The advice thread for random problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Any tips for coldarses swimmers who find the pool too cold?
I used to find my pool was always cold when less people were in it, so asked about it an they told me that the less people that are in the more heaters they switch off, something to do with saving money if the pool isn't busy plus after a certan time they wanted them off anyway (at times there was only me in the pool but I'd go at night) of course your pool might be different but it could be worth maybe asking them if there's a reason it's so cold

Reactions: 1
Swim faster? 😅

Only half joking... if its a sports pool (which are kept at a lower temp - swimming in a warm pool when you're sweating is grim), you might really benefit from increasing your swimming speed or learning a new, more intense stroke. Breaststroke and head above water is relaxing but not very energetically intense as you don't involve your back that much. You could buy some goggles and do the olympic style breaststroke instead. I don't know which level of swimming you're at, maybe getting a coach for a session or two would also be worth it.

Otherwise, do some warmup exercises to get you sweating, then you'll be glad of the pool to cool you down. Planks are a good one, pushups, jumping jacks, ... Could you walk there instead of driving? Or take the bicycle?
Great ideas, thanks. Need a coach but they're booked up. Snail's pace with head above water 😂
---

I used to find my pool was always cold when less people were in it, so asked about it an they told me that the less people that are in the more heaters they switch off, something to do with saving money if the pool isn't busy plus after a certan time they wanted them off anyway (at times there was only me in the pool but I'd go at night) of course your pool might be different but it could be worth maybe asking them if there's a reason it's so cold
Oh, never thought of that :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I have a weird one for you guys. For the next few weeks, I'm based in the London office of the company I work for. I'm here with 2 of my other coworkers from home. There's this guy who's always making me feel uncomfortable. He constantly talks about Brexit, and how people are trying to sneak into the UK to find jobs. He even called me "one of them Europeans" and idk, it didn't sit right with me. I tried to brush it off, but he wouldn't stop. Then I asked him to stop and he called me a 'paddy' and told me I can't be that sensitive. I'm going back home to Dublin in 4 weeks and I can't wait to see the back of him!

Should I report him to HR? I can't say that's he's being racist as he's not really saying anything racist. I'm white & Irish and I never really considered myself to be a foreigner in the UK. It's a strange one.

Also, and this is more of a question that I'm just interested in hearing a British perspective on, do you consider Irish people to be foreigners in the UK? Or just people like you with a different accent? :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
I have a weird one for you guys. For the next few weeks, I'm based in the London office of the company I work for. I'm here with 2 of my other coworkers from home. There's this guy who's always making me feel uncomfortable. He constantly talks about Brexit, and how people are trying to sneak into the UK to find jobs. He even called me "one of them Europeans" and idk, it didn't sit right with me. I tried to brush it off, but he wouldn't stop. Then I asked him to stop and he called me a 'paddy' and told me I can't be that sensitive. I'm going back home to Dublin in 4 weeks and I can't wait to see the back of him!

Should I report him to HR? I can't say that's he's being racist as he's not really saying anything racist. I'm white & Irish and I never really considered myself to be a foreigner in the UK. It's a strange one.

Also, and this is more of a question that I'm just interested in hearing a British perspective on, do you consider Irish people to be foreigners in the UK? Or just people like you with a different accent? :ROFLMAO:
He just sounds like an absolute prick who thinks what he says doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t say it’s racist but certainly cam be offensive.
But for me it’s more the fact that you told him it’s not on/upsetting/offensive to you and then instead of saying “ok, sorry” he carried on.
I would first have a word with your manager and if that don’t work complain to HR

Reactions: 8
He just sounds like an absolute prick who thinks what he says doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t say it’s racist but certainly cam be offensive.
But for me it’s more the fact that you told him it’s not on/upsetting/offensive to you and then instead of saying “ok, sorry” he carried on.
I would first have a word with your manager and if that don’t work complain to HR
Thank you for your advice, I think you're right.. I'll have a chat with my boss first and see where to go from there.

Tbh I really just don't want to come across as a triggered snowflake :ROFLMAO:

Thank you for your advice, I think you're right.. I'll have a chat with my boss first and see where to go from there.

Tbh I really just don't want to come across as a triggered snowflake :ROFLMAO:
Not at all snowflake. I can be offensive to one and all in the UK because I’m very direct and say things as I see it. Malice not intended, it’s just my culture. But if somebody tells me I’m wrong and explain why or if they tell me they have taken offence I would always apologise. I don’t set out to upset people

It's xenophobic, prejudiced and bigoted. I would report him or if you don't feel you want to just yet, warn him if he does it again you'll report - him quite literally cut him off with an "i'll stop you there. If you EVER speak to me or about me in that way again I will report you to HR. Under law they are bound to protect me from your bigoted opinions with no detriment to me so just think about what that means for you". And then report him at the merest mention or if he protests or calls you anything negative for suggesting you might. And they are bound to protect you, if they don't they can be held responsible too and if you were made to feel so uncomfortable you resigned, you'd have a case for constructive dismissal. They definitely wont want that!!
I would try to recall dates and locations of any incidents and details of any witnesses so they realise you're serious.
The law on race discrimination: Race discrimination at work - Acas

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The gasket from my blender has stubborn dirt. I’ve let it run through six dishwashing cycles and it won’t move. Does anyone have ideas that I can try out?

