Tattle In The Press

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Article in today's Guardian off back of that study. Writer seems to have written about here a fair bit from searching her name on here (to see if thus had already been shared). Only skimmed for now. Will read later when I finish work.
I read it, it’s dull and lazy. The writer seems to believe that anyone using a forum like Tattle once believed themselves to be an influencer’s friend, which is an incredibly naive way of looking at it and is quite patronising. I don’t think many people believe themselves to be an influencer’s ‘friend’ - the relationship, such as it is, is more sophisticated in that I think that most people are aware any influencer/audience relationship is transactional. Most people know they are being sold something by influencers, whatever that is, but there’s a delicate balance and it’s when that balance shifts that people get annoyed.

Having said that, there are people who don’t associate cold, hard marketing strategy with the cheerful mummy-vlogger dancing round the kitchen and telling everyone how great the new banana-flavoured cereal from Nestle is, but that’s part of the problem with the way the influencer market has developed. Companies rather cynically engage influencers because of the parasocial relationships they encourage. I might not respond well to Barclays telling me how great their new bank account app is, but if ’Kate’ the young, trendy fashion—blogger tells me about it then I’m more likely to listen. Some influencers are savvy and quite cynical, but I suspect there are a fair few that are being exploited just as much as their audiences.

Reactions: 20
As always these articles miss out the reason why there is a need for a forum like Tattle, even more ironic given the latest one is a Guardian effort. If 18 months ago I had commented on Jack Monroe's twitter, former Guardian protegé that she is, and said politely enough 'Hey Jack, I think you might have got the costings wrong on your Peasant's Pudding vs the Jubilee Trifle because you have used a different method on each when calculating the price.' What would have happened?

She'd have turned her gaze towards me like the Eye of Sauron, still in her pomp as she was then, and started attacking me which gives tacit permission to her diehard fans to attack me too. We have seen it time and again, not just from her but others too.

This is why there is a need for Tattle, because at it's core there is no space for dissenting voices on mainstream social media without risking massively over reacting consequences designed to silence people.

I was once threatened by someone on Facebook for quoting a deceased celebrity's own words from an interview, the person decided they did not like me bringing up something about their favoured celebrity they didn't like and went through my profile pulling information then told me they were going to spread it around the internet saying I had sexually abused children if I didn't shut up.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
They’re called influencers for a reason! The government employ them to promote certain things…Why shouldn’t we be free to disagree with them 🙄 they’ve chosen public life with everything that entails, the press are paid to tear down celebs/ royalty/ politicians…Only difference is we’re not being paid ( contrary to what many influencers believe 😂)

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Sounds like it's not worth reading. Not surprising as it would appear to be churned out from a someones pretty narrow and lazy hot take on what's an interesting topic.

I'm here because these influencers are so entertaining with the stuff they do for attention and to sell tit, it's like reality TV on steroids.
---
Oh that author seems dreadful. Tattle never has and never will allow doxxing, no matter how many times people say that's what the site is about. Do people think if you keep saying it then it'll become a truth? What an embarrassment of an "author". Ah well, reinforces what junk the guardian is.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 21.23.02.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 19
Influencer culture is the wild west. They aren't held to account over anything and can spout and promote whatever they like. How about they write an article on the lack of transparency and authenticity in social media Influencers.

I've never once thought I was friends with anyone I follow. I'll just call out bullshit or narratives that don't make sense.

Its a stupid shallow article completely lacking in critical thinking

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Sounds like it's not worth reading. Not surprising as it would appear to be churned out from a someones pretty narrow and lazy hot take on what's an interesting topic.

I'm here because these influencers are so entertaining with the stuff they do for attention and to sell tit, it's like reality TV on steroids.
---
Oh that author seems dreadful. Tattle never has and never will allow doxxing, no matter how many times people say that's what the site is about. Do people think if you keep saying it then it'll become a truth? What an embarrassment of an "author". Ah well, reinforces what junk the guardian is.

View attachment 2783262
I used to have a New Statesman subscription, which I cancelled specifically because that article made me so angry - Tattle was just a place for menopausal women upset because they couldn't be friends with famous people.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
dear g-d, that was just such a boring unsubstantiated piece

none of us here consider ourselves friends of the people we talk about. like where does that idea come from??

sarah m knows duck all about here

Reactions: 16
I used to have a New Statesman subscription, which I cancelled specifically because that article made me so angry
I think that's the best way to respond to things like this. Quite a few have cancelled their guardian support for similar reasons. It's quite something for the title alone to be a flat out lie.

It's so strange because the general public has a really low opinion of influencers but in the media as a whole there's next to nothing about how flawed and toxic the whole industry is.

I really thought tattle would be over come 2022 🤞 , but this whole influencer bubble carries on. Where's the netflix or disney show to explore such an interesting topic?

