Strictly Come Dancing 2023 #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah, I'm also not bothered what previous dance experience people have, but there has been a definite zoning in on Layton. Possibly because Nigel is more appealing to the general audience than Layton, so it's OK?

There's been nothing like that here, I'll point out, I'm looking more specifically at FB.
Yeah I saw it on FB & X too.

I mean Nigel is a straight white good looking man so regardless he will get through any articles or any comment on his previous experience no bother with the general public. Once again it doesn't mean he shouldn't participate or anyone who has previous experience.

Reactions: 6
It’s interesting as I think Dianne said she liked the fact that Bobby had no dance experience meant clean slate and easier in a way.

Although I liked Leytons dance he needs to rein it in a bit in terms of adding his own bits and outdancing the pro. Think its more a risk in latin.
Interesting to see how he does in ballroom
I think he will learn. He seemed quite shocked by the judges comments as I doubt he has ever been told that he needs to turn out! It is going to be interesting to see if he can reign it in. I think he is getting a rough ride from the public. Danny Mac didn’t get criticised as much for being confident, but he was a straight white man. I think there’s still a lot of homophobia out there and his ‘this is me’ attitude is judged as being uncouth.
- - -
I’m not naming anyone as the winner or even final 3 in week 1. One dance does not make a winner unless there’s only one dance in the competition!
Ellie probably had dance classes as a kid. I also didn’t rate some of her jive technique, but that was ignored because she is young.
I liked Angela S and think she has potential.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think he will learn. He seemed quite shocked by the judges comments as I doubt he has ever been told that he needs to turn out! It is going to be interesting to see if he can reign it in. I think he is getting a rough ride from the public. Danny Mac didn’t get criticised as much for being confident, but he was a straight white man. I think there’s still a lot of homophobia out there and his ‘this is me’ attitude is judged as being uncouth.
- - -
I’m not naming anyone as the winner or even final 3 in week 1. One dance does not make a winner unless there’s only one dance in the competition!
Ellie probably had dance classes as a kid. I also didn’t rate some of her jive technique, but that was ignored because she is young.
Definitely think this is the case. We see over and over again who the public punishes for being confident and who it does not. Flamboyance *and* confidence? Yeah

• Heart
I don't care if some have dance experience because lets be honest we don't want to see 12 Les Dennis's do we? don't get me wrong its nice to see a contestant who isn't very good at the beginning of the series and then each week improve but we don't want 12 absolute dreadfuls.

The worst thing about the first few weeks is when there is so many contestants the show is on way too long and by halfway I'm losing the will to live.

Reactions: 15
Top 3 for me this year :

1. Nigel
2. Nigel's arms
3. Nigel's hands

.......I'm still recovering over here 🔥

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Although I liked Leytons dance he needs to rein it in a bit in terms of adding his own bits and outdancing the pro. Think its more a risk in latin.
Interesting to see how he does in ballroom
He needs to remember he’s not on stage where the back row of the Gods needs to see his facial expressions … the camera is very close so less is more. When you make Kevin from Grimsby look expressionless, it’s time to rein it in a bit.

Reactions: 10
I imagine it will be like Faye and Ashley in 2018, when there are two ringers the one with the most experience gets all the flak, and the other one flies under the radar a bit.
Agree that it's far too early to call the winner, but after weeks of 'Bobby is the favourite' chat, it's good to see some other names in the mix. An open competition, like the thread was saying yesterday we'd like this series to be 😊

Reactions: 13
Same! It's funny cos I couldn't stand her in Corrie and now I'm.finding her to be one of the most likeable contestants and a surprisingly good dancer!
I'd never heard of her before but she's fab!

Reactions: 6
I thought Layton looked fabulous last night, his outfit was 🔥

Looking forward to seeing his other costumes and make up.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
First off, what was wardrobe trying to do to nearly everyone? I think Jowita's dress was just about the only outfit I didn't want to set fire to! Poor Nancy especially. Surely it would cost less to hire some actual ballroom/latin costumes than make some poor assistant spend all night glueing sequins to an op shop haul? 😂

Always love a ballroom pro dance! 😁

Adam - Not too bad, a bit better than I expected. Glad poor Luba isn't likely to be first or second boot again. Not loving her new hair.

Angela S - Not as good as I was hoping for, but plenty of room to improve. I like her a lot, and her and Carlos seem fun together.

Eddie - Also not as good as I hoped, but I'm sure he'll do better next week with Latin. Just hope Karen can do something about those shoulders in the next few weeks.

Angela R - Perfectly matched with Kai. Think the 7s were a tad ridiculous, but it was certainly impressive! I'm so jealous, 50 years younger and I couldn't get my leg up there for a million bucks. 😭

Nikita - Surprised she got such nice comments, I thought it was awful, surprised she got more than 3/4s. She looked so awkward and terrified and it looked like Gorka was just dragging her around. Unless she surprises in the Latin I still can't see her lasting long.

Layton - Horrible song and I don't think it entirely suited a samba, but it was a fantastic routine anyway. Didn't completely blow my socks off, but samba's a hard dance for week 1. I was a bit afraid he'd overdo it and it'd be a mess, but Nikita seems to have reined him back just the right amount so far. A great place to start and looking forward to seeing what more they can do. Will be interesting to see what approach they take with choreography/styling etc for the ballroom. Also lovely to see Nikita looking so joyful dancing in a same-sex partnership as opposed to Gio looking embarrassed last year. I don't think personally think Layton came across too cocky but can see why some would, he'll have to be careful if he wants votes.

Zara - I thought she'd be decent but that was pretty yikes. I think nerves may have gotten to her a bit though, because I thought her cha cha walks looked a little better on Graz's insta story yesterday, so maybe some room for improvement?

