Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Yel

Chatty Member
Threats to the children and fearing for your personal safety of your family is never OK
No one would ever say otherwise, but I doubt it actually happened. Influencers always use this as an excuse when they fuck up 🤷

Reactions: 23
Sorry that my post seems to have angered you so much. That wasn't my intention. But in answer to your question, no I wouldn't defend you if you'd said those things, however I would possibly defend your partner if he also ended up losing his job/income due to your behaviour. I'd feel bad for your kids who were going to suffer in many ways because of your behaviour. And not just because of the lack of money, I can't imagine their house is a nice place to be at the minute, even without the gaping dangerous hole in the floor. I was merely stating that it makes me feel uncomfortable to think that there are people seemingly getting very gleeful about the prospect of adding yet more flames to the already treacherous fire they've got burning.
I don’t think anyone is gleeful, but rather want to see this abhorrent behaviour have consequences as it would for anyone working in the real world. Teachers & others in similar safeguarding roles can lose their jobs by something called disqualification by association even if they have themselves done nothing wrong, or by posting inappropriately on their private social media, and the latter applies to pretty much every job I can think of in this day and age. What Susie posted was way beyond a casual comment that could be interpreted as racist; her comments were out and out racist, ableist, fatphobic - I could go on. She MET Greg on Twitter. He saw these. He did not call her out or ask her to remove them and thus far has pretended nothing has happened rather than addressing the issue. He is complicit in this also.
At the end of the day she was not a naive teenager making offhand remarks to her friends in private when she posted these comments; she was a mid-twenties woman living in London and posting them on a public Twitter which already had thousands of followers. In the real world actions have consequences.
As others have pointed out, there are many other ways to make a living that do not include exploiting your sporting success to flog absolutely anything on social media/hanging off your Olympian boyfriend. She could join the rest of us and get an actual job.

• Heart

Calabria

VIP Member
Agreed that she wrote it herself. But instead of writing a sincere apology in her own words, she got out her thesaurus, in my opinion, try to sound superior or ‘wanky’ as she would say 🙄
She “Baby Kangaroo Tribbiani”’d it 🤣

• Haha

CakesRFab

New to this thread after seeing her “apology”. I don’t condone any of the nasty, racist tweets at all but hoping to share some insight having worked on a number of D&I projects etc through my work and a slightly different perspective (again I’m not from Gleam and think her tweets were disgraceful!). Firstly, living and growing up in predominantly white or all white places, unfortunately there is a very backwards view on POC and immigrants. Usually it’s a behaviour passed on from parents and society and in truth, sounds like SV had a rude awakening when she moved to Croydon growing up where she did. These people know NO better, they’re often the older generation. Certain jibes against other ethnicities and cultures back then (think circa Little Britain) were more the norm and I think her need to be “funny” and outspoken on Twitter was hugely misdirected and this coupled with her ignorance and quite possibly racist upbringing led to thinking those tweets were OK. I genuinely do believe that people grow up and people start to educate themselves, especially people who move to multicultural cities and become exposed to life outside their hometown. You’re expecting someone who has been brought up in a certain way to change their natural thoughts and behaviours just because we know it’s wrong, but it’s an education process. Basic human rights shouldn’t be an education process but look where we were even a mere 50 years ago. Two ways I feel about her stories tonight...firstly I think she is trying to stay void of emotion and just get through what she wants to say, like others have said if she cried she’d be accused of turning on the waterworks for sympathy - but this is who she is. She has always conducted herself in this way when addressing serious topics, it’s usually to deflect or how someone who struggles with expressing empathy/emotion puts up a wall to not let things in. Not saying this is right, but let’s be honest I don’t think there was much she could have done to rectify this right now. Just think we all need to be a little kinder in these times - Shes been called out, likely to lose her career and any partnerships/income and I think she knows along with everyone else that she’s royally fucked up. it’s going to be those poor kids who suffer in the long run if people keep berating her/Greg on here. Best way to get her to face the repercussions is to stop giving her the air time. Also remember everyone’s on their own journey. Ex offenders turn their lives around everyday after committing terrible crimes (George Floyd for example), so what’s to say someone like SV can’t do the same.
Sorry but there were a number of tweets that you would know were wrong no matter where you were brought up stop trying to jusify it. Tweets about disabled children? Also don't bring GF into it. Completely crass, disrespectful.

• Heart

Peachesplease

I’ve completely missed this- what did she do?
😆😆
Start at thread 2, pull up a chair, get a drink, you've a lot to catch up on!

Strangest thing I've ever seen! Have a good evening?!? What?! You're not the bloody PM.

