Succession #2 HBO

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't know if what Shiv did could be made out as noble or thinking on a higher plane. Jealousy pure and simple.
Nothing on Succession is ever pure, or simple.

The sibling rivalry between the three of them was obviously a massive factor, but both Shiv and Roman foresaw what a monster Kendall would become: Roman faltered before his vote, after Ken deliberately broke open his stitches under the guise of brotherly affection, in order to prevent a last-minute rally from Roman as CEO. Shiv saw Ken do the faux-humble ‘anyone mind if I sit here’ routine and a minute later put his feet up on the desk - there’s no way he wasn’t going to cut Shiv & Roman out of everything the minute he got what he wanted.

Plus Euan’s ‘first do no harm’ reminded Shiv that Kendall has done, and got away with, significant harm. She already had concerns about whether her father had been a ‘bad man’; Kendall was clearly en route to becoming a megalomaniacal nightmare.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Reactions: 18
I read that Tom said he was bringing back Geri, did I miss that bit? Plus, Kendall isn’t impotent? We’ve seen him have sex with Rava, Naomi and the actress from Willis play? I assume he’s infertile though after what Roman said.
I think Kendall was under the influence of drugs every time he had sex or perhaps he's more infertile than impotent.
---
Nothing on Succession is ever that straightforward.

The sibling rivalry between the three of them was obviously a massive factor, but both Shiv and Roman foresaw what a monster Kendall would become: Roman faltered before his vote, after Ken deliberately broke open his stitches under the guise of brotherly affection, in order to prevent a last-minute rally from Roman as CEO. Shiv saw Ken do the faux-humble ‘anyone mind if I sit here’ routine and a minute later put his feet up on the desk - there’s no way he wasn’t going to cut Shiv & Roman out of everything the minute he got what he wanted.

Plus Euan’s ‘first do no harm’ reminded Shiv that Kendall has done, and got away with, significant harm. She already had concerns about whether her father had been a ‘bad man’; Kendall was clearly en route to becoming a megalomaniacal nightmare.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Shiv is not an angel and has no moral compass either. Yes, Kendall would have been terrible maybe but he's more capable of leading the business than Shiv and Roman. Also, Shiv reminding him about the waiter incident was not right and Shiv isn't able to look after her own child (maternity leave for 36 hours, letting other people look after the baby after it is born etc), also drinking in front of Tom to prove a point...I can go on and on about how Shiv has been horrible throughout this season but she is most like Logan emotionally. She is definitely her father's daughter.

Reactions: 6
I think Kendall was under the influence of drugs every time he had sex or perhaps he's more infertile than impotent.
---

Shiv is not an angel and has no moral compass either. Yes, Kendall would have been terrible maybe but he's more capable of leading the business than Shiv and Roman. Also, Shiv reminding him about the waiter incident was not right and Shiv isn't able to look after her own child (maternity leave for 36 hours, letting other people look after the baby after it is born etc), also drinking in front of Tom to prove a point...I can go on and on about how Shiv has been horrible throughout this season but she is most like Logan emotionally. She is definitely her father's daughter.
I’m staking no higher ground for any of them, simply pointing out that their actions are motivated by more complex and messy catalysts than ‘pure and simple jealousy’.

As Roman rightly pointed out, each and every one of them is ‘bullshit’.

Reactions: 9
My favourite part was the division of house contents via stickers, ‘what happened to the medals? Oh they went in the first round’ 😂

And of course the iconic stickering of Greg!

But the whole series has to be summed up by Kendal, c*nt is as c*nt does

Reactions: 15
Someone on Reddit saw him filming the scene where he went to chuck himself in the water and revealed it months back! I thought it was nonsense but it seems not.
ooo well remembered!

it’s such a tragic ending for kendall tbh. i don’t see a way he comes back from it as he almost certainly thought he was promised the job and that it would be the thing that would give his life meaning. what happens to him next? i can’t see anything good :(

ooo well remembered!

it’s such a tragic ending for kendall tbh. i don’t see a way he comes back from it as he almost certainly thought he was promised the job and that it would be the thing that would give his life meaning. what happens to him next? i can’t see anything good :(
there is a quote by Jeremy saying that it’s the end for Kendall, he has nothing left. ☹

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Someone on Reddit saw him filming the scene where he went to chuck himself in the water and revealed it months back! I thought it was nonsense but it seems not.

I wondered if they’d staged a few ‘fake’ filmings to throw people off the scent (like with Brian Cox being present at Logan’s funeral), so when Kendall approached the river I was all 😬😱🙈

That said, I think Kendall’s end scene was pitched perfectly. If JS did in fact ‘method out’ and opt to climb onto the railings I think he hugely misjudged it - far too gauche and heavy handed.

there is a quote by Jeremy saying that it’s the end for Kendall, he has nothing left. ☹
i think that’s accurate :( all of the siblings are completely broken, but i feel like roman has some degree of freedom now (and hopefully will get some serious therapy) and, while shiv is going to turn into her mother, she is carrying the future successor and so the cycle continues with her. kendall is just completely lost. he pushed everyone who potentially cared about him away in pursuit of this thing that he ended up losing anyway. i know we’ll never truly know what happens to him next, but obviously js “knows” him best and i think his version is the truest. poor kendall.

