The advice thread for random problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Got myself a little 2nd job to help with the cost of living, 20hrs two weekends a month .
Now I am not good at maths but I think I am getting taxed more than the usual 20%,can someone look into my wage slip and help me please
T.I.A
You have had the basic rate tax code applied which is 20%. It all depends how much you earn in your first job and how much of your personal allowance has been used.

Reactions: 2
Got myself a little 2nd job to help with the cost of living, 20hrs two weekends a month .
Now I am not good at maths but I think I am getting taxed more than the usual 20%,can someone look into my wage slip and help me please
T.I.A
I cant quite see the figures. But it looks like your gross pay to date is 900 and tax paid to date is 180. Which is 20% so your tax to date is right for BR tax code on a cumulative basis.

It might be that you didn't pay enough tax on previous months so have paid extra this month. Your tax to date is definitely right for BR tax code.

Tax is calculated as pay to date, minus personal allowances for the tax code and relevant month (none in this case as BR is 20% on everything) and then the whole pounds only x20%. That is your tax due to date. Minus off any tax already paid in the year from that source and that's the tax due in that month. So as your tax to date is correct but your tax paid this month is higher than 20% I would guess you haven't paid enough tax in previous months but are now up to date.

BR tax code would only be wrong if you don't have income of over £12570 from another source. If your income from elsewhere is less than this then call HMRC and get them to spilt your tax code between your two incomes.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I cant quite see the figures. But it looks like your gross pay to date is 900 and tax paid to date is 180. Which is 20% so your tax to date is right for BR tax code on a cumulative basis.

It might be that you didn't pay enough tax on previous months so have paid extra this month. Your tax to date is definitely right for BR tax code.

Tax is calculated as pay to date, minus personal allowances for the tax code and relevant month (none in this case as BR is 20% on everything) and then the whole pounds only x20%. That is your tax due to date. Minus off any tax already paid in the year from that source and that's the tax due in that month. So as your tax to date is correct but your tax paid this month is higher than 20% I would guess you haven't paid enough tax in previous months but are now up to date.

BR tax code would only be wrong if you don't have income of over £12570 from another source. If your income from elsewhere is less than this then call HMRC and get them to spilt your tax code between your two incomes.
Thank you for this explanation it does make sense .

• Heart
Reactions: 3
If you left a group chat on fb messenger but are on good terms with the participants of that group individually, would you still expect to be invited to do things with them?

If you left a group chat on fb messenger but are on good terms with the participants of that group individually, would you still expect to be invited to do things with them?
I can't see why you wouldn't be invited if you are still on good terms with them, I guess you might be a little out the loop on some news since I assume they will still talk on the group chat but surely they would catch you up

Any ideas on what I could get as a thank you for my counsellor? Want to get something small to say thank you when our last session rolls round

Any ideas on what I could get as a thank you for my counsellor? Want to get something small to say thank you when our last session rolls round
I got mine a notebook, she was a stationery buff but also it’s useful for lists, notes etc. I got it from Getting Personal and had her first name put on with some joke about world domination

I don’t know if anyone has been through something similar …

A few days ago, I received an offer for an internal role in a different department. My manager is not aware and HR told me not to tell him until I get certain forms. I was due to get them by today COB to “resign” tomorrow but I did not receive them.

On the same day I got my offer, literally two hours later, my manager asked me to be part of an interview panel for a set of interviews to replace someone else in the team. I accepted thinking I’d have resigned by the time the interviews came around.

Fast forward, I have not received my documentation and thus cannot resign yet. I’m worried the HR contact in charge of the replacement role will tell the HR contact handling my move (tell them I’m interviewing people) and that I’m in a sort of conflict of interest. I’m worried this may be the reason why I haven’t received my documentation.

I absolutely hate my current team and hate they put me in this position when they’ve refuse to give me any leadership title and took my promotion away from me to give it to a male yet want me on an interview panel for gender diversity purposes.

The new role would be an upwards move and I’m worried they’re going to mess this up for me by getting me involved in a process I shouldn’t be involved if I’m moving.

The interview was scheduled yesterday for tomorrow and I thought I’d be able to resign today but it didn’t happen since the docs are still pending. I don’t know what to do 😑

Depends why you left, leaving sends a string message you don’t want to be part of it. You’ve voluntarily taken yourself out of the loop if they organise things via the group chat.

However if you said something like ‘guys I can’t keep up with the chat and keep getting confused so I’m going to come out of it but please let me know any important plans’ or ‘I’m too busy with work for a few weeks and I hate to see what I’m missing out on, will rejoin when I have more time’ then fair enough and you should be involved.

Reactions: 3

A few days ago, I received an offer for an internal role in a different department. My manager is not aware and HR told me not to tell him until I get certain forms. I was due to get them by today COB to “resign” tomorrow but I did not receive them.

On the same day I got my offer, literally two hours later, my manager asked me to be part of an interview panel for a set of interviews to replace someone else in the team. I accepted thinking I’d have resigned by the time the interviews came around.

