in the bank no questions asked.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
It looks like it also says "Please speak to Archie when working with him", "introduce yourselves to the family." The nurses don't need to be told how to do their jobs 🤦🏻‍♀️ I guarantee lots of people would like to put a list of criteria next to their loved one's hospital bed but it just doesn't work that way.
How bleeping patronising.
I worked on ICU for only a few months but all the staff talked to the sedated and ventilated patients and we encouraged visitors to do the same as we don’t know how much people hear and understand in that state. Obviously in Archie’s state he won’t hear anything but it’s still the right thing to do. I was trained to talk to people in the mortuary. She thinks she knows better and I hate people like her , chip on her shoulder because she is pig ignorant and poorly educated

• Heart
Reactions: 45
I think she's trying to drum up as much money as she can before he passes, if she thought he had any chance of recovery she wouldn't be putting out those undignified pics and footage on SM , even claiming they're suctioning his airways with a tube full of excrement , she'll drift off into the sunset with thousands in the bank no questions asked.
From her Facebook group it seems like a lot of donators aren't even bothered if she keeps the cash, I saw quite a few comments from people saying they think she deserves it for what she's gone through... 🙄

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
I too used to talk to the deceased in the mortuary. I cannot imagine how difficult it must feel for the staff just doing their jobs, family ready to jump and bad mouth everything.

Reactions: 13
From her Facebook group it seems like a lot of donators aren't even bothered if she keeps the cash, I saw quite a few comments from people saying they think she deserves it for what she's gone through... 🙄
She knows it . GFM is all above board she can transfer the cash anytime , it states it's to help the family so people are willingly giving her money while she seems to be picking apart his medical care to drum up more sympathy .

• Sick
Reactions: 7
I think you are right, Archie's "mother" knows he is dead, but does not care about his dignity and is just looking for a payday and press attention. Archie's grotesque family should not be allowed to take a single of any money raised and it should be given to the hospital.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.