Strictly Come Dancing 2020 #6 The Aftermath

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This article is behind a paywall but in it, Oti announces that Strictly this year will be her last one:

Thoughts? I know not everyone is a fan here and it would be good to see other pros in the spotlight but she definitely is a fantastic teacher and choreographer so will be a huge loss to the show. They'll really need to search for a good replacement as the rest of the female lineup (except for Katya) rarely produce any particularly interesting choreo.
Somehow not that surprising wouldn’t be surprised if a few more leave this year as well such as Janette and maybe Giovanni (especially if he got his win. Wouldn’t be surprised if production pushed for it). I’d still put money on Jowita and Michael joining but she’ll be a big loss.

Reactions: 1
After what she did with Danny Mac, I'll never have a bad word to say about Oti 😅 :love: I think she's a phenomenal dancer, choreographer, teacher, and she's gorgeous on top of all that. Like you said, the BBC better get looking for a good replacement. She'll be a huge loss.
Speaking of Danny, I'd love for Oti to do the Christmas special with him this year. It would be unfair to give her a 3rd good one in a row but another chance to dance with Danny and an opportunity to avenge their loss 5 years ago would be a good high for Oti to leave on IMO.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
This article is behind a paywall but in it, Oti announces that Strictly this year will be her last one:

Thoughts? I know not everyone is a fan here and it would be good to see other pros in the spotlight but she definitely is a fantastic teacher and choreographer so will be a huge loss to the show. They'll really need to search for a good replacement as the rest of the female lineup (except for Katya) rarely produce any particularly interesting choreo.
It will be sad to see Oti go, even though she’s everywhere on TV, she is certainly my favourite choreographer the show has ever had. She made her dances so interesting to watch. Watching Oti and Danny dance was just incredible.

Somehow not that surprising wouldn’t be surprised if a few more leave this year as well such as Janette and maybe Giovanni (especially if he got his win. Wouldn’t be surprised if production pushed for it). I’d still put money on Jowita and Michael joining but she’ll be a big loss.
Jowita & Michael seem like certs to join soon, I hope that they have teaching/choreo ability. If so, fantastic additions for sure. Wouldn't even surprise me if Michael joined this year as there is still a vacant spot in the male lineup that they're looking to fill.

Speaking of Danny, I'd love for Oti to do the Christmas special with him this year. It would be unfair to give her a 3rd good one in a row but another chance to dance with Danny and an opportunity to avenge their loss 5 years ago would be a good high for Oti to leave on IMO.
Don't get my hopes up like that😂😂🙏🙏

Reactions: 3
After what she did with Danny Mac, I'll never have a bad word to say about Oti 😅 :love: I think she's a phenomenal dancer, choreographer, teacher, and she's gorgeous on top of all that. Like you said, the BBC better get looking for a good replacement. She'll be a huge loss.

I don't find her gorgeous in the least but agree with the rest of it, plus comes across as a lovely person. She will be a loss, but Strictly is a funny show. Every year I've heard of fewer 'celebs' than the year before and the papers write all about how the show will suffer as a result, yet time and again it's as good as ever. She'll be replaced, same as Ola Jordan etc. Good luck to her.

Oti is definitely one of the best choreographers and teachers the show has ever had. Though I must admit she scares me and I wouldn't want her to be my partner if I was a celeb on the show. 😂

I agree that there will probably be a few changes to the professional line up after this series. And the show needs it. Just hopefully they get good pros who can teach Latin and ballroom well.

Reactions: 4
Oti is a fab choreographer and teacher. I know she's not everyone's cup of tea, but she does have that knack of getting the best out of her partners. As much as I'll miss her, it does feel like the right time for her to leave as she can't really do much else (apart from win the Christmas special with Danny Mac ha).

Interesting that she chose to put it out there now, months before the series has even started - maybe so there won't be endless speculation about it during the series.

I'm not a fan of her OTT competitiveness and screaming, but I think Amy's choreography is good in that it always seems to be geared towards her making her partner shine rather than her showing off. Katya can be a bit hit a miss for me, but I do hope she gets a ringer this year just so she can go all out with it.

But yes, without Oti, choreography is a bit lacking overall. Apart from Gorka and Giovanni, I don't think any of the male pros are that great at it either.

Not surprised to see that Janette and Oti will be leaving after this year. Whatever you thought of them they’ve both been a big part of strictly in recent years.

I think there’s potential for a few more to go as well and I wonder if knowing that others are leaving could sway some people.

Reactions: 2
But yes, without Oti, choreography is a bit lacking overall. Apart from Gorka and Giovanni, I don't think any of the male pros are that great at it either.
Very true and if they're looking for a female celeb to win this year, pairing them with Gorka or Giovanni would be the best bet.

The people who I’ve a question mark on are Karen and Katya. But I just wonder with Oti and Janette leaving who they’ve danced with for so long if they’ll reassess things after the series if they don’t get good runs. As for the boys Giovanni might move on if he got a win. I think Neil,Aljaz and Gorka are up for debate as well. Whilst this cast sells tour tickets well (and would probably still sell tickets) most of them have been there a really long time. Production might push for a lot of older cast to move on.

