Strictly Come Dancing 2023 #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve wondered all along if perhaps she approached the producers and asked to be given a new partner and they refused, gave her the bye to buy time and try and persuade her to stick it out and she had to choose between quitting or sticking with Gio. If she did go to them for help and was able to present a strong case (which it sounds like she did have if she wants the footage to prove it) then that’s a serious question for the producers to answer to
I mean given there are supposed to be psychologists and counsellors on tap, if someone was so stressed and distressed they went to the producers for help and was ignored that would be pretty damning.

Reactions: 11
I do wonder how open and approachable the producers are once everyone is signed up and paired of. I mean there are plenty of couples who haven’t got on over the years and yet nobody has ever got a new partner?! Of course they can’t just give you someone else for no reason, but if you can justify it would they even be open to it? There are backup pros just waiting there on the bench to be used after all.

Reactions: 4
So what happened with Rose? I'm guessing as she was clearly a golden ticket and always had an interpreter present, he knew to play nice.
That's a good point about Rose I forgot the interpreter was with them a lot and as a BBC employee would have had lunch breaks making a healthier environment around Rose.

Reactions: 12
How on earth would they not be taking lunch breaks? The celeb should surely be demanding that of the pro and refuse to compromise on it.

Then again, wasn't Rhys doing 12 hour days without coffee breaks in his year?

• Wow
I do wonder how open and approachable the producers are once everyone is signed up and paired of. I mean there are plenty of couples who haven’t got on over the years and yet nobody has ever got a new partner?! Of course they can’t just give you someone else for no reason, but if you can justify it would they even be open to it? There are backup pros just waiting there on the bench to be used after all.
Yes like Danny JJ and Amy they kept them together too. What's the point in the bench if it isn't used?
---
How on earth would they not be taking lunch breaks? The celeb should surely be demanding that of the pro and refuse to compromise on it.

Then again, wasn't Rhys doing 12 hour days without coffee breaks in his year?
I imagine it's not an explicit No, more like I Won't be taking a break...
I expect from next year the Pros that are hard task masters will be a lot more receptive to their celebs needs.

Reactions: 6
I previously criticised Amanda for not acknowledging Gio, even if it was a brief nod to thank him for the work he put in. If the article in The Scum is to be believed then I retract what I said, as I guess any inquiry/ legal proceedings would be affected by any mentioning of him in her leaving post on SM.

Reactions: 7
Yes like Danny JJ and Amy they kept them together too. What's the point in the bench if it isn't used?
---

I imagine it's not an explicit No, more like I Won't be taking a break...
I expect from next year the Pros that are hard task masters will be a lot more receptive to their celebs needs.
Given that they were beyond lucky ‘only’ to have had 2 withdrawals this year when they could have had 4 (Jody was touch and go and Adam was the dancing dead by the time he was Ugo rhumba’d out the door) they really need to look at the training regime and the dance order. Lifts too early leading to rib injuries that seem to stay for weeks isn’t really the way forward.

(it was like Craig getting all moist eyed about Ellie nearly being dropped on her head and saying how series one Natasha couldn’t have done that … no, because the series one celebs only trained about 3 hours a day, didn’t have to contend with crazy lifts and could have a bit of a breather learning a nice sedate waltz. I imagine series one Natasha was very pleased to be series one Natasha).

Last edited:
Reactions: 25
DWTS used to operate like this with allowing long training hours until they had a season where 2 celebs got injured and withdrew before the first show, and afterwards, they imposed training limits.

I'd like to think Strictly would do similar, but they didn't learn a thing from 2021 which was the exact same. Ugo & Judi could have easily pulled out in addition to Robert & AJ. Perhaps if this is finally the situation where Sarah James falls on her sword, then a new producer might see sense.

