The 1975

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Matty’s said in previous concerts that the next tour phones will be banned, As the people rushing to the front just want their videos for Tik tok. Not sure how they could implement that but would be interesting if they could do it.
Some comedy shows at the o2 require people to put their phones in a pouch that will unlock after the show. Might happen at other venues too?

Reactions: 4
The thing is, banning phones is great in a lot of ways, but has anyone been following team1975 on Instagram? A guy called Chris streamed the gorilla gig on his phone and people loved it so he started doing it with another fan, and encouraging donations for war child. They’ve just hit 75k. The fans, who can’t get to shows, donate what they can to be able to see the show. It’s a really lovely thing. And banning phones or playing smaller venues will only make camping culture and ticket touts even worse.
It was discussed a while back on this thread, and people made the point they could easily sneak phones in. I don’t think it’s possible to ban them completely, but I’m genuinely curious to know how many wouldn’t film anything if they were simply asked not to by the band. I don’t film the gig itself but I do like taking a picture of the curtain before they start, it’s a lovely memory.

Reactions: 1
I think one person sneaking in a phone isnt the problem, it’s the sea of phones. If they’re not allowed, I think most would oblige. Of course the one person sneaking it in is a bit of a twit for it

Reactions: 2
I think one person sneaking in a phone isnt the problem, it’s the sea of phones. If they’re not allowed, I think most would oblige. Of course the one person sneaking it in is a bit of a twit for it
Or if the band organised a live stream so people could still watch online that couldn’t make it to a show. It wouldn’t reduce the amount of ticket sales because people who are able to go would always rather be there.

There are still ways to get phones in even with the pouches but I think where it’s a minority doing it they aren’t enforcing it as much as they potentially could.

The thing is, banning phones is great in a lot of ways, but has anyone been following team1975 on Instagram? A guy called Chris streamed the gorilla gig on his phone and people loved it so he started doing it with another fan, and encouraging donations for war child. They’ve just hit 75k. The fans, who can’t get to shows, donate what they can to be able to see the show. It’s a really lovely thing. And banning phones or playing smaller venues will only make camping culture and ticket touts even worse.
It was discussed a while back on this thread, and people made the point they could easily sneak phones in. I don’t think it’s possible to ban them completely, but I’m genuinely curious to know how many wouldn’t film anything if they were simply asked not to by the band. I don’t film the gig itself but I do like taking a picture of the curtain before they start, it’s a lovely memory.
Tema75 live are such a lovely group of people doing things for such a worthy cause! Of course there will be people who will film everything (I have to say I have been guilty of this myself in the past😭) but what really needs to be done is to stop this camping there really is no need for it at all. And the people that are on barricade are sometimes just filming the whole thing anyways I saw a person say they saw someone with two phones recording everything!

This probably isn’t popular opinion but I’m dubious about Team75Live. No doubt Warchild is such a worthy cause. Where there seems to be a grey area which may not be known is around the winners of some of the prizes (or should I say the more desired prizes) have been miraculously won by people who are in the friendship group, or fringes of the friendship group, of those running the actual project.

I don’t begrudge people filming, it is what it is. Try and dodge the cameras and enjoy yourselves.

What I think is a joke is when the same 20 or so people camp to be barrier night in and night out. I’ve also noticed this leg of the tour when those same 20 people aren’t starting the actual lines (like they were mainly doing during the North American leg) they get all pissy on Twitter about it saying line leaders are poor or they don’t know line etiquette and the way it should be broadcast. Not everyone is a veteran in the line leading because they’re aren’t doing it for hundreds of shows, allow people their opportunity and don’t be so arsey. Why not actually teach them if the line stuff is going to continue or does it annoy your because you’re not number 4 in the queue as you didn’t start the line and instead you’re 40 so likely to be second row 🙄

I’ve seen the tweets there’s so much drama about the camping and people are just being hypocritical about it saying it shouldn’t happen but then they’re the ones starting lines etc. I just think it’s generally really unsafe and unnecessary and it doesn’t need to happen. You turn up at 11 to 1’oclock on the day of a show or ever later and your still guaranteed a great spot.

