Strictly Come Dancing 2022 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oti has always been my fav girl pro :( she's such a beautiful and super talented lady. She'll be missed. Big boots to fill!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’m so gutted that Oti is leaving, my favourite female pro on the show. An incredible, beautiful dancer and a brilliant choreographer. Her talent is a big loss for the show and it won’t be the same without her in a way but I cannot blame her for leaving and spreading her wings - she at least has gotten herself in a secure enough position to get other TV gigs unlike AJ when he left. She’ll do well.

An appropriate time as ever to say her and Danny Mac were robbed also 🤪

Reactions: 12
Not to diminish her talent as she is a talented dancer (as are all the pros) but she is without a doubt the luckiest pro of all:

-Got Danny Mac; arguably the best male dancer the show has ever had
-When Jamie hurt his leg then got Kelvin and once he did his shimmy in week one he was the nailed on winner
-The year after then getting Bill, the most liked, well known celeb out of a diminished celeb list that year

Obviously it hasn't been all plain sailing; I barely remember her dances with Ugo and her dances with Graham, Johnny, and Anthony weren't anything spectacular but I find it hard for the most ardent Oti fan to not see she has had great luck on the show with the points I made above.
She’s definitely had some great luck with her three main celebs but nowhere near the level of Giovanni and Kevin, who I’m certain must’ve been pulling some strings bts… the only ‘duffer’ between the two of them was Annika Rice, whereas Oti has had a few shockers. I do have to question whether Bill would have come close to winning were it not for the shock factor that he was a semi decent dancer, plus the excitement that Oti could pull another win.

Reactions: 7
She’s definitely had some great luck with her three main celebs but nowhere near the level of Giovanni and Kevin, who I’m certain must’ve been pulling some strings bts… the only ‘duffer’ between the two of them was Annika Rice, whereas Oti has had a few shockers. I do have to question whether Bill would have come close to winning were it not for the shock factor that he was a semi decent dancer, plus the excitement that Oti could pull another win.
Oh yeah Giovanni and Kevin have had great luck as well no doubt; she was lucky that she has Kelvin then Bill back to back who were both nailed on the winners from the get go.

Reactions: 1
It’s definitely not a surprise that Oti is going but Strictly won’t be the same without her. I know she isn’t everyone’s favourite but to me, she is the best female choreographer on the show and she’s produced some of the very best routines and partnerships.

I could post so many of her dances but this one is an underrated favourite of mine. It’s the one that made me fall in love with her partnership with Danny:
Gorgeous! (apart from the glittery gym bag!). God Danny was so brilliant and truly sexy, unlike (IMO) Kelvin with his bulging muscles and face like a bulldog chewing a wasp. Why he didn't quite connect with audiences will forever be a mystery.

Reactions: 5
I don't really buy that pros are lucky and this opinion kind of seems like sour grapes from people with a favourite pro who hasn't won.

I'd say the pros that win have worked hard on choreography and are better teachers so they're able to get the best out of their partners. On top of that, Oti and Giovanni are very likeable and interesting people. I don't think it's luck -it's talent and an ability to get the best out of your partner while producing crowd pleasing routines.

Reactions: 16
I wonder if Bill would have won if it hadn't been for (a) lockdown and the oddness of the show so a feelgood winner was really popular and (b) the others were hindered by Maisie being a good young girl (never going to win) and HRVY and Janette being too manic probably for a lot of people. There wasn't really a serious contender against them (we draw a veil over Jamie Biscuits).

Although she has had some great partners I like that she works hard with them all, and you could see that her and Ugo were having a blast this year even though he clearly wasn't going to go very far.

Reactions: 10
I wonder if Bill would have won if it hadn't been for (a) lockdown and the oddness of the show so a feelgood winner was really popular and (b) the others were hindered by Maisie being a good young girl (never going to win) and HRVY and Janette being too manic probably for a lot of people. There wasn't really a serious contender against them (we draw a veil over Jamie Biscuits).

Although she has had some great partners I like that she works hard with them all, and you could see that her and Ugo were having a blast this year even though he clearly wasn't going to go very far.
Bill would never have done the show if it hadn’t been for lockdown/covid. He really only agreed to it because his tour got cancelled/postponed so had the free time.
But I think he would’ve done well in most other series. He’s popular in his own right and had good musicality which always work a persons favour. It’s hard to say if he would’ve won without knowing who he was up against but he would’ve been up there.

Reactions: 7
I think all the pros work hard on their choreography and with their celebs; I just think some pros have been more fortunate than others with certain celebs they have gotten. Seems like the general dislike of some pros make it harder for some people to acknowledge when some have been more luckier than others.

