Stupid things you used to believe

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think the sic stands for 'said in context'? X
It's from a Latin phrase but means 'thus it was written'. (sic erat scriptum)

When I was a little girl my mum told me that if you put some salt on a sparrow's tail it will become your friend. I must have spent hundreds of silent hours sitting on the back step with a handful of salt.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
As a kid, I used to think that everything in the past was in black-and-white because of old films and TV shows.
My nephew is 16 now, but when he was about 4 he asked his grandmother if it was 'scary' when she was small? She asked him what did he mean and he replied "Because of the dinosaurs Nana".

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I used to think "bombzittit" was a word for messy room. What I realised years later was that my mother was saying " this room looks like a bomb has hit it", not that it was a "bombzittit". :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Another babies one... my mum told me that babies come when daddy puts a seed into mummy's tummy. My mum liked gardening and for a while whenever I was with her while she looked at seeds in the garden centre I would be fruitlessly searching for the baby seeds alongside all the flower and veg seeds on the stand 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 16
When I was little when I was listening to the radio I used to think all the music they played was being performed live at the radio station by the band/singer 😂 I used to think it must be so hard getting between all the radio stations on time 🤣

It was only a few years ago when I realised ‘the nosebleeds’ at a stadium means you are sat high up and not where you are the most likely to get hit in the face by the ball 🙃 and I am 28 next week! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I had a whole lot of confusion about the concept of reindeers.

I’d only ever heard of them surrounding santa, so thought that they were mythical creatures when I stopped believing in Santa. My mind was blown when I found out that they were real. And then blown AGAIN when I found out they could fly.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I genuinely believed babies came out of the mums tummy for years. Just never questioned the how’s or why’s for some reason. It was quite a shock finding out the truth at 9 years old during a sex education class at school.

When it rained I used to think it was giants in the sky having a shower. Can blame jack and the beanstalk for that one🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
On Facebook I used to wonder at how many people were called ‘Tia’ and felt the need to sign off on their posts. Took me friggin ages to realise that it stood for Thanks In Advance. Honestly, I’ve never told anyone that- I just figured it was a really popular name 🤦‍♀️

Please do share yours and reassure me that I am not the only person who can be a bit slow on the uptake 🤪
I always thought it was a typo and they meant 'ta'!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I always thought it was a typo and they meant 'ta'!
I saw this on my local village Spotted page and for a while also thought there's this lady called TIA asking for a lot of advice! Askig for advice on housing extention, a gardener, what times the shops open, etc etc. One busy lady!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I thought it was illegal to have the little light on in the car (my parents told me this!)

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
Also when I was little and went into a card shop I thought the Fiancé cards said Finance and thought why on earth would you send a card like that to your accountant 😂🤦‍♀️ didn’t think to ask my mum 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Also when I was little and went into a card shop I thought the Fiancé cards said Finance and thought why on earth would you send a card like that to your accountant 😂🤦‍♀️ didn’t think to ask my mum 🤣
:LOL:
This reminds me of something I saw on FB. The friend kept getting tagged by his fiancée and she kept putting 'to my finance'. It wasn't just once.. it was every time!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
When I was little I asked my mum how babies got in your tummy and she said they just came by themselves and I worried about that for years as I did not want a baby just turning up whenever it felt like it. It was a relief to find out the truth!
Oh my god me too! I thought adult women would just randomly get pregnant beyond their control 😂 My mum said you can take medicine to stop it happening and I remember thinking I didn’t want to take medicine all the time to stop these pesky babies

I used to think that you’d get sucked into an escalator if you didn’t jump over the bit at the end

I was also told it was illegal to have the light on in the car (maybe it is?!)

I also remember going through a phase where I was convinced if I just got the conditions right that I’d be able to fly - I used to try taking a running jump around the playground and was always very disappointed when I didn’t take off 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13