Given that they were beyond lucky ‘only’ to have had 2 withdrawals this year when they could have had 4 (Jody was touch and go and Adam was the dancing dead by the time he was Ugo rhumba’d out the door) they really need to look at the training regime and the dance order. Lifts too early leading to rib injuries that seem to stay for weeks isn’t really the way forward.
Alongside the winner almost getting her head smashed off the floor in the final, and a newsreader getting the ol' twisted rib for the sake of the Christmas show I think all involved need to have a good talk with themselves and remember it's a light entertainment show not the Olympics!

Reactions: 20
Ranvir said this at the time (bearing in mind she praised him generally and they got on/fancied each other):

Ranvir detailed how she initially struggled working with Giovanni: “He doesn’t accept anything less than what you can do.

“He is very challenging in the training room. He has tattoos that say ‘born to win.’

“You are duty bound to work hard. I found it very challenging.”

She went on to reveal: “He had to change the way he was training me.

“I was finding it so exposing, in a sense with dancing it is very much look at me, don’t listen to me, look at me.”

Ranvir credited Giovanni with pushing her so far in the competition explaining: “If I was with someone else, they might have gone at my pace.”

Reactions: 5
Uh oh - the Amanda hater on DS has popped up...I'm sure Mr. Gio the LGBT ally was so disturbed:
I mean, I don't agree with Amanda's viewpoint either, but that does not mean she's wrong about her experience with Giovanni! She did quit the show over whatever occurred, and that's usually not a decision one would make lightly

• Heart
It was very noticeable to me that Gio was missing from most of the group dances.
The vast majority are filmed in advance, I think usually up to Remembrance Sunday, during the rehearsal and filming time Gio injured himself. Conveniently just as he had to go film with Anton for their travel show.
I don't really recall him being prominent in the later dances other than the weird detective one with Kai and Nadiya.

The vast majority are filmed in advance, I think usually up to Remembrance Sunday, during the rehearsal and filming time Gio injured himself. Conveniently just as he had to go film with Anton for their travel show.
I don't really recall him being prominent in the later dances other than the weird detective one with Kai and Nadiya.
There was that Chorus Line one where he was the teacher barking orders - think it was filmed while he was injured. Obviously a Method performance! I think he'd already arranged to miss some of them for filming in Spain, and then got injured too so missed more. Clearly not committed at all.

What isn't clear to me is whether there are cameras there more than just when they're filming VTs? Like I guess the pros have access to the rehearsal footage so they can go over it so are there cameras filming most of the time?

Last edited:
There was that Chorus Line one where he was the teacher barking orders - think it was filmed while he was injured. Obviously a Method performance! I think he'd already arranged to miss some of them for filming in Spain, and then got injured too so missed more. Clearly not committed at all.

What isn't clear to me is whether there are cameras there more than just when they're filming VTs? Like I guess the pros have access to the rehearsal footage so they can over it so are there cameras filming most of the time?
I was under the impression the cameras aren't on all the time but on VT days they will allow them to run for a couple of hours. But overall no that's why the pros will often film on their phones and often when they celeb/Pro do sm you can see there is no camera equipment.

If there was a big showdown then it may have happened on the Friday, we saw her leave so she was there for the early part of the day maybe something was caught on camera at the studio?

Reactions: 3
Why didn't they ask Amanda back for the final show??? It's all very strange

Back in the day Fern Britton was less than complimentary about Artem. Same with Linda Bellingham and Darren (although to be fair, that was her strange husband after she died)

I would have thought that these days the keeping the celebrity happy would rank way above keeping the pro happy. And given all the bad publicity the BBC has had, the second Amanda says "mental health" they should have been moving heaven and earth to keep her happy.

If Gio returns to strictly - and its looking like a big IF - he needs to speak to Anton about lasting on the show.

I know he's a divisive figure, but it seems he's still friendly with previous partners - Judy Murray always comes to see him at his scottish shows and rumour has it Anne Widdecombe and Ruth Langsford requested him as their partner

I just don’t know what to make of it all.
I’m no Gio fan but I think TPTB would have brought back Gios’s ankle injury and brought another pro in if it was solely his behaviour. If she was that distressed I can’t imagine her being forced to dance with him.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.