TalkTV & Talk Radio #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'd imagine that it will carry on as before maybe minus a few expensive names?
I'm the opposite. I only watched it on tv (had it on in the background so it may as well have been radio).
I've got to admit to being kind of glad the option won't be there anymore. I've absolutely no clue why I started with it as I've never been a radio listener and it became a weird kind of habit.

For me it was when all the Brexit stuff was happening. I never listened before, and I came across it when trying to find a station that would give me a different opinion to the tv news channels etc.
I felt the tv news channels were one sided.
I found the presenters on some of the talk radio shows were giving me a balanced view of it all. So I kind of stayed with it and when the lockdowns happened and I was starting to go stir crazy I listened to it even more, again, because they were broadcasting different opinions and speaking to different scientists etc.
The Pestons, Kuenssbergs, Burleys and Rigbys were getting on my nerves and talk radio had presenters who were [slightly] less annoying and a few who I even quite like!!!! [Soft spot for Cristo and Ian Collins. Love Kev O'Sullivan when he isn't going so OTT with his Mister Angry schtick, like David Bull and Mike Graham infuruates me sometimes but other times makes me laugh, so, overall there were quite a few of them I liked to listen to.]

Can't help thinking they should have steered clear of Piers Morgan and Sharon Osborne. Those two will have cost them a fortune and neither have brought in the viewers. [I avoided both like the plague, and it appears I wasn't the only one.]

TBH I think hiring Piers and paying him a fortune is probably what killed the tv channel. It was better before him.

Reactions: 3
I reckon you're right about Morgan. He was probably the straws that broke the Camels back IMO.
He seems to bring discord and general misery anywhere he roams.
I'll miss parts of it though and will probs end up listening to bits of it on the radio.

Reactions: 2
Get rid of everyone they brought in specifically for TV (most of whom are a poor fit of the audience) and return to it being a radio station headlined by Mike, JHB, Kevin et al.

A weekday schedule like this would work:
5am - James Max
7am - JHB
10am - Mike
1pm - Kevin
4pm - Ian
7pm - Petrie
10pm - Cristo

Put in Alex Phillips at weekends, alongside the likes of Peter Cardwell, Andre Walker & Dr. David Bull. Perhaps try and convince Nick de Bois back as well. Maybe even keep Kyle on a reduced number of shows.

In short - return it to how it was 2 years ago please.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Get rid of everyone they brought in specifically for TV (most of whom are a poor fit of the audience) and return to it being a radio station headlined by Mike, JHB, Kevin et al.

5am - James Max
7am - JHB
10am - Mike
1pm - Kevin
4pm - Ian
7pm - Petrie
10pm - Cristo

Put in Alex Phillips at weekends, alongside the likes of Peter Cardwell & Dr. David Bull. Perhaps try and convince Nick de Bois back as well. Maybe even keep Kyle on a reduced number of shows.

BIB - agreed.

I think Mike likes being on later, though. Kev too.
I get the feeling they are both struggling not to swear and when they are on later they can let the profanities slip a bit more.
So they like their later slots.

Also since they became 'tv' all the shows seem to be discussing the same topics. I know its a current affairs channel, but before the tv element, it managed to have a bit of variety. Especially Kev. When he was on at 7pm weeknights he had some great shows where he had segments on the alleged yeti sightings on Cannock Chase and the USA UFO files supposedly getting revealed and stuff like that.
Plus his tv reviews segments that were mainly taking the pee pee and hilarious mockery of stuff.
It wasn't all politics chat on rinse and repeat.

Cristo's timings are ridiculous. He is very entertaining and deserves more time.
David Bull is, I think very fair and measured. I like his Doctor Renee sidekick, too.

They can get rid of Trisha, Vanessa, Nicola Thorpe and Kyle for me. Kyle was ok-ish at 7pm but in the mornings - awful. His style is very shouty, interrupty [not a word but I don't care] and very rat-a-tat-tat. Maybe he could just do a one hour show a couple of nights a week???
Glad Morgan is gone.

That JJ guy is annoying. I dont know why he is on so much.
And I dont like these panels they keep having.

As you said, get rid of everyone they brought in specifically for tv.

GIVE US BACK OUR TALK RADIO.

• Heart
BIB - agreed.

I think Mike likes being on later, though. Kev too.
I get the feeling they are both struggling not to swear and when they are on later they can let the profanities slip a bit more.
So they like their later slots.

Also since they became 'tv' all the shows seem to be discussing the same topics. I know its a current affairs channel, but before the tv element, it managed to have a bit of variety. Especially Kev. When he was on at 7pm weeknights he had some great shows where he had segments on the alleged yeti sightings on Cannock Chase and the USA UFO files supposedly getting revealed and stuff like that.
Plus his tv reviews segments that were mainly taking the pee pee and hilarious mockery of stuff.
It wasn't all politics chat on rinse and repeat.

Cristo's timings are ridiculous. He is very entertaining and deserves more time.
David Bull is, I think very fair and measured. I like his Doctor Renee sidekick, too.

They can get rid of Trisha, Vanessa, Nicola Thorpe and Kyle for me. Kyle was ok-ish at 7pm but in the mornings - awful. His style is very shouty, interrupty [not a word but I don't care] and very rat-a-tat-tat. Maybe he could just do a one hour show a couple of nights a week???
Glad Morgan is gone.

That JJ guy is annoying. I dont know why he is on so much.
And I dont like these panels they keep having.

