The advice thread for random problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was on the pill on and off since I was 18 - currently 31, progesterone only. Stopped my periods completely, always took pregnancy tests periodically and was paranoid.

Stopped taking the pill aged 29 for a year during the pandemic cause I needed to get my blood pressure checked and also just generally couldn't be bothered. Got my periods back and they were like clockwork, used a tracker app and always accurate. However started with unexplained pelvic pain monthly and I couldn't bend over, get out of bed etc. when it was happening.

Currently waiting for a gynaecology appointment to investigate further but it was recommended by two different doctors I got back on the pill ASAP to manage my symptoms. I have done and it's massively helped but I'm worried being on the pill since I was 18 has basically masked symptoms. Looking for further advice and discussion as well 😔
Yeah I am noticing my IBS symptoms have piled on since being off it. I get the odd day but the flair up has been quite bad. I eat relatively healthy, get more than my 5 a day, exercise and all that so I don't think it's my lifestyle and nothing has changed.

You might find the thread periods helpful, am not sure how to link but it's in the advice section

Personally I was on and off it for years because of my performing an it's left me messed up now, I don't have a pattern, I can be super early or super late, can go between either massively heavy or really light as well, if I could have gotten away with it then I wouldn't have taken it in the first place because I feel there's no fixing mine now, I'd also get insane pains with mine an some have told me to be checked for endometriosis so if you are being sick with them then I'd see about being checked for that and also if you have anemia, anemia could explain the fatigue so maybe taking an iron supplement may help, but it is something best spoken to a doctor with
So i had a blood test and my iron levels are fine. I am thinking I may have PMD(D?) because mentally I take a huge plunge before and during
like I get quite suicidal. not enough to do anything but enough that I am thinking about it. This period I had a horrible moment looking at my curtain pole and had to take myself off to bed.

I just don't know what to do for the best. A bit of me thinks maybe I should leave it for awhile and see if things improve as it's only the 1st month but the other part of me thinks that it's not worth the stress. I will head over to the period thread though!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Yeah I am noticing my IBS symptoms have piled on since being off it. I get the odd day but the flair up has been quite bad. I eat relatively healthy, get more than my 5 a day, exercise and all that so I don't think it's my lifestyle and nothing has changed.

So i had a blood test and my iron levels are fine. I am thinking I may have PMD(D?) because mentally I take a huge plunge before and during
like I get quite suicidal. not enough to do anything but enough that I am thinking about it. This period I had a horrible moment looking at my curtain pole and had to take myself off to bed.

I just don't know what to do for the best. A bit of me thinks maybe I should leave it for awhile and see if things improve as it's only the 1st month but the other part of me thinks that it's not worth the stress. I will head over to the period thread though!
Oh no 🙁 I like the Flo PMS vitamins for pmdd. they’re now called O Positiv. They work so well for me, I sent the brand an email pretending to have untold allergies just to be sure they didn’t contain more than vitamins and herbs. I’m not convinced lol but they’re honestly great and if your doctors don’t do something for you, I honestly recommend the supplement 💗

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Has anyone here taken out the floor part of a fire hearth, the bit that sticks out? Was it easy or hard?
I have this hearth that comes out into my room and takes up space and would like to put my table and chairs there.
The fireplace isn't used and never will be. its two bricks high with ties ontop

Oh no 🙁 I like the Flo PMS vitamins for pmdd. they’re now called O Positiv. They work so well for me, I sent the brand an email pretending to have untold allergies just to be sure they didn’t contain more than vitamins and herbs. I’m not convinced lol but they’re honestly great and if your doctors don’t do something for you, I honestly recommend the supplement 💗
oh amazing thank you I will look into it!

Has anyone here taken out the floor part of a fire hearth, the bit that sticks out? Was it easy or hard?
I have this hearth that comes out into my room and takes up space and would like to put my table and chairs there.
The fireplace isn't used and never will be. its two bricks high with ties ontop
If I wanted to do this, I'd go at it with a mallet and a bolster or brick chisel, but I'm pretty competent and confident with this sort of thing, including the making it-nice-after-the-hammering part.
Thing is, you'll have a gap in your flooring where it was and potentially a pretty untidy finish to the floor and in particular where the hearth meets the fire surround/ wall. You may find it comes up off the sub floor OK with a chisel but you will probably need to fill some gouges in the floor before laying some flooring and make the surround/wall whatever nice in whatever way works. Is the surround more brick, or something else?

If I wanted to do this, I'd go at it with a mallet and a bolster or brick chisel, but I'm pretty competent and confident with this sort of thing, including the making it-nice-after-the-hammering part.
Thing is, you'll have a gap in your flooring where it was and potentially a pretty untidy finish to the floor and in particular where the hearth meets the fire surround/ wall. You may find it comes up off the sub floor OK with a chisel but you will probably need to fill some gouges in the floor before laying some flooring and make the surround/wall whatever nice in whatever way works. Is the surround more brick, or something else?