The best spot at any gig will always be about half way to the back. It’s just these idiot fan girls want to be as close to Matty as possible the sad acts.

The best spot at any gig will always be about half way to the back. It’s just these idiot fan girls want to be as close to Matty as possible the sad acts.
I find standing in the front row so uncomfortable because it’s like you have to perform for the artist too 🤣

Some interesting points. I’ve not been bothered by the people camping, although I do think three days before is silly.
I know a group of fans come from America to see them, and I think for such a big investment, and considering they have taken time off work anyway, I dont blame them for wanting to make the most of it. I think the camaraderie that I’ve seen with people camping is quite sweet, but I’ve not been on Twitter to see the bad side of it so my opinion isn’t fully formed!

I’m 5ft 3 so always go for seated, because if I was standing then unless I was at the front, I wouldn’t be able to see a thing. If I could guarantee I’d be at the front then yeah, id probably queue up early, though nothing on this earth would get me to camp.

Ive never considered the winners of the war child thing might be a bit… suspicious. Its all generally a nice community and a lot of people have engaged with the organisers in the past, me included so I suppose it would be easy to find links to them, but then again I don’t remember seeing anything about how they picked the winners so it could well have happened!

I watched the live stream last night, it was a great show. Loved that they played milk, I’m trying to remember if they’ve played it at any shows I’ve been to!

Some interesting points. I’ve not been bothered by the people camping, although I do think three days before is silly.
I know a group of fans come from America to see them, and I think for such a big investment, and considering they have taken time off work anyway, I dont blame them for wanting to make the most of it. I think the camaraderie that I’ve seen with people camping is quite sweet, but I’ve not been on Twitter to see the bad side of it so my opinion isn’t fully formed!

I’m 5ft 3 so always go for seated, because if I was standing then unless I was at the front, I wouldn’t be able to see a thing. If I could guarantee I’d be at the front then yeah, id probably queue up early, though nothing on this earth would get me to camp.

Ive never considered the winners of the war child thing might be a bit… suspicious. Its all generally a nice community and a lot of people have engaged with the organisers in the past, me included so I suppose it would be easy to find links to them, but then again I don’t remember seeing anything about how they picked the winners so it could well have happened!

I watched the live stream last night, it was a great show. Loved that they played milk, I’m trying to remember if they’ve played it at any shows I’ve been to!
You can check song stats on setlist.fm https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/the-1975-6bdf86ea.html?songid=53dbcb6d
If you click on each year it’ll give you the dates and shows they’ve played it at

I saw them on Tuesday at The o2 and they were amazing! The girl next to me had two phones, one that she was recording the entire show on and one that she was Shazamming each song and then writing down the name of each song. It was so strange. We weren’t anywhere near the front. This girl never sang along or danced. Like what was the point of even going?

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I’d be annoyed if I couldn’t see coz someone had their phone in my face recording, I suppose. But then I feel a bit hypocritical coz I’m up on my feet dancing and singing for 95% of the show, so it’s possible I’m blocking the view for someone seated behind me, although most of the time, the majority of other people are up as well.
I’ve been to a show a few years back where nobody really danced in the section I was seated in. Including a couple who didn’t seem to be with anybody else, but sat there the whole time, didn’t sing to a single song, didn’t even seem to enjoy it. So strange.

I’d be annoyed if I couldn’t see coz someone had their phone in my face recording, I suppose. But then I feel a bit hypocritical coz I’m up on my feet dancing and singing for 95% of the show, so it’s possible I’m blocking the view for someone seated behind me, although most of the time, the majority of other people are up as well.
I’ve been to a show a few years back where nobody really danced in the section I was seated in. Including a couple who didn’t seem to be with anybody else, but sat there the whole time, didn’t sing to a single song, didn’t even seem to enjoy it. So strange.
I don’t feel like phones need to be above eye level anyway, if you can see them with your eyes there’s no need to hold it above your head. It always annoys me when people hold them right up.
I feel like standing in the seating areas is fine and expected. There are areas for people with reduced mobility (at the o2, anyway) so you’d expect anyone sitting around you is either not bothered about seeing that particular song or is just having a rest

That’s my take on it generally, but if someone behind me asked me to sit down for the whole thing, I’d be really conflicted, because it would take away some of the enjoyment for me. When I was at Nottingham a few years back (which is apparently also where they played milk!), I ended up standing at the barrier at the bottom of the stairs in my section, which was a great view but I was only one there. If I could do that again, I’d move there if asked.

