Strictly Come Dancing 2023 #23

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The teasing about Nikita’s head makes me laugh. If you go onto Grazia UK’s TikTok - there are 3 short interviews with them & one is about Nikita’s head - they went to a concert together & Layton couldn’t see anything because of Nikita’s massive head in front of him 😂 those interviews are cute, they act like they’ve been best mates for years. Which is why I think they work so well. The act like long time best mates with inside jokes & knowing how far they can push & pull each other. They also know how to turn on their natural chemistry & make everyone go, oof 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Before this series I had no opinion on Luba, and I thought Adam would be irritating. Turns out they are both lovely. Luba seems to be close to the whole family and the birthday tribute from Adam’s wife is very touching.
I hope Luba stays on the main show next year.

Reactions: 22
I think I’m guilty of tarring Adam with the same brush as his twattish brothers tbh.

I still think he’s a bit loud but he seems a decent chap.

Reactions: 26
The thing is, if Angela R had been given a samba and a jive, the same people complaining she's been given an easy ride would be complaining about pushing an elderly woman too hard. Imagine the tit the show would get in if she got injured - and at her age, an injury is a massive deal.
It's a dance competition.
Whilst attracting the big names is important to get the viewers on board it shouldn't be detrimental to the other 'celebs' competing.
They should all face their fair share of the dance styles. Cherry picking dances to suit their ability isn't fair game for other dancers, their professional partner or the viewers.

Some previous celebs with disabilities wouldn't want or expect a pass so Rippons age shouldn't offer her that either.
If age is a reason not to request she dances those styles then the producers really should consider their selection more carefully.

Obviously we're in danger of a cringe factor dance but fairs fair 🤣

For the record I couldn't do half of what Rippon does so I'm not one to talk but then I'm not in the show so....🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 10
I’m a bit gutted we won’t be seeing Jake Leigh in some of the performances this weekend
He’s pretty much the only reason I look forward to the backing dancers at Blackpool each year. Anne Marie’s tour wraps up before musicals week so I’ll keep my fingers crossed he’s back for that. He was brilliant in Helen’s cabaret number last year.

Reactions: 5
He’s pretty much the only reason I look forward to the backing dancers at Blackpool each year. Anne Marie’s tour wraps up before musicals week so I’ll keep my fingers crossed he’s back for that. He was brilliant in Helen’s cabaret number last year.
Oh does it? Surely we’ll see him then. I love him 😂

Reactions: 1
It’s one of the reason I dislike Blackpool week to be honest I find the backing dancers extremely distracting. I can’t be the only one surely 🤣

Reactions: 5
It’s one of the reason I dislike Blackpool week to be honest I find the backing dancers extremely distracting. I can’t be the only one surely 🤣
I think it depends on the routine. Fleur's CC last year benefitted from them (and I see Vito has got Arduino and Michelle again this year) and eg for Jay's salsa the dancers helped fill up the floor. But yeah there is gonna be a lot of background faff.

Reactions: 4
Oh does it? Surely we’ll see him then. I love him 😂
It looks like there’s one London show on the Wednesday evening of musicals week and that’s it. Definitely plenty of time for him to rehearse and be part of it.

I love him too. He was one of the dancers when I saw the Spice Girls a few years ago and he was magnetic to watch.

I definitely agree they can distract from a dance quite often. Sometimes though a pro understands how to use them to enhance the dance without overpowering the celebrity. I imagine the likes of Layton and Nigel, who are used to being in an ensemble, might find it easier to let the backing dancers not distract from their performance.

And sometimes a backing dancer just shines like Johannes in Charles Venn’s samba.

Reactions: 7
One of the (many) things I would struggle with if I did Striclty would be the fact that all week you're rehearsing with just the two of you dancing around and then suddenly on the night and the dress rehearsal you have to contend with the camera men running around you. I would find that much more distracting than having extra dancers I would feel like I was on the bumper cars!

Reactions: 15
It's a dance competition.

It has never been a dance competition in any clearly defined sense. It’s a light entertainment show based around the premise of dancing. Has been right from its initial conception, as in the case of Christopher Parker running round with a Batman cape like a sugar-hyped toddler in series 1.
The general playing field is far too uneven in terms of age, fitness, and experience for it ever to be a legitimate dance competition. In what parallel universe was Russell Grant ever going to be a viable dance competitor to Harry Judd and Chelsee Healey? Or Les Dennis vs Layton? 🤷‍♀️

The BBC couldn’t give a toss if Celebrity X is a better dancer than Celebrity Y. They just want as many people as possible to watch, so the entertainment factor (‘Vote for your favourite’) is paramount.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21
It has never been a dance competition in any clearly defined sense. It’s a light entertainment show based around the premise of dancing. Has been right from its initial conception, as in the case of Christopher Parker running round with a Batman cape like a sugar-hyped toddler in series 1.
The general playing field is far too uneven in terms of age, fitness, and experience for it ever to be a legitimate dance competition. In what parallel universe was Russell Grant ever going to be a viable dance competitor to Harry Judd and Chelsee Healey? Or Les Dennis vs Layton? 🤷‍♀️
100% agree with you.

This isn't eurodance... It's meant to be fun and the competitors are meant to be varied in age, ability, background, etc! I miss the days of the absolute clangers knocking half decent dancers out of the competition to be honest. A lot of viewers take it far too seriously with all this "it's a dance competition" stuff

It's a glitzy celebrity challenge show for people to watch on cold Saturday nights with a glass of wine and a chinese.

Reactions: 18

The BBC couldn’t give a toss if Celebrity X is a better dancer than Celebrity Y. They just want as many people as possible to watch, so the entertainment factor (‘Vote for your favourite’) is paramount.
Someone in real life recently said to me that the judging is unfair because how can you possibly compare the different types of celebs, especially where "being PC has gone mad", and used an ableist slur against Ellie Simmonds when explaining how the judges didn't pick her up on bad posture when they'd criticise others for the same 🙃 I said having inclusivity is good, and this person wasn't so sure because it makes a farce of the competition element 😳

• Wow
Reactions: 11

There’s an article somewhere, where the lady who came up with the original idea says just that … will go for a forage …

edit:

there we go. From the horses mouth

“My vision was for an entertainment show first and foremost, with celebrities out of their comfort zone.”

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
There’s an article somewhere, where the lady who came up with the original idea says just that … will go for a forage …
I know the one you mean - I had a quick look but couldn’t find it, though I did find this which kind of makes the sampoint

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Someone in real life recently said to me that the judging is unfair because how can you possibly compare the different types of celebs, especially where "being PC has gone mad", and used an ableist slur against Ellie Simmonds when explaining how the judges didn't pick her up on bad posture when they'd criticise others for the same 🙃 I said having inclusivity is good, and this person wasn't so sure because it makes a farce of the competition element 😳
Some people really are just pricks. We should be celebrating people like Ellie Simmonds and strictly for being inclusive.

Reactions: 21
I mean, aside from the immense, polar differences in the casting, the randomness of the comedy costumes, inappropriate music, stupid CGI, ridiculous themes, ‘faffing about’, and variation in whether certain dance rules count or don’t count at any given point kind of pisses all over the idea that ‘this is a dance competition’ 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I know the one you mean - I had a quick look but couldn’t find it, though I did find this which kind of makes the sampoint

I founded it 😀 … mainly because I remember the jist of the headline.

Reactions: 3
I'm bitter and twisted that Krishnan was sent on his way in favour of Angela Ripon.

I don't tend to get too bothered but I was really upset at the results. Seemed really unfair, as her performance was clearly inferior with mistakes.😭

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.