Strictly Come Dancing 2023 #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To be fair, they’ve only been given one slow dance so far. I think they’ve run out of the upbeat stuff now right? So we’ll have a run of slower dances from them I think.

But I feel completely differently, I love their dances. I thought their jive was fab! And their samba was one of my fav ever.

Reactions: 15
Good points about it being Nikita who's choreographing it - I was focusing on Layton because he's the one doing it on screen and based on his attitude in earlier weeks I was assuming he was probably asking to include specific moves that he's more familiar with, but you're all absolutely right that Nikita needs to calm things down and be firm as a teacher, and more mindful of the dance style as a choreographer.
I feel like this is quite an obvious thing that the judges should have pulled Nikita himself up on in the critiques!! It's stopping Layton being able to connect with the audience and that is very important to be able to do in strictly. I have no doubt that Layton heavily influences the choreography but Nikita as the professional needs to be the one to say what goes and what doesn't, what adds to the dance and what's just showing off!

Reactions: 9
Re Nikitas knee, there were some reports in the paper that Nadiya had helped out in training, I wonder if his knee has been troublesome all week. Also Nikita said only we know what happened in the training room this week. I could be way off the mark but maybe training didn’t go to plan.

Reactions: 17
I feel like this is quite an obvious thing that the judges should have pulled Nikita himself up on in the critiques!! It's stopping Layton being able to connect with the audience and that is very important to be able to do in strictly. I have no doubt that Layton heavily influences the choreography but Nikita as the professional needs to be the one to say what goes and what doesn't, what adds to the dance and what's just showing off!
I dont think that’s true at all. I can’t see how Layton is influencing the choreography Nikita does, other than Nikita knows he can make it complex & full on? They’ve said several times on ITT about how Nikita is enjoying being able to put all his wild ideas down on paper for Layton. And how Layton rocks up to rehearsals on Monday wondering what Nikita’s got for him this week. The idea he’s going into the training room & demanding Nikita change the dance to what he wants paints Layton in a horrible light.. and given how much Nikita seems to like him, I highly doubt is happening. I do think this week, they adapted the dance to give Nikita an easier time due to his poor knee. But again, not because Layton demanded to be given a solo section and all the attention.. 😐

Reactions: 15
I dont think that’s true at all. I can’t see how Layton is influencing the choreography Nikita does, other than Nikita knows he can make it complex & full on? They’ve said several times on ITT about how Nikita is enjoying being able to put all his wild ideas down on paper for Layton. And how Layton rocks up to rehearsals on Monday wondering what Nikita’s got for him this week. The idea he’s going into the training room & demanding Nikita change the dance to what he wants paints Layton in a horrible light.. and given how much Nikita seems to like him, I highly doubt is happening. I do think this week, they adapted the dance to give Nikita an easier time due to his poor knee. But again, not because Layton demanded to be given a solo section and all the attention.. 😐
I didn't say anything at all about Layton demanding anything? Of course Layton will have input into what he wants to do in the dances, I don't think that's a crazy observation to make.
I don't understand the need to shut down people who are making legitimate comments about why Layton isn't wowing and connecting with the audience like he should when he is clearly talented.

Reactions: 6
I rewatched some of last night's dances on the treadmill this morning - I do think Nikita was slightly hanging back and maybe the Karim spin was put in to give him a break. The jive is tough on a bad knee!

Angela S's samba was better than I thought. But rewatching Ellie's AS I was struck by how classic theming, music, costumes just makes everything so much easier - that routine would have gone down well even if it wasn't so well danced (my only gripe being that it would have been perfectly suited for Blackpool..). Those big band numbers are always good, and if Vito and Ellie get to the final I would love to see a showdance like that (viz Ore v Danny Mac, sob!) - rewatched Faye and FR's and it is so good because all the elements work, though I did clock a classic series of 'well done on yer spins!' by FR at the end!

