The advice thread for random problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yep, I am banned by my hubby! 😅 I will do in rooms with extractors, so kitchen and bathroom, and I do sometimes sneak things that just need the thickest hems etc finishing off after they've been on the line. Never straight from the washing machine though. I have no idea what we will do this winter, as I'm really trying to avoid the cost of the tumble drier.
I'm the daughter of a builder/painter/decorator so was frequently told never dry washing indoors

We don't have a tumble dryer so have no choice really. I tend to do an extra spin, windows open and dehumidifier. I also try and use the laundrette for bedding and towels when I can so they aren't drying inside.

Reactions: 1
I’d just like to give a different perspective.
I’m similar to your brother tbh. And that doesn’t mean our issues should be your issues or that it is right.
But the last time I saw my whole family, all together, probably 2012-ish. I asked my parents not to invite my brothers partner who he has been with for years.
I on the other hand barely knew her as my whole family live in Africa. Anyway it wasn’t because I disliked her, I barely see my family and just wanted to spend time with them and not somebody that is a stranger to me.
This was also only for a week we all went away together and after that she was included in everything
Could you possibly have a few socials with your brother and her included? So that he doesn’t feel a stranger is intruding on his holiday
I believe in your example, you were unfortunately putting your needs before others. What for you was so bad about there being a "stranger" come along? Your brother's partner of six years is not a stranger. How do you expect to get to know a person if you don't mix with them? How does a stranger no longer become a "stranger". How do you think this made your brother feel? How do you think it made his partner feel? How would you feel?

I get the sense you don't include this person as part of your "family". What a shame. I hope this individual didn't/doesn't feel ousted. Heck, what if they don't have a family or have never been on a family holiday?

There's something quite juvenile and spitting ones dummy out about your words.

As for the original poster (Centreparks) your brother is being a sulky hole.

Reactions: 12
I believe in your example, you were unfortunately putting your needs before others. What for you was so bad about there being a "stranger" come along? Your brother's partner of six years is not a stranger. How do you expect to get to know a person if you don't mix with them? How does a stranger no longer become a "stranger". How do you think this made your brother feel? How do you think it made his partner feel? How would you feel?

I get the sense you don't include this person as part of your "family". What a shame. I hope this individual didn't/doesn't feel ousted. Heck, what if they don't have a family or have never been on a family holiday?

There's something quite juvenile and spitting ones dummy out about your words.

As for the original poster (Centreparks) your brother is being a sulky hole.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But if I see my family only every 2-3 years then I feel I can be selfish with my time.
Do I care if she felt left out? Not really. Did I spit my dummy out? Why, because I was honest about how I felt.
Not everybody is the same and how boring would the world be if we were all like you

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But if I see my family only every 2-3 years then I feel I can be selfish with my time.
Do I care if she felt left out? Not really. Did I spit my dummy out? Why, because I was honest about how I felt.
Not everybody is the same and how boring would the world be if we were all like you
But she’s your brother’s family, at what point would you be willing to accept her? I take it you didn’t take a partner or spouse with you. What a way to bring your family together. If I was your brother I wouldn’t have come.

Reactions: 8
But she’s your brother’s family, at what point would you be willing to accept her? I take it you didn’t take a partner or spouse with you. What a way to bring your family together. If I was your brother I wouldn’t have come.
Luckily your not my brother nor are they still together. He is now married to somebody else who is universally hated by the whole family. And I’ve only met her at their wedding so this one can’t be blamed on me 😂

Luckily your not my brother nor are they still together. He is now married to somebody else who is universally hated by the whole family. And I’ve only met her at their wedding so this one can’t be blamed on me 😂
Wow, clearly you guys as a family sound so lovely :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I’m at my wits end with virgin media, is anyone else having issues? The signal strength is full so they say it’s fine but none of my devices will connect 😡 There’s clearly an issue as my hub has been replaced and the devices are all different but having the same issue. It happens all over the house and the hub is out in the open so no issues there. I’m fed up of listening to their crappy hold music for hours on end.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Need some advice on food. I made stew in my slow cooker last night, turned it off at about 7pm. Stew was piping hot. Went to bed at 9.30pm and forgot to put it in the fridge. Will it be okay to eat if I heat it up before I do?

