Sunbeamsjess #2 we put the same effort into this title as she does her content

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think 50k isn’t enough to live off for most couples with a child and I suspect it’s probably closer to 100k, but let’s say she’s earning 50k minimum a year. 50k is a lot when that’s almost all disposable income. The Trust probably paid for most of the house and most of the renovations. She’s already said her parents or at least her mum, have gifted things like tables and other furniture for birthdays and Christmas. Which for me would be an IKEA table from fb marketplace but she was looking at 1000s of pounds worth of furniture. She probably has a smaller than normal mortgage, from trust. Doesn’t pay rent probably doesn’t pay any bills or for things like food. Given how much normal parents faun over their first grandchild and buy them clothes and toys etc, her parents probably bought a lot of stuff for baby. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they had money set aside for Ines.
Then for things like clothes and beauty and treatments and even books she gets gifted or will be given an amount of money to spend on somewhere like farfetch or Net a Porter or missoma for new items to show in her ads. I know a friend of mine from school has 1000-1300 followers she got 100£ to spend on mejuri and another £100ish for her posting them so I imagine she’s at least getting a few grand to spend and post.
They will probably never have to truly stress about money they may in a few years realise they need jobs to sustain the level of comfort they’re used to but I don’t think they’ll both really be needing 9-5s. But should they get part time or even jobs volunteering, yes, just for something to do. Been off sick for 3 months and even though half that has been in hospital and sleeping I am still bleeping bored.

Reactions: 4
Watching her June/July book video and I can't grasp her taste. The majority of the books she reads are high-brow literature but her explanations of whether she likes or dislikes a book never seem cohesive to me... does anyone else feel like this? I remember her review of The Dutch House winding me up because she said she thinks she didn't like it purely because it was narrated by Tom Hanks (what?) and she started off the Mieville book review by saying nearly all of it's originality is in literary techniques that normally set off red flags for her and then called it pretentious... but she loved it! wondering if she regrets buying all the covers solely based on the way they'd look on her shelves. Eye roll. But maybe I'm nit-picking.

Reactions: 17
Watching her June/July book video and I can't grasp her taste. The majority of the books she reads are high-brow literature but her explanations of whether she likes or dislikes a book never seem cohesive to me... does anyone else feel like this? I remember her review of The Dutch House winding me up because she said she thinks she didn't like it purely because it was narrated by Tom Hanks (what?) and she started off the Mieville book review by saying nearly all of it's originality is in literary techniques that normally set off red flags for her and then called it pretentious... but she loved it! wondering if she regrets buying all the covers solely based on the way they'd look on her shelves. Eye roll. But maybe I'm nit-picking.
I think she is very pretentious about reviews. She wants to sound deeper than she actually is. This is the girl who stopped giving books ratings on Goodreads because she felt she was above that sort of system. Jess, girl, it’s a system for a reason. Ratings help to see how someone, you know, rates a book 😬

• Wow
Reactions: 15
Her reviews have always been surface level and she's never really been good at going in depth on anything she reads, it's more her telling you what the books about and then sort of explaining if she liked or disliked it but it's not in depth. She calls a book pretentious but doesn't really say why she thinks that and will go on about a book having problematic elements but doesn't seem to understand that no book is going to be 100% morally perfect or not problematic, there's no critical thinking that goes into her reviews. That's why I don't watch her reviews, I just skip around to find out what she's read because I don't feel like I get anything from her other than just she liked or didn't like a book.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Her written reviews are much better if anyone looks at her blog - she seems to be best at expressing herself that way , it seems as though big spoken reviews in videos make her tired

Reactions: 3
I rarely watch her book videos since we have such opposite tastes. I feel like she goes in way too hard on some books for no reason. And the whole describing something as problematic and then writing it off because of that never sits right with me. I don’t know if she still does that though

Reactions: 6
The review for China Miéville was all over the place
Totally agree. Makes me think she's more into hoarding books and pretty spines for her shelves than she is into reading them. I'm impressed by how much she reads but then again she doesn't do a whole lot else, her yt is mostly managed by Zach if I'm not mistaken?

