Teen Mum UK #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There was something not long ago about the US mums having to pay back loads of owed tax debt as they weren't helped with taxes back in the day. Surely mtv would now put something in place to give them support and advice but you never know šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I wish they'd be more upfront with their financial situation too, it'd show the realistic side of being a teen parent rather than just the 'show off' bits or the drama. I think most of the girls live in social housing and their housing costs are likely covered by housing benefit or universal credit. Their actual earnings must change month to month depending on if they're being filmed or what ads they have so I suppose they just update it accordingly (if they declare it at all) and their benefits change each month.

I do think Amber and Shannon probably saw the benefit in having a second child to prolong their time not 'having' to work if I'm honest šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Reactions: 17
This what I also donā€™t understand - before I say this Iā€™ll say that I have nothing against people using our benefits system, myself and my husband currently get a bit of help from it at the moment. And I totally get why young single mothers want to be at home why their children are little... but the belief that childcare is a barrier to working is simply not the case. I went back to work after maternity leave, freshly out of a domestic violence relationship, single mum without a penny to my name and I had to put my baby in a nursery which was around Ā£800 per month. Tax credits (would now be Universal Credit) paid for my childcare costs. It literally went into my bank each month and I paid the nursery with it. However now, when me and my husband have another baby it would be harder to go back to work as we would liable for the full cost of childcare so I would be working to pay out Ā£800 in choldcare and we wouldnā€™t get help. I really do understand why single mums want to stay at home with their children and I am not against them using the benefits system to do this but using childcare as an excuse is simply not true
Wow this is crazy! I definitely know of a few colleagues in work whoā€™s entire monthly salary or a high percentage of it goes on childcare costs but for them they prefer being in a work environment (pre-Covid!), having adult conversation and staying busy. I do think itā€™s absolutely scandalous the cost of childcare, I think for me what seems unfair is that youā€™re almost penalised for choosing to work rather than staying at home with your baby.

Reactions: 8
Wow this is crazy! I definitely know of a few colleagues in work whoā€™s entire monthly salary or a high percentage of it goes on childcare costs but for them they prefer being in a work environment (pre-Covid!), having adult conversation and staying busy. I do think itā€™s absolutely scandalous the cost of childcare, I think for me what seems unfair is that youā€™re almost penalised for choosing to work rather than staying at home with your baby.
Many people actually get help now with childcare, even when both parents work. Obviously if a couple make a high income they wonā€™t get it but many do with good jobs! They also have those schemes too for working parents which give 30 hours completely free childcare if over a certain age x

Reactions: 3
This what I also donā€™t understand - before I say this Iā€™ll say that I have nothing against people using our benefits system, myself and my husband currently get a bit of help from it at the moment. And I totally get why young single mothers want to be at home why their children are little... but the belief that childcare is a barrier to working is simply not the case. I went back to work after maternity leave, freshly out of a domestic violence relationship, single mum without a penny to my name and I had to put my baby in a nursery which was around Ā£800 per month. Tax credits (would now be Universal Credit) paid for my childcare costs. It literally went into my bank each month and I paid the nursery with it. However now, when me and my husband have another baby it would be harder to go back to work as we would liable for the full cost of childcare so I would be working to pay out Ā£800 in choldcare and we wouldnā€™t get help. I really do understand why single mums want to stay at home with their children and I am not against them using the benefits system to do this but using childcare as an excuse is simply not true

I see what you mean. Iā€™ll give a brief overview of what I did to just show the other sides.
Single mum at 19- got a council house however looking into work by time Iā€™d paid travel costs, plus full living expenses it wasnā€™t worth it to do to be honest hence working the one night a week ā€œto get me outā€. I didnā€™t want to not be working, but even when someone offered me an old car for free I wouldnā€™t have even been able to run it. Itā€™s hard to get in your feet from the beginning.
Fast forward a few years, met someone, moved towns and just due to added support found full time work and out my daughter in child care. Because of having the extra support emotionally and physically I was able to go out and do that. Split a few years later due to him being a psycho dick but at that time I was established with a secure job, I had managed to get a car, a credit rating which is SO important and something else thatā€™s not considered by most young parents and I got a rented house. My life was busy af and ALL my money went on bills but I felt accomplished and showed my daughter that you should do better IF you can. Sorry for the essay Iā€™m not a fan of life stories in here but I donā€™t want people to read my comments and think Iā€™m stereotyping one way or the other. YES itā€™s absolutely possible to work from when your children are young and the majority of childcare is paid but it does take a bit of organisation and sadly for some itā€™s easier to not bother (and be able to see your kids grow up).

