Stupid things you used to believe

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think the sic stands for 'said in context'? X
It's from a Latin phrase but means 'thus it was written'. (sic erat scriptum)

When I was a little girl my mum told me that if you put some salt on a sparrow's tail it will become your friend. I must have spent hundreds of silent hours sitting on the back step with a handful of salt.

Reactions: 18
As a kid, I used to think that everything in the past was in black-and-white because of old films and TV shows.
My nephew is 16 now, but when he was about 4 he asked his grandmother if it was 'scary' when she was small? She asked him what did he mean and he replied "Because of the dinosaurs Nana".

Reactions: 29
I used to think "bombzittit" was a word for messy room. What I realised years later was that my mother was saying " this room looks like a bomb has hit it", not that it was a "bombzittit".

Reactions: 37
Another babies one... my mum told me that babies come when daddy puts a seed into mummy's tummy. My mum liked gardening and for a while whenever I was with her while she looked at seeds in the garden centre I would be fruitlessly searching for the baby seeds alongside all the flower and veg seeds on the stand

Reactions: 16
When I was little when I was listening to the radio I used to think all the music they played was being performed live at the radio station by the band/singer I used to think it must be so hard getting between all the radio stations on time

It was only a few years ago when I realised ‘the nosebleeds’ at a stadium means you are sat high up and not where you are the most likely to get hit in the face by the ball and I am 28 next week!

Reactions: 9
I had a whole lot of confusion about the concept of reindeers.

I’d only ever heard of them surrounding santa, so thought that they were mythical creatures when I stopped believing in Santa. My mind was blown when I found out that they were real. And then blown AGAIN when I found out they could fly.

Reactions: 14
I genuinely believed babies came out of the mums tummy for years. Just never questioned the how’s or why’s for some reason. It was quite a shock finding out the truth at 9 years old during a sex education class at school.

When it rained I used to think it was giants in the sky having a shower. Can blame jack and the beanstalk for that one

Reactions: 4
I always thought it was a typo and they meant 'ta'!

Reactions: 8
I always thought it was a typo and they meant 'ta'!
I saw this on my local village Spotted page and for a while also thought there's this lady called TIA asking for a lot of advice! Askig for advice on housing extention, a gardener, what times the shops open, etc etc. One busy lady!

Reactions: 4
I thought it was illegal to have the little light on in the car (my parents told me this!)

Reactions: 40
Also when I was little and went into a card shop I thought the Fiancé cards said Finance and thought why on earth would you send a card like that to your accountant didn’t think to ask my mum

Reactions: 11
Also when I was little and went into a card shop I thought the Fiancé cards said Finance and thought why on earth would you send a card like that to your accountant didn’t think to ask my mum

This reminds me of something I saw on FB. The friend kept getting tagged by his fiancée and she kept putting 'to my finance'. It wasn't just once.. it was every time!

Reactions: 8
When I was little I asked my mum how babies got in your tummy and she said they just came by themselves and I worried about that for years as I did not want a baby just turning up whenever it felt like it. It was a relief to find out the truth!
Oh my god me too! I thought adult women would just randomly get pregnant beyond their control My mum said you can take medicine to stop it happening and I remember thinking I didn’t want to take medicine all the time to stop these pesky babies

I used to think that you’d get sucked into an escalator if you didn’t jump over the bit at the end

I was also told it was illegal to have the light on in the car (maybe it is?!)

I also remember going through a phase where I was convinced if I just got the conditions right that I’d be able to fly - I used to try taking a running jump around the playground and was always very disappointed when I didn’t take off

Last edited:
Reactions: 13