Her written reviews are much better if anyone looks at her blog - she seems to be best at expressing herself that way , it seems as though big spoken reviews in videos make her tired
Agree with this too. I think both her written and spoken reviews are well articulated and thought through but even on her blog they seem to lack depth, and she makes a lot of points without taking them anywhere.

From her blog:
"Judging by a quick skim of the reviews I wasn't sure that it would be for me as many people commented on (or complained about) the verbose prose - not typically my cup of tea. I suppose I thought it might be a bit pretentious. But I ended up loving it so much I went out (or rather went online) and bought nearly all of Miéville's other work."

which strikes me as nothing other than absolutely ludicrous. Not that I'm in any position to judge others on what they spend their money on or book buying habits but it doesn't sit right with me. I also HATE that she buys the physical copies of the books she listens to and reads on her kindle. She already has them forever? And justifies keeping her books because looking at them reminds her of reading them and that time in her life... but she didn't read those physical copies. Seems very wasteful & if that's how she feels she should just buy the physical copies and read only those. When she goes on holiday she hardly seems to use a kindle so why bother supporting a company like Amazon. She never seems to buy second hand or speak about supporting local bookshops (pls correct me if I'm wrong). I don't know... I know none of her other buying habits are exemplary or sustainable but I love her outspoken stance on political issues, I just wish her actions in all aspects of her life backed the extremity of her words. And she's clearly very wealthy, I do hope she donates some of that wealth to causes she cares for.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I've side-eyed her book reviews ever since I started listening to The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (the first book of the series she RAVED AND RAVED about and did her Master's on) and it was just....young teenage girl is pursued by horny deity??? Hopefully that's not really spoilers of any sort if anyone else wanted to read the series, but I read an Amazon review that basically said the same thing, that it's fantasy smut and not really an epic fantasy novel (which is what Jess made it sound like). I half suspect the reason she made such a huge deal about loving them was that they won awards AND had a Black author, so it made her look more socially aware.

Reactions: 6
I've side-eyed her book reviews ever since I started listening to The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (the first book of the series she RAVED AND RAVED about and did her Master's on) and it was just....young teenage girl is pursued by horny deity??? Hopefully that's not really spoilers of any sort if anyone else wanted to read the series, but I read an Amazon review that basically said the same thing, that it's fantasy smut and not really an epic fantasy novel (which is what Jess made it sound like). I half suspect the reason she made such a huge deal about loving them was that they won awards AND had a Black author, so it made her look more socially aware.
Lol that's funny if it is one of those lustful fantasy series.

She does seem to be drawn towards the award winning/nominated books. IMO that would be fine to do if there was some kind of effort with the man booker for example of "i'm going to read the entire longlist before the shortlist/winners are announced and give my predictions for the shortlist and the winner" or idk something like that.

I've mentioned Leena Norms before and I'm not even really subscribed to her nor do I really watch her videos but her book ones do get recommended to me and I can't help but prefer the way she executes those videos.

Reactions: 2
Totally agree. Makes me think she's more into hoarding books and pretty spines for her shelves than she is into reading them. I'm impressed by how much she reads but then again she doesn't do a whole lot else, her yt is mostly managed by Zach if I'm not mistaken?

Agree with this too. I think both her written and spoken reviews are well articulated and thought through but even on her blog they seem to lack depth, and she makes a lot of points without taking them anywhere.

