Strictly Come Dancing 2023 #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I live in hope that as the bar for ringerdom inches ever lower at some point Mark Cavendish, junior competitor in ballroom and Latin, will be able to sneak under.
He would be an excellent contestant, i've also heard Vicky McClure is another potential ringer id love to have her on.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Thanks for the info, I hadn't seen anyone mention that here or on DS!

Interesting choice to not mention it on the show (unless they do next week, I guess) I wonder if that'll come back to bite her in the bum later if some audience members assume she's not got previous dance experience and feel 'lied to' when they find out?
I think absolutely any dance they've done in the past, no matter how innocuous, should get mentioned to stamp out all the negative reactions when the tabloids inevitably dig something up.

They've mentioned Layton's experience twice now, last night and on the launch show, but just something dropped into conversation on ITT would do.

Remember when the papers 'uncovered' Hamza's secret dance past last year when he did some Scottish dancing at a university show. It was then used as a stick to beat him with by those incensed he won.

Something like that being mentioned as a little funny anecdote on ITT puts to rest any daft 'digging' and OTT reactions.

Reactions: 9
Nobody is mentioning Angela Rippon’s dance experience because she is in her late 70s - be kind and all that, I assume. 🙄
Different goal posts for different contestants.

Reactions: 11
Just coming on now- my kids wanted to watch last night and I give them tit for being on phones/devices all the time so had to lead by example 😭 (I do find the live tattle-along a bit overwhelming at this stage tho haha).

Favourites: Layton, Ellie, Krishnan and Nigel.

Amanda was good so it looks like I’ll be stuck hate-watching her and the Fanny Rat for a good few weeks.

Loved Lauren’s routine for K, really fun and enjoyable. Great first dance. Lovely to see my precious prince Nikita being able to go full pelt even if Layton will sadly be this season’s designated dance off king.

Zara a sparkly ironing board as I predicted..

Bonus for the opening dance being filmed not a million miles away from where I live!

Thanks for the info, I hadn't seen anyone mention that here or on DS!

Interesting choice to not mention it on the show (unless they do next week, I guess) I wonder if that'll come back to bite her in the bum later if some audience members assume she's not got previous dance experience and feel 'lied to' when they find out?
I don't think it would be held against Amanda as (a) she's over 50, so viewers would assume the background is less relevant, and (b) there's a perceived uber-ringer already to take the heat (Layton). Even Debbie McGee, former professional dancer, although she was never going to win, was fairly well liked and voted through, partly due to her age cancelling out experience, and partly due to a great partnership.

I guess loads of the actors have dance experience, like Nigel, and Molly last year, picked up at stage school. I'd say Ellie is probably the least trained of the actors as she started Corrie aged 10, so I imagine she didn't have much time for extra-curriculars after that, so maybe childhood tap/ballet.

Reactions: 5
Catch up. I loveddd Krishnan. Omg. 😂

I thought Nikita did a really good job with Layton, he can obviously dance but Nikita reined him in far more than I expected! I will also add my joy at seeing Nikita so openly & happily dancing with a man. Gio was a joke last year and while I loved John & Johannes, there was always something pulling them back. I think they got too involved with each other, all this he’s the best person I’ve met, while your partner of 10 years watches on 🥴 I think it held their dancing back. I think N&L are really well suited, it’s been nice to see Nikita’s playful, cheeky side he’s taken on with L.

Nigel was fantastic & I bloody love Katya. Finalists for sure I think. I must be too young to really find him that attractive though 😂 I had a look at him back in his Eastenders days & he was very handsome but now he looks like he’s had some dodgy work done!

Annabel Croft surprised me. I had her pegged as Judy Murray #2 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 15

I thought Nikita did a really good job with Layton, he can obviously dance but Nikita reined him in far more than I expected! I will also add my joy at seeing Nikita so openly & happily dancing with a man. Gio was a joke last year and while I loved John & Johannes, there was always something pulling them back. I think they got too involved with each other, all this he’s the best person I’ve met, while your partner of 10 years watches on 🥴 I think it held their dancing back. I think N&L are really well suited, it’s been nice to see Nikita’s playful, cheeky side he’s taken on with L.

Nigel was fantastic & I bloody love Katya. Finalists for sure I think. I must be too young to really find him that attractive though 😂 I had a look at him back in his Eastenders days & he was very handsome but now he looks like he’s had some dodgy work done!

I completely agree about Layton & Nikita. I do think it was maybe slightly overdanced, but nowhere near as much as I thought. Nikita has done a great job so far and i’m sure it will continue as the weeks go on. Layton said in his recent instagram post that they will be switching it up next week, so maybe a slower ballroom?

Reactions: 4
I don't think Ellie is a ringer, I can't find anything on her. She seems a bit like a Chelsee/Dani/Georgia type to me, possibly dabbled a bit in dancing in her childhood but no real training and instead more a natural dancer. The partnership with Vito reminds me of Chelsee & Pasha, that big brother-little sister vibe, and I think they'll have a fairly similar run.

I don't think it would be held against Amanda as (a) she's over 50, so viewers would assume the background is less relevant, and (b) there's a perceived uber-ringer already to take the heat (Layton). Even Debbie McGee, former professional dancer, although she was never going to win, was fairly well liked and voted through, partly due to her age cancelling out experience, and partly due to a great partnership.

