The Archie Battersbee case

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When my mother was in ITU she was not brain dead in the way that is usually defined.
But he injuries were so severe that it was only the machines keeping her alive. She could not have recovered from them.
However during the time she was there we saw several people who were diagnosed as brain dead and the machines keeping them alive were switched off. It was all very gentle, dignified.
We were asked if we minded leaving the ITU unit for a while as “one of our patients will be leaving us” and that gave the family privacy.
There was also a time of silence and privacy for those who were being used as organ donors.
The thought of Archie’s family being these, causing a fuss, disrupting the peaceful atmosphere of ITU disgusts me.
The hospital staff treat every patient and their family with respect. It’s hard to explain but it does make the end of life care special, respectful.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
I can't remember where I read that the doctors who were due to perform the brain stem testing ordered peripheral nerve testing, which he failed, so one part of the brain stem test couldn't be performed accurately as it would render that part 'non applicable'. Plus mum wouldn't sanction apnoea testing right way back when.
Thanks for this, I’ve lost a lot of the info amongst all the other nonsense that’s gone on! I remember the apnoea test drama though.

I assume by peripheral nerve testing they just did a train of four and he maybe had 1 or 2 twitches, which yes would mean testing couldn’t continue even if all the other criteria was met. With his progression since then and the MRI scans, he is very unlikely to have any twitches at all now.

Reactions: 9
Thanks for this, I’ve lost a lot of the info amongst all the other nonsense that’s gone on! I remember the apnoea test drama though.

I assume by peripheral nerve testing they just did a train of four and he maybe had 1 or 2 twitches, which yes would mean testing couldn’t continue even if all the other criteria was met. With his progression since then and the MRI scans, he is very unlikely to have any twitches at all now.
I'm 20 years post ICU nursing (I did other stuff after) so forgive my layman's terms. He had no response to a nerve testing instrument/gadget/machine thingy so they couldn't proceed to brain stem testing. When I have the time and energy (or at 3am 😬) I'll remember what the specific terms were. It's been a long, hot, busy day.

Reactions: 12
I'm 20 years post ICU nursing (I did other stuff after) so forgive my layman's terms. He had no response to a nerve testing instrument/gadget/machine thingy do they couldn't proceed to brain stem testing. When I have the time and energy (or at 3am 😬) I'll remember what the specific terms were. It's been a long, hot, busy day.
Haha no dramas! So I’d say that would be a train of four, which in v basic terms is just a little gadget that you stick on your wrist that gives you a little electric shock and measures your conscious level. 4 twitches = me and you. 0 twitches = nothing at all, so either paralysed (with drugs or illness) or brain stem death and then 1/2/3 twitches is anywhere in between. You use it to titrate sedation levels in induced comas / assess people post op and when weaning paralysis / sedation, and use it during brain stem testing to check for reflexes.

So if he had no response that’s a “good” thing in terms of brain stem testing. But I don’t know now… I’m also tired and hot! 🤔🙃

Reactions: 8
Im really struggling with Archie’s Mum saying things like “your rights have changed”

Archie is her son, yes, but he’s not her property. She doesn’t own him.

Reactions: 23
People are asking for an address to send cards and gifts to and she's give them the hospital address :rolleyes:

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
People are asking for an address to send cards and gifts to and she's give them the hospital address :rolleyes:
This is so wrong! If she wants stuff sent, she needs to set up a PO Box not put yet another burden on the poor bloody hospital. Stupid woman!

Reactions: 21
AGH if anything I find this worse than asking for donations.

I don't want to be rude but it's just a load of extra *stuff* that Archie will not get any pleasure from and will be clogging up the hospital, eventually ending up in landfill. It's all for the mum's benefit, not his.

At least the donations aren't causing extra hassle, and (hypothetically) could be donated to a children's charity once the family realise that, sadly, it won't be needed for hospital costs or rehab.

Reactions: 22

I don't want to be rude but it's just a load of extra *stuff* that Archie will not get any pleasure from and will be clogging up the hospital, eventually ending up in landfill. It's all for the mum's benefit, not his.

At least the donations aren't causing extra hassle, and (hypothetically) could be donated to a children's charity once the family realise that, sadly, it won't be needed for hospital costs or rehab.
Or pay for a highly extravagant over the top funeral.

• Sick
Reactions: 9
If she had any class she would ask people not to send cards or gifts but rather donate that money to a proper registered charity

Reactions: 24
If she had any class she would ask people not to send cards or gifts but rather donate that money to a proper registered charity
That doesn't fit in with her agenda, which appears to be to gain as much as she can whilst this continues on. That poor boy.

• Sad
Reactions: 12

Agree, plus remember those horrible shorts that someone sent with a business card so Hollie could link everyone to their facebook selling page? That will be happening x1000. Facebook huns never miss a marketing opportunity :sick:

• Sick
Reactions: 10
I wouldn't worry about the hospital donations. That would require the Army managing to correctly write the address on the envelope.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
The cost of living payments will be hitting their bank accounts within days so they will be splashing the cash. I’ve already seen countless of those Facebook huns posting about how they can’t wait to spend their money on their nails.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
I think it's frustrating that they can't understand that absolutely everyone wishes Archie could recover. No one wishes for the end game of this situation to be for Archie to lose his life. The same way when they stopped treatment for a very close relative of mine with cancer. I'd of given any organ they would of needed if it would of saved them

But the reality is the same. I remember clutching this relatives DNR and feeling my heart fall to bits. But there was no going back and they didn't want to stay alive for the quality of life they were having

• Heart
Reactions: 13
The cost of living payments will be hitting their bank accounts within days so they will be splashing the cash. I’ve already seen countless of those Facebook huns posting about how they can’t wait to spend their money on their nails.
Is it not meant for their families? I'm childfree so I don't have a clue about these things.. But surely I'm not stumping up for some hun's nails 😭😭

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.