I'm getting new flooring so wanted this done before that. I've always been very good at DIY -even built my own kitchen 20 years ago- but now I can't do it as I don't have the arm strength anymore.

The surround is also brick.

I'm getting new flooring so wanted this done before that. I've always been very good at DIY -even built my own kitchen 20 years ago- but now I can't do it as I don't have the arm strength anymore.

The surround is also brick.
Ah, gotcha. This is likely "handyman" territory, so I'd say have a crack at it yourself and if the mallet doesn't do all the work for you, any handy type could probably knock it out for you.
You'll definitely need the ex-hearth part filled decently level before the floor is laid - depending on who's laying it, they might refuse to do it if it's at all lumpy (I've experienced similar, fuming).

As for the finish to the brick surround, if it's not already painted I'd suggest painting it so that you can fill any digs/ holes/gaps with any old crappy polyfiller and paint over it.
If it wouldn't look mental with your set-up, you could even continue a matching skirting board around the brickwork that you're left with, thereby negating the need for a great deal of fixing after knocking the hearth out.

Hopefully the hearth isn't deep solid concrete or anything - that would certainly present a much bigger problem which would probably be beyond our capabilities to level.

Got a damp problem in my hallway and up the stairs. Someone from a reputable company came to have a look and said they need to take the plaster off, put some layers of (insert damp proof jargon here) to stop the wall from being wet then replaster. The wall is also freezing cold at the moment, he said this will fix that problem. Has anyone had similar and had it fixed? Going to cost a bomb lol😓

Reactions: 1
Got a damp problem in my hallway and up the stairs. Someone from a reputable company came to have a look and said they need to take the plaster off, put some layers of (insert damp proof jargon here) to stop the wall from being wet then replaster. The wall is also freezing cold at the moment, he said this will fix that problem. Has anyone had similar and had it fixed? Going to cost a bomb lol😓
What is in the other side of that wall? The moisture has to come from somewhere and usually it will have a cavity to prevent moisture coming from outside. Is the damp rising from the floor?

In relation to the part of your post under the spoiler. You don't happen to suffer with migraines do you? The only reason I ask is that I have a weird type of migraine condition and one of the symptoms connected to it was that I'd (having never really suffered with pmt previously) become so suicidally depressed I couldn't get out of bed. This was only during the 24 hours before my period started and would happen suddenly like flicking a switch and lift just as quickly once my period began. It was incredibly frightening because it was so sudden and the feeling was overwhelming. Between that and severe ovulation pain I decided going on the depo injection was the only way to manage it.

• Heart
What is in the other side of that wall? The moisture has to come from somewhere and usually it will have a cavity to prevent moisture coming from outside. Is the damp rising from the floor?
He said it is coming through the wall. Not rising damp. The other side of the wall is the outside lol

They’re going to put something on to stop it coming through. The wall was very cold

He said it is coming through the wall. Not rising damp. The other side of the wall is the outside lol

They’re going to put something on to stop it coming through. The wall was very cold
Have you had a second opinion? If it is a standard brick house there should be a cavity to prevent penetration from the outside.

Have you had a second opinion? If it is a standard brick house there should be a cavity to prevent penetration from the outside.
It’s a rendered house. There’s a lot of jargon I didn’t quite understand/forgot 😅😅😅 he said rendered houses are usually colder but my wall was about 7 degrees 😅

It’s a rendered house. There’s a lot of jargon I didn’t quite understand/forgot 😅😅😅 he said rendered houses are usually colder but my wall was about 7 degrees 😅
Are there any issues with the external render?

In relation to the part of your post under the spoiler. You don't happen to suffer with migraines do you? The only reason I ask is that I have a weird type of migraine condition and one of the symptoms connected to it was that I'd (having never really suffered with pmt previously) become so suicidally depressed I couldn't get out of bed. This was only during the 24 hours before my period started and would happen suddenly like flicking a switch and lift just as quickly once my period began. It was incredibly frightening because it was so sudden and the feeling was overwhelming. Between that and severe ovulation pain I decided going on the depo injection was the only way to manage it.
I don't suffer from migraines but m depression is the same. It's like one night I am like that and the next day I am back to my cheery self. It is so jarring!

I don't really get period pain but I get IBS pain. Since stopping the pill though I have noticed a pain in my right side and that my reflux is back. I haven't had to take reflux medicine for over a year. I am going to ring the doctors tomorrow about it and see what the best thing going forward is.

Thank you for replying also!

Do you know what date your house was built? Do you know if the house was made from bricks or stone (if you can't see clearly, look at a neighbours - it should be similar)

It’s probably solid brick as cavity walls didn’t really start to be popular until after the war.

If there is a build up of soil/debris/leaves outside over the damp course/ footings, that might be a possible cause for the damp. You could try scraping it away from the house with a spade, then paint over that area inside and out with damp proof treatment.
Have you tried looking on YouTube? I always find their DIY tutorials very useful.
Could you have blocked guttering with the water dripping down the wall?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.