The gasket from my blender has stubborn dirt. I’ve let it run through six dishwashing cycles and it won’t move. Does anyone have ideas that I can try out?
Something fizzy, bicarb & vinegar or a fizzing mug cleaner.

Do you have a steam cleaner with a fine nozzle? That might help blast it loose.

I would cook it up with dishwashing liquid and let it sit overnight. Which kind of dirt is it, do you know? I had that issue with avocado a lot that the dishes wouldn't get clean in the diswasher, soaking helped a lot.

Anyone got destructive pets? What do you find the best toys are for them

This will seem stupid but I have a very destructive rabbit, he free roams during the day so around 8/9am to about 10/11pm an is supervised so I can keep a eye on him an he's ok

However I recently got rid of his cage which I used for nights when am sleeping an when am out, an changed it to panels to make a sort of pen so he could free roam the bedroom without supervision an not get into things

He now however seems hell bent on destroying absolutely everything, his bed that I've had since I got him got all the stuffing ripped out it an today the litter tray got thrown about, he has his box stuffed daily with hay an some chew things like those wooden balls, but am wondering if there's anything else I can get him that he will focus his chewing on that will last as his toys don't last long
Has he been neutered? If not then it may well be hormonal changes. Rabbits also don't like change so he might just be letting you know that he doesn't approve of you getting rid of things!
Rabbits really should be bonded with another neutered bunny, they are sociable animals and are much happier in pairs as it allows for companionship, mutual grooming etc but I do understand that means the costs of everything doubles, if you do go for it then many rescues will do the bonding for you as it can be a stressful process which can take several weeks ( not always, some fall in love straight away!) but a rescue will be able to match your bunny with a suitable partner.
As for destruction try giving some natural chews such as hawthorn or apple branches, unsprayed obviously, stuff toilet rolls or brown paper bags with hay and forage, buy a treat dispenser designed to make them work for their nuggets so it takes longer to eat them and provides mental stimulation at the same time, they do love to dig so a box of soil or kids playsand is great but messy so maybe use outside or on a floor that can be swept, a cleaner option is shredded paper but long cut only as short cut is too dusty.
Supervised play only: make a little line out of string, hang it up and peg his greens on it so he has to work for them by stretching up a little.
They love tunnels and hidey places that have more than one entrance/exit and things they can jump on and off at different levels, Google Hop Inn rabbit hideaway, not cheap but will last, also if they still sell them IKEA dolls beds are hugely popular with bunnies!
Hope this helps 😊

Has he been neutered? If not then it may well be hormonal changes. Rabbits also don't like change so he might just be letting you know that he doesn't approve of you getting rid of things!
Rabbits really should be bonded with another neutered bunny, they are sociable animals and are much happier in pairs as it allows for companionship, mutual grooming etc but I do understand that means the costs of everything doubles, if you do go for it then many rescues will do the bonding for you as it can be a stressful process which can take several weeks ( not always, some fall in love straight away!) but a rescue will be able to match your bunny with a suitable partner.
As for destruction try giving some natural chews such as hawthorn or apple branches, unsprayed obviously, stuff toilet rolls or brown paper bags with hay and forage, buy a treat dispenser designed to make them work for their nuggets so it takes longer to eat them and provides mental stimulation at the same time, they do love to dig so a box of soil or kids playsand is great but messy so maybe use outside or on a floor that can be swept, a cleaner option is shredded paper but long cut only as short cut is too dusty.
Supervised play only: make a little line out of string, hang it up and peg his greens on it so he has to work for them by stretching up a little.
They love tunnels and hidey places that have more than one entrance/exit and things they can jump on and off at different levels, Google Hop Inn rabbit hideaway, not cheap but will last, also if they still sell them IKEA dolls beds are hugely popular with bunnies!
Hope this helps 😊
Thanks I'll try some of those, he's neutered yes, but it was a must so his insurance covered it because he didn't mature properly so I only had to cover the excess, money is really why I can't get another, it's £200 to neuter but he's also incredibly aggressive (he will chase people around the house an bite, he also will attack my guinea pigs cage, he never goes in their cage because I know you can't have them together but he can see them through their pen) an I don't think he would take another rabbit plus I don't have the room to house another if this is the case an I'd feel like tit having to give it up, am hoping it was maybe because he wasn't happy losing his cage for his new pen despite his pen actually given him a ton more room, but I'll maybe get some play sand an try the treat thing, I've also never heard of the doll beds so I'll maybe get him one of those

Tbf he's the only one I've ever had that's been like this, I've had rabbits for years (mostly rescues) that like him couldn't be bonded due to having illness or being too aggressive to others, given the fact I get "groomed" then he seems to have a bond with me an he gets interacted with morning to night just about every day, am just a bit lost on whats the best chew toys as I've never had one this destructive before 😅