Fast forward, I have not received my documentation and thus cannot resign yet. I’m worried the HR contact in charge of the replacement role will tell the HR contact handling my move (tell them I’m interviewing people) and that I’m in a sort of conflict of interest. I’m worried this may be the reason why I haven’t received my documentation.

I absolutely hate my current team and hate they put me in this position when they’ve refuse to give me any leadership title and took my promotion away from me to give it to a male yet want me on an interview panel for gender diversity purposes.

The new role would be an upwards move and I’m worried they’re going to mess this up for me by getting me involved in a process I shouldn’t be involved if I’m moving.

The interview was scheduled yesterday for tomorrow and I thought I’d be able to resign today but it didn’t happen since the docs are still pending. I don’t know what to do 😑
I've read this three times just to make sure I'm understanding it. I don't think you're in any sort of conflict of interest. You could be on the interview panel and still move to your new position.

I can understand why you are stressed. I get a bit jumpy too when there are delays on things. I think it would be sensible to contact them first thing on Monday if you haven't received them. In the meantime try and enjoy your weekend (I'm making the assumption you work Mon to Fri, sorry if that's wrong). It sounds like your situation will work out well.

Reactions: 6
I've read this three times just to make sure I'm understanding it. I don't think you're in any sort of conflict of interest. You could be on the interview panel and still move to your new position.

I can understand why you are stressed. I get a bit jumpy too when there are delays on things. I think it would be sensible to contact them first thing on Monday if you haven't received them. In the meantime try and enjoy your weekend (I'm making the assumption you work Mon to Fri, sorry if that's wrong). It sounds like your situation will work out well.
Thank you for your reassuring words :)

You’re right. I’m not interviewing my own replacement after all.

Monday is a public holiday over here, so that stresses me out even more. My HR contact told me to reach out if I don’t get anything by Thursday (yesterday). So I might drop them a line tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday. I don’t want to bother them as I know they’re busy.

I also don't think it's anything to do with interviews and more with how slow HR teams can be. I don't remember ever getting anything on time from HR at any place I've ever worked at

Reactions: 1
Needing advice about the process of selling a house.

Basically some people on my street are selling their house, which makes me happy because it’s been difficult to live peacefully sometimes. They said they are moving in 5 weeks. If they know when they’re moving does that mean contracts have been signed? I’m trying not to get too excited 😆

Needing advice about the process of selling a house.

Basically some people on my street are selling their house, which makes me happy because it’s been difficult to live peacefully sometimes. They said they are moving in 5 weeks. If they know when they’re moving does that mean contracts have been signed? I’m trying not to get too excited 😆
I'd assume so, either that they have a house that will be ready in 5 weeks time an can afford both till its gone, so long as their houses sale doesn't fall through or the one they are buying doesnt fall through then I'd imagine if they said they will be moving in 5 weeks then they think it's going to be definite an maybe some paper work has been signed

Can’t get into my outhouse. It’s wooden doors with a star key for the lock (previous owners fitted the lock). The key is turning round in lock, but not unlocking. It’s possibly the amount of rain we have had that has maybe made the door swollen. Any tips? My tumble drier is in there and I’ve been trying to unlock it every night this week and lose my patience/rip the doors off. Last resort is a locksmith.

(Don’t judge me for using a drier 😫 it’s raining heavily, so can’t use the washing line)

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this, but I don't think it needs its own thread, so I'm going to ask here.
Do Premier Inn ever ask for ID?
My friend's daughter and her friend want to go on a trip somewhere in the UK next year, but they're only 17, meaning that they can't stay in a premier inn. However, it seems nowhere will take them under 18, so as they're both very sensible and mature, we wondered whether the best bet was for them to turn up and hope for the best? If they dress respectably and behave well, surely they won't ask for ID as they will look over 18? They just don't want to be turned away as they'll have nowhere to go and will be stuck.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this, but I don't think it needs its own thread, so I'm going to ask here.
Do Premier Inn ever ask for ID?
My friend's daughter and her friend want to go on a trip somewhere in the UK next year, but they're only 17, meaning that they can't stay in a premier inn. However, it seems nowhere will take them under 18, so as they're both very sensible and mature, we wondered whether the best bet was for them to turn up and hope for the best? If they dress respectably and behave well, surely they won't ask for ID as they will look over 18? They just don't want to be turned away as they'll have nowhere to go and will be stuck.
Unfortunately they can ask, and might do. Then again, they might not! But the risk is there. Can someone over 18 chaperone them? You don’t have to share with them, just be in the same hotel

Unfortunately they can ask, and might do. Then again, they might not! But the risk is there. Can someone over 18 chaperone them? You don’t have to share with them, just be in the same hotel
It does seem rather ridiculous, apparently neither of the parents wants to go, and apparently it was the 17 year olds idea and they were both planning it together. Also they're going north, when the parents are in the south.
I'd just tell them to take the risk, the girl is going with a boy who's obviously very tall, and wouldn't really look 17 I don't think. I've looked online and a lot of people have said that they've never been asked for ID at a premier Inn.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.