Strictly Come Dancing 2024 #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ah, she’d be there for a ciggy card and couple of green sheild stamps.

i honestly think the best thing they could do would be to sit some of the pros and Shirley the judges down and explain to them that it’s not the World Championships, it’s a shiny floor show with a trophy that disintegrates as soon as you touch it. None of the celebs are going to have a new career off the back of it, they are not learning to dance … they are just learning a routine.

Then bring in Mr G and his merry band of choreographers and explain to them it’s just a shiny floor Show. The celebs don’t need to train from sun up to sun down incurring all manner of tweaks and niggles from day one, and they certainly aren’t acrobats or gymnasts and so tricks that leave them looking terrified are best left alone.

Then just in case they haven’t got it, explain it’s just a shiny floor show and people want fun and sparkles not someone wafting about in their loungewear pointing to the heavens and doing the reach and grab (Brendan may disagree) to a Hayleyfication of an 80’s soft rock mash-up in honour of Granny Edith’s budgie.
This x 1 trillion

Reactions: 2
Plus, she seems to lack awareness of when to actually boost confidence. She ends up being quite cutting and personal.
I agree. And while the booing from the audience is irritating, she really lets it get to her.
She cut the socks off poor Eddie one week, and the following week gave him a totally undeserved 10. 🤷‍♀️
Bobby was the anointed one in the last series, 'king of ballroom' 🥴 and she had a knife firmly stuck in poor Nigel.

I think the judges do need to reflect on the last series. I still remember Nigel dancing on top of a piano in Blackpool ❤ and then the deflation afterwards. It was clear that he and Katya felt the routine had gone well but no, apparently not. Shirley was not the only one who was unfair to him but she seemed especially determined to undermine hs confidence at every hands turn.

Who is going to let themselves in for that, really! If I remember correctly she was quite nasty to Emma Barton too, although not to the same degree, and only changed her tune after a social media backlash.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I agree. And while the booing from the audience is irritating, she really lets it get to her.
She cut the socks off poor Eddie one week, and the following week gave him a totally undeserved 10. 🤷‍♀️
Bobby was the anointed one in the last series, 'king of ballroom' 🥴 and she had a knife firmly stuck in poor Nigel.

I think the judges do need to reflect on the last series. I still remember Nigel dancing on top of a piano in Blackpool ❤ and then the deflation afterwards. It was clear that he and Katya felt the routine had gone well but no, apparently not. Shirley was not the only one who was unfair to him but she seemed especially determined to undermine hs confidence at every hands turn.

Who is going to let themselves in for that, really! If I remember correctly she was quite nasty to Emma Barton too, although not to the same degree, and only changed her tune after a social media backlash.
I definitely think part of the issue was that Nigel was so affected by criticism, presumably as he's a perfectionist or whatever. The Blackpool routine was not great, but as soon as Craig said the footwork went wrong (having praised other aspects) Nigel looked totally deflated. Motsi really praised him and he couldn't smile at all. Shirley was actually really positive about him, more than Anton and Craig!
So if the memory of Blackpool was that the judges were 'nasty' it's just not true. I don't think the criticism was unfair at all (an unpopular opinion I know!)
Anton was the one who was a total liability last season, descending into gibberish at regular points.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I think the difference is that Craig is clearly playing a character. Plus, she seems to lack awareness of when to actually boost confidence. She ends up being quite cutting and personal.
Len could be awful as well … the series 13 final was particularly joyless as he sat with a face like a smacked bum pointedly huffing about. what ‘he called a Showdance’ … and nothing will ever beat series 6 for sheer judgey teddy throwing.

(Take away Bruno’s whole arm waving schtick and listen to his actual comments … some of them were plain mean).

Reactions: 3
That would be true if Shirley hadn't been unnecessarily harsh to Nigel about mistakes in the weeks beforehand, to the extent where others were making mistakes and she brushed it off as fine but when Nigel did, it was like he'd shat in her sandwich. The problem with Shirley is that she's not consistent and seems to have different standards for different people. I know some people think it's misogynistic to criticize Shirley but people aren't calling her judging our because she's a woman, they're calling it out because it's messy and at times savage.