Reactions: 3
Bill would never have done the show if it hadn’t been for lockdown/covid. He really only agreed to it because his tour got cancelled/postponed so had the free time.
But I think he would’ve done well in most other series. He’s popular in his own right and had good musicality which always work a persons favour. It’s hard to say if he would’ve won without knowing who he was up against but he would’ve been up there.
I think they might have seen him as an Ed Balls type - enthusiastic and popular but lucky to get to November. Which is probably why they gave him to Oti, a popular pro who they didn't want to leave too early but had to have a 'duffer' type as she'd just won. I reckon the same thinking was applied to partnering Kevin with Anneka (who was one of the most well known names in the pretty dire 2019 line up). Difference being Anneka turned out to be just BAD bad, not even funny bad

Reactions: 3
Sad to see Oti go :( I wonder will the pros be confirmed for the next series soon then?

Reactions: 2
I'm halfway between the others on the thread. I think Oti was definitely lucky that she got decent partners most of the time, it was either young athletes or hunky actors with tons of natural skill. Bill was the only older contestant she had but he was popular and ended up having some moves. Not all of the athletes could dance, Ugo wasn't great for example but better than someone like Rev. Richard Coles for instance.

Equally though, Oti did make the most of the opportunities that she got and her choreo with Danny was a cut above what I think many others have done with ringers. There have been several pros who I feel could have got a bit more from some partners whereas Oti did deliver and that definitely contributed to her success beyond just the celebs she got. Oti & Graeme Swann were fun but I'd have been interested to see what she could have done with Charles Venn.

I do feel that she was getting overexposed but she is a huge loss as a teacher/choreographer. They really need a good replacement (and possibly a few others being replaced) for it not to suffer in quality. I'd be disappointed if they hired another pro who was weak in several of the styles.

Reactions: 5
I'd say the pros that win have worked hard on choreography and are better teachers so they're able to get the best out of their partners. On top of that, Oti and Giovanni are very likeable and interesting people. I don't think it's luck -it's talent and an ability to get the best out of your partner while producing crowd pleasing routines.
I do think certain professionals have had a better set of celebrities than others but I also think a lot of it comes down to great choreography, teaching and being able to build a strong partnership that the audience can root for.

For every Danny Mac, there’s a celebrity with potential who didn’t go very far but may have gone further with a different pro. Someone like Aston should never have been eliminated as early as he was but Janette let him down with her choreography. I’d say the same about Dianne who has never gotten the best out of her partners IMO. A pro can be given a great celeb but it doesn’t guarantee them an easy path to the final.

Reactions: 8
It was obvious that Oti was going to leave this year with everything else she has going on, and while I have found her to be overexposed in recent years, I can't deny that she has been a brilliant pro.
I keep getting pro tour videos suggested to me since I posted that one before, and I was reminded of the nice dance Oti and Gorka did:

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It was obvious that Oti was going to leave this year with everything else she has going on, and while I have found her to be overexposed in recent years, I can't deny that she has been a brilliant pro.
I keep getting pro tour videos suggested to me since I posted that one before, and I was reminded of the nice dance Oti and Gorka did:

Ah thanks for posting this. I was looking for this clip the other day but couldn't find it 🙂

Reactions: 2
I do think certain professionals have had a better set of celebrities than others but I also think a lot of it comes down to great choreography, teaching and being able to build a strong partnership that the audience can root for.

For every Danny Mac, there’s a celebrity with potential who didn’t go very far but may have gone further with a different pro. Someone like Aston should never have been eliminated as early as he was but Janette let him down with her choreography. I’d say the same about Dianne who has never gotten the best out of her partners IMO. A pro can be given a great celeb but it doesn’t guarantee them an easy path to the final.
All my initial statement was stating was how lucky I felt she has been over the years with some of her partners; I never diminished her talent as a choreographer or teacher.

So you don't think Dianne did well with Joe? She didn't get the best out of a guy who hadn't performed to any capacity on national television before? Just wondering. On the flip side you could argue that Oti never took a non-performer to the final either; she took a massive ringer there ever has been there and 2 men who were guaranteed at least a final slot from the get go. Once again not to say she isn't talented.

Reactions: 1
It will be hard I think to find a new pro who could combine Oti's talent, inventiveness, and charisma, IMO. Jowita might be good but will have a tough job to make a big impact (though look at Nikita this year, so who knows??)

Speaking of, still sad we didn’t get to see this on the show thanks to Mabel getting Covid

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'd say Jowita will be good. She's probably up there among the best dancers on the show and is an all-rounder. Jury is out on her choreo since she hasn't done much of it on Strictly yet but Adrian Chiles wasn't as bad as I expected at Christmas so I guess she's decent as a teacher.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.