I guess loads of the actors have dance experience, like Nigel, and Molly last year, picked up at stage school. I'd say Ellie is probably the least trained of the actors as she started Corrie aged 10, so I imagine she didn't have much time for extra-curriculars after that, so maybe childhood tap/ballet.
You're probably right that being over 50 goes a long way towards cancelling out ringer status. Amanda's a little older than I thought she was, I think I thought she was in her early to mid 40s.

Reactions: 3
Nobody is mentioning Angela Rippon’s dance experience because she is in her late 70s - be kind and all that, I assume. 🙄
Different goal posts for different contestants.
I have seen it mentioned a few times, but as stated above, age does tend to cancel this out. Especially if pushing 80! Angela is not a threat to the potential finalists. I'd be surprised if she lasted beyond Halloween, as her novelty (for lack of a better word) will have worn off quite quickly, I imagine.

Reactions: 4

Completely agree re Nikita and Layton. I am a huge fan of Nikita anyway. I think he is so lovely.
I loved the way he and Ellie S got on with each other last year and he choreographed stuff beautifully to suit her.

Speaking of Ellie S, she and Richie were on Celebrity Gogglebox this year and were good fun, together.

Reactions: 6
Completely agree re Nikita and Layton. I am a huge fan of Nikita anyway. I think he is so lovely.
I loved the way he and Ellie S got on with each other last year and he choreographed stuff beautifully to suit her.

Speaking of Ellie S, she and Richie were on Celebrity Gogglebox this year and were good fun, together.
I think Nikita and Layton just have a partnership, I don’t think the same sex bit genuinely matters a jot. Which, hurrah. At last.

Reactions: 12
It’s to keep the Family vibe going. Because as we know all families love each other and none have feuds that been going on for half a century over a random comment about a hat.
I think Vito is treating Ellie like he does his sisters and female cousins, cuddly and matey. He’s just one of life’s charming tactical Italian boys, and Ellie obviously gets on with him.

RE Layton, I can't help but noticing that the contestants whom facebook brendas deem 'arrogant' tend to be POC and/or female, and almost always on the younger side. Can anyone think of a single example of a white man who's faced a lot of online criticism for being too good, too full of himself etc? I've only been watching since 2016 so there might be one I'm unaware of?

the negative reactions always seem to me a sort of unconscious feeling that the person in question needs to be put back in their place, so to speak. In the case of Layton people are definitely uncomfortable with the idea of a gay black man who is completely comfortable and confident being himself. He reminds me of Rhys in 2021 and Karim in 2019, both young men of colour who were called 'cocky' and 'too much' simply for being talented and enthusiastic.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Yeah, Fleur and Alexandra are the obvious female counterparts. Maybe Danny Mac was seen as too good? but he didn't really get hatred at all, just people preferring more 'authentic' Ore (grrr).

James Jordan tweeted during yesterdays show at least 4 had trained dance experience from what he could tell, besides Layton, who would the other 3 likely be? Angela R, Amanda and?

Reactions: 1
RE Layton, I can't help but noticing that the contestants whom facebook brendas deem 'arrogant' tend to be POC and/or female, and almost always on the younger side. Can anyone think of a single example of a white man who's faced a lot of online criticism for being too good, too full of himself etc? I've only been watching since 2016 so there might be one I'm unaware of?

the negative reactions always seem to me a sort of unconscious feeling that the person in question needs to be put back in their place, so to speak. In the case of Layton people are definitely uncomfortable with the idea of a gay black man who is completely comfortable and confident being himself. He reminds me of Rhys in 2021 and Karim in 2019, both young men of colour who were called 'cocky' and 'too much' simply for being talented and enthusiastic.
Absolutely, and the same with AJ, Fleur and Alexandra. It’s ridiculous. The Brendas really need to realise the racist bias they are showing. For the record I’m white and not that young but absolutely LOVE all of these celebs. The louder and more enthusiastic the better in my opinion.
---
James Jordan tweeted during yesterdays show at least 4 had trained dance experience from what he could tell, besides Layton, who would the other 3 likely be? Angela R, Amanda and?
Nigel

Reactions: 7
Nigel, Angela R., Angela S. (Irish dancing), plus Amanda, that we know of. I was suspicious that Adam, being married to a dance teacher (Will Mellor ahoy!) would be a secret ringer with off-the-books training, but he quickly proved me wrong yesterday.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I think Vito is treating Ellie like he does his sisters and female cousins, cuddly and matey. He’s just one of life’s charming tactical Italian boys, and Ellie obviously gets on with him.
I think with Vito you can tell that he is sued to interacting (wrong word, but it’ll do) with young women in a friendly, unselfconscious way. It’s just natural and Ellie responds to that. With say, Diane and Bobby and all the Aunt stuff it just seems more forced and not natural at all. Dinosaur sandwiches … come on.

Absolutely, and the same with AJ, Fleur and Alexandra. It’s ridiculous. The Brendas really need to realise the racist bias they are showing. For the record I’m white and not that young but absolutely LOVE all of these celebs. The louder and more enthusiastic the better in my opinion.
---

Nigel
I don’t recall AJ getting much hate at all? I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much she was loved and appreciated by fans of the show, when she was announced I was worried she might get similar treatment to Alexandra. She got complaints about her loud booming voice/accent at times but apart from that I don’t remember much else negativity. Alexandra & Fleur on the other hand were treated absolutely disgusting, particularly Alexandra who had just lost her mum as the show was starting. Bobby will dedicate a dance to his mum who he barely remembers and everyone will love it and say how moving it was, yet when Alexandra dared to mention her recently deceased mum she was always shot down and told to get on with it.

Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.