And the Prince Andrew style lack of apology...

Sorry seems to be the hardest word!!!!

• Haha
  • Heart

jeaner

PR campaign? Just because I’m disagreeing with how people are going about this, DOESNT mean I’m trying to make excuses for her so please don’t confuse that. Remember this is still a person that’s the point I’m trying to get across - she clearly didn’t think about others when she posted insensitive tweets but surely we should all know better? I just don’t feel posting a hate campaign against her is getting anywhere, constructive criticism yes but this just seems to go further than that. I’ve simply tried to see it from the other side and that what if maybe, just maybe she genuinely is taking actions to educate herself and is not the same person she was?
As soon as you become ‘devils advocate’ for racists, you need to have a serious look at yourself. Her ‘apology’ was passive aggressive and insincere. She isn’t sorry. She’s sorry she was caught. This is all arse covering for future earning potential. I’m not sure what your agenda is here but you’re clearly very tone deaf to what the root issues are here and I can’t see what your

..... point if you’re not in some way connected to Susan.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

Basicbasic

VIP Member
Thank fuck for small silver linings.... at least we won't have to suffer the boring beige wedding in the dessert.

• Haha

OhhBacon

VIP Member
She’s purely ignorant with a number of sensitive issues, she’s obviously self entitled and proven to not have been a very nice person but my point is...does this need to be dragged out? Let’s see if she actually puts anything into action. Having children may have changed how she looks at the world or her attitude in general. I’ve not tried to make a direct comparison so I’m deeply sorry if that sounded out of turn, but I’ve tried to make a point that people are not always defined by one period of their life.
It was over a period of years and covered a wide range of topics. Sorry but your one woman PR campaign won’t work here.

• Heart

Oh my that bio is horribly contrived. It doesn’t flow at all, which for a writer is an interesting one. The travel thing always amused me, they never leave MK other than for Arizona - 2 bland places.

• Haha
Thread #4 suggestion:

Forget that Susie’s tweets are racist, ableist & full of hate, because here comes Greg with another chick update.

Good point re full name, edit:

Nevermind Susie Verrill’s tweets are racist, ableist & full of hate, because here comes Greg Rutherford with another chick update.

• Heart

Peachy9

VIP Member
I think going back to 2007 is a bit of a stretch isn't it? Also I don't find these THAT bad, I mean heshe isn't great but I'm sure I've said worse when I was that age and thought it was funny.
I think it just reinforces the type of person she is. She has an endless stream of tweets over a decade and doesn't seem to have had any personal growth in terms of her views. I refuse to believe that just because she now has a fiancé who has won masterchef, that her views have suddenly become inclusive 🤷

I am actually disgusted at that “apology”. She is a disgrace. “Whether or not I said things 5 or 6 years ago” You DID Susan, YOU SAID those awful things. We have the proof.
Also implying those tweets weren’t considered offensive at the time is so upsetting and insulting to every single person she targeted in those tweets. She clearly thinks her followers are idiots.

And playing the victim? Give me a break. What an awful human being she is.

TheGreatestShowman

Chatty Member
Her “apology” was like a defence statement being read out in court.
There are so many inconsistencies and holes in her story.
The biggest issue is her opinion that those tweets weren’t as offensive back then as they are now.
I totally understand her motivation to try and claw her way back onto Instagram. She really really rates herself - she ADORES thinking that she is famous ( bless her).
As a parent , she has over exposed the children on social media, despite knowing the pitfalls of doing so.
That is a choice they have made as parents in order to profit financially.
I am sure that must have been humiliating for her to film that video , so humiliating that she couldn’t find it inside herself to say I’m sorry.
All I see is a really immature woman.

• Heart

VanillaIce

I remember the nursery thing.

Milo was starting to use negative language and lots of "no" to everything and they weren't happy with his care there.
So they pulled him out 😂 ahhh the hypocrisy.
Negative language.. what like “I don’t like these stupid fucking clothes you put me in”? 🤣

• Haha

Slip slip knit

Chatty Member
Pretty sure those comments were controversial 6/7 years ago. They arent just controversial because of the current climate.
Yes! By saying that she completely shows she doesn’t understand she did anything wrong in the first place! It wasn’t right then and it’s not right now. And I don’t give a fuck if you were only ‘jesting’ about disabled children, it’s never been fucking funny!

