The Archie Battersbee case

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think you are right, Archie's "mother" knows he is dead, but does not care about his dignity and is just looking for a payday and press attention. Archie's grotesque family should not be allowed to take a single of any money raised and it should be given to the hospital.
Couldn’t get him famous in life so trying in death instead.

That is not a mother at all 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 13
I think you are right, Archie's "mother" knows he is dead, but does not care about his dignity and is just looking for a payday and press attention. Archie's grotesque family should not be allowed to take a single of any money raised and it should be given to the hospital.
That's what I get from her FB anyway ..a decent family would not exploit their loved one in their most vulnerable state, it's not like she's paying for his care so why the constant need for media attention unless she's looking to benefit from it personally .

Reactions: 11
Sorry if this is a stupid question but he’s had that red circle (from cupping) on his forehead for weeks.. is this another sign that despite his heart beating, his body cannot heal even minor injuries like injection sites etc.. just thinking that cupping marks should surely only last as long as a bruise.

Reactions: 9
From her Facebook group it seems like a lot of donators aren't even bothered if she keeps the cash, I saw quite a few comments from people saying they think she deserves it for what she's gone through... 🙄
I saw similar. One saying she hopes it’s used to give Archie a holiday of a lifetime and that they will be set for life after!

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
I saw similar. One saying she hopes it’s used to give Archie a holiday of a lifetime and that they will be set for life after!
What a moron.
I despair honestly.
These are the sort of people who 500 years ago would be attending public hangings and throwing rotten veg at people in stocks
Slack jawed idiots

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I am not comfortable with suggestions that Hollie is a narc or a bad mother. We have no proof of that at all.

The only thing we have hearsay about is that she was maybe a pushy mum. But so are lots of mums and it doesn’t make them “bad”. There is also a lot of evidence that she is a loving and attentive mother.

Making unproven accusations against her or the family seems unnecessary and unfair and I’m surprised people who are up in arms about a grieving, traumatised, delusional mother making unfounded accusations against the hospital, are not also upset by those doing that to Archie’s mother and wider family. Hollie is not in a rational state of mind right now, no online spectators have that excuse. There’s lots of talk about how “Archie’s Army” are vicious but it seems the other side are becoming just as bad.

At the end of the day, in their mind, they’re trying to save the life of their 12 year old child. Archie is not suffering, he no longer has the capacity to suffer. There is no evidence that his continued treatment is actually preventing anyone else getting treatment. The vitriol the family are getting is out of proportion to their actions.

Scrutiny of their dishonest or incorrect claims is necessary, and people are entitled to voice their disagreement with the continuing life support. I just think this suffering family deserves more compassion than they’re getting.
Couldn't have put it better myself! 👏 Thank you for saying that. My heart breaks for Alfie and his family, yes including his mother. 💔

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I saw one of the posters in the AA linked another go fund me.

It's for a woman who they are claiming collapsed at work, and now St Thomas' hospital want to remove her from the ventilator (but they think this is premature and she will wake up).

It's already got 7 grand, but there's no evidence this woman exists if you search her name. I'm sure she does, but I just feel this whole setup is super dodgy and ripe for exploitation. As with Archie, doctors & HCPs do not want to end the life of young people and if fact they'll go to extrodinary lengths for their patients. If they was a suggestion either of them could make a recovery, they wouldn't be suggesting withdrawal of life support...

Reactions: 9
You can have compassion for the family qt the same time recognise they are behaving badly .

In my role IRL, I deal with frontline emergency work, and have been to pediatric jobs, one was for a baby born with a congenital condition that deteriorates from moment of birth,
Was found In utero, mother advised against pregnancy..
Ploughed ahead, gave birth to a wretched baby,- and proceeded to garner SM attention from all the drama that ensued in its short life..

The medical profession are their for a reason, we should listen to them.
Not unfailingly but we should take their advice in such matters.

• Sad
Reactions: 27
It looks like it also says "Please speak to Archie when working with him", "introduce yourselves to the family." The nurses don't need to be told how to do their jobs 🤦🏻‍♀️ I guarantee lots of people would like to put a list of criteria next to their loved one's hospital bed but it just doesn't work that way.
I'm actually incredulous at this. The poor medical staff having to deal with her and the rest of the motley crew. Shame his own mother didn't speak to him more during his life. He might not have been inclined to put a noose around his neck otherwise.

Reactions: 24
I’m wondering how much his family are even there if they are running around dealing with the press and his court case.

