Susie Verrill #2 woke in the streets, racist in the tweets.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm a knitter, and for those who aren't, last year a massive discussion about race started in the knitting community, mainly on Instagram. One thing that BAME people often expressed frustration with during that time was when white people would close their comments on posts about the subject, especially after they'd already received comments from BAME folk as it's essentially deleting their work.

In my view she needed to quit the kids books stuff, make a post explaining what anti-racist work she was going to do herself (there's no shortage of resources being recommended everywhere at the moment), and leave the comments open. Then she could engage with those who are angry or disappointed, and directly tell the white women who are fawning over her that it isn't for them to forgive or absolve her.

But all of that assumes she actually cares; otherwise, deleting and hiding until it blows over is probably the best/most cynical way forward. Sigh.

Reactions: 16
I'm a knitter, and for those who aren't, last year a massive discussion about race started in the knitting community, mainly on Instagram. One thing that BAME people often expressed frustration with during that time was when white people would close their comments on posts about the subject, especially after they'd already received comments from BAME folk as it's essentially deleting their work.

In my view she needed to quit the kids books stuff, make a post explaining what anti-racist work she was going to do herself (there's no shortage of resources being recommended everywhere at the moment), and leave the comments open. Then she could engage with those who are angry or disappointed, and directly tell the white women who are fawning over her that it isn't for them to forgive or absolve her.

But all of that assumes she actually cares; otherwise, deleting and hiding until it blows over is probably the best/most cynical way forward. Sigh.
Am also a knitter and followed all of the knitting racism discussion. It really educated me and showed how Instagram could be used for change. I talked to lots of friends about what was happening and they were so surprised that the knitting community were doing the work they were.

Reactions: 7
I’m usually a lurker on here too, I like reading the gossip. I can’t help thinking that this thread is completely missing the point of what is happening in the world. Instead of going after someone for something that was written 6 years ago shouldn’t we be using the time to educate ourselves? I don’t and have never considered myself racist but I can’t be sure I haven’t said something unconsciously racist and I’m really glad there was no twitter or Instagram when I was in my 20s. It doesn’t sit right with me to be emailing companies saying have you read these 6 year old tweets. They have kids, they have bills to pay
LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
No one has responded yet but I messaged Now TV, little kids dishes, Hartley's jelly too. If they don't reply I might send them the Regatta message to show how they should be responding.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I’m usually a lurker on here too, I like reading the gossip. I can’t help thinking that this thread is completely missing the point of what is happening in the world. Instead of going after someone for something that was written 6 years ago shouldn’t we be using the time to educate ourselves? I don’t and have never considered myself racist but I can’t be sure I haven’t said something unconsciously racist and I’m really glad there was no twitter or Instagram when I was in my 20s. It doesn’t sit right with me to be emailing companies saying have you read these 6 year old tweets. They have kids, they have bills to pay
Actions have consequences.
Its not about 6 year old tweets, its the virtue signalling, its the patronising "look how woke i am doing xyz for the kids", giving many maby examples of books etc. Its the hypocrisy of calling (rightly so) MOD out last year when actually it comes to light that she holds/held some abhorrent views. She should be held to account. 6 years is not thay long ago.
She may have educated herself, i hope she has. However it takes away from the important messages that are coming out. Also will all the instahuns promoting blm, call her out? Will be interesting to see.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Hello fellow knitter! I would say the last year in the knitting world has been a huge eye opener for me, I’ve definitely reflected on my own behaviour and spoke out more since it all started.
Sorry to derail from Suze everyone, got a bit excited then!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
The problem is that she only owned up when someone else highlighted her previous tweets to her. Then instead of owning it outright it became about her and she then blamed her upbringing/where she grew up. The comments were flooded with others praising her for being brave - it wasn’t brave. Her post was reactive to someone highlighting her past behaviour. In owning it she could have reflected on what resources she is using to educate herself and then stepped away for a bit.

Previous to this she had been posting telling others what they could/should be doing instead of getting her own house in order. Add in to this her diluting the severity of her tweets in her post (plenty have been shown in this thread and the previous one) and claiming she was much younger when she made the comments - she was in her mid 20s (6 years ago) and it wasn’t acceptable to say comments like she did let alone publicly post them as she did. Alongside this she claimed she’d deactivated Twitter the day before in response to upsetting BLM videos - this was quite clearly a lie as I and others were able to view said tweets yesterday morning. It all came across and disingenuous and insincere.

Personally I don’t like the defence ‘we’ve all said things’ that was used a lot in the comments on yesterday’s post - we haven’t all said racist things nor posted racist things on social media either. That doesn’t exempt me or others from the benefits I’ve had due to my privilege (and am educating myself on further) but many of us have known that you don’t make racist comments and you certainly don’t post them online from a young age. That can’t be used as an excuse.

If she’d actually owned it outright and appropriately while people would have rightly condoned her tweets they would have potentially respected that she was educating herself to change for the better.
Now with the post this morning and it’s subsequent deletion (and previous virtue signalling) it just comes across as damage limitation as opposed to anything genuine.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
The problem is that she only owned up when someone else highlighted her previous tweets to her. Then instead of owning it outright it became about her and she then blamed her upbringing/where she grew up. The comments were flooded with others praising her for being brave - it wasn’t brave. Her post was reactive to someone highlighting her past behaviour. In owning it she could have reflected on what resources she is using to educate herself and then stepped away for a bit.

Previous to this she had been posting telling others what they could/should be doing instead of getting her own house in order. Add in to this her diluting the severity of her tweets in her post (plenty have been shown in this thread and the previous one) and claiming she was much younger when she made the comments - she was in her mid 20s (6 years ago) and it wasn’t acceptable to say comments like she did let alone publicly post them as she did. Alongside this she claimed she’d deactivated Twitter the day before in response to upsetting BLM videos - this was quite clearly a lie as I and others were able to view said tweets yesterday morning. It all came across and disingenuous and insincere.

Personally I don’t like the defence ‘we’ve all said things’ that was used a lot in the comments on yesterday’s post - we haven’t all said racist things nor posted racist things on social media either. That doesn’t exempt me or others from the benefits I’ve had due to my privilege (and am educating myself on further) but many of us have known that you don’t make racist comments and you certainly don’t post them online from a young age. That can’t be used as an excuse.

If she’d actually owned it outright and appropriately while people would have rightly condoned her tweets they would have potentially respected that she was educating herself to change for the better.
Now with the post this morning and it’s subsequent deletion (and previous virtue signalling) it just comes across as damage limitation as opposed to anything genuine.
What was the post this morning? Does anyone have a screenshot?

Reactions: 1
The problem is that she only owned up when someone else highlighted her previous tweets to her. Then instead of owning it outright it became about her and she then blamed her upbringing/where she grew up. The comments were flooded with others praising her for being brave - it wasn’t brave.
The vast majority of people calling her brave were white folk too; white folk don’t get to accept that apology or call anyone brave at the moment. It’s not their apology to accept or their place to applaud the supposed bravery

• Heart
Reactions: 17

This is articulating exactly what I think, thank you.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
What was the post this morning? Does anyone have a screenshot?
I think it’s a few pages back on this thread.

The vast majority of people calling her brave were white folk too; white folk don’t get to accept that apology or call anyone brave at the moment. It’s not their apology to accept or their place to applaud the supposed bravery
And yes to this - completely agree.

Reactions: 4
Is Sophie no longer with Susie's brother? I thought they only recently got married?

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.