The advice thread for random problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We had a big leak downstairs and kitchen end panels and plinths were damaged along with flooring, skirting boards, oak doors etc. It's a huge space and Insurers have offered us a cash settlement which is too low to even cover the flooring costs. But our kitchen supplier have discontinued our kitchen so no longer have any of the things we need to repair. Because they have to replace a like for like and our kitchen is no longer available will they have to replace the kitchen or just say tough tit, accept the money or get fucked? I don't know how any of it works as have never claimed for anything. We've tried calling them but they don't work Saturdays. Which I would have thought would have been their busiest day!
It will all depend on wording of the policy. Unless you have a very good policy I would be surprised if they would be willing to replace the whole thing. But don’t settle quickly, fight it. They hope you’ll take the cash and move on.

Reactions: 2
We had a big leak downstairs and kitchen end panels and plinths were damaged along with flooring, skirting boards, oak doors etc. It's a huge space and Insurers have offered us a cash settlement which is too low to even cover the flooring costs. But our kitchen supplier have discontinued our kitchen so no longer have any of the things we need to repair. Because they have to replace a like for like and our kitchen is no longer available will they have to replace the kitchen or just say tough tit, accept the money or get fucked? I don't know how any of it works as have never claimed for anything. We've tried calling them but they don't work Saturdays. Which I would have thought would have been their busiest day!
I would go back to them and ask for a breakdown of how they have calculated the cash settlement amount, I say this assuming you’ve had an assessor out to asses the damage? I would also make them aware that the kitchen longer available and see what they say. Being honest they are not going to replace the entire kitchen for this reason alone but they should be challenged esp when there is damage to other doors etc. they should be able to give you a breakdown for how they have calculated the settlement, they do sometimes make a “reasonable” deduction for wear and tear. The only way they could significantly reduce your cash settlement amount is if you had grossly under insured your property

Have I been rude?
My daughter 23 is currently downstairs with her boyfriend of a few months watching TV. I went down to get a drink from the kitchen.. She shouted through to me coukd I come to help with the TV.. I said I couldn't.. (I had no bra on lol.. Was only running into kitchen) the house literally stunk of a v strong garlic smell.. I knew they had had food delivered earlier.. So I called through to her asking what the smell was.. Saying its really strong garlic.. They both answered that they didn't have garlic... So I asked what they had ordered as it wS really strong smell.. She said chicken strips!
So I went back up to my room and mi utes later I get a barrage of texts from her saying iam rude and embarrassed myself and her.. That I shouldn't act that way in front of a guest.. That usually she would bite my head off but she wanted to play it down to her boyfriend.. Etc etc.
So now iam sitting upstairs wondering if I was rude? I didn't say it in a mean way or anything.. I was just asking.
She said what if he tells people what it's like here? What does that even mean?
All because I asked about the garlic smell?
I felt like I can't trust my own judgement anymore?

Have I been rude?
My daughter 23 is currently downstairs with her boyfriend of a few months watching TV. I went down to get a drink from the kitchen.. She shouted through to me coukd I come to help with the TV.. I said I couldn't.. (I had no bra on lol.. Was only running into kitchen) the house literally stunk of a v strong garlic smell.. I knew they had had food delivered earlier.. So I called through to her asking what the smell was.. Saying its really strong garlic.. They both answered that they didn't have garlic... So I asked what they had ordered as it wS really strong smell.. She said chicken strips!
So I went back up to my room and mi utes later I get a barrage of texts from her saying iam rude and embarrassed myself and her.. That I shouldn't act that way in front of a guest.. That usually she would bite my head off but she wanted to play it down to her boyfriend.. Etc etc.
So now iam sitting upstairs wondering if I was rude? I didn't say it in a mean way or anything.. I was just asking.
doesn't sound rude to me, not sure what you've done out of that that would be considered rude besides not going into the room? Did you greet him earlier on when he arrived?

Maybe her boyfriend stinks of garlic all the time and that's why she's embarrassed 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Have I been rude?
Did she say exactly what you did or is it the “if you don’t know I won’t tell you?”

doesn't sound rude to me, not sure what you've done out of that that would be considered rude besides not going into the room? Did you greet him earlier on when he arrived?

Maybe her boyfriend stinks of garlic all the time and that's why she's embarrassed 😂
Lol thanks! It was definitely the food not him ha ha.. I can't believe such a strong smell was from chicken strips! I honestly thought it must be kebabs ha ha.
I didn't greet him when he arrived.. Because daughter wants me upstairs out the way.. I did say hello to him earlier though then we were both in the kitchen.
Iam feeling a bit tit tbh.. Wondering if iam going to face her wrath tomorrow when he leaves.

Did she say exactly what you did or is it the “if you don’t know I won’t tell you?”
Yes she said it was me asking what they had ordered and saying it smelt bad. She says this was rude and embarrassing and I should be ashamed of myself.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Lol thanks! It was definitely the food not him ha ha.. I can't believe such a strong smell was from chicken strips! I honestly thought it must be kebabs ha ha.
I didn't greet him when he arrived.. Because daughter wants me upstairs out the way.. I did say hello to him earlier though then we were both in the kitchen.
Iam feeling a bit tit tbh.. Wondering if iam going to face her wrath tomorrow when he leaves.