• Heart
Thanks I'll try some of those, he's neutered yes, but it was a must so his insurance covered it because he didn't mature properly so I only had to cover the excess, money is really why I can't get another, it's £200 to neuter but he's also incredibly aggressive (he will chase people around the house an bite, he also will attack my guinea pigs cage, he never goes in their cage because I know you can't have them together but he can see them through their pen) an I don't think he would take another rabbit plus I don't have the room to house another if this is the case an I'd feel like tit having to give it up, am hoping it was maybe because he wasn't happy losing his cage for his new pen despite his pen actually given him a ton more room, but I'll maybe get some play sand an try the treat thing, I've also never heard of the doll beds so I'll maybe get him one of those

Tbf he's the only one I've ever had that's been like this, I've had rabbits for years (mostly rescues) that like him couldn't be bonded due to having illness or being too aggressive to others, given the fact I get "groomed" then he seems to have a bond with me an he gets interacted with morning to night just about every day, am just a bit lost on whats the best chew toys as I've never had one this destructive before 😅
Bless him, some just are more destructive than others no matter what you do to distract them! Just a warning with the sand, don't put any food in it as you don't want him to ingest any and make sure you brush off any excess and check his eyes nose and genital area each time so there's no irritation.
Hope he enjoys it and stops destroying everything!
Just had another thought, try some of the toys designed for babies, wilko used to sell a ring with big chunky keys on it which they love to fling and are more robust than the ones actually sold for rabbits, also stacking cups to hide treats in

Bless him, some just are more destructive than others no matter what you do to distract them! Just a warning with the sand, don't put any food in it as you don't want him to ingest any and make sure you brush off any excess and check his eyes nose and genital area each time so there's no irritation.
Hope he enjoys it and stops destroying everything!
Just had another thought, try some of the toys designed for babies, wilko used to sell a ring with big chunky keys on it which they love to fling and are more robust than the ones actually sold for rabbits, also stacking cups to hide treats in
Thanks, never thought of those toys, we still have those kinds of toys from my neice that she's too old for now so I'll give it ago, it's really mostly in his pen he's doing it, when he's out free roaming hes a bit more better behaved 😅

Something fizzy, bicarb & vinegar or a fizzing mug cleaner.
The dishwashing powder would have covered those bases I feel like. Idk, am I wrong?

Do you have a steam cleaner with a fine nozzle? That might help blast it loose.
This is interesting, I’ll give it a try!

I would cook it up with dishwashing liquid and let it sit overnight. Which kind of dirt is it, do you know? I had that issue with avocado a lot that the dishes wouldn't get clean in the diswasher, soaking helped a lot.
I don’t know if you mean literally cook it, like boil? I’d have to invest in a completely scentless dish soap. This is not avocado ! I prefer chunky guacamole to smooth. But you could try adding a quarter teaspoon of dish liquid to your dishwasher. I’ve done it many times now to get rid of stuck grease. It works very well the one exception being the problem gasket 😂 it might be an actual alien substance 😅

• Haha
Yesterday, someone made a informal offer on my laptop for €50 then when submitting the formal offer, they submitted for €70 which was the original asking price.

I was under the impression they’d but it for €70. We were meant to meet this morning. I emailed them to confirm they were purchasing for €70 and they said no, they were buying for €50 per the informal offer.

I ended up cancelling the sale as I go by the formal offer on the website. They’ve since sent me 10 messages saying this is not on and how I was coercing then into giving me more money! They keep sending me messages saying I’ve wasted their time blah blah (as if mine wasn’t wasted).

I’ve had nothing but positive feedbacks on this platform and this person won’t shut up. I’ve apologized twice for the misunderstanding etc, but they won’t stop messaging me.

Honestly.

• Sad
Yesterday, someone made a informal offer on my laptop for €50 then when submitting the formal offer, they submitted for €70 which was the original asking price.

I was under the impression they’d but it for €70. We were meant to meet this morning. I emailed them to confirm they were purchasing for €70 and they said no, they were buying for €50 per the informal offer.

I ended up cancelling the sale as I go by the formal offer on the website. They’ve since sent me 10 messages saying this is not on and how I was coercing then into giving me more money! They keep sending me messages saying I’ve wasted their time blah blah (as if mine wasn’t wasted).

I’ve had nothing but positive feedbacks on this platform and this person won’t shut up. I’ve apologized twice for the misunderstanding etc, but they won’t stop messaging me.

Honestly.
Block and report. They knew what they were doing.

I had a bloke turn up to buy a coffee machine for £50. Turned up and said would I take £45 because he came from the next town. I said no and he still tried to give me £45! The cheek of some people.

Reactions: 7
Block and report. They knew what they were doing.

I had a bloke turn up to buy a coffee machine for £50. Turned up and said would I take £45 because he came from the next town. I said no and he still tried to give me £45! The cheek of some people.
Yes the discount for coming from far away boggles my mind. Had someone try this on me too. If I drive two towns over to John Lewis am I meant to ask for 10% off everything for the inconvenience of them not being on my doorstep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.