The people who I’ve a question mark on are Karen and Katya. But I just wonder with Oti and Janette leaving who they’ve danced with for so long if they’ll reassess things after the series if they don’t get good runs. As for the boys Giovanni might move on if he got a win. I think Neil,Aljaz and Gorka are up for debate as well. Whilst this cast sells tour tickets well (and would probably still sell tickets) most of them have been there a really long time. Production might push for a lot of older cast to move on.
I think that Gorka is very much in his peak as a pro right now, don't see him going anywhere. With Oti out soon, Katya is probably the only real creative choreographer so unless she wanted to leave, I think she'll have a spot for at least another couple of years. Aljaž is a question mark - no longer giving much good choreo but if he & Janette want kids, the money has to come from somewhere and TPTB may also want someone who is willing to dance with the duds after Anton leaves, could see Aljaž in that capacity.

I think Karen wants to stay but I think it's time for her to call it a day - she's had 9 chances and her choreo is rarely that good outside of the fun styles. 2 years in a row that she's coasted to 4th place (Jamie is listed as 2nd but obviously was 4th in votes) on Charleston, Salsa & Street with little decent ballroom/latin. It's her 10th season so a good time for her to leave as well.

I do think they're going to give Giovanni a contender this year as he's turned into a bit of a serial finalist. Although he's a bit of a funny one - I think he generally gets on better with ringers like Debbie and Faye as they don't mind his tough teaching style (or even thrived on it), but female ringers are much less likely to win, so who knows

I do think they will struggle to find that elusive female winner though - someone who's good but not too good, connects with the public, yet doesn't get the 'cocky' label if they are loud or extrovert 🙄

I do think they will struggle to find that elusive female winner though - someone who's good but not too good, connects with the public, yet doesn't get the 'cocky' label if they are loud or extrovert 🙄
Good thing that it's Olympic year - I've said it before but I think they should really think carefully about who they cast - if they get the right person, it could be an easy ticket to a win.

There seems to be a degree of flak for female contenders but Kara, Caroline & Alesha all came in really good and managed to take it so there is hope.

Good thing that it's Olympic year - I've said it before but I think they should really think carefully about who they cast - if they get the right person, it could be an easy ticket to a win.

There seems to be a degree of flak for female contenders but Kara, Caroline & Alesha all came in really good and managed to take it so there is hope.
I think Alex Scott might have had a better chance of winning with a different pro *cough* Gorka *cough*. She was certainly popular enough but just wasn't a good enough dancer in the end (and also lumbered with dull routines). Not a Kevin fan, but that week with him showed she was a much better performer when she had a better teacher.

Maybe a female comedian might have a chance if they're half decent? Someone who knows how to win a crowd over. Or just a likeable TV presenter, similar to Alex. It would be great if it's a longer series, we actually get a proper journey - someone who genuinely does win the crowd over in the course of the series, male or female

Reactions: 4
Would love Katya to get a proper ringer. I know she won with Joe but even he wasn't even near one of the best male celebs the show has had. I want to see her with a Karim/Harvey type !!! Someone with endless energy.

Would love Katya to get a proper ringer. I know she won with Joe but even he wasn't even near one of the best male celebs the show has had. I want to see her with a Karim/Harvey type !!! Someone with endless energy.
Id love the same for Dianne, someone who not only can dance but who can perform and will give it everything.

• Heart
Id love the same for Dianne, someone who not only can dance but who can perform and will give it everything.
I like Karen too - not sure how she would do with a ringer though because I feel like she's always had to dumb down her routines for mid-tier contestants. I'd be worried she wouldn't amp it up when she's given someone amazing.

Absolutely! I know she's not everyone's cup of tea but she is a very creative choreographer and can really push her partners so I think would do fantastic things with someone who already has dance ability. It would be a real waste if Joe was the only remotely good partner she had and if she never got a ringer as she's capable of a lot. We really do need some proper "wow" routines considering that Oti is on her way out. As you say, Joe wasn't nearly the best and IMO, only won because of her choreo. Even if Joe was Danny Mac 2.0, the win was 4 years ago now so it's her turn to get someone good again after Seann (dud), Mike (dud) and Nicola (average).

Doesn't need to be a winner but a runner-up with the ability to go all out would be great. Could be a performer/singer type but a gymnast would be even better because they'd have the energy and ability to do some real crazy tricks.

Last edited:
  • Heart
All I want is for some of these some pros to stop relaying on fannying around for multiple 8 counts at the beginning of a dance to waste time and to distract from poor technique. It’s usually the weaker celebs that end up with dances like this but it’s frustrating. I wouldn’t even care if they allowed more choreography help for the non speciality dances. I want to see a tango not 2 people pissing about with a chess board.
Celebs should be taught the basics for a good chunk of yeh dances before the show starts (unless they are I’m not sure)

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.