Yes she said it was me asking what they had ordered and saying it smelt bad. She says this was rude and embarrassing and I should be ashamed of myself.
I don't think that's rude sorry. It's just a comment. My mum would embarrass me far more than that. I assume it's your house?

I wouldn't have asked about the smell, it smelt of food, you knew they were getting food delivered, I'm not sure why you needed to comment.

Reminds me of a colleague who any time anyone ever ate any hot food in the office would make a big loud performance going on about the stink etc. Made people feel very awkward.

I think you will have made the bf feel awkward and uncomfortable - and therefore I would say it's a bit rude, albeit clearly not deliberately so.

I wouldn't have asked about the smell, it smelt of food, you knew they were getting food delivered, I'm not sure why you needed to comment.

Reminds me of a colleague who any time anyone ever ate any hot food in the office would make a big loud performance going on about the stink etc. Made people feel very awkward.

I think you will have made the bf feel awkward and uncomfortable - and therefore I would say it's a bit rude, albeit clearly not deliberately so.
I wouldn't have commented at all if she hadn't started a conversation with me asking me to help with the TV.. My plan was just to run to kitchen get a drink and run upstairs.. Even though the smell hit me straight away I would have said a thing only she opened a dialogue with me. And I don't think I mafe a performance of it.. I just asked if they had had garlic and what had they ordered because it stunk lol. If I had said that to my son and his gf they wouldn't have been bothered at all.. Probably had a laugh about the smell lol..

Reactions: 1

The fact she’s made you feel like this in your own home is a bit tit tbh! If I came downstairs and smelled garlic, I’d be like “ooh who had garlic?” It’s not like you tweeted it?!

Have I been rude?
I would think your daughter's being rude tbh, it's your house an it was just a question, it's only natural to ask what it was if it smelled strong, I assume the chicken might have garlic in it (most fast food places use garlic salt in food)

Maybe it's just my family but firstly I'd have been told to fk right off if I told my parent to go to their room an a good kick up the ass if I sent those txt messages, then told if that's how I feel then go to theirs next time because they won't be coming back 😂

Honestly if she's worried about what he's going tell people then says alot about him tbh, first time my brother brought his other half over my parents argued over dinner then my dad ripped the utter piss out my brother, my brother's been married 4 years now 😅

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
The fact she’s made you feel like this in your own home is a bit tit tbh! If I came downstairs and smelled garlic, I’d be like “ooh who had garlic?” It’s not like you tweeted it?!
Thank you! Iam feeling uneasy and worried about her reaction tomorrow.. She seems convinced that I have behaved terribly and boyfriend coukd tell their Co workers on Monday. She does have a tendency to over react and I do walk on egg shells a lot so I should have just kept my mouth shut in hindsight.

• Heart
Reactions: 1

i’m sorry, this girl is TWENTY THREE YEARS OLD?!

she had no right to treat you like that in your own house over absolutely nothing. you smelt a strong smell of garlic, you asked who’d had garlic. end of. when i read your post without checking the age i assumed she was a moody teen but a 20+ year old has a nerve acting like this tbh. you’re not in the wrong in any way.

Reactions: 12
Thank you! Iam feeling uneasy and worried about her reaction tomorrow.. She seems convinced that I have behaved terribly and boyfriend coukd tell their Co workers on Monday. She does have a tendency to over react and I do walk on egg shells a lot so I should have just kept my mouth shut in hindsight.
Why should you have kept your mouth shut? You were asking about a smell in your own home. I personally think that was a normal dialogue? I could understand if it stunk of dog and her boyfriend was smelling of it normally but ordering food and asking about garlic is fine. She's a 23 year old women, not a teenager who has to go to school on monday worried her boyfriend will tell all her mates her mum is embarrassing.

if it helps at all, my mum has done far more embarrasing things than ask what a smell is. My mum once shouted at my friend for getting mud on the carpet (in her defence the carpet was brand new)😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
That’s awful, you shouldn’t be made to feel like this in your own home. Even if he tells his co-workers so what, are they going to come after you with pitchforks because you asked why there was a garlic smell?! Are these all very juvenile coworkers?

Reactions: 5
Thank you all! Iam feeling much better. I didn't do anything wrong.. I asked a simple normal question in my own house. No harm was meant.

• Heart
Thank you all! Iam feeling much better. I didn't do anything wrong.. I asked a simple normal question in my own house. No harm was meant.
Is she paying half all the bills an rent etc if not then I'd remind her she's in your house, you were kind enough to go to your room in the first place so she could have the living room (none of the parents in my family would have done that) an there's no need to be so rude an maybe next time you won't be so kind as to sit in your room

Have I been rude?
I think the comment was a bit of a mood killer. Ask yourself how you would feel if you were in her shoes and someone came by and commented the same things. It puts a big damper on the date.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.