There was something not long ago about the US mums having to pay back loads of owed tax debt as they weren't helped with taxes back in the day. Surely mtv would now put something in place to give them support and advice but you never know šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
This is one thing about America that boggles my brain, the taxes. Why not just incorporate it into everything like we do? Would save so many people getting in trouble with the law. Iā€™d hate to have to calculate my tax for the year myself

Reactions: 6
Them nails on reannes story, the person is still working in lockdown and not even hiding it. Advertising appointments through January šŸ™„šŸ™„ how the hell are these people getting away with and who wants their nails done in lockdown anyway
I reported the beautician online (yes I'm that petty) but I doubt anything will come of it. Pisses me off that she's flouting the rules so much when other beauticians are abiding by the rules, keeping people safe and unfortunately losing their income.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Up to the age of 18 young mums get Care2Learn which is entire childcare paid if youā€™re in education. So thereā€™s no excuse there. After 18 UC will pay for up to 80% of your childcare. If you go to university Student Loan pay up to 80% of your childcare. I just canā€™t see the childcare issue at all. Teen mums get the most help with childcare. Itā€™s so possible to do it they either donā€™t want to (which is fine but ADMIT that and also admit you get help from benefits) or they ainā€™t even looked into it. I wish I got the help I did at 16 now šŸ¤£

Reactions: 7
Up to the age of 18 young mums get Care2Learn which is entire childcare paid if youā€™re in education. So thereā€™s no excuse there. After 18 UC will pay for up to 80% of your childcare. If you go to university Student Loan pay up to 80% of your childcare. I just canā€™t see the childcare issue at all. Teen mums get the most help with childcare. Itā€™s so possible to do it they either donā€™t want to (which is fine but ADMIT that and also admit you get help from benefits) or they ainā€™t even looked into it. I wish I got the help I did at 16 now šŸ¤£

Bloody hell didnā€™t know all that was available now!

Reactions: 1
It is true about UC but you have to front the first month and then they pay you back in arrears. So you have to have the like Ā£600 or whatever it is to pay upfront which I guess would be a barrier to some.
Not sure if its the same with student loans though.

Iā€™m currently in uni and I get a lot of financial help from student finance for nursery - without the help I wouldnā€™t be able to complete my course. Iā€™m a lone parent too, so not sure if that ups the money I get?
With Chloe going to uni, I donā€™t think sheā€™d get much financial support because Jordan works and Marley is in school and not nursery (added the Chloe part so not off topic šŸ¤£).

Reactions: 4
Iā€™m currently in uni and I get a lot of financial help from student finance for nursery - without the help I wouldnā€™t be able to complete my course. Iā€™m a lone parent too, so not sure if that ups the money I get?
With Chloe going to uni, I donā€™t think sheā€™d get much financial support because Jordan works and Marley is in school and not nursery (added the Chloe part so not off topic šŸ¤£).
Student finance is everythingggggggg .. shout out to all the student mums out there šŸ™ŒšŸ»šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Reactions: 7
It is true about UC but you have to front the first month and then they pay you back in arrears. So you have to have the like Ā£600 or whatever it is to pay upfront which I guess would be a barrier to some.
Not sure if its the same with student loans though.
there was a landmark case won last week so thatā€™s also changing now and youā€™ll be able to give your invoice a month in advance to UC now.. so even that hurdles gone. Student loan you donā€™t pay in advance either.

Reactions: 1
I actually go backwards and forwards between who I feel sorry for the most in their relationship. Sometimes I feel sorry for Chloe for putting up with Jordan and then other times I feel sorry for Jordan for having to put with Chloe. Iā€™m currently re-watching S5 and both of them have just gone to their counselling session. Chloe is just so ignorant about what depression actually is and keeps saying ā€œyouā€™re doing this to me and Marleyā€ or ā€œyouā€™re bringing me and Marley downā€. Like what the duck? Who even says that to somebody who is clearly not doing well. You can physically see Jordan start to shut down and I think Iā€™d do the same as well.
I started a rewatch recently and the way Chloe speaks to Jordan is disgusting. She explodes over nothing and attacks him and her go to is telling him to be a man and constantly blaming him. I feel really sorry for Jordan. I'm sure Chloe and her put downs and constant demands contributed to his depression. Of course when Chloe was depressed in series one it was a different story. Gosh, at that point she was attacking her Mum for not doing enough to support her. I can't take to Chloe at all.