Meanwhile rewatching Layton's tango from last week the music is so wrong for it, and that's before the singer began horribly butchering it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
To be fair, they’ve only been given one slow dance so far. I think they’ve run out of the upbeat stuff now right? So we’ll have a run of slower dances from them I think.
This is the list of who’s got what left courtesy of DS:
Adam & Luba - Foxtrot, Quickstep, Viennese Waltz / Charleston, Paso Doble, Salsa, Samba / Argentine Tango
Angela R & Kai - American Smooth, Tango, Viennese Waltz, / Jive, Paso Doble, Salsa, Samba / Couple's Choice
Angela S & Carlos - Foxtrot, Quickstep, Waltz / Cha-Cha-Cha, Rumba, Salsa, / Argentine Tango, Couple's Choice
Annabel & Johannes - American Smooth, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz / Paso Doble, Rumba, Salsa, Samba / Argentine Tango,
Bobby & Dianne - American Smooth, Quickstep, Waltz / Jive, Paso Doble, Rumba, Salsa / Couple's Choice
Ellie & Vito - Quickstep, Tango, Waltz / Cha-Cha-Cha, Charleston, Rumba / Argentine Tango, Couple's Choice
Krishnan & Lauren - American Smooth, Tango, Waltz / Jive, Rumba, Salsa, Samba / Argentine Tango
Layton & Nikita - American Smooth, Foxtrot, Waltz / Charleston, Paso Doble, Rumba / Argentine Tango, Couple's Choice
Nigel & Katya - American Smooth, Quickstep, Waltz / Charleston, Rumba, Samba / Argentine Tango, Couple's Choice
Layton has none of the faster Latin dances left but I can see a lot of those dances he’s still got to go really suiting him if Nikita/outside choreographers pitch the choreography right. I’d like to see him doing a classic ballroom next week.

Interestingly, there are three contestants with the Charleston, AT and CC still to go - three dances with the potential for big scores and a big impact: Ellie, Nigel and Layton, three of the four likely contenders for the final.

Reactions: 19
having him do a rumba is literally my remaining wish for 2023.
A Nigel & Katya AT and rumba will both be absolutely smoking.

I do really want to see his Charleston too - I think his previous West End experience will really shine there.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
A Nigel & Katya AT and rumba will both be absolutely smoking.

I do really want to see his Charleston too - I think his previous West End experience will really shine there.
same on all counts. they, potentially, have some great dances coming up which (on paper) really suit him. i’m hoping the confidence boost he got last night is going to help him moving forward.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I believe Nigel can tap* so I wouldn't mind seeing him do a little tap section somewhere.

*Autocorrect made turned this into rap - please, Nigel, for the love of sequins, NEVER rap.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
I don't think Nikita has any problem shooting down suggestions from Layton that aren't traditional enough - it's been mentioned a few times in interviews and seen in rehearsal footage. This week can't really be judged because it's obvious the choreography was impacted by Nikita's injury. And they've had some really weird song choices that don't remotely lend themselves to a traditional dance. I think he's kept the balance pretty right other than week 1 and maybe this week a bit, but again, with an injury plus an extremely ill-fitting song it was an uphill struggle to produce anything really great.

I really hope they get a dance/song/theming that will show some more range next week.

Reactions: 10
Have to say, I really was expecting the Ripper to be much better at the waltz. Technically, she has delivered some good ballroom previously but the waltz was kind of ropey. Maybe she's knackered.

Reactions: 17
I think that Nikita is so excited about Laytons ability that he wants to keep pushing things. I do agree that this weeks spinning was probably more about Nikitas knee than showcasing Laytons already existing skills.

I think the other thing that is having a big impact on how Nikita approaches the choreography is that they feel a responsibility to represent Layton as who he authentically is and the audience who may be watching who can identify with him. I dread to imagine the kind of bigotry that comes his way as a flamboyant, gay, black man.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Just watching now as too hungover yesterday and knew I wouldn't feel the joy. Layton and Nikita are life! 😍I need to see them dancing in real life. Might have to go to the strictly tour this year.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I was just reading the 'this is not an appreciation thread' on DS. Some really witty contributors. 😁

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.