• Heart

EddieBeds

VIP Member
New to this thread after seeing her “apology”. I don’t condone any of the nasty, racist tweets at all but hoping to share some insight having worked on a number of D&I projects etc through my work and a slightly different perspective (again I’m not from Gleam and think her tweets were disgraceful!). Firstly, living and growing up in predominantly white or all white places, unfortunately there is a very backwards view on POC and immigrants. Usually it’s a behaviour passed on from parents and society and in truth, sounds like SV had a rude awakening when she moved to Croydon growing up where she did. These people know NO better, they’re often the older generation. Certain jibes against other ethnicities and cultures back then (think circa Little Britain) were more the norm and I think her need to be “funny” and outspoken on Twitter was hugely misdirected and this coupled with her ignorance and quite possibly racist upbringing led to thinking those tweets were OK. I genuinely do believe that people grow up and people start to educate themselves, especially people who move to multicultural cities and become exposed to life outside their hometown. You’re expecting someone who has been brought up in a certain way to change their natural thoughts and behaviours just because we know it’s wrong, but it’s an education process. Basic human rights shouldn’t be an education process but look where we were even a mere 50 years ago. Two ways I feel about her stories tonight...firstly I think she is trying to stay void of emotion and just get through what she wants to say, like others have said if she cried she’d be accused of turning on the waterworks for sympathy - but this is who she is. She has always conducted herself in this way when addressing serious topics, it’s usually to deflect or how someone who struggles with expressing empathy/emotion puts up a wall to not let things in. Not saying this is right, but let’s be honest I don’t think there was much she could have done to rectify this right now. Just think we all need to be a little kinder in these times - Shes been called out, likely to lose her career and any partnerships/income and I think she knows along with everyone else that she’s royally fucked up. it’s going to be those poor kids who suffer in the long run if people keep berating her/Greg on here. Best way to get her to face the repercussions is to stop giving her the air time. Also remember everyone’s on their own journey. Ex offenders turn their lives around everyday after committing terrible crimes (George Floyd for example), so what’s to say someone like SV can’t do the same.
I appreciate you have a different view point on this but this comes across as excusing a lot of her behaviour.

Grew up in the arse end of nowhere/countryside and this was not deemed acceptable behaviour, my parents nor my grandparents would have tolerated me or other family members spouting half of what Susie did. That isn’t to side step my white privilege either. While I won’t deny that some people where I grew up held different views please don’t assume everyone who grew up in a white area is racist or use that as a way to excuse/limit the impact of their behaviour. It also implies that racism doesn’t exist in cities when it does. Likewise using the time/era/year she tweeted to diminish their impact sounds like it’s excusing her behaviour and again assumes everyone behaved that way/felt it was acceptable when that wasn’t the case.

In her ‘apology’ Susie down played her tweets, ‘whether I did or didn’t’ when the evidence is plain to see - if you go back to the beginning of this thread or the previous one you’ll see the full extent of her tweets. They weren’t just racist they were also aimed at vulnerable members of society who can’t defend themselves, including disabled children.

As previously mentioned I think people should be able to rehabilitate themselves but part of that is owning/taking full responsibility for your actions - not once did she actually say ‘sorry’ and she downplayed her tweets and even cast doubt on if they existed with the whole ‘whether I did or didn’t’. I agree if she’d cried that would have felt wrong but she could have shown sincerity. The threats to her and her family are inexcusable but now wasn’t the time to mention it. This wasn’t about her - it was about her sincerely apologising for her actions, demonstrating that learning journey she is on. Instead she came off as arrogant and defensive and using DMs to hide any genuine criticism/difference of opinion. Lots of people on here have suggested how she could have handled this sincerely/genuinely - if they were being unkind they wouldn’t have taken the time to say this.

Susie was also very performative in her stories regarding BLM and calling out other people when she didn’t have her own house in order. If she had educated herself as she grew up why would she leave those tweets for the world to see - surely you’d go back and remove them as you’d be deeply embarrassed/horrified by them. Susie could have still referenced what she calls her ‘performative’ comments when telling others how to better themselves.

The comparison to George Floyd is crass and insensitive.

While not your intention ‘be kinder’ is often used to cancel people - especially around key issues/concerns. I don’t think people are being unkind - we don’t know if she will lose her Instagram career, only time will tell on that front. In life there are repercussions for behaviour - most people would face disciplinary action/sacking from their job if they expressed the views Susie did. Greg works/has a lucrative career - I don’t think their children will suffer and being the age they are, are hopefully oblivious. Also there is nothing stopping her from going and getting a ‘normal’ job in the real world while she takes the time to learn/better herself.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Peachesplease

I actually unfollowed her years ago. She wrote a post about ‘always flying first class’ but chose to fly economy class ‘to see what it was like’ Lol... so it would help her relate to the peasants that follow her
No no! It was premium economy! She wasn't going to stoop as far as economy!!

• Haha
  • Wow