From her blog:
"Judging by a quick skim of the reviews I wasn't sure that it would be for me as many people commented on (or complained about) the verbose prose - not typically my cup of tea. I suppose I thought it might be a bit pretentious. But I ended up loving it so much I went out (or rather went online) and bought nearly all of Miéville's other work."

which strikes me as nothing other than absolutely ludicrous. Not that I'm in any position to judge others on what they spend their money on or book buying habits but it doesn't sit right with me. I also HATE that she buys the physical copies of the books she listens to and reads on her kindle. She already has them forever? And justifies keeping her books because looking at them reminds her of reading them and that time in her life... but she didn't read those physical copies. Seems very wasteful & if that's how she feels she should just buy the physical copies and read only those. When she goes on holiday she hardly seems to use a kindle so why bother supporting a company like Amazon. She never seems to buy second hand or speak about supporting local bookshops (pls correct me if I'm wrong). I don't know... I know none of her other buying habits are exemplary or sustainable but I love her outspoken stance on political issues, I just wish her actions in all aspects of her life backed the extremity of her words. And she's clearly very wealthy, I do hope she donates some of that wealth to causes she cares for.
She treats her books the same way she treats her clothes. Once she found a piece that she loves she buys them in bulk. Even though one or two is more than enough.

She has this habit since her childhood/teenage days. Remember the obsession with the Jeffrey Campbell and D. Martens? She bought almost every single pair Even though one or two is more than enough.

Reactions: 18
Lol that's funny if it is one of those lustful fantasy series.

She does seem to be drawn towards the award winning/nominated books. IMO that would be fine to do if there was some kind of effort with the man booker for example of "i'm going to read the entire longlist before the shortlist/winners are announced and give my predictions for the shortlist and the winner" or idk something like that.

I've mentioned Leena Norms before and I'm not even really subscribed to her nor do I really watch her videos but her book ones do get recommended to me and I can't help but prefer the way she executes those videos.
I like Leena from what I've seen of her, which is only a few YT videos but I do follow her on insta. I think her job used to be book related right, publishing or something.

Wait, I thought she wrote her master's dissertation on the Broken Earth trilogy?

I suspect Jess is going to have a full-on library room in the new house and that is why she is seemingly buying books just to buy them. I love buying books as well and enjoy seeing them on my shelves, but I have never bought or heard of anyone buying a book they did not enjoy after reading it on a Kindle or wherever. I think she will probably have a room with floor to ceiling shelves the whole way round and that's why she feels the need to have so many books.

Reactions: 17
Yeah I thought she did her Master's dissertation on the Broken Earth trilogy, not The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

Reactions: 5
Oh you're right, I think I'm remembering when she'd said she originally wanted to do her Master's dissertation on the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms but then didn't want to analyze them that in depth because she was afraid it would ruin the books for her. Still though, the reason was because she didn't want them ruined, not because they weren't worth doing a dissertation on lol.

And if anyone was wondering, she did her undergrad dissertation on A Brief History of Seven Killings and Caribbean literature in general. She was super secretive about her diss topic and said she wanted to 'keep it for herself'' (lol) but later revealed it in her bookshelf tour.
In general actually I've noticed Jess isn't a very generous person (with her time, with responding to followers, never does little giveaways for followers, is unnecessarily secretive about information, hoards her pr gifts rather than donating) and likes to 'keep things to herself' and be generally self-indulgent. Despite broadcasting that she reads world literature, she only really gives a damn about herself and her little family bubble.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
And if anyone was wondering, she did her undergrad dissertation on A Brief History of Seven Killings and Caribbean literature in general. She was super secretive about her diss topic and said she wanted to 'keep it for herself'' (lol) but later revealed it in her bookshelf tour.
In general actually I've noticed Jess isn't a very generous person (with her time, with responding to followers, never does little giveaways for followers, is unnecessarily secretive about information, hoards her pr gifts rather than donating) and likes to 'keep things to herself' and be generally self-indulgent. Despite broadcasting that she reads world literature, she only really gives a damn about herself and her little family bubble.
This is spot on.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm following Jess for a while now and recently I was watching her 2014 vlogs and I noticed that her style was totally different and good. Not much those big skull rings, she was herself and then she completely adapted Zak's style. Oversized everything which doesn't look that good on her.

Reactions: 9
Yeah the uni lookbooks from when she was in Edinburgh were my absolute faves and inspired me to try new styles that I otherwise never would have. Now I can’t relate to her or her style at all anymore sadly

Reactions: 16
She used to wear great things around the holidays, sparkly suits, high-heeled boots, etc.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.