Les - Well it could have been worse! Not much, but he gave it a good go. 😂 Shirley's score was a little generous. The same as Angela S? Shirley picked her pretty young woman to be mean to early this year. :rolleyes:

Ellie - The hair flip at the start! Was not expecting her to be anywhere near that good, really impressed. I don't even generally like jives all that much, but really enjoyed hers. She and Vito continue to be an adorable partnership. 🥰

Jody - Also a bit better than expected. I don't see him lasting a super long time, but Jowita's doing a great job with him, and they're damn lucky they got the best song and costumes of the night. Time will tell if Latin will be his undoing.

Bobby - Meh. It was ok, but 8s were ridiculous. The height thing was worse/more noticeable than I thought it would be and will put a cap on how much he can improve. Hoping for a 'shock' midseason boot ala Tyler.

Annabel - She was quite a bit better than I expected but the scores were a little nuts. Also, Jojo's a sweetheart. I'm not generally a big fan of his choreography, but I loved his partnership with Ellie last year and he's really grown on me.

Amanda - She must have some stealth dance experience, surely? Those spins were way too good for her to have never danced before. Gio escapes duffer duty once again. :cautious: I don't have any strong opinion of her either way, and I liked her dance, but at the moment there are others I like better so keeping my fingers crossed she doesn't take a finale spot over them.

Krishnan - Not too bad, reasonably entertaining and I'm glad he looks to be having a great time. I think Lauren's choreography was a little boring/repetitive though, but of course it was her first dance with a celeb, so hopefully it will improve.

Nigel - Also didn't completely blow my socks off, but a great dance and I'm so happy Katya has a ringer after so many hopeless cases (even if I'm rolling my eyes a bit at his 'I'm totally not a ringer, my musical theatre experience means nothing, my wife laughs at me when I dance!' shtick) and their partnership is growing on me too. The training footage with her cashew rewards and his dismayed 'I may starve!' had me in stitches! 😂

Overall a pretty high standard for week 1, shall feel sorry for whoever goes next week.

Noticed Vito's brother and Graz's wife as well as Nikita's sister in the audience, aww, lovely they came to support them. 🥰

Reactions: 8
Amanda - She must have some stealth dance experience, surely? Those spins were way too good for her to have never danced before. Gio escapes duffer duty once again. :cautious: I don't have any strong opinion of her either way, and I liked her dance, but at the moment there are others I like better so keeping my fingers crossed she doesn't take a finale spot over them.

Her childhood had its passions, though, and she initially took to dancing when her mother gave her the option of riding lessons or ballet classes. “She said I couldn’t do both because we couldn’t afford it and that she’d much rather I do ballet because it was cheaper.” She didn’t feel like a natural dancer but she loved it and fantasised about performing at the Royal Opera House. She auditioned for Cats at around 17: “I went up for it about eight or nine times and I didn’t get it – which I’m quite pleased about because it would have taken me in a completely different direction.”

One day she injured herself badly while doing the splits and a drama teacher urged her to focus on acting instead. She attended a local drama school whose principal, John Gardiner, was an inspiration. She acted in one of his plays and found an agent while still a student.

Reactions: 5
According to LadyLav, and who would know better than her, Amanda did a lot of dance training as a child/teen and wanted to be a professional dancer till injury stopped her. So she clearly has the training, and the natural grace/rhythm, albeit many years ago.

It is notable that the closest thing to a duffer Gio has ever had is Richie, who was capable of doing a perfectly good quickstep. Even his older ladies have had dance backgrounds. He must have a hotline to Sarah James (helped by the fact Shirley clearly fancies him rotten)

I'd be more surprised if an actor didn't have dance in their background. Like how many are really good singers, too, but aren't known or specifically trained to sing.

Reactions: 10

Her childhood had its passions, though, and she initially took to dancing when her mother gave her the option of riding lessons or ballet classes. “She said I couldn’t do both because we couldn’t afford it and that she’d much rather I do ballet because it was cheaper.” She didn’t feel like a natural dancer but she loved it and fantasised about performing at the Royal Opera House. She auditioned for Cats at around 17: “I went up for it about eight or nine times and I didn’t get it – which I’m quite pleased about because it would have taken me in a completely different direction.”

One day she injured herself badly while doing the splits and a drama teacher urged her to focus on acting instead. She attended a local drama school whose principal, John Gardiner, was an inspiration. She acted in one of his plays and found an agent while still a student.
She did actually say on The One Show when she was announced as a contestant that she had done ballet when she was younger.

Reactions: 2

According to LadyLav, and who would know better than her, Amanda did a lot of dance training as a child/teen and wanted to be a professional dancer till injury stopped her. So she clearly has the training, and the natural grace/rhythm, albeit many years ago.

It is notable that the closest thing to a duffer Gio has ever had is Richie, who was capable of doing a perfectly good quickstep. Even his older ladies have had dance backgrounds. He must have a hotline to Sarah James (helped by the fact Shirley clearly fancies him rotten)
Thanks for the info, I hadn't seen anyone mention that here or on DS!

Interesting choice to not mention it on the show (unless they do next week, I guess) I wonder if that'll come back to bite her in the bum later if some audience members assume she's not got previous dance experience and feel 'lied to' when they find out?

Reactions: 1
- - -
Yeah I agree...Ellie was no way as great as the judges were making her out to be ...tbh I found her nearly as irritating as Adam when she was talking to Claudia 🤣🤣

Reactions: 1
Enjoyed the opening show, good mix of good,bad and the ugly. Although, I know ITT is going to be the usual formulaic, “how was Saturday, what are you dancing this week,how is training” especially this year without Rylan to mix it up. I do think it starts to give us glimpses of the partnerships and who is having fun and who not 😂

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.