Tattle In The Press

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That article looks like the 'journalist' opened 3 different word docs, started writing 3 completely different articles with no real research, got a phone call from his/her editor to say the deadline had been changed, panicked and copy and pasted them all together without reading through, then submitted.

I am so tempted to write a rebuttal of the claims written in the article and see where I can get it published...

• Haha
Reactions: 20
That article looks like the 'journalist' opened 3 different word docs, started writing 3 completely different articles with no real research, got a phone call from his/her editor to say the deadline had been changed, panicked and copy and pasted them all together without reading through, then submitted.

I am so tempted to write a rebuttal of the claims written in the article and see where I can get it published...
It sounds like it was a project for the school work experience kid. It’s awful.

• Haha
Reactions: 13

It wouldn't actually surprise me if the Guardian would publish the response. I think they've done that before on some subjects.

Reactions: 10
It wouldn't actually surprise me if the Guardian would publish the response. I think they've done that before on some subjects.
yeah I would go for it, clearly their increasingly lazy style of journalism would love having an article written for them that wasn't the work experience kid :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
can you fill it with quotes and photos from the cat thread? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I think the lifestyle section of the guardian can be very poor. The long form articles are mostly ok but their fashion and beauty is woeful. I know that those section get the most clicks and fund the proper investigative journalism stuff, a lot of which is very worthwhile.

I think because there business model is completely free there’s a lot of pressure to keep pumping out clickbate lifestyle stuff but try and give it an investigative journalism spin. Because it’s the guardian and they want to be perceived as better than all the other clickbate muck online. While profiting from 200 word nothings with 20 adds.

Issue is that anyone with a passing knowledge of the subject will write a much better 200 word comment. Then comments under the few articles they allow them on are often much better and hold peoples attention for much longer.

Tattle is all comments. They know a significant number of their own readers prefer comments over articles.
I think sites like tattle go back to an earlier version of the internet that was more discussion based and less image focused. I’m judging other commenters here based on what they say, not their pictures or bylines or how well they’ve crafted their ✨brand ✨

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I think the lifestyle section of the guardian can be very poor. The long form articles are mostly ok but their fashion and beauty is woeful. I know that those section get the most clicks and fund the proper investigative journalism stuff, a lot of which is very worthwhile.

I think because there business model is completely free there’s a lot of pressure to keep pumping out clickbate lifestyle stuff but try and give it an investigative journalism spin. Because it’s the guardian and they want to be perceived as better than all the other clickbate muck online. While profiting from 200 word nothings with 20 adds.

Issue is that anyone with a passing knowledge of the subject will write a much better 200 word comment. Then comments under the few articles they allow them on are often much better and hold peoples attention for much longer.

Tattle is all comments. They know a significant number of their own readers prefer comments over articles.
I think sites like tattle go back to an earlier version of the internet that was more discussion based and less image focused. I’m judging other commenters here based on what they say, not their pictures or bylines or how well they’ve crafted their ✨brand ✨
in a lot of their articles the comments are better written and thought out than the article itself imo

Reactions: 16
I regard myself as being quite well informed when it comes to celebs, politicians, musicians, tv etc but I can honestly say I have never heard of any of these people that are mentioned in the article. Not a Scooby Doo. I'm not quite sure why they think they are so influential and important.

For goodness sake, there's a literal trainspotter on Tok Tok who has 1.5 million followers. He's more influential than any of them 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 15
The long form articles are mostly ok but their fashion and beauty is woeful. I know that those section get the most clicks and fund the proper investigative journalism stuff, a lot of which is very worthwhile.
The guardian definitely has some good investigative journalism amongst the mostly crap. But they don't have the monopoly on this - the daily mail and BuzzFeed news do have some good journalism amongst all of their tit.

Anyway see you all next month on this thread when another paper regurgitates the same old "tattle trolls" article we've had done a good 40-50 times already 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 14
It pisses me off that these journalists do the most basic of research ie probably none. And fail to even acknowledge why Tattle is so popular. Yes for the gossip, but you can go to 100s of places for that. It is the fact that it caters for so much more than that. Advice on all manner of things, recommendations, hilarious posting along live to Strictly, Love Island, Bake Off etc, support threads, general chatter, robust and intelligent debate on so many topics and so much more. I've seen so many people say Tattle was a lifeline during lockdown.
Of course naysayers will say that is because we are all utter bastards and like sticks to like.
But it is obviously more than that, and journalists are far too swayed by 'celebrity', blinkered and lazy to even attempt to look at it from all angles.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
It pisses me off that these journalists do the most basic of research ie probably none. And fail to even acknowledge why Tattle is so popular. Yes for the gossip, but you can go to 100s of places for that. It is the fact that it caters for so much more than that. Advice on all manner of things, recommendations, hilarious posting along live to Strictly, Love Island, Bake Off etc, support threads, general chatter, robust and intelligent debate on so many topics and so much more. I've seen so many people say Tattle was a lifeline during lockdown.
Of course naysayers will say that is because we are all utter bastards and like sticks to like.
But it is obviously more than that, and journalists are far too swayed by 'celebrity', blinkered and lazy to even attempt to look at it from all angles.
the "research" gone into this article is basically the journalist being tweeted by people complaining about it, if that

Reactions: 10
So well put.

Would any article ever acknowledge how damaging influencer culture is to members of the public and how unrealistic it is for them to not have an opinion on influencers because it may negatively affect influencers. Why should public figures mental health take priority over members of the public?

Use of social media and influencers content has been linked to so many damaging things. There's countless people who say how much tattle has helped and how much they've learnt. But all we hear is its evil, should be shut down and anyone that uses here is a seriously damaged individual who's jealous.

Spoiler alert tattle isn't going anywhere.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I’m glad to see that too, especially since it’s from Rhiannon Lucy Cosslett, who writes for the Guardian, good on her!
She also used to write for a website called the Vagenda and had a Twitter row with Sali Hughes (who hates tattle)!
I loved the Vagenda! was so disappointed it ended! so pleased with this, good on her!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
"Dear The Guardian,

Thanks for all the extra site traffic and ad revenue. The end.

Love from Helen xxx"

• Haha
Reactions: 26
So well put.

Would any article ever acknowledge how damaging influencer culture is to members of the public and how unrealistic it is for them to not have an opinion on influencers because it may negatively affect influencers. Why should public figures mental health take priority over members of the public?

Use of social media and influencers content has been linked to so many damaging things. There's countless people who say how much tattle has helped and how much they've learnt. But all we hear is its evil, should be shut down and anyone that uses here is a seriously damaged individual who's jealous.

Spoiler alert tattle isn't going anywhere.
as a guardian reader I could see that folding before tattle ends

Reactions: 11
as a guardian reader I could see that folding before tattle ends
I think their revenues are up a lot since 2019 and they started to break even before the C word. Along with all their tax haven and tax avoidance schemes I think they've still got many decades. I guess sacking lots of staff and pumping out more low quality stuff than ever before is securing their future which didn't look great not that long ago.

Reactions: 12