I must admit, as someone who is only 5 foot, I've stopped going to gigs unless I can manage to get a seat in the front row of any block, because otherwise I know I'll end up literally not seeing any of the gig due to people standing.

Recently travelled all the way from Newcastle to London for a gig I'd been looking forward to for months, only to end up walking out before the end due to not being able to see anything at all.

I don't really understand why people who want to stand can't either get tickets in the standing area, or get tickets on the back row of a block so they're not going to ruin someone else's experience. And I understand people might enjoy a gig slightly less if they sit down for it, but isn't that a better option than completely blocking the view of someone behind you and ruining the whole thing for them? At least if everyone is sitting down, everyone gets to enjoy and be able to see the gig they've paid a lot of money to see. Whereas if people stand in the seating area, there'll be a lot of people like me who have wasted hundreds of pounds, only to literally not be able to see any of it.

I'm a bit baffled that people acknowledge they get annoyed when their view is obscured by people holding up phones, but will have no problem blocking someone else's view by standing up in a seated area. Surely that's where empathy would come into play and people would think "I know how upsetting it is when someone obscures my view, so I won't do that to someone else"?

It feels like we've lost our sense of community spirit and gig etiquette is becoming non existent, which is really upsetting to be honest, and leaves people like me having to miss out on loads of gigs.

2 days before Birmingham and I managed to shatter my knee cap last night 😭😭 I’ve got standing tickets too

• Sad
Reactions: 5
2 days before Birmingham and I managed to shatter my knee cap last night 😭😭 I’ve got standing tickets too
If you can sit, it might be worth calling the venue, I swapped to seated for last years Nottingham show when DS fainted just before. They said they always hold a couple of seats neck for such an event.

When I was in first aid with a fainty child last year there was a 16 year old girl in there who had camped because her friends had, and they had her ticket. She was freezing and shaking and had barely eaten for 24 hours for fear of leaving the queue. She ended up being sent home and missing the show. Whilst I know that won’t be the experience off all, it put me off the idea of camping some what.

I must admit, as someone who is only 5 foot, I've stopped going to gigs unless I can manage to get a seat in the front row of any block, because otherwise I know I'll end up literally not seeing any of the gig due to people standing.

Recently travelled all the way from Newcastle to London for a gig I'd been looking forward to for months, only to end up walking out before the end due to not being able to see anything at all.

I don't really understand why people who want to stand can't either get tickets in the standing area, or get tickets on the back row of a block so they're not going to ruin someone else's experience. And I understand people might enjoy a gig slightly less if they sit down for it, but isn't that a better option than completely blocking the view of someone behind you and ruining the whole thing for them? At least if everyone is sitting down, everyone gets to enjoy and be able to see the gig they've paid a lot of money to see. Whereas if people stand in the seating area, there'll be a lot of people like me who have wasted hundreds of pounds, only to literally not be able to see any of it.

I'm a bit baffled that people acknowledge they get annoyed when their view is obscured by people holding up phones, but will have no problem blocking someone else's view by standing up in a seated area. Surely that's where empathy would come into play and people would think "I know how upsetting it is when someone obscures my view, so I won't do that to someone else"?

It feels like we've lost our sense of community spirit and gig etiquette is becoming non existent, which is really upsetting to be honest, and leaves people like me having to miss out on loads of gigs.
this is why I’d feel bad. But certainly for the last 3-4 shows I’ve seen, you’re not in a position to choose seats at the back of a block because the choice of seats is already so low. For the Birmingham date on Wednesday, I was in two lots of pre sale and still couldn’t get tickets in the block I wanted, let alone the luxury of choosing a position within a block.
---
Do you follow Kim.hads on Instagram? She’s just put up a post asking if anyone has a a standing ticket for Birmingham. You could potentially get rid of yours that way and get a seated one from twickets?

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.