Styled By Susie #3 Silence by Susie, Patreon fail, she'll write it all up in the Daily Mail

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I gave Susie a pair when I started last year and Emily and Karina model the seasons edit so they were free in exchange for pictures I could use. All others have been bought by them
So they should’ve been declared by all of the above.
Those are #Ads. And for transparency any further posts with your items in should be marked as “previously worked with” or similar so that everyone is aware.

Vixmeldrew explains it better than me:
A6F553FD-71D7-4B8F-B293-223B4C3657FA.jpeg

15B4F3B8-4870-417F-84EC-7985287CF1A1.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 13
So they should be putting #gifted on the ones they got for free is how I'm reading that? I shall chat to everyone I work with to check they are all aware of the guidelines.

Reactions: 11
For further clarity:

All content created with a commercial interest HAS TO BE marked as an AD (and should come at the beginning of the post. Not in the middle or end).

Commercial interest = sponsored, gifted, affiliates, PR invites

If you choose to use #aff #gifted tags you still need to use #Ad as well

So they should be putting #gifted on the ones they got for free is how I'm reading that? I shall chat to everyone I work with to check they are all aware of the guidelines.
I really recommend following someone like Vixmeldrew or similar who gives excellent advice on stuff like this. From ads to curating your feed to ... everything really. There are a few others I follow but I find Vix to be clear and concise.

And just to add I dont think anyone here has any negativity towards you or your business and appreciate you coming on to set things straight.

Reactions: 21
I don't understand all this ista influencer shite...so.... If someone was given a product for free and posted it they'd have to tag #gifted?
If someone is paid to promote the product its #ad?
Or if they promote a product and gain money from swipe ups etc is it #affiliate?
Just so I can get this straight 🥴🥴🥴
This is all correct x

Yes if they were gifted and promoted it needs to state gifted in their online description.

Your a small company starting out don't worry its actually not for you to tell people but for the person recommending to be aware, they can fine someone if they are promoting and that person isn't saying where its from tis all xx

Reactions: 9
So just thought I'd reply as I am Kerry from Trend Tonic and don't like seeing my business slated. I hand make everything, Ali express is known for ripping off others brands but what your screenshot from my website is a lightning bolt which many brands do and I haven't claimed as unique. All my items are made from cork leather which is sustainable and I have a tree planted for every pair bought. I did the seasons edit with Emily as a Collaboration which is why she's 'plastered' all over the website and this has never been hidden. I was colour trained by colour me beautiful a completely seperate business to Susie and I offered her the patreon discount as a business move because it's where my customers are based. Just like I have discounts on other style pages and stylists newsletters etc. A lot of the ladies on the new group wear my earrings which I'm extremely proud and has nothing to do with being affiliated with anyone and more to do with the fact I've spent ages learning how to make bloody good earrings 😂 I think I've covered everything but I'm open and happy to answer any other questions
Apologies if it came across that I doubted your products, good luck with your business. Looks like its becoming very popular!

Reactions: 6
Thanks everyone, I was very upset by the original comments from pissedoffwithinfluencers but everyone else has given valid information I will be implementing so thank you x

Reactions: 20
Any business starting out, large or small should make sure they’re aware of the ASA guidelines. They’ve been around for a very long time, they’re not new. So there’s really no excuse. FAO: SBS.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
So they should’ve been declared by all of the above.
Those are #Ads. And for transparency any further posts with your items in should be marked as “previously worked with” or similar so that everyone is aware.

Vixmeldrew explains it better than me:
View attachment 246088
View attachment 246089
Thank for this derailing the thread slightly but where do things where somebody has (more than likely) gifted an item to somebody and then themselves or somebody else post pictures ‘wow here is ‘such and such’ in our product’ should they be declaring then that they are gifted items and do FB groups count as should ADs and gifts be declared in groups?

Reactions: 1
Just reread your post, they don't make any money from recommending me?
How do you know they don’t? If they are registered to affiliate programs such as rstyle, like to know etc. Then each time they refer or someone clicks a link it’s pennies in their pockets. Just Cos you don’t give them money directly doesn’t mean they can’t still make money from your items

I gave Susie a pair when I started last year and Emily and Karina model the seasons edit so they were free in exchange for pictures I could use. All others have been bought by them
That’s an obvious ad? ‘Free in exhange for’

you gave the earrings so you could have pics. You probably need to look more into the ASA guidelines...

Thank for this derailing the thread slightly but where do things where somebody has (more than likely) gifted an item to somebody and then themselves or somebody else post pictures ‘wow here is ‘such and such’ in our product’ should they be declaring then that they are gifted items and do FB groups count as should ADs and gifts be declared in groups?
Yes that is also an ad - eg in the Mrs hinch world, ppl who had gifted her stuff often screenshot and reposted pics if she wore/used something they gave her (as she didn’t seem to acknowledge the company 🙄). I don’t think they marked it necessarily as ad but they did make it clear it was gifted. And yes same thing on fb group applies. Asa is not just for Instagram

Last edited:
I'm not on rstyle or like to know and neither are the people that have my earrings. I was stating that I don't personally pay anyone to wear my products. I am looking more into ASA guidelines now, I'm happy to admit as a human mistakes are made especially when starting out but equally I am not in control of others social posts.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I'm not on rstyle or like to know and neither are the people that have my earrings. I was stating that I don't personally pay anyone to wear my products. I am looking more into ASA guidelines now, I'm happy to admit as a human mistakes are made especially when starting out but equally I am not in control of others social posts.
Im not having a go, sorry if it comes across like that! I am just saying that even if you are being clear and transparent doesn’t mean that others are
Too. I don’t mind if ppl are on affiliate programs or whatever, more power to them, but they should be clear with letting ppl know so that they can choose whether or not to click those links.

Reactions: 1
Apologies if I’ve got this wrong, but surely it’s the influencers, i.e. SBS and the stylists who should be making the declarations and they are at fault if they fail to do so rather than Trend Tonic?
If TT have stated it’s a collab but the stylist has not, again surely TT are not at fault?
Surely the onus is on the recipient to declare a gift rather than the company giving it?

I may be wrong but that was my interpretation of “the rules” so, if this is the case, then it’s unfair to blame TT for something the “influencers” are failing to do.

Reactions: 12
Ads should be declared on all social media platforms as I understand it.
If a stylist you gifted an item to posted about that item it should be marked #Ad. If you then share that then you need to ask yourself if this is a business transaction? As in, are you sharing this to promote their business too, as well as sharing your own item?

I know it’s a minefield but if I was you and I had gifted some items to a business/stylist and I was under the impression that this was going to help both businesses, by them posting your gifted item and you then reposting their posts (advertising both your item and their service) I’d put something in the post to explain that.

Reactions: 2
Apologies if I’ve got this wrong, but surely it’s the influencers, i.e. SBS and the stylists who should be making the declarations and they are at fault if they fail to do so rather than Trend Tonic?
If TT have stated it’s a collab but the stylist has not, again surely TT are not at fault?
Surely the onus is on the recipient to declare a gift rather than the company giving it?

I may be wrong but that was my interpretation of “the rules” so, if this is the case, then it’s unfair to blame TT for something the “influencers” are failing to do.
I agree it’s for the instagrammers to do but the company gifting should also know about the rules and if they go on to use pics etc then they can mark as ‘gifted items in shot’ or something. I’ve seen people do that.

Who knows?! It’s all a minefield!

Reactions: 2
Someone on MN has also been sent a threatening email from SBS
Oh wow! Seems there are several then. Still interested in how the lady who posted about it on here knew, wondering if she is a friend of susies but trying to warn people

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.