The advice thread for random problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you all so much for your comments, I was being unreasonable because they are family. It was a lot easier when we just had one child but I think they don't realise how hard it can be having three children to look after and how much time it can take to get everything together for a birthday. I'm going to speak to my husband today, he supports my view when I speak to him but I try not to make to big a deal of it to him because its his family. I think you're right though, I need to put my foot down more or it will never stop. Thank you for your help 💜

Reactions: 5
Thank you all so much for your comments, I was being unreasonable because they are family. It was a lot easier when we just had one child but I think they don't realise how hard it can be having three children to look after and how much time it can take to get everything together for a birthday. I'm going to speak to my husband today, he supports my view when I speak to him but I try not to make to big a deal of it to him because its his family. I think you're right though, I need to put my foot down more or it will never stop. Thank you for your help 💜
Honestly I may be way off but is smacks of people who think stay at home Mums are just having a jolly with their kids and ‘aren’t working, it’s not like a real job’.
Suggest to them that they have the party at a cleaner’s, or nanny’s or teacher’s or accountant’s or chef’s or psychologist’s or handy man’s etc house because they should have just as much time on their hands as you do to organise, prep and tidy from it all.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Has anyone ever gotten from Amazon an sent it back if it's no good? How easy of a process is it? Am looking at something quite expensive, reviews are definitely mixed on if they will come without being mostly broken or if they will come totally fine, it says I have till end January to return them but since I've never returned anything I've gotten off Amazon before I don't know what it's like

Has anyone ever gotten from Amazon an sent it back if it's no good? How easy of a process is it? Am looking at something quite expensive, reviews are definitely mixed on if they will come without being mostly broken or if they will come totally fine, it says I have till end January to return them but since I've never returned anything I've gotten off Amazon before I don't know what it's like
Yes, and if you select accidental order or of not up to description it will be a free return too. The only time I have had an issue is when it is not dispatched by amazon and the seller is a bit of a pain but Amazon will always sort it for you.

Reactions: 4
It's pretty easy for the stuff I've bought, but not sure if it's different if you're buying something bulky. For me it was just doing a return on the app, then taking it back to a shop nearby that does Amazon returns. You don't even need to put it in a box apparently,though i still did.

Reactions: 2
Thanks, I think it's being dispatched by Amazon themselves, hopefully it will be fine but at least if not I know it should be a easy enough refund to do

Reactions: 1
Thanks, I think it's being dispatched by Amazon themselves, hopefully it will be fine but at least if not I know it should be a easy enough refund to do
It’s mega easy. I do it monthly (order a lot for business)
I returned 9 items yesterday and Royal mail picked them up from my porch for free! They also do locker returns where you can select a local place with Amazon lockers, they give you a code and you take it and put it in for them to collect. Or regular Evri drop off (various shops) or Royal Mail Mail Drop off where you have the option to print a label and attach it or get a QR code sent that they scan at the post office so you don’t even need a printer.
I often get the refund notification as soon as it’s gone from the post office.
I know Amazon is the enemy being a tax dodging giant but their customer service is second to none.
I’ve been refunded small items without having to return, sent a new free 12 boxes of kleenex because I was only sent 11, had the return deadline extended because I missed it etc, (never had an issue when it’s dispatched from Amazon)

It’s mega easy. I do it monthly (order a lot for business)
I returned 9 items yesterday and Royal mail picked them up from my porch for free! They also do locker returns where you can select a local place with Amazon lockers, they give you a code and you take it and put it in for them to collect. Or regular Evri drop off (various shops) or Royal Mail Mail Drop off where you have the option to print a label and attach it or get a QR code sent that they scan at the post office so you don’t even need a printer.
I often get the refund notification as soon as it’s gone from the post office.
I know Amazon is the enemy being a tax dodging giant but their customer service is second to none.
I’ve been refunded small items without having to return, sent a new free 12 boxes of kleenex because I was only sent 11, had the return deadline extended because I missed it etc, (never had an issue when it’s dispatched from Amazon)
Good to know they are so good, am waiting on it coming down in price anyway, it annoys me Walmart has it almost half the price than what Amazon is taken but they don't ship to the UK, so hopefully it comes down in price over Xmas on Amazon an if they are broken then they can go back

Good to know they are so good, am waiting on it coming down in price anyway, it annoys me Walmart has it almost half the price than what Amazon is taken but they don't ship to the UK, so hopefully it comes down in price over Xmas on Amazon an if they are broken then they can go back
I have yet to receive an Ali express shipment since my address got cut off by accident while using the autofill feature on my phone, but the best prices I’m finding are on their site — better than Walmart and better than Amazon.* I’m impatient to see if the products are legitimate.