As you said, get rid of everyone they brought in specifically for tv.

GIVE US BACK OUR TALK RADIO.
I liked Kev on the 7pm before, but that timeslot isn't as popular on radio as TV so I wouldn't waste it on one of their top 3 (JHB, Mike, Kev). Mike might like the evenings but he was a ratings winner in the 10am. It just makes more business sense to have them in earlier slots. Drivetime is a hard one to fill, Vanessa has been a total failure. I think Ian has the gravitas to pull it off, and is reasonably popular with the audience.

Definitely agree on them needing more variety in topics.

• Heart
I usually listen via Sonos so as radio. At the weekend I watched James Whale and also watched Mike via the TV. What I cannot understand is when they go to an ad break on the radio, on the TV it is just a blank screen for 2 to 3 minutes. I guess many people will become very bored of that and switch channels. Watching ads is bad enough but watching a grey screen is incredibly boring.

I hope they will still do radio as I spend most of my working day listening however as posted before I find the new set up awful as in dual presenting.

I usually listen via Sonos so as radio. At the weekend I watched James Whale and also watched Mike via the TV. What I cannot understand is when they go to an ad break on the radio, on the TV it is just a blank screen for 2 to 3 minutes. I guess many people will become very bored of that and switch channels. Watching ads is bad enough but watching a grey screen is incredibly boring.

I hope they will still do radio as I spend most of my working day listening however as posted before I find the new set up awful as in dual presenting.

They've paid Morgan and Osborne a fortune - didn't need either of them.
They've got panels of people on all the time - they don't need them.
They've got two presenters on some shows. Only need one.

Savings right there.

Reactions: 4

Yel

They spent an absolute fortune on turning a radio station run on a relatively small budget into a fully fledged TV channel which often registered 0 viewers.

The branding was all off right from the start and they stuck with it.

Such a hairbrained idea from all because Murdoch wanted a TV presence.

5am - James Max
7am - JHB
10am - Mike
1pm - Kevin
4pm - Ian
7pm - Petrie
10pm - Cristo

Put in Alex Phillips at weekends, alongside the likes of Peter Cardwell, Andre Walker & Dr. David Bull. Perhaps try and convince Nick de Bois back as well. Maybe even keep Kyle on a reduced number of shows.

Yes please I watch on you tube, but watch it less and less nowadays..I loved the format before they brought the big stars in like Piers, Vanessa. Mrs O etc. I tended to avoid watching them, but by all accounts they haven't helped the channel grow and must have cost an absolute fortune as others have said..
---
They've paid Morgan and Osborne a fortune - didn't need either of them.
They've got panels of people on all the time - they don't need them.
They've got two presenters on some shows. Only need one.

Savings right there.
Agreed! I agree with all the recent comments on here actually the big names and pairs don't work much and are not needed.

Last edited:
Yes please I watch on you tube, but watch it less and less nowadays..I loved the format before they brought the big stars in like Piers, Vanessa. Mrs O etc. I tended to avoid watching them, but by all accounts they haven't helped the channel grow and must have cost an absolute fortune as others have said..
---

Agreed! I agree with all the recent comments on here actually the big names and pairs don't work much and are not needed.

I think bringing them in has killed it.
Piers in particular.

--

Last edited:
I think bringing them in has killed it.
Piers in particular.

--

So Piers moving 'Online' was a hint of what was to come for the rest of the channel.

I expect all the shows will continue to stream live on YouTube, as they did in the TalkRadio days.

Piers hasn't left News UK, as he still continues to write articles.

Reactions: 1
So Piers moving 'Online' was a hint of what was to come for the rest of the channel.

I expect all the shows will continue to stream live on YouTube, as they did in the TalkRadio days.

Piers hasn't left News UK, as he still continues to write articles.
Yes, so it seems.
I didn't know that at the time I posted the comment you've quoted, though.

I mainly listen via radio so I'm just glad Piers is no longer on every evening at 8 or repeated endlessly later on.
Every time I switched on there would be a repeat of one of his shows - it felt like that anyway.

Drove me crazy.
Didn't want to listen to him shouting over everyone in the first place so I certainly didn't want to watch repeats.

NB
I do appreciate that it isn't all about me. 🤣 :LOL: 🤣 :LOL: :m :m :m

Yes. And someone said that Nicola as well. Ive seen Rosanna confirm her departure.

Nicola too?
Can't say I will miss her. I don't like her at all.
Have stopped listening to the breakfast show because of her.
Wonder if Jeremy will present alone or even move to a different slot?

Reactions: 1
YES!!! I won't fear putting TalkRadio on on the morning now 😌 she was beyond annoying, couldn't stand her before she started on the show!
Ive not seen any actual confirmation of Nicola though so I wouldn’t get too excited yet!😂

• Sad
Have they sacked Rosanna Lockwood?
It's either Nicola or Rosanna, I can't remember now ... but Julia Hartley-Brewer hates her bleeping guts (and the feeling is mutual). :ROFLMAO: I have the feeling there are so many desperate ego's at TalkTV it's a pretty miserable place to work.

I didn't see the point in Rosanna anyway, from the little I saw, she didn't fit with the vibe of the station at all.

It's either Nicola or Rosanna, I can't remember now ... but Julia Hartley-Brewer hates her bleeping guts (and the feeling is mutual). :ROFLMAO: I have the feeling there are so many desperate ego's at TalkTV it's a pretty miserable place to work.

Julia hates Rosanna.