Reactions: 10
I feel like some of the criticism is too harsh. Mostly because logically we know that he's dead. If she doesn't or can't accept that then she clearly isn't in a good place.

That said, I don't understand the need to be in the public eye and her doing that happened really early on.

There's clear evidence that he's brain dead and that would have been the case from very early on. If someone is taken to hospital with (an essentially fatal) brain injury and everything done to save them fails, then that would usually reach conclusion (as in brain death confimed) in approx three days. There's a process of tests that are carried out. It seems unusual that this situation has been drawn out.

I think my original point was meant to be that his mother can't be that awful that it's about money now. She must be really struggling. She cannot be of sound mind fighting this. She can't be. The poor child is dead.

That said, I keep thinking of all the families that have gone through similar situations without feeling the need to create such a circus.

Reactions: 5
I feel like some of the criticism is too harsh. Mostly because logically we know that he's dead. If she doesn't or can't accept that then she clearly isn't in a good place.

That said, I don't understand the need to be in the public eye and her doing that happened really early on.

There's clear evidence that he's brain dead and that would have been the case from very early on. If someone is taken to hospital with (an essentially fatal) brain injury and everything done to save them fails, then that would usually reach conclusion (as in brain death confimed) in approx three days. There's a process of tests that are carried out. It seems unusual that this situation has been drawn out.

I think my original point was meant to be that his mother can't be that awful that it's about money now. She must be really struggling. She cannot be of sound mind fighting this. She can't be. The poor child is dead.

That said, I keep thinking of all the families that have gone through similar situations without feeling the need to create such a circus.
It’s not so much her actions but more the publicity of it all. Her actions, albeit not what we all see as ‘right’ are clearly of a grief stricken mother. However, I think there has to be a point where even the most heartbroken know that it’s not for the world to see, even a member of her family or a friend should step in but they’re not. Archie deserves respect and dignity which he is not getting right now, not denying she doesn’t love him tremendously, they just don’t need to be sharing everything.

Reactions: 15
It’s not so much her actions but more the publicity of it all. Her actions, albeit not what we all see as ‘right’ are clearly of a grief stricken mother. However, I think there has to be a point where even the most heartbroken know that it’s not for the world to see, even a member of her family or a friend should step in but they’re not. Archie deserves respect and dignity which he is not getting right now, not denying she doesn’t love him tremendously, they just don’t need to be sharing everything.
I completely agree. He absolutely deserves privacy and dignity and he isn't getting it. I don't think his situation ever needing bringing to public attention, nevermind the extent to which information and photographs are being shared now.

Reactions: 7
I feel compassion for Archie and his family, it’s a horrific situation. But he died over 2 months ago and we now have this circus. Each case like this sets a worrying precedent for the public that you can demand life sustaining treatment and waste masses of money and time to try and get it. The inference that the staff want to kill Archie for his organs shows such a staggering level of misunderstanding, ignorance and suspicion and this spreads like a disease when publicised in the media/

Reactions: 30
I feel compassion for Archie and his family, it’s a horrific situation. But he died over 2 months ago and we now have this circus. Each case like this sets a worrying precedent for the public that you can demand life sustaining treatment and waste masses of money and time to try and get it. The inference that the staff want to kill Archie for his organs shows such a staggering level of misunderstanding, ignorance and suspicion and this spreads like a disease when publicised in the media/
Technically though if his body is on life support, it is in a limbo state between life and death!

But I do agree that if his brain stem has gone, he has no chance at all of life, and all the life support machinery should be turned off, and let the poor child die in peace!

I do wish his mother and the rest of the family would agree to this, as it must be so expensive to keep him alive in an ICU bed. Maybe the hospital needs to issue a clear statement saying that they have no intention of using Archie or any child as an organ donor, against the wishes of the rest of the family. (I dont have an issue with organ donation, if it is agreed by the family, but.....if it is complex!)

I do wish in these cases there was more emphasis on .......if we want to see a true miracle....and see how well Archie and others could cope naturally, we should of course remove all the artificial life support. Give palliative care as appropriate, but let the body cope by itself, not full of man made drugs or interventions.

So sad

Reactions: 5
I doubt his organs are suitable for donation given that his body has been rotting for the past few weeks.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
There is absolutely no way that any of his organs would be anything approaching viable for transplant. At. All.

Reactions: 27
I think it's such a shame that the question of organ donation, when it was still viable, has been blown so out of proportion by the family. And now it isn't viable at all they need to stop with the insinuation that the NHS want to harvest his organs etc. Its disgusting.

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.