*Before anyone comes for me, I have no qualms paying $3 to aliexpress for miscellaneous things that I need when sellers over here are not adding any value to the experience and simply marking the same items up 😒

I have yet to receive an Ali express shipment since my address got cut off by accident while using the autofill feature on my phone, but the best prices I’m finding are on their site — better than Walmart and better than Amazon.* I’m impatient to see if the products are legitimate.

*Before anyone comes for me, I have no qualms paying $3 to aliexpress for miscellaneous things that I need when sellers over here are not adding any value to the experience and simply marking the same items up 😒
I Aliexpress worth it? I looked at it once but just looked like they were selling loads of tat

Would you still save money if you used a parcel forwarding service from the US?

I Aliexpress worth it? I looked at it once but just looked like they were selling loads of tat
If I want something off Amazon I’ll check the price on aliexpress first. When Amazon/ a brand charges this much for plastic:
FDA30C34-207E-4EB1-AA88-7D19F62D1B96.jpeg

and the same thing is on aliexpress:

FCEC8EEF-A4F5-4FCF-8B6D-993B6E434964.jpeg

it’s worth investigating aliexpress in my eyes. Like I said though, I’m still waiting for my first delivery! For all I know, AE could be using cheaper quality materials. Hopefully I’ll find out soon..

Reactions: 3
If I want something off Amazon I’ll check the price on aliexpress first. When Amazon/ a brand charges this much for plastic:
View attachment 1789977

and the same thing is on aliexpress:

View attachment 1789980

it’s worth investigating aliexpress in my eyes. Like I said though, I’m still waiting for my first delivery! For all I know, AE could be using cheaper quality materials. Hopefully I’ll find out soon..
Nah, that looks exactly the same. Let me know how it goes. I'm always up for a ba

Would you still save money if you used a parcel forwarding service from the US?
If the price drops on Amazon then it might cost the same from the US if shipping got added since I don't suppose it's going to be light, right now it's £200 on Amazon an $130 from Walmart

I have had a look at AliExpress but I feel like they a bit like wish an am worried about fakes from them

Not a problem as such but hoping you all can help.
I need to write something formal indicating that I have ties to a place.
If I used the term ‘some’ so ‘I have been visiting for some 20 years’ would that imply 20+ years, nearly 20 years?
I don’t want to mislead but I don’t want to be specific. Thanks

If I used the term ‘some’ so ‘I have been visiting for some 20 years’ would that imply 20+ years, nearly 20 years?
I think “some” indicates there or thereabouts? Or circa?

It's used interchangeably these days but I think it's meant to be for over 20 years. That is, not less than.

How about :
I have been visiting for around 20 years?
I have been visiting for approx. 20 years?

Reactions: 6
Hi everyone. Had no idea this thread existed but im hoping or some work related advice....

I have been band 5 (NHS) for 10 years now and have an interview next week for band 6 post. I feel like I'm already trying to talk myself out of it. I do like my current job, it's a 5 min drive from my house and the hours are great. 3 days and I can pick up a 4th day as and when I want. Its also patient facing but without being too heavy on the clinical side I.e I'm not doing any hard physical work.

The band 6 role is not a fixed base of work so I'd be expected to drive to several locations throughout my area, the longest ones away being about a 50 minute drive each way and potentially the struggle to park at health centres. There is however the option to potentially work from home 1 day per week.

I'm undecided as my head tells me I should progress (for financial reasons mainly) but my heart says stay in the job that is close to home... better the devil you know kind of thing.

I think I put unnecessary pressure on myself thinking I should climb the ladder and better myself but perhaps less stress and mental health out weighs that? I can survive on my current band 5 salary as I have a partner too but obviously increase in pay is always welcomed.

Any thoughts?

I would say trust your heart. You don't have anything to prove to anyone. What's the point of going up a band for so much extra hassle with the small gain you get in wages you miss out on time and have to pay for extra petrol + wear and tear on your car ?

Three days a week sounds like a nice alternative to " 50 minute drive each way + struggle to park at health centres.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.