The advice thread for random problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Totally normal in my opinion to snap fingers at kids to get their attention, I've had my parents do it, teachers, babysitters etc an never seen anything wrong with it, sometimes kids need that sound so they will turn an look, I would understand it being rude if it was done at an adult but never a kid, kids turn an look at noise and snapping fingers is fine or even clapping hands which I'll do because I can't snap 😅
Agreed. It might be inappropriate to do to a waiter or your boss. Totally appropriate for:
-kids
-partners that are too busy playing playstation to answer your question
- the cat

Reactions: 5
Thank you all so much I’ve been really wound up and tearful all night trying to work out the error. I’ll be more conscious not to do it around her as it obviously triggered something though 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Interesting to see how many people click their fingers. Never done it and have never done it to anybody. I haven’t even done it to my dog.
I probably wouldn’t say something but I’d be taken aback by somebody clicking their fingers at a child or adult

Year 2 SATS. How important are they for the child really?
We've booked a family holiday in May during school time (cheaper by half and didn't know when the sats were) the 2nd week is SATS week 😏🙄.

My son didn't do them as the schools were shut due to covid so they can't be that important, right? (🥺🤞🏻)

And surely 7 year olds doing sats is just so the school can tick boxes as to what they can achieve and what they have taught them.

Our first holiday in 10 years and of course we chose that week 😏

Don't come for me about a term time holiday, they all have 100% attendance, for now anyway 😅

Reactions: 1
Interesting to see how many people click their fingers. Never done it and have never done it to anybody. I haven’t even done it to my dog.
I probably wouldn’t say something but I’d be taken aback by somebody clicking their fingers at a child or adult
Can I ask why? Is it especially rude? My logic is that it’s a sharp noise to grab his attention, like a clap, when kids have selective deafness. Like okay Jimmy I’ve said your name twice I’ll try punctuating it with a noise to get your attention.

We've booked a family holiday in May during school time (cheaper by half and didn't know when the sats were) the 2nd week is SATS week 😏🙄.

My son didn't do them as the schools were shut due to covid so they can't be that important, right? (🥺🤞🏻)

And surely 7 year olds doing sats is just so the school can tick boxes as to what they can achieve and what they have taught them.

Don't come for me about a term time holiday, they all have 100% attendance, for now anyway 😅
Edit because I was thinking Y6 Sats 😆

Y2 sats I forgot were even a thing!

Last edited:

They’re teachers tests and have no affect on the children. They are to check the children are all within acceptable percentiles. They don’t go to secondary school for 5 years so it has no impact on that.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

woudlnt worry about it and go enjoy your holiday. If he wasn’t making good progress you’d already know anyway so the Sats is likely just box ticking.

Can you take a load of coins in to the bank branch and have them put in to your account still? We have about £50 in small coins, including old £1 coins not bagged or sorted. Should I be sorting them before I take them in or do they use a machine now? 😂 haven’t been in branch for years. Also would a high street HSBC branch still take back the old £1s?

Can I ask why? Is it especially rude? My logic is that it’s a sharp noise to grab his attention, like a clap, when kids have selective deafness. Like okay Jimmy I’ve said your name twice I’ll try punctuating it with a noise to get your attention.
Exactly that - I used to clap sometimes if my kids weren't listening, I probably didn't click my fingers but that's only because I'm not very dexterous and I can never get clicking to make much of a sound, hence a clap was noiser and more effective! I never thought of it as being rude.

That said, I said excuse me loudly behind someone in a shop the other week (I said excuse me already twice and been ignored, so raised the volume the 3rd time!) and they got proper crappy 'oh alright love, calm down'

I hate being told to calm down, when I'm quite calm I just want you to stop blocking the aisle you plum!
---
Can you take a load of coins in to the bank branch and have them put in to your account still? We have about £50 in small coins, including old £1 coins not bagged or sorted. Should I be sorting them before I take them in or do they use a machine now? 😂 haven’t been in branch for years. Also would a high street HSBC branch still take back the old £1s?
I can only speak for Lloyds - my son has done this recently with a similar amount - they gave him the bags and asked him to sort it there, as they would only take it if it was sorted into bags of £1s, 50ps, etc

As for the old £1s, I think banks will still allow you to deposit them but won't exchange them (if that makes sense).

Reactions: 2
At our bank they have a machine you put them all in an it gets added automatically to your account, but if they don't have one then I would expect they would want you to sort an bag them before going in, also as another said, they might take the old £1 but you wouldn't get anything for them

I have a medical-y question. I had a blood test (fasted) on Thursday morning and the GP practice called on Friday afternoon to ask if I was on my period when I had the test - and I was but at the end of my period.

I have had loads of them in my life but this is the first time I’ve ever been asked! I’m so sure I have had tests when I’ve been on my period before too. Does anyone know if there is any particular reason they would have asked? I really hope they aren’t going to ask me to do another one..

I have a medical-y question. I had a blood test (fasted) on Thursday morning and the GP practice called on Friday afternoon to ask if I was on my period when I had the test - and I was but at the end of my period.

I have had loads of them in my life but this is the first time I’ve ever been asked! I’m so sure I have had tests when I’ve been on my period before too. Does anyone know if there is any particular reason they would have asked? I really hope they aren’t going to ask me to do another one..
Am not sure but I guess maybe your period could affect them like maybe a drop in iron levels?, an they wanted to clear it if they felt your iron was low, it's not something I've ever been asked about when getting bloods done

Was it a newish doctor? Sometimes I feel the newer ones cover every question in the book where as the older ones miss a few because they know themselves having been in the profession for years

My pee is fluorescent. No lies. Fluorescent yellow 😂 😂 I'm not dehydrated and it's not dehydrated pee, it's bright af yellow

I have been taking L-theanine and a new multivitamin since friday. This is probably what it is isn't it?

My pee is fluorescent. No lies. Fluorescent yellow 😂 😂 I'm not dehydrated and it's not dehydrated pee, it's bright af yellow

I have been taking L-theanine and a new multivitamin since friday. This is probably what it is isn't it?
Yup. Vitamin b supplements gives you neon wee 💫

• Heart
Reactions: 5
AH thank you! I have terrible health anxiety so I was like I know it's probably that but I needed reassurance 😂 😂
Oh I hear ya! But I promise this is nothing to worry about. Mine is dayglo the minute I look at vit b! I believe it’s because b vitamins are water soluble so whatever your body doesn’t need it excretes via kidneys.
---
I also take theanine for anxiety. Btw it’s recommended to take it 30mins before bedtime with magnesium theonate to help sleep.

• Heart
Oh I hear ya! But I promise this is nothing to worry about. Mine is dayglo the minute I look at vit b! I believe it’s because b vitamins are water soluble so whatever your body doesn’t need it excretes via kidneys.
I am pleased to know that I am at least taking in some the vitamins 😂

I am pleased to know that I am at least taking in some the vitamins 😂
I am never sure if all the supplements are doing anything but giving me expensive wee tbh but the theanine /magnesium tip above is from Andrew Huberman who seems to know his tit (Stanford neuroscientist!)

I am never sure if all the supplements are doing anything but giving me expensive wee tbh but the theanine /magnesium tip above is from Andrew Huberman who seems to know his tit (Stanford neuroscientist!)
tbf, I have been so miserable and anxious so struggling to eat, even if it's placebo doing something I'll take it.

Thank you for the tip. I take it with my evening meal usually as I can't take tablets on an empty stomach

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.