Reactions: 14
I've just read it.
Specious drivel IMHO.
Sarah Manavis is"an American writer covering technology, culture, and society". Why does it read like a E grade sociology GCSE essay then?
I'm clearly in the wrong business.
I'm going to start writing for the Guardian too if they pay for that shite.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I've just read it.
Specious drivel IMHO.
Sarah Manavis is"an American writer covering technology, culture, and society". Why does it read like a E grade sociology GCSE essay then?
And that it was written 5 minutes before deadline. As you say, I can't believe she was paid for that

Reactions: 4
I've just read it.
Specious drivel IMHO.
They paid jack Monroe heaps for total crap, so you should be okay

Reactions: 5
It's a nonsense article. I find the word "parasocial" is overused these days.

Yes, parasocial relationships exist but generally among younger fans of big celebrities or livestreamers. They usually love the streamer to a degree that's unhealthy. That's not what I see on Tattle. But because it seems to be a buzzword at the moment, it's often leapt on by journalists/commentators.

Reactions: 6
Rather long one from a” lurker “ stretching every way 👀

She's obviously addicted to reading Tattle, and writing such a long essay that only criticises everything.

If she wrote about the truth then she would read on and establish how those of us on here have become "friends" albeit we've not met in person.

If she'd experienced the warmth and friendliness, the laughs we have and the way we look at the truth, she could have provided a comprehensive report about us.

If she only knew how Tattle helped me through COVID, what a difference that would have made to her write up.

And, if she'd cared to look at the H&M threads (where I spend most of my time) then she'd read how much we all support each other, debate, agree or disagree, and laugh so much. If she'd checked other threads like Tea and Sympathy she'd soon realise that we show compassion and feel comfortable sharing parts of our private life with virtual strangers.

I could go on, but my lovely Tattle family already know the benefits of coming here. 🥰

• Heart
She's obviously addicted to reading Tattle, and writing such a long essay that only criticises everything.

If she wrote about the truth then she would read on and establish how those of us on here have become "friends" albeit we've not met in person.

If she'd experienced the warmth and friendliness, the laughs we have and the way we look at the truth, she could have provided a comprehensive report about us.

If she only knew how Tattle helped me through COVID, what a difference that would have made to her write up.

And, if she'd cared to look at the H&M threads (where I spend most of my time) then she'd read how much we all support each other, debate, agree or disagree, and laugh so much. If she'd checked other threads like Tea and Sympathy she'd soon realise that we show compassion and feel comfortable sharing parts of our private life with virtual strangers.

I could go on, but my lovely Tattle family already know the benefits of coming here. 🥰
The thing is though is that those of us on the threads have often followed these people for a long time and unpicked everything. Comments like Louise T having Münchausen syndrome may seem harsh, but there’s a reason why we say that after years of evidence, it’s not a random comment :)

Reactions: 4

They never want to focus on the positives.

Reactions: 2
Don’t these ‘journalists’ see how hypocritical they are?

they are writing articles Slagging off what they assume are middle aged women ( which is not the demographic) who are posting on forums slagging off influencers (apparently)

What is the actual difference of posting on tattle versus a celebrity forum for example? I don’t remember anyone ever posting articles about how sad and jealous people were for posting on digital spy forums for example!

A forum is for people to share their opinions and have discussions on topics or people that they have an opinion on. if it bothers you so much about what people are discussing then don’t look or write articles about it. You’re literally revolving your life around the forum and trying to make money off it by writing your articles.

I have a cousin who posts on a wrestling forum and they chat tit about all the wrestlers all the time, but would anyone come and call these posters, (mostly men) bitter, middle-aged, vile men? Or write countless articles and try to get the forums closed down!? NO

Don’t these ‘journalists’ see how hypocritical they are?

they are writing articles Slagging off what they assume are middle aged women ( which is not the demographic) who are posting on forums slagging off influencers (apparently)

What is the actual difference of posting on tattle versus a celebrity forum for example? I don’t remember anyone ever posting articles about how sad and jealous people were for posting on digital spy forums for example!

A forum is for people to share their opinions and have discussions on topics or people that they have an opinion on. if it bothers you so much about what people are discussing then don’t look or write articles about it. You’re literally revolving your life around the forum and trying to make money off it by writing your articles.

I have a cousin who posts on a wrestling forum and they chat tit about all the wrestlers all the time, but would anyone come and call these posters, (mostly men) bitter, middle-aged, vile men? Or write countless articles and try to get the forums closed down!? NO
The attacking Tattle is always so misogynistic. There are some men on here you know as well 🤭

• Heart

Yel

A forum is for people to share their opinions and have discussions on topics or people that they have an opinion on. if it bothers you so much about what people are discussing then don’t look or write articles about it.
I think it's because influencers occupy this weird space between a celebrity and a friend. So they want to have their cake and be treated as both when it suits them.

There's an interesting discussion to be had about it all, but zero journalists in these articles are touching on it.

How dare middle aged women have a voice about these business entities and speak like male sports fans do on forums. Grim.

Omg that article 😬
How they can write this tripe 'users are at the very least, morally dubious'. Based on what?
And later on citing the case in the US of an obsessive fan killing a singer and YTer in 2016 (Christine Grimmie) and likening users on Tattle to that 😮
Unbelievable.

• Wow
  • Heart