Reactions: 12
I started a rewatch recently and the way Chloe speaks to Jordan is disgusting. She explodes over nothing and attacks him and her go to is telling him to be a man and constantly blaming him. I feel really sorry for Jordan. I'm sure Chloe and her put downs and constant demands contributed to his depression. Of course when Chloe was depressed in series one it was a different story. Gosh, at that point she was attacking her Mum for not doing enough to support her. I can't take to Chloe at all.
She was awful to him in the beginning saying he does nothing and she does everything. At the time they were both living with her parents so he was working full time and she was looking after Marley but she didnā€™t have a full house to run like now. I think she has maybe realised a bit now what it takes to actually be a grown up but now she has just morphed into like a wannabe influencer. Honestly looking back to the beginning of their story I fail to see why sheā€™s determined to stay with him. Neither of them seem happy together at all

• Heart
Reactions: 11
She was awful to him in the beginning saying he does nothing and she does everything. At the time they were both living with her parents so he was working full time and she was looking after Marley but she didnā€™t have a full house to run like now. I think she has maybe realised a bit now what it takes to actually be a grown up but now she has just morphed into like a wannabe influencer. Honestly looking back to the beginning of their story I fail to see why sheā€™s determined to stay with him. Neither of them seem happy together at all
They have just outgrown each other, but are forcing it to the max so they can be ā€˜a family.ā€™ It makes me super sad to see tbh; I can understand the impulse to stay together for the kids, but miserable parents together are way worse than happy, stable, separated parents. My parents split when I was 7 - Iā€™m now 27 and I tell my mum all the time itā€™s the best thing she ever did for me. Both married other people much better suited and I had a much calmer life because of it. Chloe needs to face up to it, to be honest. Jordan is a petulant teenager, but I think thatā€™s partly because heā€™s been put under SO much pressure to grow up that heā€™s actually regressed. I think she has good intentions, but ends up being a bit of a self-absorbed nag in their execution. They donā€™t even really seem to like each other any more and itā€™s sad to watch. I really wish one of them would get the strength to just call it a day and move on for Marleyā€™s sake.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
They have just outgrown each other, but are forcing it to the max so they can be ā€˜a family.ā€™ It makes me super sad to see tbh; I can understand the impulse to stay together for the kids, but miserable parents together are way worse than happy, stable, separated parents. My parents split when I was 7 - Iā€™m now 27 and I tell my mum all the time itā€™s the best thing she ever did for me. Both married other people much better suited and I had a much calmer life because of it. Chloe needs to face up to it, to be honest. Jordan is a petulant teenager, but I think thatā€™s partly because heā€™s been put under SO much pressure to grow up that heā€™s actually regressed. I think she has good intentions, but ends up being a bit of a self-absorbed nag in their execution. They donā€™t even really seem to like each other any more and itā€™s sad to watch. I really wish one of them would get the strength to just call it a day and move on for Marleyā€™s sake.
Exactly as much as Jordan was in the wrong for cheating that was the clean break they needed. Even when he said he didnā€™t want to fight for her after, heā€™s making it clear he doesnā€™t want to be with her! Sheā€™s desperate for the family unit that she will be willing to be humiliated and then brush it under the carpet. We saw the way she treated her mother for quite rightly having reservations about seeing Jordan and running round after him (in the conversation over a meal in a pub). Chloe will do whatever she wants and nothing anyone will say willl make a difference, and Jordan will take advantage because he can. There must be some pluses to living there versus his parents house although I canā€™t think what šŸ˜³ I think heā€™s regressed as well. The way he games when Chloe is nagging and itā€™s all on camera is all sorts of wrong

Reactions: 12
I'm rewatching teen mom uk atm, and something's just struck me about chloe - every single time without fail that jordan's going to do something fun (which I think he's entitled to do), she goes "well i wish I could do that" not being funny but she can? she chooses not do, and that's a fine choice, but don't get sarky because you've made a choice to stay home when she can just go out on nights jordan isn't

Reactions: 15
i've found the same in my rewatch, chloe is very much my way or the highway, and she can't stand things not going her way - one word: brat

Reactions: 10

Hmm, this thought has literally just occurred but I used to think they were childhood sweethearts. Someone on Reddit corrected me and said they were only together a short time before she became pregnant. Suddenly it makes so much sense that Chloe got pregnant on purpose to fast forward their relationship... just like now she is always wanting the next stage and big thing / what she perceives to be relationship status symbols. Car, house, kid etc..

i've found the same in my rewatch, chloe is very much my way or the highway, and she can't stand things not going her way - one word: brat
She is a good mum to Marley but as he gets older her constant moaning won't be nice to be around. I imagine her weaponising her child to nag Jordan. I also suspect that when Marley is old enough to have his own interests / hobbies that haven't been curated by Chloe / don't fit her instagram perfect image then there will be issues....

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.