Anton is a total buffoon though and without doubt the worst judge.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
That would be true if Shirley hadn't been unnecessarily harsh to Nigel about mistakes in the weeks beforehand, to the extent where others were making mistakes and she brushed it off as fine but when Nigel did, it was like he'd shat in her sandwich. The problem with Shirley is that she's not consistent and seems to have different standards for different people. I know some people think it's misogynistic to criticize Shirley but people aren't calling her judging our because she's a woman, they're calling it out because it's messy and at times savage.

Anton is a total buffoon though and without doubt the worst judge.
Well said

👏

Reactions: 1
Shirley obviously has lots of experience and is an extremely talented dancer. I think the issue with Shirley is that she struggles to be objective and push her personal feelings to the side. She picks her favourite at an early stage and instead of giving constructive criticism ignores mistakes and lavishes them with praise. She also will tend to pick one person early on who she will be particularly harsh to. I do think Len was quite similar tbh. I think a big part of the issue with Nigel was how much of a negative impact the criticism clearly had on him. He was so visibly deflated that the judges should have thought about how they delivered their critique. He definitely needed carrot not stick.

Reactions: 7
Shirley was definitely harsh on Nigel (and to some degree Layton too) and the other judges were too, and it made me REALLY angry when they picked up on every tiny mistake Nigel made and then Motsi said to (I think it was Ellie) that mistakes didn't matter??? 😲 Just be consistent. I wasn't even a huge Nigel fan but I was ready to throw something at the TV at that point. 🤬

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I think a lot of the problem is that it’s harder to judge the people who start a level above the rest, like Layton and Nigel this year. A lot of the critiques seem nit picky to the viewer but because there’s the judges and it’s only week 3 there has to be some notes given for things to work on. Someone like Annabel or Bobby or even Ellie had more obvious things, and the improvement was visible. I think the real problem was that Nigel stormed it in week one and then got the yips and in his own head too much … he seems to be someone who only really hears the negative stuff. Layton obviously improved and the final quickstep showed that … but in a way that’s a bit too subtle. I still think the Charleston was Nigel’s storyboarded and designated comeback week. It couldn’t have been more in his wheelhouse if it tried.

Oh Dianne. Maybe if you'd spent less time begging on FB and more on your steps..

This is the 3rd S*n front page about Ellie and Bobby I think? Is anyone that interested? For the enquiring, they went into Ellie’s flat together, doubtless to discuss imminent Bobby’s Hollywood career.

Attachments

I say it every year but truthfully If that prick Jake Quickenden ends up on here I will 100% not watch

I haven't got a clue who Jake Quickenden is and I'm more than happy to never have to find out.

Reactions: 1
I’m still genuinely surprised about Ellie & Bobby! I literally never guess the couples that pop up from Strictly bar Joe & Dianne who I spotted from about week 3 😂 Other than Bobby & Ellie being the only two younger contestants, I’d have never put them together in a million years! I give it until summer 😂

Oh Dianne. Maybe if you'd spent less time begging on FB and more on your steps..

This is the 3rd S*n front page about Ellie and Bobby I think? Is anyone that interested? For the enquiring, they went into Ellie’s flat together, doubtless to discuss imminent Bobby’s Hollywood career.
Scarf visitation time.

Dianne does know it took Kevin 5 (five) finals to win? And Erin was in 2 and wuz robbed didn’t win.

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea. I only know his name from this thread 😆
He was on X-Factor and after he was booted out early, he hopped straight on a plane & went into I’m A Celeb. He came second I think .. behind Carl Fogarty. He went on to date Carl’s daughter for a few years if I remember.. then he’s just been a weird Z lister ever since. He won DOI a few years ago..

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea. I only know his name from this thread 😆
Until the other day I thought he was Only Way is Essex and then I googled him. I doubt SCD would be interested - they like someone they can introduce as 'presenter' or 'documentary maker' not just 'veteran of every reality show that'll have him'. He's not even attractive!
Fleur was known for XFactor and I'm a Celeb, but also had a music career and was presenting.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.