Need some advice on food. I made stew in my slow cooker last night, turned it off at about 7pm. Stew was piping hot. Went to bed at 9.30pm and forgot to put it in the fridge. Will it be okay to eat if I heat it up before I do?
I’ve done it before, and lived to tell the tale. Not sure it’s what Food Safety Standard websites recommend but I do it on the regular

Reactions: 5

Yes, I often forgot to put things in the fridge.

I’ve done it before, and lived to tell the tale. Not sure it’s what Food Safety Standard websites recommend but I do it on the regular
To add, food safety wise. Bacteria will form/live between 8-65 ish degrees c. OP, if you chill/freeze it now to stop bacteria forming then reheat to over 70c for 2 mins when reheating any bacteria will be killed. General principle for all foods.

Reactions: 4
Usually I forget to put stuff away an I normally leave stuff out to defrost over night but the house is always really cold during the night so it's been fine for me, am not sure what it would be like if it's been kept kindi warm all night though, I'd maybe treat it like rice though an cook it till its scolding hot just in case

I’m at my wits end with virgin media, is anyone else having issues? The signal strength is full so they say it’s fine but none of my devices will connect 😡 There’s clearly an issue as my hub has been replaced and the devices are all different but having the same issue. It happens all over the house and the hub is out in the open so no issues there. I’m fed up of listening to their crappy hold music for hours on end.
Yes, the new Virgin Media hubs are totally crap. I have trouble connecting on occasion in a room about 10 feet away and also losing connecting on an Amazon Alexa directly below the hub (Hub is on the upper floor, Alexa is in the kitchen).

• Heart
Anyone fly into London a lot? What airport would you recommend for ease with getting into roughly or round about the Russell Square area, the hotel will probably be booked somewhere that's close or close(ish) to Euston train station so I can get out to Watford easy enough, last time I went I took the train to King's Cross an honestly my trust in trains an their service has went downhill so I want to try flights now

Anyone fly into London a lot? What airport would you recommend for ease with getting into roughly or round about the Russell Square area, the hotel will probably be booked somewhere that's close or close(ish) to Euston train station so I can get out to Watford easy enough, last time I went I took the train to King's Cross an honestly my trust in trains an their service has went downhill so I want to try flights now
Stansted, Gatwick or Heathrow are easy if you use the dedicated airport express which I’ve found to be very reliable.
Tbh they’re all much of a muchness for central London if you’re prepared to hop on the tube. Heathrow tube will take you direct to Russel square or the take the Stansted express to Tottenham Hale. Jump on the tube here to change at Finsbury Park and straight to Russel sq.
For Euston, change at Kings Cross.

London city will be your closest into the city. Wouldn’t bother with Gatwick, and Heathrow is still a good 45 min journey away.

Reactions: 3
What is the dedicated airport express

And thanks, ideally I'd like to get the closest one that's easy enough to get too so to limit travel time on buses as I get travel sickness an honestly I have a fear of the tubes 😂 I'll walk 50 miles before I need to take one of those 5 miles

What is the dedicated airport express

And thanks, ideally I'd like to get the closest one that's easy enough to get too so to limit travel time on buses as I get travel sickness an honestly I have a fear of the tubes 😂 I'll walk 50 miles before I need to take one of those 5 miles
Heathrow is actually the quickest. You can take the tube to Heathrow or there’s an express train that goes direct for more money. It only takes 15 mins from Heathrow to Paddington on the express.

Stansted express is 50 mins to Liverpool Street, Gatwick Express is 30 mins to Victoria Station, Luton express is 40 mins to Kings Cross St Pancras. You could get to any of these then Uber/cab to the hotel to avoid the tube.

London City would indeed be the closest airport, it’s just very small so limited flights. You could take the DLR from here to Bank in about 20 mins and get a cab from Bank, again avoiding the tube.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.