Reactions: 8
I think I'm on my own here but I don't believe it's the end for Kendall. He'll sulk for a bit and then move on to his next obsession. Like when he and his siblings made an attempt at starting their own media venture 'TheHundred' - he seems to fully invest his body and soul into whatever the next deal is. Yea he's devastated about losing Waystar (his supposed birthright) but I can see him moving on to a new nightmarish business idea and the cycle of emotional torture will continue.

Also, isn't Pierce still on the cards? Maybe he's going to head up a direct opposition to the new Waystar. Or did I miss that deal falling through?

Reactions: 12
i think that’s accurate :( all of the siblings are completely broken, but i feel like roman has some degree of freedom now (and hopefully will get some serious therapy) and, while shiv is going to turn into her mother, she is carrying the future successor and so the cycle continues with her. kendall is just completely lost. he pushed everyone who potentially cared about him away in pursuit of this thing that he ended up losing anyway. i know we’ll never truly know what happens to him next, but obviously js “knows” him best and i think his version is the truest. poor kendall.

I’ve been thinking about this too: Roman, Shiv & Connor are all going to be fundamentally ok, I think. Connor seems happy with his lot and will bumble along with his trophy wife and his collection of fake medals. Shiv might not be CEO, but she’s far closer to the seat of power than she would have been if Kendall had ‘won’, and in thirty years time she’ll be complaining to her kids about all the board meetings that got in the way of her family dinners. Roman looked like he’d finally found some peace by being free of all this tit.

But Kendall has got nothing. He’s lost all sides of his family, he has no business connections left, and the thing he so desperately wanted from the age of 7 just blew up in his face. All he’s got is a giant wad of cash, so at least he can afford all the high-end, intensive therapy he clearly needs.

• Heart
I think I'm on my own here but I don't believe it's the end for Kendall. He'll sulk for a bit and then move on to his next obsession. Like when he and his siblings made an attempt at starting their own media venture 'TheHundred' - he seems to fully invest his body and soul into whatever the next deal is. Yea he's devastated about losing Waystar (his supposed birthright) but I can see him moving on to a new nightmarish business idea and the cycle of emotional torture will continue.

Also, isn't Pierce still on the cards? Maybe he's going to head up a direct opposition to the new Waystar. Or did I miss that deal falling through?
I see it as Kendall will be all depressed and get really back into drugs like we’ve seen before and keep trying at failed ventures like The Hundred or purchase other tech start ups. He’d continue to cycle through the various traumas, ignore his kids and alienate them and Rava further and probably end up killing himself or overdosing.

I’ve been thinking about this too: Roman, Shiv & Connor are all going to be fundamentally ok, I think. Connor seems happy with his lot and will bumble along with his trophy wife and his collection of fake medals. Shiv might not be CEO, but she’s far closer to the seat of power than she would have been if Kendall had ‘won’, and in thirty years time she’ll be complaining to her kids about all the board meetings that got in the way of her family dinners. Roman looked like he’d finally found some peace by being free of all this tit.

But Kendall has got nothing. He’s lost all sides of his family, he has no business connections left, and the thing he so desperately wanted from the age of 7 just blew up in his face. All he’s got is a giant wad of cash, so at least he can afford all the high-end, intensive therapy he clearly needs.
exactly this 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

they all didn’t “win” but kendall is absolutely the one who truly lost. if that makes sense!

• Heart
exactly this 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

they all didn’t “win” but kendall is absolutely the one who truly lost. if that makes sense!
I felt hope for Roman in that last scene with his cocktail when he smiled . Now he’s sold the company he can finally try to move on from all the toxicity he was dealing with. He needs so much therapy 🩷

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I think Kendall will have taken his own life after everything. It certainly always seemed like he was heading that way, and I genuinely thought that would be the last scene but I’m glad they didn’t go there and just left it open to interpretation.

• Sad
I felt hope for Roman in that last scene with his cocktail when he smiled . Now he’s sold the company he can finally try to move on from all the toxicity he was dealing with. He needs so much therapy 🩷
yes!!! it was absolutely (imo) a hopeful ending for him (kieran acted it so well in that you could almost see that he’d dropped that weight he was carrying) - i do think there’s a good person at the core of roman, so hopefully he uses this freedom to (a) get therapy and (b) find something that truly interests him. he did have some business talent tbh, if he could find the right place for it 💙

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Just remembered another favourite moment of the episode - Mattson: ‘we’re like Jesus and the disciples - and hey, Judas is here too!’ 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 22